STATUS QUO MCMLIX
This publication presents the schools of the Ballina Inspectorate at this time – Education Week, 1959 – and their origins.
TEVEN PUBLIC SCHOOL
The first public school in Teven was on the northern side of Teven Creek, about a mile from the junction of Emigrant Creek and Teven Creek, approximately opposite the property now owned by Mr. G. Batterham, the teacher being Mr. W Miller. There was no road to the school, and it was surrounded by standing scrub. The only transport to the school was by boat.
This school was followed by a subsidised school held in a shed on the property now owned by Miss S. E. King. Later the complete building was blown into Teven Creek by a hurricane. The second public school was on the northern side of Teven Creek opposite to where the present Post Office now stands, Miss Barbara Hunter being the teacher. Later, tenders were called for a school and residence on the south side, and these buildings were erected by Mr. West. The present building was erected in 1916.
The earliest entry in the admission register at the new building was made on July 11, 1898, the first pupil being Olive Brown. Some of the early pupils were Maggie Allard (1899); Percy Miller, Albert Biggs and George Percival (1900). The teacher was Mr. J. Mahoney. The following teachers have followed: Mr. H. J. Dale (1909), Mrs. John Roach (1915), Mr. S. Clair Snowden (1924), Mr. C. E. Catlin (1934), Mr. R. Ramsay (1938), Mr. C. Wray (1957).
The first entry in the visitors' book was made on September 11, 1895, by Ralph Forster. At this time the school was still on the northern bank of the creek, and was called the Provisional School, Teven Creek. The enrolment at that time was 32. By 1901 the enrolment was 52. An assistant teacher was appointed during the time that Mr. John Roach was in charge.
The historical information has been supplied by Miss King and Mr. Cruickshanks.
The school at present has an enrolment of 24. The buildings are in good order, and surrounded by lawns. The school is very well equipped, the Parents and Citizens' Association being very active in supplying the needs of the school. Recently, a projector, gramophone, hand duplicator, extension radio speaker, and sporting materials have been purchased.
The playground is very spacious, and is provided with jumping facilities. A tennis court is very well used-by the children. The school has a very fine library, and this is being constantly added to by the P. and C. Association.
PRESENT DAY ACTIVITIES
The school participates in the following activities: Commonwealth Day is celebrated with a ceremony and picnic sports. A guest speaker is invited to address the children. The P. and C. Association plays an important part in making the day a success. Ice cream, cordials and sweets are distributed to the children.
The school participates in Ballina District P.S.A.A.A. Carnivals. Education Week is celebrated usually with an Open Day at the school, when parents have the opportunity of seeing the children at work at their normal lessons, and excursions to places of interest, e.g., Sugar Mill, Butter Factory.
Christmas and end-of-year activities are celebrated with a Christmas tree social held at night. The children perform plays or items, and gifts are distributed from a Christmas tree.
Swimming classes have been introduced, and a 10-day course was held in 1958 in which five children gained their learners' 20 yard certificate.
Folk dancing is popular at the school, and displays of folk dancing are given on Commonwealth Day and during Education Week, and in 1958 at the local hall bazaar. Paper costumes are worn for the dancing.
All children from the age of eight are taught to play tennis, and a team comprised of school children plays competition tennis in Ballina Association.
Office-bearers of the Parents and Citizens' Association are as follows: President, Mr. C. G. Spencer; secretary, Mr. J. J. Dufficy; treasurer, Mr. M. Winter.
contains transcripts of newspapers, a postal directory and a register that have
been typed up from the original.