STATUS QUO MCMLIX
MAROM CREEK PUBLIC SCHOOL
Marom Creek is situated 13 miles south east of Lismore; 3 miles from Rous Mill, our nearest neighbour. Until. the beginning of this century this valley was mainly swamp, but when it was cleared by the pioneers (and later drained) it proved to be a small but rich dairying area. Today the land use is still dairying and related activities.
The children of the early settlers went to the adjacent schools of Rous Mill, Rous, Tucki and Meerschaum Vale until, following local representations, the Education Department built the present school and opened it on the 15th October, 1914 with Mr. F. Baker as teacher-in-charge. The children present on the first day were Carl, Millie and Gladys Weis. Other children to be enrolled by the end of the year were: Doris Weis; Vera and Nellie Worboys; Vida, Freda and Merle Perkins; Irene, Florence and Doris Holzhauser; Norman and Spencer Perkins. To date 355 children have attended this school. At present the school enrolment is 13.
As teacher in charge, Mr. Baker was followed by W. J. S. Duffy 1916; J. Hackett 1917; Miss E. Campbell 1918; Miss A. H. Thomas 1919; Miss G. Evans 1920-21; C. E. Jones 1921-22; R. H. Pryor 1923-25; A. G. Rose 1926-28; A. J. Mcany 1928-30; C. V. Hardy 1931-34 (Now Inspector of Schools at Inverell); R. B. Hook 1935-38 (Nashua); Miss R. B. E. Davies 1939-45 (Rous); Miss E. M. Campbell 1946-49 (Retired Lismore); R. K. Marks 1950-55 (Durrumbul); H. L. Brown since 1956.
Most of the early teachers boarded at Rous Mill and travelled to and from the school each day. The first married teacher appointed to the school was Mr. R. Marks who lived in a house a mile from the school on the farm of the late 0. Herne until Mr. G. Weis built a residence adjacent to the school in 1951.
Since 1914 the school grounds have been improved by the planting of shade and decorative trees and shrubs. The school children and many local residents take a pride in furthering this activity.
Past, present and future children owe thanks to the generosity of one local resident, Mr. Norman Perkins, who in 1944 had erected, at his own expense, a large weather shed in the school grounds.
During 1952-53 the Parents and Citizens' Association, with the help of the Tintenbar Shire grader, laid out a tennis court in the school grounds. Besides fencing and equipping the tennis court the Association built a separate tennis shed. This tennis court has been invaluable to the school children and also to the rest of the community which uses it for social and competitive tennis; a recreational activity in which most of the youngsters of the district participate.
With the help of local labour, the Education Department has made other improvements to the grounds: in 1955 a neat fence was erected around the school garden; in 1957 concrete paths etc. were laid.
With A. W. Weis as president, Mrs. E. Perkins as secretary, and W. W. Weis as treasurer. and the support of most members of the community, the Parents and Citizens' Association is playing a vital role in the development of the school. It was first formed in 1915; lapsed from 1921 to 1930; but reformed in 1931. Since then it has assisted with educational activities and by providing many amenities including the installation of electric lighting and power in the school in 1946; a wall clock in 1958; and since 1954 £75 worth of books and a £35 set of encyclopedias have been added to the library. Numerous other smaller items, such as text books, manual, physical training, and kindergarten materials, have been provided to assist the children.
contains transcripts of newspapers, a postal directory and a register that have
been typed up from the original.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids