Search billions of records on

Others - 7
Home ] Up ] Others - 1 ] Others - 2 ] Others - 3 ] Others - 4 ] Others - 5 ] Others - 6 ] [ Others - 7 ] Others - 8 ] Others - 9 ] Others - 10 ] Others - 11 ]

These pages contains transcripts of newspapers, a postal directory and a register that have been typed up from the original. 
I have no further information than what is on these pages.  You may find microfische of the originals at your local or state

Annette Piper 's Newspaper Transcripts:

Press <Ctrl-F> to search for a particular word in the page.
Press Next to move to the next match in the document

Western Post (Newspaper) February 1861

Saturday February 2, 1861

On the 29th ultimo, by the Rev. C M'CARTHY, Mr George M'CAULEY to Julia Josephine, daughter of the late Mr. T O'BRIEN, Melbourne.

Sir, in your issue of the 5th ultimo appeared an article under the head of "Highway Robbery", in which your correspondent has taken the unwarrantable liberty of denouncing my character in unmeasured terms, and without just cause. Whatever might have been the feelings which prompted that brilliant effusion, it is quite apparent that his object was to lower me in the estimation of the public, and at the same time to raise the character of a certain constable, who, no doubt, when perusing the article in question imagined the feather already in his hat, well knowing his backer, who would be conducive to the feather if he obtained it.
Now, Sir, I do not pretend to be immaculate, but confess to many faults in common with my fellow-man; nor do I object to those faults being exposed to public view; but I contend that no man has a right to furbish base and malicious falsehoods for a newspaper merely to gratify the morbid taste of some persons or to satisfy his own petty malignant feelings. For want of positive proof I am forced to draw upon my imagination to identify your veracious correspondent, whoever he may be. I recommend him not to meddle with other people's business as he is wont to do, but to use a little assiduity in his own.
I perceive in your issue of the 25th instant an article responding to your correspondent in favour of myself, who, with myself, thank the individual for his kind interference, but for my part do not consider myself worthy of the feelings expressed therein.
I think it needless to fill your valuable columns with more than I have here stated.
I am, Sir, yours obediently,
Chief Constable, Cassilis.
January 29th

Sir, The account of the "Highway Robbery" that occurred on Christmas last, near Merriwa, seems to have attracted considerable attention.
"Fiat Justitia" appears to think that an injustice has been done to Chief Constable WESTON by a misrepresentation of facts. Chief Constable WESTON may rest assured that he will have ample justice done to him as soon as a court of inquiry can be formed to take his conduct on that important occasion under investigation. As the magistrates connected with the Cassilis Bench are at present in Sydney, the Chief Constable or any of his friends are fully at liberty in the meantime to declare that two and two added together constitute five. Facts will appear on the inquiry to satisfy "Fiat Justitia" himself that his friend "had not recovered from a liberal indulgence of Christmas festivities. The presence in Cassilis for a fortnight of the three noted Liverpool Plains cattle stealers is a case in proof that our worthy chief is "not the man for Galway".
Yours truly,

J ORAM, charged with being drunk and using obscene language in Market-street, was discharged.

Martin GRADY v. C WILLIAMS. Summons under Masters and Servants Act for wages. Dismissed - no appearance.

Friday, February 1
Before his Worship the Mayor, E MARLAY, and M H LYONS, Esqrs., J.P.'s.

R LINSON pleaded guilty of being drunk in the public streets. Fined 5s., this being his first offence.

M DONOHUE was remanded on a charge of arson till Tuesday next.

J BLOODSWORTH appeared to answer a complaint of J JUPP for unlawfully detaining a grey horse, the property of Miss JUPP.
Mr JAMES appeared for complainant, Mr BRODRIBB for defendant.
James JUPP on oath stated that the horse in question was the property of his daughter, who was under age; it was purchased of G IVORY about eighteen months since, and was branded MJ on near shoulder, JB conjoined on off shoulder. On the 17th January he and Marther came into Mudgee together; they separated for a short time while he went into the blacksmith's shop; shortly after his daughter came to him and said that Mr. BLOODSWORTH had taken the horse away from her. He immediately followed him and requested that the horse should be returned, which Mr. BLOODSWORTH refused to do.
For the defence.
R HOWE was called, who said that he had been in Mr. BLOODSWORTH's service as stockman about three years. Was present when the horse in question was marked with Mr. BLOODSWORTH's brand when it was two years' old; it strayed away from Mundooran. It was unbroken. Other horses have been missed; they were not to his knowledge advertised for. He had no doubt that the horse in the yard was the one in question.
The horse was next examined.
When after a deal of cross firing between the lawyers, the Bench declared the horse to be unlawfully in the possession of Mr. BLOODSWORTH, and ordered it to be restored to Mr. JUPP. A second case for a saddle, &c., was not gone into, Mr BRODRIBB promising to give delivery of them immediately.

Saturday, February 9, 1861

On Thursday, the 7th instant, at her residence, Mudgee, the wife of Mr CAMPBELL, blacksmith, of a son.
On the 8th instant, at her residence, Gladstone-street, the wife of Mr W B HUTCHINSON (of the Mudgee Newspaper) of a son.

Tuesday, February 5
Before Messrs. MARLAY and CADELL.

M DONOHUE was placed in the dock and charged with arson.
Chief Constable HARDY having been sworn, said that about 11 o'clock on January 31st, from information he had received, he went to Oakfield, where he saw three stacks burning. He went to prisoner's residence, which is near the spot, but found he was not at home, having left about the time the fire commenced. He returned to Mudgee, and traced the prisoner to the residence of his father-in-law, where he was found in bed with his trousers on. Mr. HARDY asked if he could give any information respecting the fire? He replied, "that they took fire like all at one time". The father-in-law remarked that if prisoner knew he would not tell, as none of the family had anything to do with it. Prisoner answered, "How do you know that it was not I who did it, and turning to him (HARDY) said, "To cut a long story short, I suppose you have come to apprehend me. I expected you." He then got out of bed, and was taken to the lock up; upon being searched, a few pieces of oaten hay were found adhering to his clothes. He had no shoes on; he found him about half-past one o'clock; he does not usually sleep in Mudgee, he resides on the farm where the stacks were burnt. The hay destroyed was originally the property of prisoner's father-in-law; it had been sold under execution for rent, &c. On being apprehended WALSH appeared very excited; was not under the influence of drink. He said that he went to bed a quarter of an hour before the fire broke out; the stacks were from 15 to 20 feet apart.
By the prisoner: Saw a girl on his (HARDY's) nearing the house, who ran in and shut the door, upon his knocking heard some one tell her to open it.
Thomas BALLARD, servant to Mr WARBURTON, of Oakfield, said he knew the prisoner; the last time he saw him was on the night of the fire, when he was in his stockyard, which adjoined the stacks. Mr WARBURTON desired him to go to Mudgee for assistance; the prisoner did not ask witness to assist him to put out the fire or to go to Mudgee.
Mr J P DICKSON, who, on the evening of the fire was proceeding to Oakfield, met prisoner in the lane, when he requested him to ride back and report the fire.
Constable MORAN met prisoner in the lane; he was walking very slowly; at first he said he neither knew or cared where the fire was; upon recognizing witness he told him it was on the farm.
The Magistrate then retired, and after going carefully through the evidence, remanded the prisoner till Friday. Bail allowed.

Jas. WALSH appeared to answer a charge of obtaining from Mr CHAPPELL money under false pretences.
Mr JAMES appeared for complainant. The information having been read,
Mr T CHAPPELL swore that it was true, and that the party before the Court was the same he complained against. On the 10th January he came to the mill, and said he had about twenty acres of wheat for sale, which he eventually purchased at 8s. per bushel, and at WALSH's request gave him £60 of the money in advance. At the time of the bargain he stated that the wheat was on his farm at Oakfield, and would average about 400 or 500 bushels; delivery was promised in one month. He then considered the wheat his property. On the following day he heard that Mr HEALY had a bill of sale on the crop. He gave the £60 understanding it was to pay the reapers.
By the Bench: Did not lend it - it was given on account of the purchase.
Edward CLARKE produced a bill of sale dated 8th November 1860, registered 4th December over the growing crops on WALSH's farm. It was given to Mr John HEALY to secure to him the payment of £52 9s. He knew the farm, and was in the habit of seeing the wheat daily until it was cut. To his knowledge it was the only wheat defendant had. It was sold under execution for rent and two order s of the District Court; was present at the time of sale. Mr W SIMPSON was the purchaser. On the day the money was obtained from Mr CHAPPELL, WALSH had no power over the wheat. The amount due for rent was £230.
D CASSIN, bookkeeper to Mr CHAPPELL, remembered WALSH coming to the mill on the 10th January in company with another man, when some conversation took place about the sale of some wheat standing at Oakfield, and which Mr CHAPPELL agreed to take at 8s per bushel. WALSH requested that £60 might be advanced to enable him to pay the reapers. The wheat was never delivered. He entered the bargain in the usual mill book, which he produced.
Mr CLARKE re-called: The sale of the crops realized £333; the wheat fetched about £125.
WALSH stated that he considered he had plenty to pay all, else he should not have gone to Mr CHAPPELL for the money; the executions being all levied in a day caused all his property to be sacrificed.
Committed to take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions. Bail allowed, himself £50 and two sureties £25 each.

Friday, February 8
Before M H LYONS, Esq., J.P.
The case against DONOHUE for arson was resumed.
James WALSH knew Mr BARRY, the auctioneer and Mr HUTCHINSON of the Mudgee Newspaper. Did not recollect saying that the man who set the stacks on fire was by this time forty miles away; if he did it was only said trifingly.
Elizabeth PATTERSON resided at Oakfield; was on the farm on the night of the fire; saw DONOHUE about half-an-hour before it broke out; he had come from Mudgee; he went to bed shortly after; soon after she and Mrs DONOHUE went to bed; they all slept in the same room; did not go to sleep; seeing there was a fire jumped up and saw the three ricks were burning; she called out to DONOHUE, who, after going out to see the fire, returned to put on his trousers, and said he would go to Mudgee; did not see him again till he was brought up in Court on Tuesday.
This being the whole of the evidence, the magistrate dismissed the case.

A case against George CROFT for assaulting his wife was struck out in consequence of the non appearance of complainant.

Saturday, February 16, 1861

At Bathurst, on the 7th instant, the lady of Mr Justice DOWLING, a daughter.
On the 7th instant, at Mudgee, NSW, the lady of Andrew CARTAN, Esq. (late of Winton House, Stillargan Brewery, County Dublin), of a daughter. (Home papers please copy.

On the 10th instant, at the Mudgee Newspaper Office, the infant son of Mr W B HUTCHINSON, aged two days.

Tuesday, February 12
Before E MARLAY, T CADELL and M H LYONS, Esqrs., J.P.s.

Richard CAMDEN alias CRIB and Thomas SNOW were brought up on a charge of suspicion of having a number of stolen cattle in their possession.
W J WESTON, chief constable of Cassilis, having been sworn, said that he and constable SCULLY apprehended the two prisoners n Friday, the 8th of the present month, for having in their possession 109 head of cattle of four different brands. They said they were not their cattle, they were driving them for a Mr EASON, who resided on the Namoi. The cattle are now in charge of a constable. Yesterday a man came and said that he was the owner of them, and had authorized the prisoners to bring them to Mudgee.
Josiah EASOM, proprietor of a station on Cumbee Creek, said the prisoners were his hired servants, and were engaged to take the cattle at so much per head to Mudgee.
In answer to Mr WESTON, EASOM said that the cattle in the mob branded GF bellowed to Mr. FOSTER, they were stragglers. There was an arrangement between them that if they picked up each other's stray cattle and sold them that they should make a return, which he intended doing in this case. He had held his station between eighteen and nineteen years.
The prisoners were discharged, and orders given that the cattle be delivered to them.

Michael CONNOLLY was charged with unlawfully beating and assaulting his brother.
Pat. CONNOLLY having been sworn, entered into a long statement of grievances, from which it appeared that on the day in question he was after cutting a little corn for his filly, when he saw Mike's goats helping themselves to the best of the corn; presently Mike comes up himself, so says he to him "You are come up at the very nick; are you not quite ashamed of yourself, allowing your creatures to destroy all the property, when you have the wide bush before you for feeding the animals? Why do then bother me in this unneighbourly way?" Upon which he told him he was a ______, and then wid a big blow fetched him down; the wife and all the children came out and roared about the place; he was so hurt that he knew nothing; his wife told him Mike knocked him down a second time. As soon as he came to again he went as he was, all covered with blood, to the magistrate. Being a cripple he was very easily hurt, and he though his brother wanted to make a finish of him altogether.
W MARTIN, for the defence, stated that he was sitting in the hut during the row. Did not see Pat struck. There were about 10 rods and a fence between them. Was quite confident sure that he did not see the man knocked down or any blood. If he had been struck he had a right to have seen it.
Defendant said he had paid for bringing the brother and family out, and sure it was better to be all quiet together than living this way. He would in future let the law take its right against complainant the next time he was vexing.
The Bench said they would dismiss the case, but the next time either of them came before them, they would be most severely dealt with.

Friday, February 15.
Before E MARLAY and M H LYONS, Esqrs, JPs

Elizabeth PIPER was brought up for being drunk and using obscene language in the public streets.
Constable MILLER said he took her in custody yesterday morning for lying in a state of intoxication and using language unfit for publication.
Chief Constable HARDY said he had known prisoner two years as a most disorderly character. She had been in custody on a charge of felony, and there was a case at the present time pending against her. She had been sentenced to Bathurst for twelve months, and had since her discharge been before the Bench ten or twelve different times.
Prisoner earnestly pleaded to be excused this time; she was desirous to go and get her head dressed, and would promise never to go back to her husband again, who had been the cause of her present trouble, he having thrown a quart of milk at her.
The Bench said that she was such an incorrigible offender that they would send her to Bathurst for two years, where she would be taken care of.

T E ANDREW, boot maker, was charged with being a prisoner of the Crown at large.
Chief Constable HARDY said from information he had received he was induced to ask prisoner this morning how long he had been away from Cockatoo Island. He replied three years. In reply to a question respecting his district, he said he had done his time, and had his pass, but had lost it. He then took prisoner into custody, and had written to Sydney for information.
Case adjourned. ANDREWS to appear when summoned.

Mr A McPHAIL, of the Castlereagh River, appeared to answer a charge for furiously driving in the public streets.
Constable CAMPBELL swore that a little after 9 o'clock this morning McPHAIL was spurring his horse and urging it at its full speed. He followed him to Market Lane, and took him into custody.
Mr BRODRIBB, for defence, contended that it was necessary to prove that some one had actually been in danger.
The Bench overruled the objection, and asked McPHAIL what he had to say to the charge? He replied he was a scrubber from the interior, and was not accustomed to a town life. He could not see that much harm had been done.
The Bench said that they would discharge him this time, which rather surprised the defendant, who wildly exclaimed, "What! me, sir?"

Mr H TEBBUTT appeared upon summons under the Landlord and Tenants' Act to show cause why he should not vacate the premises occupied by him in Gladstone-street.
Mr BRODRIBB and Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) appeared for Messrs. M'ARTHUR and Co., Mr James for Mr. TEBBUTT.
Mr. WOOD deposed that that he was instructed by M'ARTHUR and Co. in March last to proceed to Mudgee for the purpose of taking possession of all property named in a bill of sale which he produced, and which was put in as evidence….(missing)…
writing for the delivery of the property, and obtained possession of the store and stock. Respecting the dwellinghouse and post-office, he told Mr TEBBUTT that it would be necessary for him to become a tenant, and agreed to let it to him at a rental of 1s a week. For a certain period Mr TEBBUTT paid the rent, but could not say exactly how many payments had been made.
Mr MACAFEE, of Sydney, said he was in Mudgee arranging business matters with TEBBUTT and GULLEY. On the 2nd February a private account was presented to Mr TEBBUTT, which contained a charge for thirteen weeks' rent. After certain reductions were made he settled with Mr TEBBUTT by giving him a cheque for the balance. He then served him with notice to quit the premises. Mr TEBBUTT was greatly indebted to his firm.
Mr WOODs recalled: Was present when the items were struck out. Would swear that 13s for rent was not one of them. Had at various times demanded the rent from TEBBUTT and was generally paid.
G TAYLOR proved the execution of a deed assigning the property, and which contained a description of the premises occupied by Mr TEBBUTT.
Mr JAMES, for the defence, first applied for a nonsuit on the ground that the serving of the notice had not been proved, which being overruled, he put Mr TEBBUTT in the box, who swore that he had never paid WOODS a single penny on account of rent for either house or post-office. Neither had he ever arranged to become a tenant. He would not swear that the words "paid H TEBBUTT" on one of the papers put in was in his own handwriting. The mortgage money had long ago been paid to M'ARTHUR and Co.
Mr MACAFEE recalled: Would most positively swear that the account for £45 12s 1d was accepted by Mr TEBBUTT in his presence, and that it included the 13s due for rent, which Mr TEBBUTT never disputed, who read the various items over in the account before receiving the balance. He again repeated that not the least objection was made to the 13s for rent.
The Magistrates retired into their private room for the purpose of going through the evidence. On their return they said they both agreed that there was not sufficient evidence, and that they must dismiss the case.

LABOUR RATES (mentioned in Sydney Prices Report)
With board and lodging or hut-room and rations, per annum - Married couples £45 to £55, farm servants £30 to £35, surveyors' men £35 to £40, shepherds £28 to £30, hutkeepers £25 to £27, bullock drivers £40 to £50, carpenters £52 to £80, Blacksmiths £60 to £80, cooks and laundresses £26 to £30, general servant £20 to £26.


A young man named LOCKART met with an accident on the Bathurst racecourse which resulted in his death.

A man named HOLMES met with a serious accident at Maitland, caused by his horse bolting at the report of a gun.

In the early part of last week, as the workman employed by Mr SYMONS, of the White Bay Hotel, at the junction of the main land with Glebe Island, were employed in blasting the rocks on his property, they were agreeably surprised by the discovery of a quantity of coin, evident thrown in amongst the crevices, for the purposes of concealment. From position in which it was found, there can be no doubt that it forms portion of some robbery committed in years gone by, the perpetrators of which have either met with their deserts by the hands of the law, or have not been able from other circumstances to recover it. The unfortunate finders are busily engaged in enlarging the hole in which it was concealed, and have sanguine hopes of reaping a rich harvest from that and other suspicious places of concealment in the neighbourhood - Empire.

Miners Protection League - A meeting was held at the stores of Messrs WALSH and Co., of Lambing Flat, for the purpose of forming a miners' protective league. About eighty persons were present. Mr STEWART was moved to the chair. It was proposed by Mr ALLAN that a fund should be raised to meet present and coming contingencies, and that they payments of members should be 5s on entrance, and 1s a month. The entrance, however, was reduced to 2s 6d. About fifty members joined, and a committee of twelve was formed. The nature of the League may be inferred from a letter written by Mr ALLAN, as secretary pro tem., to the Gold Commissioner, in which he says: - "I beg to intimate to you by letter that we are about to form ourselves into a Miners' Protection League, on of the objects of which will be to organize a body of miners' police, who will be instructed to act (if approved of by you) in unity with your (in number) inefficient force. The daring robberies which are daily being perpetrated with impunity compel us to outstrip ordinary proceedings." The Commissioner had not noticed the letter, but the meeting approved of the course Mr ALLAN had taken. - Lambing Flat Miner.

Squatting Enterprise - By the last trip of the Telegraph steamer two well-known enterprising gentlemen from Victoria have arrived in the colony with the intention of embarking in squatting pursuits on a somewhat large scale. We allude to Mr H S WILLS, sen., sand Mr T W WILLS, jun. The latter gentleman has a large Australian reputation as having been the captain, on several occasions, of the Melbourne "eleven" in the celebrated champion cricket matches between Victoria and New South Wales. His father, Mr. H S WILLS, is a squatter of large experience and considerable influence in Victoria. They have brought up with them about 20 employees, including women and children, together with 5 drays, and 111 superior rams from Messrs. COX's station at Mulgoa. In addition to the live stock mentioned, they have brought a large number of dogs, including five half bred bloodhounds, intended specially for the protection of the party. They intend to proceed immediately to the Downs, where they will take 10,000 sheep for settlement on the Mulgoa station, a distance of 200 miles due west of Rockhampton. - Moreton Bay Courier.

Adventure of a child in the bush - A gentleman residing in Queanbeyan, and on whose statement we place the fullest reliance, informs us that a few days since a little boy of the age of four years, was brought into Bungendore under the following circumstances:- A man travelling along the road from the direction of Braidwood, within six miles of Bundendore, came up to the child, who was then walking along the road as manfully as possible. Addressing the boy, he said, "Who are you and where are you going?" The child replied that his mother was dead, and his father had left him with people whom he did not like, and that he was going to look for a home elsewhere. "When did you leave home?" asked the enquirer Yesterday evening" replied the child; "I walked six miles, and lay last night in some rushes by the road side". The man fearing the boy might lose himself, brought him to Bungendore, and left him in the care of Mr P CARROL, innkeeper, whose wife received and treated the child in the kindest manner, until his guardians having missed him, came thither to seek him, when he was at once restored to their care. The child was particularly asked if he had been ill-treated by his protectors, and he said, "No, but he did not like them" A bright specimen this of the precocity of children in the bush. - Queanbeyan

Mr H L STEEL to be Surveyor and Line Inspector of the Mudgee end of the Electric Telegraph Line from that place to Bathurst.

General Registry Office, Sydney 6th February, 1861
It is hereby notified in accordance with the provisions of the Act for Registering Births, Deaths and Marriages (19 Victoria, No 34), that Mr Frederick HOGGE has been appointed Assistant Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages, at Windeyer, for the District of Mudgee, during the temporary absence of Mr W H SWANN.
C ROLLESTON, Registrar General.

Saturday, February 23, 1861

On Tuesday, February 19th, at her residence, South Head Road, Sydney, of gastric fever, the beloved wife of Mr Frederick LAWRENCE, of the Western Post, aged 39 years.

Tuesday, February 19
Before Messrs CADELL, MARLAY and LYONS, JPs
Edward METCALFE was summoned under the Masters and Servants Act for willfully damaging and destroying his master's property.
John SMITH, of the Carriers' Arms, said that he entrusted defendant with two teams to fetch a quantity of loading from Sydney. Shortly after he had occasion to go to Sydney himself, when he met the teams on Piper's Flat. The horses all appeared to be in good condition. On his return from Sydney he learnt that the horses had been so disgracefully used, that two of them had died, and the others were unable to bring the drays to Mudgee. He consequently sent fresh horses to help them home. There were six horses to each team; they had about four tons between them. Part of the loading was lost, which he was answerable for. The horses had previously bought 5 tons, and on reaching Mudgee were so fresh that they went on with the drays to the Louisa. This time they had been so disgracefully treated that there was no part of their bodies but was covered with whip marks. The defendant had money given to him for the purpose of feeding them on the road.
Edmond BROWN said, on Saturday fortnight he was near HART's at Cullen Bullen, with his dray, when he overtook SMITH's teams. One of them had two horses down. He stopped to give assistance, and asked the man why he did not unloose the trances. He replied with an oath that he would make the ____ horses get up as they were, and then with his foot and whip kicked and beat them shamefully on the head. Seeing he was determined to get them up his own way, he drove on to Mr HART's. Upon looking back he saw him still beating them, and presently say him hook two horses from the other team on to them and draw them on some yards, when the horses made an effort and got on their legs. He then gave them a tremendous thrashing. From HART's he proceeded to the usual camping ground, where after a while SMITH's teams came up, both the men riding. On their passing him, he walked up a little ridge, for the purpose of seeing how they got on, and saw the wheel of the dray locked in a tree. The road was wide enough for three drays. In trying to extricate the wheel, the horse was thrown down. After unfastening it, they dragged it some few yards with the other horses till it got up, when it was shamefully whipped.
John SMITH said he gave £26 for the horses which were killed. One of them was worth £40.
Mr JAMES, for the defence, called METCALF, who said he agreed to drive one of the teams for 25s per week. He performed his work properly, and returned the horses that were entrusted to his care. SMITH, when he met them on the road, exchanged two horses, one of which died. He, however, had not charge of it, as it was in the other dray. He had the money to pay for tolls, &c.
The Bench said they had no doubt as to defendant having used more than lawful violence, and that he was responsible to a certain extent. It was an offence which deserved being severely dealt with, but considering the deficiency of evidence, they would only make an order that the wages due should be forfeited.

Friday, February 22.
Before Messrs LYONS and MARLEY.
George CROFTS charged with assaulting and using improper language to his wife.
Amelia CROFTS said that the defendant her husband had only contributed 17s 6d toward the support of herself and children since Christmas, and as she could not starve, she had exerted herself to keep them by taking in washing, and had engaged a woman to help her. A few days since her husband, who was doing no work, came home, and after called her names unfit for publication, said he would allow no more washing to be done in the house, and commenced pulling the clothes off the line upsetting the wash tubs, and said that if she dared to put up her arm to prevent her from doing so he would break it. The landlord of the house had that day applied for the rent, she asked her husband for the amount, he called her a ______ _____ , and she was to pay it herself the best way she could. She said she was quite willing to work for the maintenance of herself and four children, but would not keep her idle husband, who could, if he liked, support his family.
CROFT, in defence, said he was willing to support his family, and had given his wife 17s 6d since Christmas. He did not approve of her following the occupation of washing neither did he see that there was any reason for her to annoy him when he came home, with the noise occasioned by ironing when he wanted to go to sleep. If she worked from six in the morning till six at night it was quite long enough.
The Bench having tried in vain to reconcile the parties were obliged to dismiss the case on account of there being no evidence as to the assault.
The poor woman seemed to be much surprised at the decision.
(By consulting a professional man she will find she has her redress, and that the magistrate will do her justice),

There was a second case against CROFT for unlawfully assaulting the woman who assisted his wife in her washing.
Mary FREEMAN having been sworn, said on the 15th February CROFT came home and ordered her out of the house, as he would have no more washing done. He then upset the tub, threw the clothes all over the place, and pushed her out of the house. Upon asking him for her wage, he said "You ______, if you come here again, I will knock your ______ brains out with this rail", and otherwise used her very roughly.
CROFT, in defence, said he had only gently led her to the gate.
Complainant not wishing to press the charge, as she had not been much hurt, the case was dismissed, the Magistrates cautioning CROFT against being brought to Court again.

Two nuggets have been found at Ophir. One weighing 104ozs., and the other 40oz. The two nuggets were found by Mr DRISCOLL and party, who have been on the Ophir for the last nine years. The large nugget was got on the 24th November, the smaller one on the 5th December last. For private reasons these finds were not made known till to-day (Saturday, 16th instant). - Herald's Correspondent.

Stolen or Strayed on Wednesday last, Feb 13th, from Mr DOUGLAS's Paddock, Macdonald's Creek, one light Bay Horse, branded WHHM on near shoulder, saddle marked on the back near side and on the withers off side.
£5 Reward, if stolen, will be given on conviction of the thief, or £2, if strayed, on delivery of said horse to Mr W BROOKS, or Mr Wellington HUME, Burrundulla.

Notice is hereby given that the above reward will be paid for information leading to the conviction of the parties who stole, on the evening of January 22, Two Bay Horses, one branded XJ on near shoulder, and HH on off shoulder; the other TM CW on near shoulder, HH on off shoulder. The horses has since been found between Mudgee and Cassilis in a most shameful condition.
Information is requested to be given to Mr HARDY, Chief Constable of Mudgee; or to Henry HINES, care of Mr BARNETT, Coach and Horses, Elgin-street, Maitland.

Notice to Stockowners
In a herd of my cattle, now on the road to Mudgee for sale, is one bullock with an illegible brand, and one Cow branded F F. The owner of either of them can have them, or the price they realize, less expenses, by applying to the undersigned; and if not claimed within three months the proceeds will be handed to the Mudgee Hospital.
James HALL, Urawilky, February 12th.

Western Post (Newspaper)September 1861

September 4, 1861

On the first September, at the Wesleyan Parsonage, Mudgee, by the Rev. T ANGWIN, Donald Martin M'LEAN, third son of Mr John M'LEAN, Merri Merri Creek, to Mary Anne, eldest daughter of Mr Henry SMITH, Narroway.

Monday, September 2
Before the Police Magistrate, his Worship the Mayor, and Mr MARLAY

John BURGESS v H W OLIVER. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) appeared for defendant and consented to a verdict for plaintiff, the amount being due for bats and ball purchased for the use of the Eastern Cricket Club, of which Mr OLIVER was unfortunately appointed treasurer.
DICKSON and BURROWS v M M TWOHY - £6 1s 6d for goods sold and delivered. No return.
DICKSON and BURROWS v H P WILSON - £2 10s for goods sold and delivered. Postponed till next sitting.
Jacob JULIAN v Bridget LYNCH - £3 8s 11d goods sold. Verdict for plaintiff.
John STAHL v WILKINS and GALLATLY - £4 the price of a lathe. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) for plaintiff. John STAH said he sold the lathe in question about ten weeks since for £4, its real value being £21; he had applied several times for the amount; the last time he threatened to sue them for it. G MULLER proved delivery for the lathe, and having heard one of the defendants say, when asked for the money, that they did not like Court work, and would pay without it. Francis COX gave evidence to the same effect. For the defence, J GALLATLY said that they never actually purchased the lathe; they were in want of one, and told plaintiff that he could bring the one he had for sale for inspection, and if it suited them they would pay for it. The lathe was brought during his absence and it was still lying in the place where it was left; it was no value, having apparently been made about the commencement of the Christian era. Cross-examined by Mr CLARKE - Mr LYONS had spoken very highly of the lathe; the late rain had if anything improved it. T WILKINS said neither he nor his partner had agreed to take the lathe; it was merely left for inspection. Verdict for plaintiff.
William HAYES v T ISBESTER - £3 reward offered in "Western Post" for a mare which plaintiff found and delivered. Verdict for amount.
Martin GRADY and Wife v R HUGHSON - £4 for washing done. Mr CLARKE said the amount was not paid, on account of the washing not having been properly done; however as Mr HUGHSON was from home he would pay the money rather than have such a trumpery affair stand over. Verdict for plaintiff by consent.
H R REUBEN v Louisa HUTCHINSON - £4 12s promissory note given by her late husband, William Battley HUTCHINSON. Mr BRODRIBB objected to the information, and the case was adjourned until next sitting to enable Mr REUBENS to amend his plea.
R HEARD v S BOWMAN - £7 6s 6d for board and lodging. Mr BRODRIBB for plaintiff. The defendant not appearing, constable KELLY proved the service of summons. BOWMAN said he should have to consult his lawyer about it. R HEARD said the amount claimed was for board, &c., to defendant (the blind man) and his boy, and his two horses; when he presented the account he promised to pay as he obtained a sum of money due to him. Verdict for the amount claimed.
C LAMROCK v John SMITH - £3 12s Not served.
C LAMROCK v George BURGESS - £7 for mare sold. Verdict for plaintiff.
REUBENS v T FOWLER - £4 5s 9d goods sold. Verdict for plaintiff.
G HOSKINGS v H TEBBUTT - 10s for work and labour done. G HOSKINS said he had killed and cleaned two pigs for defendant, and had sent in a bill for the usual charge, viz., 5s each. H TEBBUTT said before employing HOSKINS he inquired of him what would be his charge, when he said 2s 6d each. He had paid that amount into Court, having refused the demand, for which he was sued, upon principle. Verdict for the amount paid into Court.
H R REUBEN v James KIRKNESS - £7 10s 7d for goods sold. Settled.
G HOSKINS v Patrick HOGAN - £3 3s 6d for meat sold. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) for plaintiff. Mr BRODRIBB for defendant. G HOSKINS said he sold the meat in question to defendant in 1859, at 1 ¾ d. per lb. cash upon delivery; the beef was sent by his orders to DALY, the baker, with a bill, which he did not pay; he consequently now charged him the credit price. A boy of the name of VOWLES proved the delivery of the meat to HOGAN, who, upon taking it out of the cart, said that it had not been properly bled. P HOGAN denied ordering the beef. On the day in question he was looking for a mare he had lost, when HOSKING pointed her out to him; he afterwards asked him if he wanted any meat; he said "No, he had just had a quarter from his son". He then requested him to ask Mr DALY if he wanted any; he (HOGAN) spoke to DALY, who said he would have a quarter. He again saw HOSKING, and the meat was sent to DALY; DALY said he would pay for it, and was still willing to do so. Verdict for plaintiff.
E CLARKE v WILKINS - £2. Settled.

Tuesday Sept 3
Before the Police Magistrate, his Worship the Mayor, T CADELL and E MARLAY, Esqrs.

Alfred JACKSON, charged with stealing a pocket book. Mr BRODRIBB appeared for prisoner. Constable MILLER said that the prisoner was given into his custody yesterday, for stealing a book containing £14, from the house of Thomas MILLS; upon telling him the charge he said that he was not guilty, and that he would not go to the lock-up. He then offered him and the other constable a pound each if they would say nothing about it. Thomas Edward MILLS, of the Royal Oak, stated that about two o'clock a lodger informed him that he missed a pocket book, which he had placed behind the bar. He immediately asked JACKSON if he knew anything about it; he replied "No". He then made search, found it under a dray in the yard, and took it to Mr PLAYER, who claimed it as the one he had lost. Upon examination, it was found that the money was gone. He said to JACKSON "You are my prisoner until the arrival of the police". Whilst ascertaining from PLAYER the amount of his loss JACKSON contrived to slip out; he followed and requested him to return; upon his refusing to do so, he (MILLS) knocked him down with a small iron bar he had in has in hand. Mrs MILLS then informed him that the servant had just told her that she had given the book to prisoner at his request. Prisoner exclaimed with an oath "Yes, I did not take it, it was given to me". At this stage of the proceeding prisoner requested to be allowed to sit down, as he felt very weak from the effect of the blow Mr MILLS had given him and the scuffle there was to take him to the lockup. Prisoner gave PLAYER £4 saying there is your money, say no more about it. Prosecutor asked him for two five pound notes; he said if he had them he would have returned them, or that he would borrow the amount rather than there should be any loss. Thomas PLAYER, cattle dealer, of Emu Plains, was at present residing at the Royal Hotel. Prisoner was there on Thursday; he did not know much about the "gentleman". He paid a jockey chap of the name of "Billy the Weasel" £10 and invited prisoner to have a glass; after paying for the drink, he placed his pocket book on a shelf inside the bar, and went to speak to Mr MILLS. The only person in the bar with himself, the bar girl, and prisoner. About two minutes after he returned for his pocket book and found that it was gone. He stated his loss to MILLS, who went out for JACKSON, and later returned with the pocket book. Upon examining it he found that the notes were gone. After some little conversation JACKSON ran out of the house; MILLS stopped him; he then threw down four notes saying "There, that is all the money belonging to you". He had not received the two five pound notes; he was not tipsy at the time. He handed the pocket book and four notes to the constable. Ellen MOORE, bar maid, said she was called out of the bar by the prisoner, who asked her to give him the pocket-book which was amongst the bottles; she complied with his request, thinking that it belonged to him, and that he did not like to go behind the bar for it himself. She afterwards informed Mrs MILLS of the circumstance. Mr BRODRIBB submitted that there was no larceny proved and that no false representation was made by his client. The Bench said there was ample evidence for a jury, and committed prisoner. Later in the day JACKSON was again put in the dock upon a charge of severely assaulting constable MILLER for which he was sentenced to one month's imprisonment.

A special meeting of the Justices of the Peace was held in the Court House on Tuesday for the consideration of applications for the transfer of licenses.
New licenses were granted to -
James Joseph WILSON for a new house situated at Burrundulla Flat, to be called the Burrundulla Hotel; and to John SWORDS on the application of Mr BRODRIBB, Farriers' Arms, Mortimer-street.
The following applications for transfer of licenses were granted -
George McQUIGGAN, Bushman's Home, Perry-street; Thomas HEALY, New Royal Oak, Mortimer-street; Luisa H B HUTCHINSON, Welcome Inn, Apple Tree Flat; Robert WILSON, Carriers' Arms, The Lagoons; and Mathew SHARP, on the application of Mr CLARKE, Denison Hotel, Market-street.

Mrs DUVALL of Cedar Creek, near Millfield, fell into the fire, and was so much injured that she died the same evening. It is supposed she had indulged too freely with a bottle of rum.

Whereas I have in my possession a yellow and white working bullock branded WA on the near rump. The owner can have the same by paying expenses. George IVERY, Spring Flat, near Mudgee, August 27, 1861

I have now in my possession a Chestnut Horse, star in forehead, near hind foot white, branded WC near shoulder. The owner can have him by applying and paying for this advertisement. John CAFÉ, Galarayambone, Castlereagh River.

September 7, 1861

On the 2nd instant, at the residence of her mother-in-law (Mrs NEVILLE), Lewis-street, Mudgee, the wife of Mr John NEVILLE, of Deridgery, of a son.
On Wednesday, the 4th September, the wife of Mr F B GULLEY, of a daughter.

LEWIS and QUIN, two years' hard labour, for an unnatural offence.
GRANT, for forgery, eighteen months.
ATKINSON, for murder, found guilty.
SMITH, for robbery, acquitted.

From our Correspondent
…SERIOUS ACCIDENT - A serious accident occurred here the other day to a child belonging to Mr KENNEDY. A man who was using a sharp instrument, happening to lay it down, an elder child of Mr KENNEDY took it up and commenced chopping chips; his little brother who was sitting near happened to place his hand on the log where the elder child was chopping, when the axe came into contact with it, nearly severing one of the fingers, and otherwise seriously injuring the hand. The little fellow has been sent into Mudgee for medical aid.

From a Correspondent
CAPTURE OF BLACK HARRY - Since my last communication, the blackfellow, when he left the little girl started for the Namoi, but being hard pressed, he turned back to Mr LLOYD's run, and on Sunday, while Mr HUMPHRIES was riding to the Bora, he came unexpectedly on him near the track, and having a double barreled gun with him, the black showed no resistance, but marked before him to the Bora, from whence he was escorted to Gunnedah by the police.

From a Correspondent
The usual monthly Court of Requests was held at this township on Monday, 2nd instant, before the Police Magistrate. The list of cases was a short one. After disposing of which, Mr MARSH proceeded with the case of M'LAUGHLIN, who had been for some weeks past under remand upon a charge of cattle stealing. The defendant is a lad of about fourteen, in the employ and living in the house of Mr PROCTOR, who carries on the business of a butcher at the Iron Barks, near Stoney Creek. The cattle in question were one bullock and two cows, which were stated to belong to a station called Goubullion, they were missing, and certain hides were found in a digger's hole some half mile from PROCTOR's. A great mass of evidence was taken, chiefly, however, in the magistrate's private room, and the inquiry was closed on the above mentioned day by the committal of the lad. Bail allowed.

Crown Lands Office, Sydney, 30th August, 1861
(…rent stated for the year ending 30th June next, must be paid within sixty days from the present date…the assessment for the present year, as hereunder stated, must also be paid within sixty days from the present date…)
Name of Tenderer, Name of Run, Rent, Assessment
William MEERS, New Thedadgen, £10, £20
John BALFE, Back of Lower Mudall West, £22 13s, £20
Andrew KERR, Carlsron, £10 2s 6d, £20
A and J CRUIKSHANK, Back Grawhey, £12 13s, £20
John BROWN, Belar Cowell, £10, £20
John BROWN, Back Nyingan, £11 1s 6d, £20
John A GARDINER, New Mundrabah, £10, £20
Florent MARTEL, Back Tabratong West, £10 10s, £20
Florent MARTEL, Camp Hole on Boburdanell Creek, £10 10s, £20
C S OAKES, West Bogan No. 2, £65, £17 3s 9d
E B CORNISH, West Bogan No. 9, £120 1s, £15
Hugh MITCHELL, East Bogan No. 10, £260, £10
Hugh MITCHELL, East Bogan, No. 11, £251, £10
Hugh MITCHELL, East Bogan, No. 12, £193, £10
Alfred C THOMAS, East Bogan No. 13, £211 11s 6d, £10
Alfred C THOMAS, East Bogan No. 14, £211 11s 6d, £10
Frank A POWELL, East Bogan, No. 16, £61, £10
Frank A POWELL, East Bogan, No. 17, £81, £10
James FOOT, East Bogan No. 29, £187, £10
James FOOT, East Bogan No. 30, £202, £10
John R GOSLING, West Bogan No. 7, £153, £10
John R GOSLING, West Bogan No. 8, £215, £10
Hugh MITCHELL, West Bogan No. 10, £285, £10
Hugh MITCHELL, West Bogan No. 11, £355, £10
Hugh MITCHELL, West Bogan No. 12, £322, £10
T L RICHARDSON, West Bogan No. 13, £165, £10
George F ACKROYD, West Bogan No. 14, £168 10s, £10
Joseph W LOWE, West Bogan No. 16, £63, £12 10s
Thomas and William KIT, West Bogan No. 17, £66, £10
W L and R T REID, West Bogan No. 20, £50, £10
W L and R T REID, West Bogan No. 21, £50, £10
W L and R T REID, West Bogan No. 22, £50, £10
Llywelyn HUGHES, West Bogan No. 25, £78, £10
Llywelyn HUGHES, West Bogan No. 26, £82, £10
J S JOHNSTON and C W ROBBERDS, West Bogan No. 29, £123 0s 6d, £18 15s
W L and R T REID, West Bogan No. 30, £150, £10
Edward QUIN, Albert Waterhole, £34 3s 6d, £10
A M'KENZIE, Meadows, £20, £10
Richard ALDRED, Corse's Courle, £20, £10

Crown Lands Office, Sydney 8th August, 1861
Name of Tenderer, Name of Run, Rent, Assessment
F WERRITT, Tatala, £11 5s, £20

70 Head of Very Superior Pigs, more or less, about 20 of which are fit for the butcher. To be delivered on the station. Apply to Andrew G MACKENZIE, Rockgidgiel, via Oakey Creek.

The Undersigned has about Thirty Head of Fat Cattle for Sale, delivered at Coolah or Mudgee. Apply to Andrew G MACKENZIE, Rockgidgiel, via Oakey Creek.

Any person found Trespassing on the Runs known as Mathaguy, Tucklebone, or Calf-Pen, in the Bligh District, without permission from the proprietor, or the person in charge, will be prosecuted with the utmost rigour of the law. (Signed) E FLOOD, Junior. Marthaguy, July 27th, 1861.

Notice - I hereby caution all persons against supplying Goods on my account without my written order. Thomas SPICER, Upper Meroo, September 4th.

Wednesday, September 11, 1861

Information wanted respecting William CUMMINGS, who left the Turon seven years ago and went to Hartley, where he met with a person who took him to the Big River. Any account of him will be thankfully received by his brother, John CUMMING, Care of Mr W PRICE, Storekeeper, Pyramul.

Mr Robert H SMITH, is appointed agent for the Western Post and Mudgee Newspaper.

Mr SLACK has been appointed agent for the Western Post and Mudgee Newspaper.

At her residence, Green Swamp, on Monday last, September 9, Mrs William LEWIS, of a son.

At Ryalstone, on the 4th instant, of diptheria, Mary Anne, daughter of Mr James Ogilvie, shoemaker, aged four years and eight months.

Friday, September 6th
Before the Police Magistrate, and E MARLAY, Esq.

Richard BROWN, charged by Constable MOREN with being drunk and using obscene language in the public streets, was fined twenty shillings, or three days, with the promise of two months the next time he appeared before the Court.

Post Office Robbery
Charles RIDGEWAY, of Windeyer, was charged with stealing a letter containing four five pound notes, the property of the Postmaster General. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) conducted the case for the Crown. J P EWING, corporal of the Western Patrol, said he apprehended the prisoner on Wednesday, upon warrant, for stealing a letter containing twenty pounds. On the way to the lock up, prisoner said that he took the notes with no felonious intention, the letter was posted too late for that mail, and he intended to make up the amount and dispatch the letter by Friday's mail. He further stated that sixteen pounds of the money was put in an old store near the post office; he searched the place in prisoner's presence without success. Upon searching prisoner he found two shillings and a piece of paper. He produced a receipt and a five pound note he had received from Ah Kay. Prisoner had for some time past acted as postmaster. Had never heard any complaints respecting the management of the post office. Prisoner had paid him four pound for a trader's license a short time after the mail started on Tuesday.
Ah Kay, Chinaman: The usual oath having been administered, Ah Kay blew a lighted candle out, expressive of his wish that should he tell a lie, that he might be similarly extinguished. He then stated that the prisoner was the man he charged with stealing the money. On Tuesday morning he called upon Mrs STRIKE for the purpose of getting two five pound notes for a ten. The note produced was one of them; could swear to it by its being sewed up. After obtaining the two five pound notes he went to Mr KEPPIE's store and asked SMITH to put them and two others in a letter and direct them to Sydney. He next took the letter to the post office. Prisoner gave him a receipt for it. Some time after Mrs STRIKE gave him one of the notes (the one in Court); he immediately went to the Corporal about it.
R H SMITH, of Windeyer, said he knew prisoner; had enclosed the notes in a letter which he addressed and sealed for the Chinaman, who afterwards took it away; he went in the direction of the post office.
Mary STRIKE, storekeeper, deposed that she had exchanged a ten pound note for Chinaman; one of them was cut in two; she sewed it up in Ah Kay's presence, with black thread; could swear to it, had tied a knot at the top and made a double stitch at the bottom. Later in the day, prisoner presented the note and asked her to give him change for it; she at once recognized it and said it was one she had given to the Chinaman in the morning; he exclaimed "Yes, but you see I have got it now"; she then changed it for him. The note before the Court was the same.
Henry TEBBUTT, postmaster of Mudgee, said he had known the prisoner some years; he had lately had the management of the Windeyer office; letters addressed to Sydney would have to pass through the Mudgee office. The list before the Court was one he received on Tuesday; it contained a list of two registered letters, both of which he received and forwarded to Sydney. The receipt produced was, he believed, in prisoner's handwriting; it was the usual receipt given for registered letters. The letter mentioned upon it, was not included in the list, and had not been sent to Mudgee. The Windeyer mail had been conducted with great regularity.
This concluded the evidence for the Crown. Prisoner declined making any remarks and was committed to take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions. Bail allowed, himself £100, and two sureties £50 each.

Saturday, September 7th
Before the Police Magistrate, His Worship the Mayor, and E MARLAY, Esq.

Edward COLLINS, William COLLIER, William BURNS, James CHAMPION, and John GIBSON were brought up charged with having committed the late robbery of the up mail. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) appeared for the Crown. Captain Edmund Montague BATTYE, on oath, said that he was a Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New South Wales, and resided at Bathurst. On Saturday night, the 30th August, he received certain information that the Mudgee Mail Bag had been stolen, and at the request of the mail contractor at Bathurst, he proceeded with him on the following morning to LEIGHTON's public house, situated near Cherry Tree Hill. He arrived at LEIGHTON's on Monday evening. From information he subsequently received, he apprehended the prisoners in the bush, about three quarters of a mile from LEIGHTON's, on the Mudgee side. He found three of them near a camp, the other two about two hundred and fifty yards from the camp. The prisoners were searched in his presence, and only one silver coin was found on one of them. He had chief constable TAYLOR, some police, and blacks with him; he employed them in making a search of the neighbourhood, shortly afterwards Mr TAYLOR cheered, and held up the parcel now before the Court. He examined the bundle and found it to contain four gold rings, which were in a percussion cap box, rolled up in paper as they then appeared,. He also found old notes of the Bank of New South Wales to the amount of five hundred and fifty-four pounds; amongst these notes are forty, five-pound notes. He then confined the prisoners on a charge of robbing the mail. He produced the Crime Report on the second September. He then found a report of the mail robbery. He had examined some of the notes produced, and found the numbers to correspond in description with those in the Crime Report. He also found that the four rings corresponded in description with four rings stated to have been sent in a letter to Mr MILLS, of Mudgee. He told the charge to the prisoners; they made no reply. The prisoners COLLINS and COLLIER afterwards stated that they never left the camp the whole of the evening, not did the prisoner CHAMPION leave it. They also said they never left the camp for some days, but that prisoner GIBSON and BURNS left them on Thursday and did not return again to the camp before late on Friday night.
Samuel TAYLOR said he was chief constable at Rylestone; on the 4th of the present month he proceeded to LEIGHTON's public house. He there joined Captain BATTYE, and acted with some blacks drew his attention to the bundle produced; the end of which only was visible; it was forced into a hollow tree lying down. He took the bundle down - the one now produced, he then cheered to the party, having discovered that the bundle contained money. He afterwards with Captain BATTYE examined the bundle and found the notes and rings produced. The prisoners were given into his charge by Captain BATTYE, and he escorted them to Mudgee. This morning he showed the rings to Mr MILLS who claimed them as his property. The whole of the prisoners were remanded until Wednesday next, in order to obtain witnesses from Sydney.

Monday, September 9th
Before the Police Magistrate, E MARLAY, Esq., and Captain BATTYE.

J COUGHLAN was charged with being drunk. Upon being asked what he had to say, he denied being drunk; he was merely over excited with the treatment he had experienced from his wife. He had only drank a glass of wine, which would not affect him. The lock up keeper said the prisoner was incapable of taking care of himself when brought to him. His wife had likewise applied for a summons against him; she said that he had not done a day's work since he was last discharged. The Bench said that he had had ample warning from them; however, as he did not heed it, they had determined to write to Sydney and have his ticket cancelled.

T ALLEN, Rylestone
P A BECKETT, Tambaroora
Dennis BUTLER, Dubbo
Bryan CARR, Dubbo
Jas. CHILVERS, Tambaroora
Walter D'ARCY, Tambaroora
Chas., DENNIS, Orange
Jas. DONOVAN, Orange
R F DOYLE, Dubbo
G J FIELD, Tambaroora
A GARDAN, Orange
A GARBON, Orange
Mr GIBSON, Cassilis
Jno. HOSKING, Orange
Richard JANE, Mudgee
Thos. JACKSON, Dubbo
Jas. JOSS, Tambaroora
Geo. KELGOWER, Dubbo
E LEE, Dubbo
C M'MAHON, Wellington
M A MOORE, Rylstone
Geo RAWLING, Dubbo
John RILEY, Dubbo
Jas. RUSSELL, Hargraves
David SHORT, Tambaroora
J W SLACK, Merton
F SMITH, Wellington
Richard ROAME, Dubbo
J SPEAMS, Rylstone
Thomas ST.PENDED, Orange
M WARD, Merton
J G WHITE, Tambaroora
F WHITE, Tambaroora
Mr WHITTY, Cassilis
D ZARMER, Orange

Crown Lands Office, 6th September, 1861

Applicant, Name of Run, Area, Price, Cost of Measurement, Deed fee
Wellington District
Fanny CAMPBELL, Bunglegumbie, 200acres, £200, £7, £1 5s
John SMITH, Gamboola, 320 acres, £320, - , £1 10s (x 2)

Marthaguy Creek
To be held 24-26 September, 1861
Stewards: Messrs Joseph SIMPSON, Paul HARFORD, W M'MAHON, James READFORD, Thomas FANNING, Hugh MUNRO, Wm. CRICK, Charles REEVES, John JONES. Judge: Jonathan HASSALL, Esq.; Clerk of Course and Stabler: Mr C FENWICK; Secretary and Treasurer: W RODNEY, Esq.

To be held 15-17 October, 1861
Judge: Mr James HALL; Treasurer: Mr David M'CULLOCH; Clerk of the Course: Mr William SMITH; Stewards: Mr John M'MAHON, Henry B RUNDLE, Joseph M'CULLOGH, Mr A GORDEN, Mr James MUDIE.

September 14, 1861

Wednesday, September 11
Before the Police Magistrate, E MARLAY, Esq., and D DUNLOP, Esq (Wellington).

Edward COLLINS, William COLLIER, William BURNS, James CHAMPION, and John GIBSON were brought up for re-examination upon a charge of having robbed the up mail. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) conducted the case for the Crown.
Captain E M BATTYE stated, in addition to his former evidence, that on the 4th inst. he searched for the missing mail bag; he had some blacks with him to whom he gave instructions not to disturb any plant they might discover. About 12 o'clock one of the blacks called his attention to a large mail bag lying under the branch of a fallen tree on the side of a small gully. The bag was empty; the ticket and string produced were attached to the bag. The bundle found was discovered ninety yards from the prisoners' camp, which was situated about a quarter of a mile from LEIGHTON's.
Henry TEBBUTT, postmaster, Mudgee, proved the non-arrival on the 30th August, of the large Sydney mail bag, due that day. William CORDEROY, postmaster, Bowenfell, said he received the bag on the 29th and delivered it to the driver of the Mudgee mail. John LANKSHEAR, driver of the mail, said he remembered receiving the bag. He had seven and a half passengers; owing to the state of the roads he was very late before he reached LEIGHTON's, where he and the passengers stopped. No one had charge of the bags during the time he was in the house; the night was wet and dark. He proceeded the same night to the foot of Cherry Tree Hill, where the passengers refusing to walk, obliged him to return to LEIGHTON's which he reached about two o'clock. He remained in the coach all night in front of the house. On the following morning, when between COLLINS's and Keen's Swamp, he was told by a passenger that the large mail bag was missing. He did not stop to see if such was the case because he thought the person was joking. Upon reaching Cunningham's Creek, where he had to hand the bag to the other driver, he found that it was gone. He could not have delivered it by mistake, and did not see it after putting it into the coach at Bowenfells. The coach was boxed all round, the bag was placed under the hind seat, and could not have fallen out. Did not know the prisoners. Charles PUGH said that he was a passenger and that he informed the driver that the large bag was missing. Holyoak WOOD, clerk at the Bank of New South Wales, Sydney, said that he made up a parcel of notes for Mudgee, on the 27th August. He had entered the numbers in a book which he produced; there were 350 one pound and 40 five pound notes; could swear to the notes before the Court. George CAMPBELL, messenger to the Bank, said he posted the parcel and produced the registered receipt he received from the post office clerk.
D LEIGHTON said that he was landlord of the "Rest and be Thankful" Inn, Running Stream. He knew two of the prisoners. While the mail was at his house on the 29th August, GIBSON was outside pretending to be sick; he considered he was only gammoning. There were three other men in the house who left with the prisoners, GIBSON went a different direction to the others. Had been shewn by Captain BATTYE the spot where the notes were found; on the night in question GIBSON went that way. He returned in about three quarters of an hour after, and said that he had lost himself. BURNS came back about six minutes after and left at six o'clock on the following morning; GIBSON remained. BURNS returned and remarked to GIBSON "that it was all right"; he afterwards said that he had been to his mates to see if he could get some money, but did not succeed. Later in the day GIBSON offered to buy him (LEIGHTON) a pair of boots and trousers, if he wanted them. In the evening both said that they were going have a "good spree"; he advised them to return to the camp, they declined doing so before dark. There was no one looking after the coach the night the bag was stolen; it was dark; there were no lamps, and anyone could have taken the bag out of the coach on the off side without being seen.
Margaret LEIGHTON, daughter to former witness, remembered seeing GIBSON and BURNS about the place while the mail stopped. They left about the same time as the coach; GIBSON returned half an hour afterwards. BURNS came up and asked GIBSON where he had been, he replied" that he had lost himself", BURNS said "that is a ___ fine thing: there is no need to be afraid".
John COBB, road contractor, Cherry Tree Hill. The whole of the prisoners were in his employ. When he hired them they said that they had come from Bathurst; that they were without money and quite destitute. He had not given them any money, but had supplied them with rations. They lived together. He was present when the money was found; the place was about eighty yards from the men's camp, and about fifteen from the place where they worked. W J MILLS, jeweler, said he had sent three rings and some gold to make a fourth, to Sydney. He had since received a letter, that they were returned to him by post. He had not received them; the three rings in Court were those he sent, and the fourth was the one he ordered to be made of the gold.
Mary Ann SMITH, wife of Charles SMITH of Lambing Flat, said she was a passenger from Bowenfells, on the 29th August. She recollected seeing the mail bag put into the coach; the man had to push it with his feet to get it under the back seat. It fitted very tightly. The mailman could not have removed it without her seeing, neither could it have fallen out without the back of the coach giving way. D. LEIGHTON was re-called: He did not add anything material to his former evidence.
Mr CLARKE made an application for the discharge of William COLLIER, to enable him to call him as a witness. The Bench granted the application. He then took his place in the witness box, and said that his name was William COLLIER, he had lately been employed with the prisoners on Cherry Tree Hill and had worked for a short time previously with GIBSON and BURNS. CHAMPION, COLLINS and himself did not leave the camp on the night of the 29th August; they went to bed about 10 o'clock. BURNS and GIBSON lived with them. Two young men came out of the bush a little after sun down, and said that they wished particularly to see BURNS. BURNS and GIBSON both went away and did not return again that night. The men from the bush appeared to be sailors; he understood from a conversation with BURNS that they were two shipmates. CHAMPION and COLLINS went with him (witness) to work as usual on the Friday, the other two were absent. They returned at night and sat over the fire an hour talking; the conversation was general; BURNS said that they had had a good spree, and that he was nervous with the horrors. They had no bundle with them. The first time he heard of the robbery was at McCULLOGH's on the Saturday; he went there with an order from Mr COBB to get a supply of meat. He might have before seen the handkerchief in which the notes were tied, but could not swear to it. Mr CLARKE withdrew the charge against CHAMPION and COLLINS.
The Bench asked the other two prisoners what they had to say in answer to the charge. BURNS said it was very hard because he happened to be at LEIGHTON's that night that he should be accused with the robbery. GIBSON declined saying anything. They were then committed to take their trial at the next Quarter Sessions.
[As CHAMPION was about leaving the Court, Captain BATTYE stepped forward and arrested him on a charge of robbery committed some time since.]

From our Correspondent
A meeting of the Justices of the Peace was held at the Police Office on the 4th September for the purpose of granting applications for publican's licenses. Present J M MARSH, Esq., P.M., and A IRVING Esq., J.P.
Mr MARTIN's application for a public house at Cobbera was adjourned for a fortnight in order that the house might be inspected.
Mr BLEKEMORE, of Cobbera, for the same time, the stables not being finished.
John SMITH, Dubbo, adjourned for a month to afford applicant sufficient time to furnish his house. The Bench spoke in high terms of the premises and promised the license.
Robert BAKER, no appearance.

Wednesday, September 18, 1861

Friday September 13
Before the Police Magistrate, His Worship the Mayor, E MARLAY, Esq., Captain BATTYE, and Joseph COX, Esq., Gold Commissioner.

The prisoner KELLY, remanded on a charge of murder, was brought up and committed to take his trial at the next Bathurst assizes.

Catherine TIGHE, charged with being drunk in Market-street, was discharged upon the promise that she would leave the town.

Frederick WARD, prisoner of the Crown, illegally at large. The Bench ordered him to be returned to Sydney.

John CRIMMINS and George PEDLEY, casting night soil in a public place within the boundary of the town. Mr JAMES appeared for defendants. Mr HARDY, chief constable, said about one o'clock that morning he met CRIMMINS, who was driving a cart towards the river; when within forty or fifty yards of Rev. James GUNTHER's residence, CRIMMINS stopped the cart, and PEDLEY with both hands emptied the contents of the tubs on the reserve. CRIMMINS said it was purely an accident; he was too well known to be guilty of committing such a nasty offence within the boundary of the town. PEDLEY said the cart received a sudden jerk which capsized the tubs; he did his best to save them. Fined 20s each.

James CHAMPION, charged with stealing. Captain Edmund Montague BATTYE, on oath, stated that on the 23rd of last month he received a description of some men at Bathurst who were said to have committed a robbery at Back Creek, about eighteen miles from Bathurst; he saw the prisoner in custody in the Mudgee Police Court, and from his description he believed him to be one of the men concerned in the robbery, and from information since received he believed that the prisoner came lately from Bathurst. He communicated by Telegraph with the party robbed, and the party who gave the information. He had had no reply, but from certain circumstances which had since come to his knowledge, he believed the prosecutor, a person named BELL, was now absent from Bathurst. He had not further evidence against the prisoner in Mudgee, but he asked for a remand of the case to Bathurst. The robbery took place about the 23rd of last month. Prisoner said he could prove that he engaged with Mr COBB at Cherry Tree Hill at that time. He had previously been shepherding within a short distance from the place where the robbery was committed. Captain BATTYE said that he should see Mr COBB on Saturday, and would ascertain the truth of the prisoner's statement. He was consequently remanded.

Saturday, September 14
Before the Police Magistrate and E MARLAY, Esq.

Robert LARGE for horse stealing. Mr CLARKE (for TEMPLETON) for prosecution. Mr JAMES for defence. Edward SCULLY, constable in Cassilis police, said that he was on his way home from Mudgee. He saw a man of the name of BELLEW, at the Lagoon public house. He was stupid from the effects of drink. He went with him to ROBINSON's farm, near Ready Creek. In the morning he told him that young LARGE gave him the mare he had been riding, and that he did not know to whom it belonged; he also stated that the prisoner took his mare, and with her ran in the mare now in the yard, roped her, and gave her to him, telling him to go home with her. He then returned to the prisoner's, and there found BELLEW's mare, and took the prisoner into custody. Henry BELLEW, of the Hunter River, said that he was prisoner's place on Wednesday; he was in liquor; he stopped there all night; they kept giving him grog. On the following morning the prisoner took his mare and went after the mare now in the yard. On his return he was riding his mare, driving the other mare into the yard. He (witness) was stupid with drink, but he remembered Robert assisting him to saddle the mare, which he held while he got on; Prisoner's father told him the way to go. He valued the mare at £8. His own mare was worth £20. The case was remanded.

Tuesday, September 17th.
Robert LARGE was brought up for re-examination, his father John LARGE, was likewise charged with the offence. Charles HARDY said he had apprehended the elder prisoner in the yard of the Police Office upon a charge of horse stealing. Henry BELLEW re-called, and further stated that the elder prisoner was the man who pointed out to him the way he was to go. Both prisoners were present when he got on the horse; he paid prisoners for the grog he drank. George BARTON knew the prosecutor by sight; had seen him at his brother's house; left on Wednesday on a grey mare. He had no other horse with him. Bridget LYNCH, of Buttabala, said she knew the mare in the Court yard; it belonged to her son; it was given him by man seven years ago; it had not been sold or given away since.
Mr JAMES for the defence called William PHILLIPS, who said he was a shoemaker, and was at present residing at prisoner's place. On Thursday he heard prosecutor say that he wanted to eave a mare there for a short time, and when he returned he would pay for the trouble. The old man said that it could remain, but he would not have it put into the paddock. Prosecutor shortly after left on a bay mare. Prisoner asked him to assist in putting up a place, so that the mare left in charge might not get away. BELLEW appeared sober when he left. Had known prisoner 15 years; had been cobbling for him the last week. Mr JAMES having addressed the Bench on behalf of the prisoners. Mr CLARKE replied. The Bench said that there was not sufficient evidence to commit the prisoners, and ordered them to be discharged.

Matthew SHARP was fined 40s and costs for selling a glass of spirituous liquor on Sunday evening.

G McQUIGGAN was fined one shilling and costs for selling a glass of wine after 10 o'clock on Monday.

From our Correspondent. The body of a man named Charles FORTESQUE better known as "Little Charley the tailor" has been discovered in an old hole at Tambaroora. The unfortunate man had been drinking and is supposed to have fallen in on his way home on Saturday night. His hat was picked up on Thursday, which excited suspicion; search was made and he was shortly after found in the hole, where he must have been five days. Information has been sent to our Police Magistrate, Joseph COX, Esq., who is absent on official business at Spicer's Diggings and who will, on his return institute enquiries into the matter. It will be the eighth investigation
Mr COX has made since July 19th. The following are the particulars of the different parties:
July 19 - Joseph HOUSELEY, came out in bond by ship Moffatt, 1836, aged 50. Died from effects of a fall down a shaft 60 feet deep at Bald Hills.
July 19- Ar Tim, a Chinaman, working on the Macquarie about 7 miles from Opher Creek. Died from the effects of a bank giving in and covering him.
July 20 - Archibald McDONALD, found dead in his tent near the junction of the Turon and Macquarie, natural causes - inflammation of the lungs.
July 22 - A Chinaman (unknown) found dead in his tent about a quarter of a mile from the Commissioner's Camp. Post mortem examination - head gorged with blood; all the necessaries of life in the tent.
July 21 - Ar Tui (a Chinaman) brought up from the Macquarie and died the next day of congestion of the brain.
July 27 - Ar Karl (a Chinaman) drowned in endeavouring to cross the river Macquarie.
July 30 - Jung Pun (a Chinaman) drowned in endeavouring to cross the river Macquarie.
There are three other Chinamen who drowned through attempting to cross the river when flooded, whose bodies have not been recovered. One at the junction of the Pyramul with the Macquarie, another near Long Point and the third at the Turon.

To the Mudgee Agricultural and Horticultural Association, 1860

Robert LOWE £1
R LOWE, Jun. £1
G H COX £1
A B COX £1
G H and AB COX £8
T HONEYSETT, sen. £1
F S COX £1
A H COX £1
J BARTON £1 1s
N P BAYLY £1 1s
C B LOWE £1 1s
F COX 10s
__ ARIEL 5s
T NEW £1 1s
H S BARNES £1 1s
__ HATTON 5s
__ROSE 10s
A MURPHY 2s 6d
W KING 10s
__M'KENNA 10s
__RYAN 5s
R ROUSE, jun. £1 1s
H FROST £1 1s
V COX £1
E K COX £5
G TAYLOR 10s 6d
J BAX £1

Saturday September 21, 1861

At Coolah, on the 3rd instant, the wife of Mr M'CUBBIN, deeply regretted by a numerous circle of friends.

Friday September 20th
Before the Police Magistrate and E MARLAY, Esq.

Frederick WARD, Horse stealing. Mr BRODRIBB appeared for prosecution. C HARDY, chief constable, said he apprehended the prisoner yesterday for stealing a horse the property of Thomas BEST, upon telling him the charge he stated that he bought the horse of a man of the name of Charles WILLIAMS, and that he had lost the receipt. The prisoner was confined to the lock up on a charge of being a prisoner of the Crown at large. The horse was branded GW on shoulder. Thomas BEST, settler, residing at the Upper Meroo, said he did not know the prisoner. The horse in the Court yard was his property, having purchased him in January last of John HONEYSETT; he lost him from his run five months since; he afterwards heard that he was running about Cooyal. He valued the horse at £40, he had refused £3, he did not think it was now worth £5. He had never sold him. Committed to take his trial at the next Quarter Sessions.

R R HUGHSON, was summoned for having his house open on Sunday, the 8th instant. C HARDY, chief constable, said that he saw four persons coming out of the house on the day in question; he then went inside and found three persons, two of whom were drinking. Mr HARDY called two witnesses to prove the charge, but neither could remember anything. Mr HUGHSON in answer to the charge, said that the party referred to was a lodger who had been staying in his house for some days, and claimed, under a clause in the Act (which he had read) the sum of £5 for loss of time, through being summoned on a frivolous charge. Case dismissed.

George PEARSON was charged with discharging a gun at Oliver BEEDLE. Mr BRODRIBB appeared for defendant. Oliver BEEDLE said he was outside his hut on Friday night when he heard the report of a gun, and shortly after heard a ball whiz past his head; he immediately went to defendant's hut and called out to him, when he told him (complainant) that the gun was loaded with a ball. There was an ill feeling between them in consequence of Mr BLOOMFIELD having taken a flock of sheep away from defendant and given them to him (complainant). He had no animosity against defendant, but was afraid that he should received some bodily harm from him, which was the reason he came to court. The defendant was discharged upon promise never to do any thing to injure or annoy complainant.

W BLESHMEID was summoned for using threatening language to Henry LYE. The Bench finding that the dispute was only an illustration of the adage that two of a trade never agree, advised the parties to settle the matter out of court and adjourned the case for a week.

Wednesday, September 25, 1861

Tuesday, September 24th
Before the Police Magistrate, His Worship the Mayor, and Thomas CADELL, Esq.

Thomas ISBESTER, was summoned for £2 18s for wages due. Thomas WARD said he had engaged to assist in ploughing 16 acres of land at the rate of four shillings per acre. Defendant measured the land upon the completion of the work and said that he would only pay for 14 ½ acres, which complainant was willing to accept. He had since refused to pay even that. John CONSTANTINE proved that the work was properly done. Defendant said he objected to pay on the ground that complainant had drawn two logs off the land, that he had lost the bullocks, and that he (defendant) had to pay a pound for their recovery. This was denied and the defendant was ordered to pay the amount claimed.

Part of allotments 9 and 10 of section 12, Mudgee, with buildings thereon, Mrs E MILLER, per Mr G H COX, £390.
Allotment 13 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr T E MILLS, £36
Allotment 1 of section 6, Mudgee Mr H FROST, £25
Allotment 5 of section 21, Mudgee, Mr N P BAILY, £43
Allotment 2 of section 11, Mudgee, Mr A M'CAULEY, £39
Allotment 9 of section 11, Mudgee, Mr T H SINDEN, £86
Allotment 4 of section 21, Mudgee, Mr N P BAYLY, £23
Allotment 6 of section 14, Mudgee, Mr J J MILLS, £22
Allotment 2 of section 29, Mudgee, Mr G J GIBSON, £20
Allotment 4 of section 29, Mudgee, Mr H R REUBEN, £18
Allotment 8 of section 11, Mudgee, Mr H BURROWS, £50
Allotment 10 of section 2, Mundooran, Mr H BURROWS, £6 10s
Allotment 11 of section 20, Mudgee, Mr J J MILLS, £28
Allotment 12 of section 20, Mudgee, Mr J J MILLS, £17
Allotment 8 of section 2, Mudgee, Mr N P BAYLY, £65
Allotment 3 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr G H COX, £200
Allotment 15 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr J CAIN, £56
Allotment 16 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr J CAIN, £50
Allotment 17 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr J CAIN, £55
Allotment 18 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr J CAIN, £45
Allotment 20 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr N P BAYLY, £101
Allotment 8 of section 12, Mudgee, Mr N P BAYLY, £228
Allotment 13 of section 28, Mudgee, Miss G VILE, £41
Suburban allotment 13, Windere, Mr W FRASER, £11
640 acres, Macdonald's Creek, Mr W WILSON, £336.

The handsome sum of £90 has been collected by A BUSBY, Esq., from the inhabitants of the town and district of Cassilis for the widow and family of Constable KNIGHT, who was killed last May by a fall from his horse on his way home from Muswellbrook.

The following tenders have been accepted by the Government - Mr Richard PILE for the construction of a punt for the Macquarie River, at Wellington. Mr William PETTIT, for the erection of a watch house at Pulpit Hill.

From our Correspondent
Wednesday, September 18
Police Court
Before Messrs IRVING and W H TIBBITS.

W YORK brought up on a charge of horse stealing, remanded to Orange, the warrant being issued from that bench.

Court of Requests
W ANTHONY v J DAWSON - this case could not be entertained through some irregularity in service of the summons, plaintiff having depended upon service of a constable whose other duties would not permit him to serve summons in proper time.
W ANTHONY v VACHINI - This case was settled out of Court.
DULHUNTY v WINTER - Case postponed to this day fortnight.
BOXBALL v EVANS - Plaintiff claimed £5 for some timber which unknowingly the defendant had appropriated to his own use. It came out in evidence that plaintiff's mate had given him leave to take some of the slabs. The Bench decided that as the timber had been used by the defendant for his own use, and to the loss of the plaintiff, they would give a verdict for the plaintiff for the amount claimed (£5) costs £1 8s 6d.
Publican's Applications - William MARTIN, J BLEKEMORE, at Cobbera. Licenses granted.

The First Snake - We learn that these dangerous reptiles are beginning to appear in places where they are not wished for, no doubt being enticed from their winter dormitories by the genial influence of the season. On the afternoon of Sunday last, as Mr RANKIN, of the Trade Hall, was walking in a paddock at Oakhampton, with Mr BALLARD, he observed a large carpet snake sporting in the grass, and lost no time in attacking and killing it. Mr RANKIN carried home the snake which is a fine specimen, about 7 ½ feet long, and beautifully marked. - Maitland Mercury

An inquest was held at Tomago on Saturday last before Mr SHAW, coroner, on the body of John ELLIOT, a child two years old, who was unfortunately drowned in a water hole near the Tomago well.

Saturday, September 28, 1861

At the residence of Mr S WINTER, Church-street, Mrs W J WING, of a son.

Friday, September 27
Before the Police Magistrate, the Mayor, E MARLAY and T CADELL, Esqrs.

Geo. WARE, horse stealing. N M'BEATH, gaoler, said he received the prisoner in charge from a man of the name of Fred. WOOD, for having in his possession a mare his property. The prisoner said that the mare was his, and that he had bred her. It was branded HN with W over. F WOOD, saddler, said the horse in the yard was his property; he valued her at ten pounds; had had her nearly twelve months; she was bought at a public sale; she had been in his possession up to Monday last, when he let her loose on the diggings; about twenty minutes after he went to see which way she was going, when he saw her in the possession of the prisoner, who claimed her. He said that he had lost her two years since at Grattai, and would keep her till the police had decided who was the owner. The case was adjourned for further evidence till Friday.

Thos. WEBBER, charged by Mr TEBBUTT with breach of the Masters and Servants' Act. Mr TEBBUTT said he would not press the charge if defendant would return to his work, which he consented to do.

T COSTELLO, the man who shot himself at Queen's Pinch, was brought up for examination. Constable FARRAND said that he took the man into custody for protection. In answer to the Bench, COSTELLO said that he left Albury and had traveled to Melbourne and back, but had been unable to obtain employment. He got drunk on his arrival in the colony some years since, and had from that time taken to water. The Bench said that they did not consider he was well enough to be discharged, and remanded him for fourteen days.

John MOLONY was summoned at the instance of S SNOW for the support of her illegitimate child. Defendant said he was willing to support the child provided it was given up to him. The mother said the child was only two years old, and she was not inclined to part with it. The Bench said the child would certainly be better under her care, and ordered the father to pay towards its support, 10s weekly for six months.

These pages contains transcripts of newspapers, a postal directory and a register that have been typed up from the original. 
I have no further information than what is on these pages.  You may find microfische of the originals at your local or state library

Home ] Up ] Others - 1 ] Others - 2 ] Others - 3 ] Others - 4 ] Others - 5 ] Others - 6 ] [ Others - 7 ] Others - 8 ] Others - 9 ] Others - 10 ] Others - 11 ]