Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JACOB KASPER is handling the
largest general store in Lind, where he has been established for some years.
He is a merchant of wide experience and his success here has demonstrated
his ability to be of a high order. His establishment is located on
the main street of the town and is a one-story brick, which is entirely
occupied with his merchandise. The basement is utilized for storing
goods and the stock carried here is worth more than thifty-five thousand
dollars. Mr. Kasper has shown marked wisdom in selecting his goods
for he has a fine variety of all kinds adapted to this trade, and the motto,
"Well bought, half sold" is one which he heeds well, for he is a careful
and shrewd buyer knows how to get bargains for his customers. This
has drawn a very large patronage to his store, which his careful business
methods have held.
Jacob Kasper was born in Poland, on January
7, 1855, the son of Jacob and Sarah Kasper. His boyhood days were
spent in his native country and there he was favored with a good educational
training. When he had arrived at his majority, he determined to try
the larger and more inviting fields of the new world and accordingly came
hither ready for business. He located in San Francisco and there
secured employment as salesman in a general store. He made the most
of his opportunities and soon was well acquainted with the lines of business
here and had made good headway in mastering the English language.
Then he started a store for himself. This was eighteen months after
he landed. Soon he removed to Forest Hill, California, and conducted
a mercantile establishment there for two years. His next location
was in Walla Walla, where he opened a dry goods store in company with W.
Rudee. He soon bought out his partner and continued the store until
1890. Then he removed to Farmington, Washington, and there conducted
a general store until 1893. On account of the panic that then swept
the country he lost heavily. After that, he opened business in Kendrick,
Idaho, the largest store in the town, and did business there until 1901.
In that year he and his brother opened a wholesale woodenware and basket
house in San Francisco, under the firm name of Kasper Brothers & Company.
Leaving the management of the concern to his brother he came to Lind and
started the business which has grown to the present large dimensions under
his supervision. The business has the form of a large department
store and would do credit to a city, and Lind is to be congratuated that
Mr. Kasper has been induced to make this his headquarters. The building
utilized is owned by Mr. Kasper and is fifty by one hundred feet.
It is packed from roof to basement floor with the choicest goods and is
the center of great activity. In 1904 Mr. Kasper sold his San Francisco
venture and is giving his entire attention to the management and building
up of his Lind store. Believing that the country will justify it,
he has led in the mercantile business in his town, and determines to make
his the best store in the county in due time.
Mr. Kasper is a strong Republican and takes
a keen interest in every movement, both political and educational, as he
is very progressive and public minded. He is a member of the I. O.
O. F. and is a leading citizen of Lind.
At San Francisco, on April 27, 1890, Mr. Kasper
married Miss Esther Lewis, a native of Poland. She came to this country
with her parents when six years of age and lived in San Francisco, where
she was reared and educated. Her parents died in that city.
To Mr. and Mrs. Kasper, one child has been born, Sylven L., aged thirteen.