Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
MRS. HANNAH LIPPOLD is an extensive
property owner residing in Lind, Washington. She was born in Germany,
August 25, 1863, the daughter of Mathias and Mary Stoffels, both of German
birth. The family came to America in 1857 and located in Clinton
county, Iowa, but later removed to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, where the
father still lives. He is a retired blacksmith, was a soldier in
the Rebellion, and well-to-do. The mother died in January, 1883,
having been the mother of eleven children, seven of whom survive her.
The brothers and sisters of Mrs. Lippold are Rossella, Minnie, Mary, James,
Anna and Susie.
Mrs. Lippold received a common schooling during
her youth and remained with her parents until her marriage on January 1,
1880, to F. W. Lippold, of Avoca, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Lippold lived
on a farm in the state of their marriage until 1883, when they removed
to Emerson, Nebraska, where they engaged in the hotel business. Here
they remained five years, during which time Mr. Lippold also dealt in real
estate. In 1889 they came to Adams county, located in Lind, where
Mr. Lippold engaged in farming and conducted a blacksmithing business.
He early acquired a considerable extent of land which later became part
of the townsite of Lind, so in this way his real estate holdings became
of great value. In later years he devoted his undivided time to his
town property. Mr. Lippold departed this life in the year 1902, leaving
a widow, and five children. The names of Mrs. Lippold's children
are: Forenz A., Clarence A., William A., Mary B., Alma E., and four, Elmer,
George H., Edwin F., and Roy C., who are dead.
F. W. Lippold was born at Davenport, Iowa,
in the year 1856. He received a good business education, and at times
during his life was a prominent farmer and business man. At the time
of his death he owned a section of land beside his city realty, which is
all now owned by the subject of this sketch. She also raises some
stock on her land, which is well improved and cultivated, and she has a
handsome home in Lind.
Mr. Lippold was a Democrat in politics, and
a member of the W. O. W. fraternity. Mrs. Lippold is a member of
the Lutheran church, and holds the office of Guardian Neighbor in the Lind
Circle, Women of Woodcraft of which she is a member of long standing.