Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
OSCAR F. OSBORNE AND CHARLES
L. OSBORNE. The firm of Osborne Brothers composed of the gentlemen,
whose names appear at the head of this article, is one of the largest stock
concerns of the Big Bend country. They reside about five miles northwest
from Lincoln where they have a very large estate, fitted up as a first-class
Washington stock farm. They are known as very progressive and capable
men and have demonstrated their ability in achieving a success that has
placed them among the leading stock men of the state. They have at
the present time about one thousand head of choice Red Durham and Hereford
cattle, besides very much other property. They were born in London
county, Tennessee, in 1859 and 1866, respectively, being the sons of Thomas
and Eveline (Matlock) Osborne, natives of North Carolina and Tennessee,
respectively. Oscar F. came to Washington in the spring of 1882 and
settled in the coulee in the fall of 1883, where he took a homestead and
timber culture claims. The following spring, his brother Charles
joined him and took up some more land. They joined their labors in
improving the estates and in stock raising and since that time, they have
been together in all of their ventures. The home place is on the
homestead taken by Oscar. It is well supplied with fine buildings,
corrals and all the conveniences needed to make it both valuable and attractive.
Osborne Brothers were among the first to introduce thoroughbred stock and
their brand is on some of the most valuable animals in this county.
When they first came here all supplies had to be freighted from Spokane
and Sprague and in going this distance they would pass but five or six
settlers' cabins on the road. Their first cattle market was at Fort
Spokane. Afterward they sold in Seattle, having to drive to Ellensburg
for shipment. They crossed the Columbia river at the mouth of Moses
Coulee on a hand ferry. They continued steadily at their labors and
have now become wealthy and leading citizens. Our subjects have two
brothers and five sisters, John W., Wilbur J., Mrs. Louisa Blair, Mrs.
Annie Kaylor, Mrs. Addie Robinson, Mrs. Florence Penland, and Hattie.
Oscar Osborne was married in 1896, to Miss
Lillie Scheibener, the daughter of F. M. and J. E. Scheibener, who are
mentioned elsewhere in this volume. Two children have been born to
this union, Floyd and Joannah. Our subjects were both received in
the Presbyterian church and are upright and substantial men.