Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
DAVID C. WILSON, one of Chelan
county's most prominent and successful farmers, residing one and one-quarter
miles south of Leavenworth, was born in Bloomington, Macon county, Missouri,
March 31, 1851. His father, Owen Wilson, a native of Grayson county,
Kentucky, died December 16, 1894, at Milan, Missouri, aged seventy-two
years. A descendant of an old and distinguished southern family,
he was, during the Civil War, a staunch union man and was employed in the
government revenue service. For twelve years he was postmaster of
Milan, county seat of Sullivan county, Missouri, and held, at various periods,
evey office in the county. The mother of our subject, Serelda (Gilstrap)
Wilson, was born in Virginia. Her mother was a Lee, and a first cousin
of General Robert E. Lee.
Milan, Sullivan county, Missouri, was the
scene of our subject's early boyhood days, his father having moved there
in April, 1852, and building and keeping the first hotel in the town, also
being receiver of the land office from 1853 to 1855. Here our subject
attended the public schools and Milan seminary, alternately assisting his
father in the postoffice and a general mercantile store from 1864 to 1876.
Shortly after gaining his majority he made a trip across the plains to
Denver, Colorado (1870) and the "grasshopper year" of 1874 found him in
Kansas, hunting buffalo and health, the latter being greatly benefited
thereby. Returning to Missouri he rented land, going thence, in 1880,
to Custer county, Colorado, where he cultivated potatoes for the Pueblo
market with success, financially. In April, 1883, he removed to Umatilla
county, Oregon, pre-empted a quarter section of land, purchased an adjoining
quarter, and remained there seven years and six months. This was
south of Echo. In 1890 Mr. Wilson came to Leavenworth, filed a homestead
on one hundred and sixty acres of land, of which he cultivated twenty-five,
the remainder being timber and grazing land. He wintered twenty-five
head of stock.
November 14, 1875, at Milan, our subject,
was united in marriage to Fanny A. Taggart, born in St. Charles county,
Missouri, August 12, 1851. Her parents were natives of Missouri,
of old and distinugished ancestry. Her father, Reason A. Taggart,
was for eight years sheriff of St. Charles county, and during the Civil
War conducted a hotel. Her mother was Nancy (Baldridge) Taggart.
Mrs. Wilson has one brother living, James A., of Moberly, Missouri.
He served in the Confederate service during the Civil War. She has
two sisters, Kittie, widow of David H. Eaton, a merchant of Kansas City,
Missouri, and Florida, wife of George H. Stier, of Lexington, Missouri.
Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, Justin L., Owen T.,
Charles G., David C., John D., Serelda, wife of P. H. Cookson, and Nancy
B. Fraternally Mr. Wilson is a member of the A. 0. U. W. Politically
he is a Democrat, and was the first elected assessor of Chelan county,
serving two years. He attends all state and county conventions, and
exhibits an enthusiastic and patriotic interest in all campaigns.