Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
a blacksmith residing at Washtucna, was born in Inverness, Scotland, June
15, 1867, the son of John and Catherine (McDonald) McMillan, who were born
and who died in Scotland. The father was a shoemaker by trade, and
reared a family of six children, of whom our subject was the second.
Those now living, except the subject of our sketch, are: Alexander, Duncon
and Katherine, all residing in their native country. Two, Mary and
Maggie, are dead.
As a young boy Mr. McMillan
attended the common schools of Scotland, and at the age of ten he started
in life as a cattle herder in Inverness shire, which occupation he followed
one year. He then became an apprentice to a cousin who was a blacksmith
and at the end of three years he had mastered the trade and procured a
certificate of qualification. He then engaged in working at the trade,
and soon went to England. From England he went to Ireland, where
he worked at his trade a short time, when he returned to Scotland, and
came to America in 1887. He located first at Philadelphia, where
he did blacksmithing for three months, then came to Washington and located
in Adams county in 1888. For four years after coming to this county
he worked on the farm of an uncle, then went to Kamloops, British Columbia,
where he worked at the forge four months. From Kamloops he went to
Colorado, where he spent eighteen months in a shop, going in turn to Portland,
Oregon, then after three months, to Spokane, where he followed blacksmithing
between two and three years, then went to Medical Lake and to Sprague,
remaining in Medical Lake four months and in Sprague six. In 1898
he started his present business at Washtucna, where he is doing well and
recognized to be a workman of unusual ability.
Mr. McMillan owns a
quarter-section of farming land six and one-half miles from Washtucna all
of which is fenced, but cultivated only in part. He also owns his
own lot and building in town where his business and home are situated.
On February 27, 1904,
Mr. McMillan was married to Caroline Whitthall.