Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JAMES W. HENDERSON, M. D., a
prominent physician of Lind, was born in Flora, Illinois, October 6, 1871.
He was the son of John D. and Frances (Alderson) Henderson, natives of
Pennsylvania who removed to Illinois, and later to Kansas where they farmed,
and where both died.
Dr. Henderson has one brother, Clarence, and
three sisters, Ida, Clema and Isabell. He was raised until sixteen, near
Pittsburg, Kansas, where he passed through the common schools, and from
there took a course in the Kansas normal school, from which he was graduated
in 1890. He then taught school five years, then went to the medical college
at Keokuk, Iowa, took a four years' course, and was graduated in 1899.
He went from this college to the medical college in Topeka, Kansas, where
he took a seven months' course of lectures. Seven months were then spent
in Christ's hospital, after which Doctor Henderson went to Moline, Kansas,
practiced his profession three months, then came to Lind, Washington, in
July, 1900, and has practiced here since.
In 1902 he was elected local health officer,
and the same year he was elected county coroner, and in 1903 he was appointed
deputy county health officer and physician, all of which positions he now
fills. In matters political, he is always found on the side of democracy,
and is an active party man.
In 1897 Dr. Henderson was married to Mildred
Shawger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Shawger. Mrs. Henderson died
in 1900, leaving one issue of the marriage, Philip H. The doctor was again
married in 1903, his bride being Rosanna Davis, whose family came from
Ohio. Mrs. Henderson has one brother, Robert, and no sisters.
Doctor Henderson is a member of the Modern
Woodmen and the Odd Fellows, and Mrs. Henderson is a member of the Methodist