Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
ARTHUR H. DAWSON, of Wenatchee,
Chelan county, is engaged successfully in the stock and dairy business.
Although an American citizen, he was born in England, September 29, 1858.
His father, Henry Dawson, at present residing in the county of Surrey,
England, is a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Architects.
As an architect he is eminent in his profession, although now retired from
active business, being advisory architect to the Salters Company of London.
The mother, Frances E. (Wheeler) Dawson, is a native of Kent, England.
For many years her father was a cashier in the Bank of England.
The elementary education of our subject was
received in private schools, and he was graduated from Alleyn College,
near London, in 1876. Subsequently he passed eighteen months in Germany,
pursuing a course in German literature, physics, et cetera, under a private
tutor. On his return to England he entered a printing house, with
which he remained seven years. At the expiration of his apprenticeship
he came to the United States, in 1884. Two years were spent in Florida,
where he engaged in fruit packing and orange growing. At Switzerland,
on the St. John's river, he was deputy postmaster. Thence he went
to British Columbia, on account of his health, which had become impaired
during his residence in Florida. Following five months passed in
Vancouver, he went to Seattle and accepted a position in the operative
department of the Post Intelligencer,
but the same fall he severed
his connection with that paper for the purpose of assuming charge of the
with which he remained until shortly before the disastrous
fire of 1889, when the Record
was merged with the Daily Journal.
Mr. Dawson remained with the Journal
as city editor until the plant
was destroyed by fire. He then became manager for the Remington Typewriter
Company, having charge of the Western Washington territory, with his office
in Seattle. He was also in charge of the office of the Sunnyside
Ditch Company. In 1894 he went to the Yakima Valley to prosecute
the ditch work, and was land salesman at that point until 1896, when the
company collapsed. He then went to Colville, Stevens county, where
he was elected justice of the peace and mining recorder, serving two years.
Here Mr. Dawson became greatly interested in the mining industry and operated
here and in adjoining territory until 1900. He then removed to Harrington,
Lincoln county, where he purchased the Harrington hotel, conducting the
same two years. Selling out he came to Wenatchee, purchased four
thousand acres of land on the Entiat river, and twenty head of fine Jersey
cattle, fifteen of which were registered. He at present conducts
an extenive dairy plant.
Mr. Dawson has three brothers and one sister:
Rev. Leonard Dawson, Vicar of St. Judes, Bradford, England; Dr. Bertrand
Dawson, consulting physician, Harley street, London, England; Cecil W.,
architect and surveyor, London, England; and Emily A., a teacher in the
high school, London.
July 31, 1884, at Croyden, Surrey, England,
Mr. Dawson was united in marriage to Edith A. Winton, born in Yalding,
Kent, England. Her father, deceased, was all extensive hop grower.
Her mother, Mary (Dunk) Winton, deceased, was a native of England, her
family having been prominent hop factors. Mrs. Dawson has three brothers,
Charles F. William A., and Rev. Lewis Winton, curate of an East End church,
London, England. She has two sisters, Florence, wife of Alfred Riley,
Croyden, England, and Elizabeth, wife of Hewer H. Dean of England.
Mr. and Mrs. Dawson have three children, Cyril,
a student in the Pullman Agricultural College, Harold and Kathleen.
For educational privileges the family of Mr. Dawson resides at Pullman.
He and his wife are members of the Episcopalian church. Politically
he is a Republican and his final citizenship papers were granted by Judge
Hanford, at Seattle.