Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
GRIFFITH HUGHES, who resides
about three miles northwest from Almira, is one of the thrifty agriculturists
in his section and also a first class tradesman in carpentering.
He was born in Carnarvon county, Wales, on June 4, 1859, being the son
of John and Janet (Jones) Hughes, both natives of that place. His
education was secured in the common schools of his native county and there
he remained until young manhood, during which time he learned the carpenter
trade. In 1883 he came to the United States, settling first in Utica,
New York, where he did carpenter work for two years. Next we see
him in Long Creek, Iowa, after which he went to Chicago and worked at his
trade, then returned to Iowa. In 1887, Mr. Hughes made his way to
the Big Bend country and after due investigation settled on a homestead
and also took a timber culture claim. He worked at his trade in Spokane
and later bought one-half section of land in Douglas county which is his
home. This entire section is now in a high state of cultivation and
produces excellent returns annually in small grains. The county line
runs right through the premises of Mr. Hughes, his house being in Douglas
county and his barn in Lincoln county. It is of note that one hundred
and nineteenth degree of longitude west from Washington, D. C., also passes
through his door yard. Mr. Hughes has three brothers, Hugh J., John
J., William and one sister, Jane.
At the residence of Robert T. Roberts, on
July 26, 1892, Mr. Hughes married Miss Mary J., daughter of Robert T. and
Ann William Roberts, who are mentioned elsewhere in this volume.
Mrs. Hughes was born in Beloit, Wisconsin, on September 17, 1876.
Her sisters are mentioned elsewhere in this work. To Mr. and Mrs.
Hughes, five children have been born, named as follows: John R., on December
21, 1893; a son, on November 22, 1896, and died in infancy; Emrys T., on
May 3, 1899; R. Glyndwr, on September 16, 1900; and a son, on April 9,
1902, who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes are members of the
Calvinistic Methodist church and stand exceptionally well in this community.