Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
DAVID E. PHILPOTT, a mechant
of Lind, was born in Chariton county, Missouri, August 21, 1860.
He was the son of H. R. and Sarah E. (Lee) Philpott, whose lives are briefly
touched upon in the sketch of the life of William H. Philpott appearing
elsewhere in this volume. The father died in Missouri in 1880 and
the mother in 1866.
Mr. Philpott has two brothers living, William
H., and Lafayette M., and one sister, Harriet, who is now dead, and a brother
who died in infancy.
Mr. Philpott attended district school in his
native country until arriving at the age of thirteen years, when he commenced
farming on his own responsibility. In 1882 he commenced working on
salary on a farm, and four years later he rented the farm and conducted
it himself for four years, then in 1889, he came to Adams county and located
a homestead west of Lind. He lived upon this homestead for six years,
when he relinquished his claim and removed to another locality and purchased
railroad land. For many years Mr. Philpott experienced unusual hardships
in making a living on account of the many adversities besetting the Big
Bend farmer during the period of "hard times," but he worked hard and managed
well, so that he has become one of the well-to-do farmers in his county.
He now owns fourteen hundred and forty acres of land, three hundred and
fifty acres of which are under cultivation and well improved.
On March 14, 1886, Mr. Philpott was married
to Viola L. Elliott, a native of Carroll county, Missouri, and daughter
of Oliver and Sarah E. Elliott. The father was born in Kentucky.
They were parents of three children, as follows: William Y., James S.,
and Viola L. The mother died early in life and the father was married
again and reared a family by his second wife.
Mr. and Mrs. Philpott have been parents of
six children, Bertha E., Elliott L., William L., Hugh E., Blanche and Nellie,
all living at home.
Mr. Philpott is an active Democrat and a leader
in all matters pertaining to the betterment of the educational facilities
of his county. He was one of the first settlers in his locality and
assisted in the organization of his school district, as a member of the
board of which he held office a great many years.
In February, 1904, Mr. Philpott opened a general
store in Lind in partnership with N. B. Rathbone, and they are the recipients
of a fine patronage. They own their building on Main street and are
highly esteemed business men. Mr. Philpott owns a good residence