Search billions of records on

Page 4
Home ] Up ] Page 1 ] Page 2 ] Page 3 ] [ Page 4 ] Page 5 ] Page 6 ] Page 7 ] Page 8 ] Page 9 ] Page 10 ] Page 11 ] Page 12 ] Page 13 ] Page 14 ]


Press <Ctrl-F> to search for a particular word in the page.
Press Next to move to the next match in the document

Taken from The Lady, Supplement to The Queensland Figaro, Brisbane, Saturday,
11 May 1889
PERSONALS [ surely these were written with tongue in cheek, Bev :) ]
Hon. John DOW, Minister for Lands of Victoria, is in Brisbane on a visit, his town address being the Belle Vue Hotel. John DOW is an old pressman, having been connected for many years with the Melbourne "Leader", chiefly as an agricultural writer. He is by no means brilliant, but belongs rather to the steady school of plodders--is a total abstainer--one of those tortoises who always beat their contemporary hares. He claims to be one of the pioneers of the Flinders country, but he must have kept modestly in the background in that respect, as his name is not inscribed in any of the memorial niches accessible either to my ken {?} or my memory. A petty class of critics in Melbourne think themselves funny when they call DOW by the pet name of Rowdydow; but there is really not enough in the mediocre politician to justify the epithet, though he can be vulgarly abusive sometimes--ay, abusive even for a teetotaller. John DOW says he hasn't been in Brisbane between 1862 and now. We could have spared him and survived.

Mr. W. GARGETTS, the local Postmaster, has been removed from Warwick to Pittsworth. Much indignation has been expressed by the inhabitants of the land of black mud, and a hastily signed petition was presented to the Postmaster-General, but without effect. Mr. JEFFRIES succeeds him.

Good business men are none too plentiful but that the advent of a new man with a solid claim to the title deserves at least a passing notice. Mr. John W.E. PUGH has established himself at No 1 Queensland Mercantile Buildings, Adelaide-street, Brisbane, as an accountant, auditor, financial agent, and general commission agent. Mr. PUGH is a man of varied and ripe experience. His length of service as an accountant in the public departments of Queensland confer on him a diploma that secures instant recognition; while his long and intimate connection with large railway contracts, both in Queensland and New South Wales, gives his services a peculiar value in special lines of business, of which fact canny contractors and others will do well not to lose sight. As a confidential man, Mr. PUGH may be implicitly trusted. When occasion requires it, he can be inscrutable as a Sphinx and as dumb as an Egyptian mummy. To utilise him as one's factor would be sort of religious duty, for the rents would thus become a species of PUGH-rents.

Alderman Bernard MULLINS, of Clermont, one of the oldest and most respected residents of that town, died on the 6th instant.

Capt. John EMMERSON, master of the schooner, Lark, of Sydney, and John HENDERSON, able seaman, were drowned at Mackay, Q., on 30th April, in consequence of the upsetting of a boat near the wharf.

The Rev. T. BRASSINGTON, Wesleyan minister, tells a yarn about a woman in the Never-Never country of Queensland, who fell on his neck and wept, saying, " Oh, sir! you are the first minister I have seen for the last eleven years." This is a highly refreshing incident of the Queensland Home Mission, and deserves to be put alongside the story of the Cloncurry miner, who greeted a travelling parson with the Sydney-Smithian welcome--" A parson? then, blow my mullock ! {only this wasn't the precise oath used} you're the first old woman I've met on the field. Lets' liquor.."

H.W. RISIEN, called by many " the father of Rockhampton," was thrown from a buggy on the 6th instant, and broke his neck. RISIEN put up the first house in Rockhampton in 1855.

Hon. Francis ORMOND, M.L.C., of Victoria, and a phenomenal philanthropist in that colony, died at Pau, in the south of France, on the 5th instant. Mr. ORMAIND and his wife left Victoria in December last on a European tour. The deceased was 59 years of age, having been born in the north-west of Scotland in 1830. He went to Victoria as a lad of 10 years with his father, Captain ORMOND, in 1840. He was a successful grazier, and became a reputed millionaire. He built the ORMOND College; founded the Working Men's College in Melbourne; and instituted a Chair of Music at the Melbourne University. His public benefactions during the last twelve years have amounted to over £100,00. For seven years he represented the South-Western Province in the Legislative Council of Victoria.

John WOODS and old Cloncurry man, was found dead at the Two-mile Waterhole, Cloncurry, on the 5th instant. He had been complaining of fever, and had quite recently insured his life for £800. He always was lucky in his gambling investments.

A.J. RALSTON, who was for many years secretary of the Australian Mutual Provident society, and whose pensioning off caused a big rumpus among shareholders, died on the 14th inst., at Sydney, aged 56 years.

James DAVIS, one of the personal links between Queensland now and the old pioneer settlement of Moreton bay, died on Tuesday last, aged 65 years. The deceased had some remarkable adventure, and long sojournings with the blacks, and became very familiar with many of their tribal dialects, an accomplishment which he turned to good service by frequently acting as interpreter for aboriginals in the Supreme Court. He used to keep a crockery shop in George-street, Brisbane, for many years, and, though he was supposed to have retired from business, still possessed a well-stocked warehouse in Burnett Lane. He had been ailing for some days previous to his death, which was not, however, anticipated. I think, too, he entered the Brisbane Hospital as a paying patient, about six months ago, but his active and eccentric habits would not allow him to stay there more than a couple of days.
He was known among the blacks in the metropolitan district as " Durrumboi". The name arose from his own quaint definition of himself to some blacks, he having told them that he was " a Durham boy." They caught on to the name and it stuck to Jim DAVIS.

Taken from The Lady, Supplement to The Queensland Figaro, Brisbane, Saturday,
May 11, 1889
Social Gossip
Townsville, April 29th. p 707
Miss THOMPSON, step-daughter of Inspector ISLEY, is absent from town for a few days on a visit to friends.

Captain and Mrs. GRAINGER, who have reside here for the last few years, left Townsville yesterday for Sydney, where they will in future live.

Mrs. A. RODGERS, who only lately returned from a twelve-months' trip to the mother country, is with her family, leaving the North to live in Tasmania, excepting for an occasional visit to Townsville, for the sake of "Auld Lang Syne," Mrs. RODGERS will not come North again; both Mrs. and Miss RODGERS find Townsville so dull after England that they are quite content to say good-bye to it for good.

Mrs. and Mr. T. LEMEL, of Charters Towers, who went home to England some eighteen months ago, are now on their way out by the P. and O. steamer " Oceana"; they will stay a month with friends in Sydney before returning to Queensland. Mr. LEMEL intends building a Townsville residence, and will live here during the winter months.

By the Taroba, due here about the 25th of this month, will arrive the gallant Major VINCENT who went away from here determined to kill; not being, however, able to find anyone to fight with he is returning in a more peaceable mood.

Mr. D.C. BROMLEY, of Messrs. BURNS, PHILLIP & Co., Cooktown branch, was to have been married this week at Townsville, to Miss DUNBAR, eldest daughter of Mr. DUNBAR, local traffic manager.

Miss MCEVOY to Mr. J. HEALY, both of Warwick.

Miss J. BAKER to Mr. MARIENTHAL. Wedding at Warwick at end of June.

WEDDINGS { brief description, paper badly damaged}
On Tuesday, 30th April, a pretty wedding was celebrated at St. Patrick's Church {R.C.}, Gympie, by the Rev. Matthew HORAN? when William SMITH was married to Miss Annie DOYLE. The bride was escorted to the alter by her brother, Mr. James DOYLE. Bridesmaids: her sister Miss Kate DOYLE and Miss Lucy BROOKER Bridegroom: brother of the bridegroom Mr. Edward SMITH. Mother of the bridegroom: Mrs. C. SMITH

BONNEY-ANDREWS--On Wednesday, May ?? a pretty wedding was celebrated in Jireh ? { could be Baptist} chapel, the consenting parties being William BONNEY, of Mount Esk, and Annie ANDREWS, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. ANDREW'S of Gotha-street, Fortitude Valley. The Rev. R.A. KINGSFORD of the above church officiated. Bridesmaids: Three of them her sisters { no names } and Miss VARDEN

HALLIDAY--GARGET-- The marriage of John William HALLIDAY, of Mundah, with Eleanor GARGET, of Leichhardt-street, was quietly celebrated at All Saint's Church on Monday afternoon last at 5 o'clock. The ceremony was performed by Cannon GLENNIE, in the absence of the Rector. The bride was attended by her three sisters, as follows:- Ada, as chief and Misses Isabel and Dora. Mr. GARGET, jun. acted as best man. Sister of the bride: Mrs COCHRANE

Social Gossip cont.
Professor PEPPER, accompanied by Mrs. PEPPER and Mr. PEPPER, jun., leave for England by the Quetta, where they intend to remain.

Mr. James HICKSON, a well-known North Queenslander, died suddenly at Portland last week.

Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS, of Indooroopilly, contemplate a visit to England shortly. They will probably leave by the Taroba early in June.

Rody HOGAN has been sentenced to death at Townsville for the murder of William GUILFOYLE, at Black Gully, near Herberton.

Bundaberg had a big fire on Sunday last, when a whole block of shops at the corner of Targo and Bourbon-streets were consumed. Damages are estimated at £10,000, The sufferers are:_ Messrs. BRODZIAK, general merchants { partly insured}
SILVER, restaurant-keeper {uninsured}
L.J. GROSSMAN, tailor {insured}
DAVIS, Jeweller {uninsured}
CAMPBELL and BUTTERWORTH, saddlers {insured}
J.A.SIMPSON, commission agent
Penny Bank offices
J. CONDON, bootmaker {uninsured}
J. CALVERT, hairdresser.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
NEW SOUTH WALES Sydney, May 11 {p. 1118}
A child named WALPOLE sustained severe burning injuries by his clothes catching fire while playing in his parent's house at Paddington. The injuries were of such a nature that he subsequently died in the hospital.

A child of Mr. LAWSON was burned to death at Llandillo, its clothes caught fire in the kitchen during a temporary absence of his mother.

Caroline BROOKS of Woolloomooloo, died from the effects of an overdose of Chlorodyne, taken to relieve insomnia.

Denis CRONIN, a dairyman, with a boy named Edward FALLIN, left his dairy at Merewether, near Newcastle, at 5 o'clock this morning, and an hour later the cart was found overturned fifteen yards from the dairy with the bodies of the man and the boy underneath. The cart had apparently been overturned by coming in contact with the stump of a tree.

May 14 Neils DAHL, the second mate of the vessel Ellora, fell down the hold of the ship at Newcastle, and was killed.

At the Wellington show a rider of a horse in the hunting contest was thrown and stunned. A friend of the rider, named HEASEMAN, on seeing the accident sustained a shock, from which he died in a few minutes.

Melbourne, May 12 {p 1119}
A shocking burning fatality is reported from Colac. Mrs. M'KEON, the wife of an old resident, was standing before the fire, when her clothes got ablaze, and she was slowly roasted to death, being at the time only a few yards distant from her husband, who, being paralytic, was unable to render assistance.

Mr. David LEE, who has been for twenty years city organist in Melbourne, died to-day.

The jockey HUSSY, died to-day from the results of injuries sustained while riding Mall Regent in the Hurdle Race on Saturday.

Auckland, May 12 A young man named LINDOP, son of a chemist at Carterton, while " scorching " on a bicycle, came into collision with a vehicle, with the result that his skull was smashed.

DEATH OF SIR W.J. CLARKE Melbourne, May 16 { p 1119}
Sir William J. CLARKE died suddenly while on his way to his office on Saturday. He alighted from a tram at Collins-street and staggered and fell on to the roadway. He was carried to the Athenium Club and medical aid summoned, but he expired before a doctor came. His Excellency the Governor and Lady BRASSEY called at the late residence during the day and expressed sympathy with Lady CLARKE. { Sir William John CLARKE, Bart., M.L.C., L.L.D., J.P., was the eldest son of the late Hon.W.J.T. CLARKE, M.L.C., and was born in 1831 in Tasmania. Sir William first arrived in Victoria in 1850, when he spent a couple of years in the study of sheep farming on his father's Dowling Forest station, and afterwards in the management of the Woodlands station on the Wimmera. For the next ten years he resided in Tasmania, working the Norton-Mandeville Estate in conjunction with his brother, Mr. Joseph CLARKE. In 1862 he assumed the management of his father's concerns in Victoria, and on the latter's death in 1874 succeeded to his estates in that colony. Sir William early evinced a very strong interest in farming pursuits, and introduced a scientific instructor in the person of Mr. R.W.E. M'IVOR, who lectured on agricultural chemistry for the benefit of the colony generally. Sir William CLARKE was most liberal in his donations to public objects.}

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
Snippets {p1147}
Petitions have been filed for the liquidation of the estates of the following persons: WILLIAMS and EGGERS { Thomas Henry WILLIAMS and Paul Cudmore EGGERS }, Thursday Island, general storekeepers, liabilities about £1250 Paul Cudmore EGGERS, Thursday Island, general storekeeper, liabilities, £147 3s 9d.

Messrs. B.D. MOREHEAD and Co. advise having booked the following passengers per R.W.S. Oroya, leaving Sydney on Monday for London:--Mrs. Jane CROCKER; Misses A.B. JOHNSTON; Mary MURPHY; Messrs. Andrew D ALLAN; J.H. CROCKER; Ralph D. JACOBS; F. CARTER; Thomas HAYDON; J. GENTLEMAN; and T.C. POCKLINGTON.

It is notified in Saturday's " Government Gazette " that the undermentioned applications for the grant of letters patent have been accepted:--

W. BAILEY, of Town Bush Valley, Pietermaritzburg, Natal, Engineer, "an improvement in the construction of wrought iron gates and fences."

A. MACPHERSON, of South Brisbane, Queensland, mining engineer, and T.J. MOONEY, of New Farm, Brisbane " an improved plant for the better working of the cyanide process in the extraction of gold from refractory ores. "

F. WALTON, of London, manufacturer, " improvements in the manufacture of Mosaic floorcloth, and apparatus therefore."

Another of the few remaining links that connect us with the history of Brisbane has been broken by the death of Mrs. SEXTON. The deceased lady died last Saturday evening at her residence, South Brisbane. She was a native of Peebles, Scotland, and was born in the very early years of the century. Soon after marrying her late husband, Captain SEXTON, the vicissitudes of his profession fixed her residence for some years in London and in France. By the a dvice of Dr. LANG, the SEXTON'S with their young family, in the year 1849, took passage to Moreton Bay in the ship Fortitude, a name identified with so many of Brisbane's citizens, and so much of its history. In these early years Captain SEXTON took part in much of the commercial and pastoral enterprise of Brisbane and its neighbourhood. The name will recall kindly and pleasant remembrances to most of our older inhabitants, with whom, as with all who knew her, the deceased lady was a general favourite.

Another of the few remaining pioneers of Brisbane, in the person of Mrs. James SMITH, late of Elizabeth-street, died early on Sunday morning. At the time of Mrs. SMITH'S arrival from Sydney { in 1843}, the trade of the infant port was served by an occasional visit from a small coaster. On this occasion there were four other passengers, one being the late Rev. Dean HANLY, who was coming to take over his new parish, the Moreton Bay settlement--the " new parish of Brisbane " then extending as far afield as Cape York. Trade and navigation were naturally in a somewhat primitive state, hence the passengers had to tranship at the mouth of the river and were brought on by boat to " Brisbane Town ." Mrs. SMITH had seen the infancy, growth, and development of Queensland from the tiny settlement of the early " forties" to a self-governing colony of half-a-million people. The deceased was 83 years of age. She leaves a family of three grown-up children. She was one of " Mrs. Chisholm's immigrants," and did her best to imitate that excellent woman's kindliness to immigrant girls.

During the week the death of Mr. Howard St. GEORGE, a very old resident and highly-respected civil servant, occurred at the Mansions, George-street. Mr. ST. GEORGE had been suffering from bronchitis for some time past, and his death occurred at the ripe age of 72 years. The deceased arrived in Queensland about 1862, where he had purchased Rannes station. He entered the civil service in 1870 as assistant gold warden, being promoted to warden in 1872, when he took charge of the Gilbert, Western Creek, and Etheridge goldfields. He opened the Palmer goldfield in 1873, and went as police magistrate to Cooktown in 1874. He occupied the same position at Aramac in 1883, and was transferred to the position of warden on the Palmer goldfield in 1884, where he remained until removed to Eidsvold in 1891. After twenty-six years' service, Mr. ST. GEORGE retired in 1896. Coming of a good Irish family, Mr. ST. GEORGE'S career in England was as honourable and distinguished as in Queensland, taking his M.A. degree at Trinity College, Dublin. His mother was a daughter of Major WOLESLEY, and cousin of the present Lord WOLSESLEY. Mr. ST. GEORGE took a great interest in Masonry, and was a high office-holder in the craft.

A very old resident of the Oxley district, Mr. Thomas BERRY, on Saturday afternoon met with an accident which unfortunately resulted in his death. Mr. BERRY, who, although advanced in years, was still active had mounted a ladder to saw a branch off a tree near his residence at Sherwood. While he was engaged in this work the ladder slipped and Mr. BERRY fell to the ground, a distance of about 12ft. or 14ft. The accident occurred about 5 o'clock, and for some time it did not appear that any serious injury had been afflicted. Shortly after teatime, however, alarming symptoms set in.
Dr. A. FRANCIS, who lives close by, was summoned, when an examination showed that the spine had been affected, and the case pronounced hopeless. The pain increased, and the sufferer grew worse until midnight, when death took place. Mr. BERRY had reached the age of 84 years. He arrived in the colony from the North of Ireland in 1863, and at once settled in the Oxley district, of which he and his family have been residents ever since. He was one of the early growers and manufacturers of sugar on the Brisbane River, and included amongst his friends all the older residents of the Sherwood, Oxley, and Seventeen-mile Rocks districts. His widow survives him, as well as one daughter and three sons:-- Mr. James BERRY, of Sampson Vale, and Messrs. Joe and W.K. BERRY, of Sherwood.

The many friends in Brisbane and elsewhere of Mr. Frederick G. COE, of Oxley, will be surprised and pained to hear of his sudden death. which took place on Sunday afternoon, after a very brief illness. Mr. COE, with his wife and daughters, attended the Corinda assembly ball on Friday night, but did not himself take part in the dancing. He was then apparently in good health. At the close of the dance, at midnight, he drove to his home, near the old Oxley township, and on arrival had a light supper. Immediately afterwards, however, he was seized with apoplexy, and never regained consciousness. Dr. A. FRANCIS, who had also attended the ball, was summoned with all possible haste from Sherwood, and Dr. SCHOLES, who is a friend of the family, was telegraphed to, and drove down from Goodna. From the first, however, the medical gentleman saw that the case was extremely critical, and were able to hold out to Mrs. COE and her family but slender hopes. Mr. COE as stated, did not again become conscious, and passed away at 2 o'clock on Sunday afternoon. Mr. COE, who has been employed in the office of the Registrar of Titles since 1883, was 51 years of age. He was of a genial, hospitable disposition, and had a large circle of friends, who will not only regret his untimely death, but feel the deepest sympathy for his widow and family. The funeral takes place this afternoon at the Sherwood Cemetery, at half-past 3 o'clock.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
Mrs. GLENNIE arrived from the South on Tuesday week, and is at present the guest of her parents Mr. and Mrs. STANLEY, Tudor.

Miss BURNE, Tenterfield, New South Wales, is on a visit to Ipswich, and is the guest of her aunt, Mrs. BULLMORE. Rockton.

Miss WILLIAMS, Wallangarra, is spending some weeks with her aunt Mrs. George HARDING, Union Bank, Maryborough.

Miss Birdie WHIPHAM, Toowong, is at present visiting Warwick, and is the guest of her aunt, Mrs. Horace FLOWER, Queensland National Bank.

Dr. J. HENDERSON and his sister Miss. Isobel HENDERSON, are in town for a few days. They are staying with their brother, Mr. Arthur HENDERSON, at Selby House, Wickham-terrace.

The engagement is announced of Mr. T. ABBOTT {son of H.P. ABBOTT}, and Miss Pearl AIREY {daughter of Colonel AIREY, Sydney}.

Mrs. J. MACALISTER, Milton, is visiting her sister-in-law, Mrs. T. MOWBRAY, Bundaberg, and intends remaining some weeks.

Mr. and Mrs. A.T. WARD, accompanied by Miss Ethel WARD, have returned to Brisbane, after a prolonged visit to Africa, where they were staying with Mr. WARD'S brother at Kimberley.

Mr. C.T. ELMSLIE has returned to Brisbane from Gladstone, and is staying at the Gresham Hotel. He will remain here for some weeks before returning to London.

Mr. C.A. HEUSSLER, Albion, who has been visiting his relatives in Brisbane, has returned to Western Australia.

Toowoomba, may 12
Miss ARMSTRONG is visiting her sister, Mrs. VANNECK, at Gatton.

Miss HASSELL, Ipswich, is staying with her sister, Mrs. MARWEDEL, Newtown Estate.

Miss RAMSAY, who has been on a visit to Mrs. RAMSAY, Harrow, left last week for Oondooroo, their Northern station.

Mrs. GREEN, Brisbane, is visiting her mother, Mrs. ALFORD, Russell-street.

Miss KING, Gowrie, left on Monday last for Sydney, en route for England.

The dead body of an elderly man named ELLIS was found last week in a shed, which the deceased had been occupying in Melbourne-street, South Brisbane.

Charles ADAIR, has been committed for trial at Charters Towers on charges of embezzlement from the Bank of Australasia.

A rule nisi has been granted in Sydney for a writ of attachment against John NORTON, publisher of " Truth," for publishing certain matters with reference to Mr. William Freeman KITCHEN.

The new South Wales Cabinet has decided that the law must take its course in the case of the prisoner HINES, who has been sentenced to death at West Maitland.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
There is a 16 page Supplement called The Mining Industry of North Queensland in the above paper.
Gives a full account of all the mines and photo's. It covers the areas of:--
Charters Towers
The Palmer
and Minor areas
It also gives their history and present position. A great read for anyone who ancestors mined in those area.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
For anyone interested in Kennedy's Expedition to Cape York Peninsula, there is a large write-up on pages 1124 and 1125 of the above paper. Following are the names in that party:--
E.B. KENNEDY, leader
W. CARRON, botanist
T. WALL, naturalist
C. NIBLET, storekeeper
CARPENTER, shepherd
and Jackey Jackey, a Hunter River aboriginal.
The party left Sydney on the 29th April 1848, in the barque Tam o' Shanter, they arrived at Rockingham Bay, from which place the expedition was to start, on the 21st May.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
CHALLINOR--On the 7th May , at Bundaberg, the wife of H.M. CHALLINOR, of a daughter.

DAVIS--On the 4th May, at the Bank of New South Wales, Bowen, the wife of Harry W. DAVIS, of a son.

LYONS--On the 5th May, at her residence, Fairy Bower, Geraldton, the wife of Mr. P.J. LYONS, late Head Teacher, Geraldton, of a daughter.

WOOLRYCH--On the 10th May, at Leamington, Kangaroo Point, the wife of L.C.WOOLRYCH, of a son.

BAXENDELL--HENZELL--On the 19th April, at Redcliffe, by the Rev. J.F. LEIGHTON, Joseph Arthur, third son of the late Edward BAXENDELL, of Marshfoot, Essex, England, to Annie Lumley, eldest daughter of J.H. HENZELL, Seabrae, Redcliffe.

CAMPBELL- M'GEORGE--On the 29th April, at St. James's Church, Toowoomba, by the Rev. T.D. WARNER, Arthur, youngest son of the late Dr. CAMPBELL, of Yass, New South Wales, to Edith Florence, eldest daughter of the late T.L. M'GEORGE, Esq., of Maroo, Adavale, Queensland.

M' ENTEE--FARRELL--On the 13th May, at St. Stephen's Cathedral, by the Rev. Denis FOUGHY, P.P., James, eldest son of the late James M' ENTEE, Newtownards and Baltic-avenue, Antrim-road, Belfast, to Brightie, second daughter of John FARRELL, Pommingaorna, Wagga Wagga, New South Wales.

RYLAND--DARVALL--On the 28th April, at St. Paul's Church, Ipswich, by the Rev. J. Anstruther CARDEW, M.P., Herbert, youngest son of the late John Hawksworth RYLAND, to Edith, eldest daughter of Anthony W. DARVALL.

SCHOLEFIELD--DAVIES--On the 27th March, at Rockhampton, by the Rev. Dr. HAY, D.D., George Alfred SCHOLEFIELD, of Ilfracombe, third son of William SCHOLEFIELD, formerly of Leeds, Yorkshire, to Tydfil, youngest daughter of the late Thomas DAVIES, of Merthyr Tydfil.

SMITH--LOSE--On the 11th May, at German Lutheran Nazareth Church, South Brisbane, by Pastor BECKER, F.B.U., George, eldest son of Mr. Robert SMITH, to Wilhelmine {Minnie} second daughter of Mr. Henry LOSE, Produce Merchant, both of Woolloongabba.

COATES--On the 13th May, at the residence of John F. HORSLEY, Edward-street, South Brisbane, James Percival, infant son of James A. and Edie COATES, aged 8 months.

MACDONNELL--On the 11th May, at his residence, William-street, Taringa, Edmund MACDONNELL, aged 70 years.

MACDONNELL--On the 11th May, at his residence, Whyenbah, Taringa, Right Worshipful Brother Edmund MACDONNELL, Provincial Grand Secretary of Queensland under the Irish Constitution of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.

MARTIN--On the 9th May, at her residence, Stanley-street, Wooloongabba, Mrs. A. MARTIN, after a short illness. Dearly beloved and deeply regretted by all who knew her.

M' LEAN--On the 8th May, at Harcourt-street, New Farm, after a short illness, Margaret, relict of the late John M'LEAN, and mother of Mrs. J. WATSON, Mrs. J AUSTIN, Miss Maggie M'LEAN, and Mr. John M'LEAN.

M'LEAN-- On the 8th May, at Harcourt-street, New Farm, after a short illness, Margaret, relict of the late John M'LEAN, and sister of Mrs. R. BYRNES, George-street, Breakfast Creek, and Mr. W. BAGNELL, of Pialba.

O'DONOGHUE--On the 13th March, at Bally Green House, Lizzie Mary {Missie}, eldest daughter of the late Francis O'DONAGHUE, Esq., of Bally Green House, County Clare, Ireland. Inserted by M. SIMPSON

RUGE--On the 19th March, at Normanton, William Ewald Julius Hermann, youngest son of the late Captain RUGE, Island Rugen, aged 33.

ST. GEORGE--On the 9th May, at The Mansion, George-street, Brisbane, Howard St. GEORGE, late goldfields warden, aged 72 years.

FAGAN--In loving memory of Marianne, beloved wife of Patrick FAGAN, who died at Hill-street, Gregory-terrace, 16th May, 1896. {R.I.P}

KENN--In loving memory of John, eldest son of B. and M. KENN, of Petrie-terrace, who died at North Iris, on the 12th May, 1896. Inserted by his loving parents, brothers and sisters.

RUGE--In loving memory of Albert Julius Frederick Hermann RUGE, eldest son of the late Captain RUGE, who died at Normanton on the 17th May, 1895, aged 37.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
October 29
In the case of the jockey Elijah COCKROFT, who was sentenced to death for the murder of Fanny MOHT, the Executive have decided that the law shall take its course, and COCKROFT will be executed on the 12th November

At the Police Court to-day, Fred. RANCOIS, alias, PERKINS, pleaded guilty to a charge of defrauding a Queensland miner by the confidence trick, and was sentenced to two years' imprisonment.

In the Criminal Court to-day Mr. Justice HOLROYD passed a sentence of ten years' imprisonment upon George WASH, labourer, aged 47 years, who was charged with murdering his wife at West Melbourne. He was convicted of manslaughter.

Launceston, October 26.
An epidemic has broken out at Avoca in the family of a man named FRENCH, who, with his son and brother, died. The disease has so far baffled the doctors.

Auckland, October 28
News has been received from England announcing the death of Mrs. STEEL, the adopted daughter of the late Bishop SELWYN.

William Heaton RHODES, a New Zealand student at Oxford University, from a scaffolding at Brasenose College, and was killed.

Reports have been published describing a dreadful state of affairs in the French convict settlement of Cayeene, in South America. It is alleged that the wraders have been guilty of the most inhuman cruelties towards their prisoners. Convicts are said in some instances to have been besmeared with molasses and placed on anthills, whilst others were left chained to dead men.

Hardy R. HELMSING, a young man representing SISSONS Bros., at Hull, died suddenly in Maryborough.

Mr. D.T. MULLIGAN, formerly of Rockhampton, who died recently in Dublin, has left nearly the whole of his estate to charities, his bequest including £2000 to the Rockhampton Hospital. The Brisbane Hospital has received a cheque fro £132, being the proceeds, less succession duty, of a legacy of £150 left to the institution by the late James DUNLOP.

Mr. J. WILLARD, M.L.A., of new South Wales, was charged at the Brisbane Police Court with larceny of certain documents, the property of the Postmaster-General, he was remanded fro twenty-four hours, bail being refused.

A prisoner named HEATON escaped from the Young Gaol, New South Wales.

In Chambers on Wednesday, before his Honour Mr. Justice REAL, Leopold Hugo FISHER, of Maneroo station, wool-scourer, was adjudicated insolvent, on the petition of the Bank of New South Wales, Longreach; and Jesse David SAWYER, of kangaroo Point, commission agent, was adjudicated insolvent, on his own petition.

A youth named Thomas GORDON, 18 years of age, who was in the employ of Mr. James COPLEY, of Mount Brisbane, Stanley River, for about five years, died on Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock., from the effects of an accident on Sunday. About midday he was rounding up horses when his horse became unmanageable and bolted, dashing the rider against an ironbark tree. He was conveyed to the Ipswich by train, and thence to the hospital, where he was attended to by Dr. THORNTON. His mother, who resides in Brisbane, was informed of the accident by Mr. COPLEY.

Mrs Arthur THOMPSON returned from her visit to Cairns last week, after spending a few days with her mother, Mrs. CRAIG, North Quay, proceeded to Booee, Fernvale, where she purposes remaining for the next few months as the guest of Mrs. THOMPSON.

Mrs. BOND and her daughter, Mrs. Walter MARKWELL, have returned from Toowoomba, which they visited for the purpose at attending the marriage of Mr. Lewis BOND and Miss Grace GROOM.

Mrs. WOOD {Indooroopilly} who has been visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. VIVIAN-WILLIAMS {Charleville}, has returned to town.

Mrs. Neville GRIFFITH { Sydney} is the guest of her father, Mr. John SCOTT, Lucerne, Milton.

Dr. ELLIOTT, of Sydney, has arrived in Brisbane, and is staying at the Imperial Hotel. Dr. ELLIOTT is a brother to Mrs. STENNETT, Northam.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
Missing friends
William, James, Albert GIBBS, --Sister Grace makes inquires. Her present address is Alex REEVES, Browne River, Kingston, Hobart, Tasmania.

Anyone knowing the whereabouts of William Henry YARDE, who was in Barcaldine eighteen months ago, please send address to Miss K. YARDE, G.P.O., Brisbane.

To William MONRO, jun., Elizabeth MONRO, now Mrs. STANNARD, and Jessie Ellen MONRO, your aunt has left you legacies. Apply to William ATKINSON, Warrenpoint, County Down, Ireland. -----------------

QUEENSLAND Toowoomba, May 13
Two old residents of Toowoomba died last night. One, Mr. J.G. SIMS, maltster, died at Warwick, and the other, Mr. John CONWAY, died here.

Warwick, May 13 Mr. G.J. SIMS, who was erecting a large malt house in Warwick, and which work is well on, died in hospital early this morning, aged 73 years. Deceased came to this town from Toowoomba on Monday in a weak state, and was cared for at STERNE'S Hotel till yesterday, when he was taken to the hospital. Mr. SIMS suffered from heart disease and a kidney infection, which hastened his demise. He transacted business in town yesterday.

Fatality at Clermont. p. 1111 { shortened version }
Yesterday afternoon { says the " Peak Downs Telegram " of the 7th instant} a second fatal accident happened at the Deep Lead. A man named Amaran WETTIG, with his brother Charles, J. DANN, J MURCHISON, F. BAKER, and M. GRAHAM, was sinking a shaft near the site of the old bore, and was down about 56ft. Charles WETTIG worked in the shaft up till 12 o'clock, and at this time there was nothing to suggest the presence of foul air. Returning to work after lunch, Amaran WETTIG went below to do his shift, while the latter was being lowered he called out to the man on top to stop, and immediately after to lower away. Deceased reached bottom, and soon after was heard to say, " Pull up quick." The windless man started to wind up with all possible speed, and when Amaran WETTIG was about 15ft from the bottom he fell off the rope. { A very long story then tells what happened next, please obtain full copy from your State Archive if this is your family member.

Hughenden, May 17
A young man named Charles FOX, a son of the late guard FOX, of Ipswich, died here yesterday. A post-mortem examination showed that death resulted from ulcer in the stomach, perforation, and haemorrhage.

Barcaldine, May 18
George STAYNES, one of the pioneers of the Western country in the sixties, and formerly in charge of Welford Downs, died at Stonehenge, leaving a wife and five children. The deceased had been suffering from an internal disease for some years.

Rockhampton, May 19
The body of a man named Bryan J. SPURWAY was found in the river yesterday. SPURWAY had lately been residing at the Criterion Hotel, and left there on Sunday morning, stating that he was going to Maryborough. He had not been seen since. Deceased was a brother of the owner of Boongoondoo station.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
LEUTENEGGER--On the 20th October, at Glen Avis, Clayfield, the wife of J. LEUTENEGGER, of a son.

MACGILLYCUDDY--On the 14th October, at Brisbane, the wife of F.J. MACGILLYCUDDY, Esq., of a daughter.

MACNAUGHTON--On the 11th October, at her residence, Paxton-street, Townsville, North Queensland, the wife of A.W. MACNAUGHTON, barrister-at-law, of a son.

ROBERTSON--On the 16th October, at Warranoke, Indooroopilly, the wife of Walter T. ROBERTSON, of a son.

SEXTON-- On the 20th October, at Bowen, the wife of R.E. SEXTON, of Ernestholm, Lower Proserpine, of a son.

BOND--GROOM-- On the 23rd October, at St. James's Church, Toowoomba, by the Rev. Canon WARNER, assisted by the Rev. Canon JONES, { Indooroopilly }, Lewis Martin, eldest son of Mr. George BOND, of Brisbane, to Grace Stanna, second daughter of Mr. W.H. GROOM, M.L.A., Toowoomba.

JONES--HAMILTON--At the residence of the bride's parents, Thorroldtown, on the 26th September, by Major GRAHAM, Salvation Army, Joseph Edward JONES, eldest son of William JONES, Eagle Junction, to Mary HAMILTON, eldest daughter of Alexander HAMILTON, of Thorroldtown.

MACANSH--BERNARD-- On the 22nd October, at Greendale station, Tambo, by the Rev. Charles NEWHAM, James Gilchrist, fourth son of the Hon. John D. MACANSH, M.L.C., to Elinor Frances Henrietta, youngest daughter of the late M.C. BERNARD, M.D., T.C.D., L.R.C.S.I., Dundrum, County Dublin, Ireland. { No cards }

STORIE--JONES--On the 30th October, at the residence of the bride's parents, Wellington-road, Red Hill, by the Rev. T. LEITCH, John STORIE, of Enoggera-terrace, to Amy Louisa, eldest daughter of Mr. W. JONES.

ANTHONY--On the 30th October, at his parents' residence, Percy Edwin, youngest son of William and Jane ANTHONY, Toorak-road, Breakfast Creek, aged 5 months.

FRYER--On the 24th October, at the Sick Children's Hospital, Ernest Stanley, eldest son of Charles E.S. and Amelia FRYER, aged 6½ years.

PALING--On the 29th October, at her residence, Woerden, Stanmore, Sydney, Annie Case PALING, the beloved wife of William Henry PALING.

M'CULLA--In loving memory of Ellen Jane M'CULLA, who died at Sherwood on the 31st October, 1892, aged 9 years. Inserted by her loving parents.

M'EWEN--In loving remembrance of my dear sister, Frances Ann M'EWEN, who departed this life on 29th October, 1892. Inserted by her loving sister, Sarah.

MUSGRAVE--In loving memory of our dear mother, Julia MUSGRAVE, who departed this life on the 30th October, 1892. " Thy will be done."

SMITH--In loving memory of Catherine Alice SMITH, who departed this life at the Digger's Arms Hotel on the 31st October, 1891. Inserted by her loving parents, George and Mary Ann STAEHELI. { PS There's a Digger's Arms Hotel at Calliope, just west of Gladstone, Qld.} {Bev.}

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
SERIOUS RAILWAY ACCIDENT { shortened version } page 824
Seven Lives Lost Sydney, October 31
A fearful accident happened at the Redfern Railway Station this morning, when the 9-30 train from Sydney, after advancing 200 yards from the terminus came into collision with the incoming train from Strathfield. One end of the first-class carriage in the latter train was completely smashed to pieces, being telescoped. The screams of the passengers at once attracted the attention of persons in the vicinity, and the blood-stained faces at the windows of the carriage showed that a serious accident had happened. A large number of porters and other railway employees hastened to the spot with saws and axes, and proceeded to extricate the injured passengers. The following are known to be among the injured:--E.L. JONES { of David Jones and Co }, badly hurt Joseph JOHNSON, of Concord, badly hurt. Miss HORTON, Burwood, injuries to hands. Richard GRANGER Mr. and Mrs. HART, of Ashfield Mr. FALLICK, of Homebush Mr. PYMAN, council clerk, Enfield Mr. GARSON Mr. R. BECKETT, of Concord Mr. A.J. BRIERLY Mrs. OSBORNE, Dean M'CARTHY, of Burwood Mr. W. BEAUMONT, Strathfield and Driver PIERCE, the latter being injured by boiling water. The fireman, ORR, was killed.

Both engines were completely wrecked. The scene of the wreck was enveloped in escaping steam from the broken pipes. The damaged cars were filled with scalding vapour by this means, and several passengers who were fortunate enough to escape injury by the breaking timbers were terribly disfigured. Those who were at the station describe the cries of agony as heart-rending. Some of the injured passengers dragged themselves from among the débris bleeding and scalded, and the sight was terrible. One gentleman seems to have come in direct contact with the steam pipe, but got out and blindly groped his way about, complaining of intense agony. The steam scolded him fearfully about the head, face, and hands, and he presented a terrible spectacle. The whitened skin hung from his face in great flakes, and dangled from his hands like a pair of gloves partially pulled on. Others who were unable, owing to there injuries, to release themselves were taken out by willing hands bruised and covered in blood, in some cases with injured limbs, and so disfigured that their friends did not recognise them. Amongst those injured and taken to hospital in addition to the other list are:--William DEAN, solicitor; Thomas BANKS; Thomas RYAN; each badly scalded. W.J. GREEN; Wm WILSON; Harry BEERY; RALSTON, M'KENZIE, and BULMER were badly injured. Mr. QUODLING, of the Railway department, was badly scalded in the face Also Messrs. GILLIES, NESBITT, and Mrs. DAVIES.

Dean M'CARTHY, of Burwood, who was removed to St. Vincent's Hospital, was fearfully scalded about the face, head, neck, throat, and hands. Dr. M'CARTHY was in immediate attendance, but the dean died during the afternoon. Mr. Thornton BULLMER, a barrister, aged 26 years, was scalded about the face, limbs, and body, and expired at half-past 5 this afternoon. A departmental board, consisting of Messrs. THOW, FOXLEE, KIRKCALDIE, and BEGAN, has been appointed to hold an inquiry into the accident, but a public inquiry will necessarily take place in connection with the inquest on the bodies of the fireman, ORR, and Mr. BULLMER.

In connection with the railway accident at Redfern five persons have succumbed to the fearful scalding they received. These are :--Mr. Edward JONES, of the firm of David Jones and Co Dean M'CARTHY, a prominent Roman Catholic official. Mt. T. BULLMER, a barrister. PIERCE, the engine-driver. and the fireman ORR, of the Burwood train.

Sydney, November 1 Mr. W. QUODLING, who was one of the persons injured, and was an old officer in the Railway Department, but was on the retired list, died at 2 o'clock this morning. This makes the sixth death. Mr. QUODLING'S injuries were scalds on the face, arms, and throat. Mr. A.E. GRAINGER, aged 32 years, son of Superintendent GRAINGER, of Goulburn, died at 2.15 this morning in the Sydney Hospital. He was suffering from burns and scalds on his head. This makes the seventh death.
{ Please visit your State Archive to read further details on this tragic event, too much detail to re-type here.}

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
Latest by Telegraph
Cairns, October 30
Complaints about larrikinism have been rife for a long time past, and to-day at the Police Court Arthur HODGKINSON, George REDDEN, and Alfred FOWLER were sentenced to one month's imprisonment each in Herberton Gaol for assaulting a Chinaman.

Barcaldine, October 29
At the annual meeting of the Boiling Down Company there was a large attendance of the shareholders, and the proceedings were most enthusiastic. The following were elected directors:-- Messrs. Hugh SAVAGE { chairman }, Arthur PARNELL, James M. NIALL, Arthur Raymond BROWN, Daniel M'LAUGHLIN, John Peter VESPER, and James MECHAM. With the exception of the last named all have held office since the foundation of the company two and a half years ago.

Rockhampton, October 29
Roland Otto MAESER, aged 6 years, was playing round the fire in the kitchen of his mother's house yesterday, when his clothes ignited, and the little fellow, who was instantly enveloped in flames, rushed into the yard. Two neighbours extinguished the flames by wrapping blankets round him. The boy was removed to the hospital, where he died last night.

A child 5 years old, daughter of John Thomas FELL, died early on Sunday morning from the effects of burning on Tuesday. She was playing with rags on a fire outside her father's residence at Riffle Range, when her clothes caught alight and she was severely burned

At the Police Court this morning Richard SPENCER, age 70, was committed for trial on a charge of wounding Richard HALL, aged 7 years, with intent to do grievous bodily harm. The prisoner said HALL and other boys stole fruit from his garden and ran away. They stood outside the fence eating it, and he fired into a patch of brigalow between where he was standing and where the boys were, to frighten them.

Maryborough, October 29
A daughter of Mr. H. MISSING, of Gootchie, aged about 13 years, was shot accidentally by a revolver on Sunday afternoon at Bopple. The bullet went through her neck close to the jugular vein, and she was taken to the hospital to-day.

Toowoomba, Oct 28
A young man named William KENNEDY was found drowned at Drayton on Saturday in a shallow waterhole. He was out hare hunting, and was subject to epileptic fits, and it is believed that while obtaining a drink he was seized with a fit, and his head being immersed in the water he was suffocated.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894

October 18
Two deaths have occurred in the town during the past week.
The first was that of a shearer named Robert GOULD, who had been working at Warrnambool, and who died at HUTCHESON'S Hotel after four weeks' illness.

The other was a young man named James MACQUARIE, who was brought in from Watts Creek last Saturday and located at STEELE'S Hotel, where he was assiduously treated by Dr. WELLFORD. On the following Monday morning the doctor, thinking the hotel was not quiet enough, had him carried on a mattress up to his house, but he was too far gone, and expired in about ten minutes.

October 25
Sergeant Rody BRYNE and his patrol arrived here last Tuesday. They unfortunately were unsuccessful in their endeavours the catch the CLUNY thieves, for when they had tracked them forty miles from the gorge where the Boulia policeman had the encounter with them rain came on, and they were obliged to give it up. On arriving at Cork they heard that Lucknow station had been " stuck up " and went without delay straight across country; to find, however, that it was a false report

John ANDERSON and Michael O'NEILL, the two men arrested at Windorah, were dealt with yesterday. The former was first charged with illegally using a horse, the property of Michael ROBERTS, of this town, which horse he had in his possession when arrested. He pleaded in extenuation that he intended coming back by Jundah, leaving the horse here on his return. An unsympathetic bench sentenced him to twelve months hard labour. He also received sentences of four months each on the charges of stealing a pack-saddle from a Chinaman at Warrnambool last September, and stealing from the Mayne Hotel.
His fellow prisoner, Michael O'NEILL got four months on each of three charges--namely, stealing pack-bags from Mayne Hotel, tomahawk and hat from a saddler named MATTHEWS at Mayne River, and pack-saddle from a Chinaman at Warrnambool. Sentences in each cumulative.

Patrick Joseph M'CARTHY, alias " The Irish Detective ", alias " Paddy the Mug ", was brought up to-day on a charge of stealing £4 from and old man named Edward MOSS, who was drunk. The police prosecuted on the charge of being found loitering with intent to rob, on which count he was found guilty and sentenced to six months' imprisonment. M'CARTHY then claimed the £4, when police preferred a charge of being in possession of £4 reasonably supposed to be stolen, at the same time stating that if prisoner withdrew all claim to the £4 no evidence would be offered. Prisoner withdrew his claim, and the money was handed over to MOSS. The Town is very quiet, the Police Court the only excitement during the week.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
In the Supreme Court of Queensland
Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction { shortened version}
In the Goods of William COLEMAN, in the Colony of Queensland, Selector, deceased, Intestate. Notice is hereby given that the Accounts of the Administrator from the Twenty-second day of June, 1894, to the Thirtieth day of September, 1894, in the Estate of the above-named deceased have this day been filed in my office. All parties having any claims against the said Estate, or being otherwise interested therein, are requested to come in before me at my Office, Supreme Court House, William-street, Brisbane, on or before Tuesday, the Eleventh day of December next, and inspect the said Accounts, and if they shall think fit object thereto; etc. etc.
Dated this Thirtieth day of October, 1894
Deputy Registrar
FOXTON & CARDEW, Albert Chambers, Albert-street, Brisbane, and at Ipswich, Proctors for the Administration.

O'COCK, John Ratcliffe, shall be glad to hear from you. Send your address. P. MACPHERSON.

If this should meet the eye of John DOCKING, he may remember taking a ticket two years ago in an Art Union for the Catholic Church. The number of his ticket won a valuable Mare, now in the possession of Samuel BRASSINGTON, of Augathella.

Re Quintin HEXT, deceased. Sarah Jane HARRIS, wife of Thomas HARRIS and daughter of the late Thomas
HEXT, of Totnes, Devon, England, or any of her descendants, will obtain valuable information relative to the Estate of the above if they communicate with Messrs. KELLOCK, Solicitors, Totnes, Devon, England. Totnes, 27th August, 1894.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
Pursuant to an order of the Supreme Court of Queensland made in an action M'ARDLE, and Others v the Curator of Intestate Estates { 1890, No.1129 }, the persons claiming to be next of kin and heir-at-law of Rose M'ARDLE, formerly of Tullinavall, in the Parish of Lower Creggan, in the County of Armagh, sometime of Sydney and Bourke, in the Colony of New South Wales, and of Brisbane, in the Colony of Queensland, Spinster, deceased, living at the time of the said Rose M'ARDLE'S death on the Seventh day of August, 1870, or to be the legal personal representative of such of the next of kin as are now dead; and the persons claiming to be next of kin or heir-at-law of Michael M'ARDLE, formerly of Tullinavall, and who married one Mary QUINN in or about the year 1835 and emigrated to America, or to be the legal personal representatives of such of the said next of kin as are now dead; and the persons claiming to be next of kin or heir-at-law of Felix M'ARDLE of Tullinavall aforesaid, then of Bathurst and Sydney, in the Colony of New South Wales, and who went to Stoney Castle Goldfields, and is believed subsequently joined his father, the said Michael M'ARDLE in America, or to be the legal personal representatives of such of the said next of kin as are now dead, are, by their Solicitors, on or before the Twenty-second day of October, 1895, to come in and prove their claims at the Chambers of his Honour the Chief Justice of Queensland, Supreme Court House, George-street, Brisbane, Queensland, or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of the said order. Tuesday, the twenty-second day of October, 1895, at Ten o'clock in the forenoon, at the said Chambers, is appointed for hearing and adjudicating upon the claims.
Dated the Twenty-fourth day of October, 1894.
Willm. BELL
Registrar, Supreme Court of Queensland.
CHAMBERS, BRUCE, & M'NAB, Adelaide-street, Brisbane, Queensland for the above named Plaintiffs.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 3, 1894
Helping to Find Lost Relatives
The following is a list, taken from Lloyd's Weekly newspaper, of persons who left the United Kingdom for Australasia, or were last heard of in these colonies, and who are inquired for by friends in Great Britain. Answers to inquires should be sent to the editor of Lloyd's who has the address of the inquiring friends, and it is requested that these answers mention should be made of the newspaper through which discoveries are made.
September 9, 1894
From Charter Towers, Queensland, a request, printed on 12th August, was sent for news of the family or relatives of James MOULD and his children, who left Glastonbury for Australia in 1851. This received an immediate reply from a cousin of the applicant, living at the old town in Somersetshire mentioned.

ARNOLD, James, left England about twenty-five years ago; last heard of from St. Arnaud, Victoria, Australia. William ARNOLD went to Philadelphia about fourteen years ago. James ARNOLD'S son James asks.

BARNETT, George Thomas, born at Rickmansworth, Herts, on 24th May, 1856, and nephew of Thomas BOSWELL, of Clifton Hall, Heidelberg, Australia, left England for Australia on 28th or 29th June, 1878, by the Lusitania; he was last heard of about three years ago from Cheeseman's Creek, N.S.W.. His Mother would be glad to hear news of him.

BRAZIER, Hezekiah, left Hig..ooding?, Essex, for Sydney twenty-one years back. Sister Emily would be glad of news.

COLLINS, Mrs. T., was last heard of from Oondooroo station, via Hughenden, in October, 1892. Sister asks.

COOMBS, Frederick William Edwin, aged 21, left Liverpool for America five years ago; last heard of from New South Wales in 1892. Mother asks.

COVELL, John Lucas, sailed in the Royal Dane for Queensland, Australia, about the 18th December, 1866. Sisters' children inquire.

DARLEY, Mrs--Bonney, proprietress of the Rose Hotel, Bunbury, Western Australia, left there three years ago, N.W. DARLEY, asks.

DARRAH, George, kept the Town Hall Hotel, Johnstone and Napier-streets, Fitzroy, Melbourne, and was last heard of from Ada Cottages, Victoria-street, Fitzroy. His sister, Mrs. KENT, seeks his widow, his granddaughter, Mrs. DENNY, or his grandson, William CARDWELL.

DICKSON, George, Butcher, left Poplar for New Zealand, August, 1880, in the ship Warimid; last heard from in 1889. Sister Sarah.

GREEN, Amelia, left London about twirty-two { possibly should be thirty-two } years since for New Zealand. Brother William who was in India twenty years, now inquires.

GUPPY, Samuel, formerly of Bristol, would like to hear from his relatives in Sydney, Australia, who last wrote about 1880.

HENDON, Elizabeth, last wrote home from Mackay, Australia, in August, 1883. Her mother, Mrs. BOWLER, is anxious for news.

HOOD, Mary Ann--Brockie, with her husband and son William, left England in October, 1874; last news from Ipswich, Australia. Brothers John and Samuel ask.

HOUGH, Harry, is supposed to be working on a railway in Sydney. Son Asks.

KEARY, Peter, left Ballybough, Dublin, fourteen years ago, and went to New York. When he last wrote to his sister he was in Australia.

KEYWOOD, Arthur Charles, of 42nd Company, R.M., was on board H.M.S. Nelson at Sydney about seven years ago. Sister Ellen asks.

MURPHY, John and Margaret, are sought by their brother Thomas. John, known as George SMITH, went to Melbourne about thirty-three years ago, and was last heard of in December, 1870, from Warren's diggings, Idaho, Washington; Margaret left Liverpool in 1868, and last wrote from Beaufort, Australia.

SHORT, Rosetta, sailed from Blackwall in June 1891, for Queensland; last wrote from Townsville, Queensland, in 1890. Brother Ben.

TRISH, Mrs., wishes to find her son, who was last at Cudgen, Tweed River, New South Wales, about two years ago.

TURNER, John--J. Leslie, left England in April, 1886; last heard of from Grenfell, N.S.W, in October, 1891. parents ask.

PS The names Bonney, Brockie and Leslie may either be the maiden surname of the person being looked for, or an alias that that person may be using.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894

Richard BRITTON committed suicide at Gin Gin in a most determined manner.

A kanaka named Johnny has been sentenced to death for the murder of Mrs. BAUMGARTEN at Double Peak.

A man by the name of Jacob GANTEV has been murdered near Mackay, and it is supposed that the murder was committed by Kanakas.

Petitions have been filed for the liquidation of the estates of William POCOCK, of Brisbane, commission agent, and Patrick MADDEN, of Rosewood, contractor.

The miner, James LOUIS, who met with an accident at Victory Mill, Monal, on the 5th instant, has succumbed to his injuries.

An inquiry has been held. Mr. William Byron NATHAN, of Walaya station has been killed by blacks, and one native has been arrested in connection with the murder, and taken into Boulia.

The chief mate, Government agent, and four of the crew of the labour vessel William Manson, were on Saturday arrested in Brisbane on charges of kidnapping.

Captain VOS, late master of the William Manson, was arrested in Sydney on a charge of kidnapping.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894

The marriage of Mr. C. SEYMOUR-ALLEN and Miss PERKINS { Eveleen }, eldest daughter of the Hon. Patrick PERKINS, M.L.C., was celebrated at St. Stephen's Cathedral at 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon. { large write-up }.

Mrs. BENNETT, { Sydney } has arrived in Brisbane on a visit to her sister, Mrs Herbert PERRY, Miegunyah, Breakfast Creek.

Mr. W.C. CAMERON, Melbourne, is spending a short time in Brisbane as the guest of the Rev. G.D. BUCHANAN, and Mrs. BUCHANAN, The Manse, Toowong. Mr. CAMERON is the son of the late Rev. Dr. CAMERON, of Chalmers Church, Eastern Hill, Melbourne.

Mrs. BURNS, of the Ellangowan Hotel, Augathella , and her daughter, Miss CAVANAGH, are staying at The Grange, Sandgate.

Rockhampton, November 15
Mrs GAIRDNER, of Clare station, arrived in town on Sunday last on a visit to her sister, Mrs. H. E. SWANWICK.

Miss LEE { Wallsend, New South Wales } has been chosen out of fifteen applicants as matron of the Children's Hospital here, and will commence her duties here on the 1st December.

Townsville, November 10
Mrs. and Miss MURPHY left on Monday for Toowoomba, where they intend to reside permanently.

Miss ALLEN arrived from the South by the Koonoowarra this morning, and is guest of her sister, Mrs. E. RIDDLE.

Mr. and Mrs. WELLS, Cooktown, have come to reside here, and have taken a house on Stanton Hill.

Mr. James GORDON, of Cluden, returned from Scotland this week, via Southern colonies.

Gympie, November 19
Miss LUYA, Brisbane, is visiting her sister, Mrs. WOODROW.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894

Rockhampton, November 15
The case against William M'CARTHY, who is charged with perjury in connection with the COOMBEMARTIN trial, was proceeded with, and was not concluded when the court rose for the day. Mr. KING prosecuted for the Crown, and the accused was defended by Mr. PATTISON. The evidence for the Crown was similar to that given against BROMLEY, while for the defence LANGSTON and RITCHINGS { who were called in BROMLEY'S case}, William Edward NALDER, a carpenter, and Thomas MALONEY, one of the men waiting his trial for perjury, were examined. No new facts transpired, but MALONEY, adhered to the statement he made at the trial of PRIOR, that he saw a revolver in Sub-inspector CARR'S hand before the shot was fired.

November 16
The trial of William M'CARTHY for perjury in connection with the COOMBEMARTIN trial was concluded at the District Court at 6 o'clock to-night. After twenty-five minutes' consideration the jury returned a verdict of " Guilty ", and the prisoner was remanded for sentence. The court then adjourned until Monday.
Other names connected to above perjury cases are:
ROCHE, he was found guilty { no initials}
Henry CASEY { his case stands as part heard }
Mr. KING and Mr. POWER, prosecuting counsel

Statutory Notice to Creditors p 1001 { shortened version }
Re Lachlan M'BEAN, Deceased
Notice is hereby given that all Creditors and other persons having any claims or demands against the Estate of Lachlan M'BEAN, late of Woorooma Station, near Deniliquin, in the Colony of New South Wales, Settler, deceased, who died on or about the Nineteenth day of January, 1894, and Ancillary Probate of whose Will was, on the Third day of September, 1894, granted by the Supreme Court of Queensland to Lachlan M'Bean GRANT, of Butherwah Station, near Urana, in the Colony of New South Wales, Settler, James Charles WALKER, of Bourke-street, Melbourne, in the Colony of Victoria, Stock and Station Agent; and John Marshall FINLAYSON, of City Bank Chambers, Elizabeth-street, Melbourne aforesaid, Solicitor, the Executors and Trustees named therein, are requested to send in their claims and etc. etc, on or before Thirty-first day of December, 1894.
Dated this Fifteenth day of November 1894.
HART, FLOWER,& DRURY, Solicitors, Adelaide Street, Brisbane, agents for HODGSON & FINLAYSON, Elizabeth-street, Melbourne.

By Telegraph and Otherwise
A petition has been filed for the liquidation of the estate of William HORAN, Brisbane, drayman.

George Buchanan CORBETT, of Charleville, boarding-house keeper, has been adjudicated insolvent

Messrs. B.D. MOREHAED and Co. advise having booked the following passengers per R.M.S. Ophir, leaving Sydney on the 19th instant for London, via usual ports, namely:-- Messrs. Thomas WINNETT, W. DOUBLEDAY, and Alfred HICKS.

The following applications for letters patent have been received by the
Registrar of patents :-- p 1002
J. SQUIRE, of Southwark, London, England, butcher.

T.G.LAHEY and J.W. LAHEY, of South Brisbane, Queensland, Sawmillers.

E. MARSHALL, of High-street, Henfield, Sussex, England, chemist.

D.F. EDWARD, of Brisbane-street, Ipswich, Queensland, artist designer and photographer.

T. AFFLECK, of Bondi, New South wale, commercial traveller.

A.L. MUNSON, of new York, United States of America, Manufacturer of cigarette machinery.

In view of the great interest at present being taken in the meat export industry, we are pleased to note the arrival of a shipment of 115 Border Leicester and Lincoln rams, which were landed on Monday, per steamer Eurimbla, from Victoria, to the consignment of the Union Mortgage and Agency Company. These sheep were carefully selected from the flocks of:----
Messrs. Thomas A. GRANT; Ellen ELGIN; and E.A. PORTER, Inwood, Toolern and J.C. COCHRANE, Oaklands, for Mr. J. Tyson DONELY, of Brookstead, near Pittsworth. The Border Leicesters are an exceptionally fine lot, and being one of the first importations of this breed on the Darling Downs, their progeny will be looked forward to with interest.

DALGETY and Co. Limited, was registered yesterday in the Supreme Court of Queensland. Registered shareholders;
William Wilton PHIPPS, 19 Billiter-street, London, Middlesex, merchant.
Charles CHURCHILL, 29 Clements-lane, London, broker.
Frederick Augustus Du CROZ, 52 Lombard-street, London, merchant.
Henry Wilson Demain SAUNDERS, 52 Lombard-street, London, merchant.
Septimus Johnson Du CROZ, 52 Lombard-street, London, merchant.
Edmund Theodore DOXAT, 52 Lombard-street, London, merchant
Pascoe Charles GLYN, 67 Lombard-street, London, banker.
One hundred each. Registered office, 133 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane.

As an instance of the difficulties sometimes experienced by post officials, the " Age " cites the following:
The address of the letter commenced with the word " Mr " and than a sketch of a chest of tea, followed by a piece of brick or stone fencing. Below this are a hammer and an anvil, and then a pyramid with some palm trees and a view of hilly country. Under this is an obliterated Victorian stamp and the word " Australia ". One of the mail clerks has worked this out to mean, "Mr. T. WALL, blacksmith, Pyramid Hill, Victoria, " and the letter has been forwarded accordingly.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894
English and Foreign by our London Correspondent
Alan FERGUSSON, the youngest son of Sir James FERGUSSON, M.P., formerly Governor of South Australia and New Zealand, aged 16, was arrested some three weeks ago, charged with setting fire to Trinity College, Glenalmond, near Perth, where he was a student. He was brought up and pleaded guilty to the charge of incendiarism, and of destroying eighteen rooms of the college. together with the college museum.

New South Wales Sydney, November 14
Mr. S.A. FOX, of Goulburn, acting manager of the local branch of the Commercial Bank of Sydney, accidentally shot himself through the chest with a revolver when cleaning it yesterday, and he died this morning from the effects of the wound.

Hilda WALLACE, who was arraigned on a charge of fortune-telling, and Albert Edward TWIGG, who was charged with being and accessory, to-day pleaded guilty at the quarter sessions, and were released under a bond to be of good behaviour for three years, and to come up for sentence within that time if called upon.

November 15
At Emmaville a little girl called CECIL met with a fatal accident. Her clothes caught alight while she was playing with the fire, and she was burned to death.

W.D. OWEN, late teller in the Australian Joint Stock Bank at Sunny Corner, was to-day charged at the local police court with stealing £187 17s. 6d., the moneys of the bank, and was committed for trial. The accused said nothing except that he did the thing in a joke, intending to have a bit of fun with the manager.

It is reported that Archdeacon GUNTHER, of Parramatta, has been offered the Bishopric.........??????{paper damaged} Riverina, which was rendered vacant with the death of the late Dr. LINTON.

A sum of £500 has been collected in aid of the widow of the Fireman BROWN, who was killed by the fall of a wall at the fire at LAWSON'S premises some time back.

A decision was given to-day by the Full Court that a married woman living with her husband was not capable under the Licensing Act of holding a publican's license.

November 16
A man named Thomas BONNOR has been arrested near Tolarno station on suspicion of being concerned in the burning of the steamer Rodney on the Darling River some time ago. November 18 Sir William Farmer, who has returned to the colony after an absence of some twenty years, was entertained by the employees of Messrs. FARMER and Co. yesterday.

November 19
Stamp duty was to-day paid on the estate of the late W. MILLER, of Armadale, gold miner, the estate being proved at £31,300. The whole is bequeathed in trust to his children, after an income of £500 is allowed to his wife.

Mr E. MURNIN, who for many years was a prominent merchant and shipowner in Sydney, died on Friday at his residence, at Mittagong, in his 81st year.

{ Shortened version} The quiet serenity of the service at the Wesleyan Church at Rookward was disturbed on Sunday by a man named Edward FLOOD, who, in the midst of the devotional exercise, entered the church and caused a fracas. He was forcibly removed, to the great concern of the congregation, several of whom fainted. The outcome of the freak was that FLOOD was brought up at the Police Court to-day committed for trial on a charge of disturbing the service.

Melbourne, November 16
Martha VENNELL, who was charged with the murder of her son at Maryborough, was to-day found not guilty and discharged.

November 19
Helena ELLIOTT, aged 24, a recent arrival from Adelaide, was to-day found dead on the railway at Scarsdale Junction, her head being completely severed from her body. The deceased's brain was affected from a recent fever. It is supposed that she committed suicide.

November 20
The motion for a new trial in the libel action SPEIGHT v. SYME has been adjourned till March next, as the Judge will be unable to hear the matter before them.

Adelaide, November 20
Frank MOORE, residing near Meadows, was engaged quarrying at Clarenden to-day, when a quantity of earth fell on him and killed him. He leaves a widow and five children

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894
LUKIN-- On the 4th November, at Serenala, Archer-street, Toowong, the wife of Lionel LUKIN, barrister-at-law, of a daughter

MILNE-- On the 15th November, at Tarranalma, Old Sandgate-road, Albion, the wife of James MILNE, of a daughter.

SMITH--On the 9th November, Mrs. G.T. SMITH, Post Office, Nanango, of a son.

YOOL--On the 4th November, at Senefru, Sturt-street, Townsville, the wife of William YOOL, of a daughter.

FRASER--PHILLIPS--On the 31st October, by the Rev. BUCHANAN, A.W. FRASER, to Clara PHILLIPS.

REID--HILLIER--On the 26th October, at the Manse, by the Rev. L.C. JAMIESON, John M'Kenzie, fourth son of William REID, Brisbane, to Alice, youngest daughter of William HILLIER, Brisbane.

BINSTEAD--On the 10 November, at her son-in-law's house, Riverside, Coomera, Mary, beloved wife of William Alfred BINSTEAD, of Coomera House, Coomera, aged 67 years. LONG--

On the 11th November, Annie Margaret May, the only child of Dennis and Annie LONG, of convulsions, aged 5months and 11 days.

MACRAE--On the 16th October, at her residence, Cricket-street, Brisbane, Louisa, the beloved wife of Angus MACRAE, and second daughter of Mr. W. BIDGOOD, of Crow's Nest, aged 42 years.

PERSSE--On the 6th November, killed whilst out hunting, Dudley T. PERSSE, late Lieutenant-Colonel 13th Prince Albert's, Light Infantry, sixth son of Burton PERSSE, Moyode Castle, County Galway, Ireland, and brother to De Burgh PERSSE, Tabragalba, Queensland.

WATSON--On the 4th November, at the Mackay Hospital, Charles WATSON, of Fernbrook, Walkerston, eldest son of the late Pilot WATSON, of Moreton Bay, aged 56 years.

DOOREY--In fond and loving remembrance of our dearly-beloved nephew, Adolphus A.R. DOOREY, and grandson of the late R B Gee, who departed this life on the 14th November, 1889, in New South Wales. Inserted by his affectionate aunts.

FANNON--In fond and loving remembrance of our dearly beloved mother, Mrs. Margaret FANNON, who departed this life on the 15th November, 1890, at her residence, Pratten-street, Petrie-terrace. Inserted by her affectionate daughter, Ruth FANNON.

PRESCOTT--In loving remembrance of our dear brother, Thomas PRESCOTT, died 14th November, 1892. Gone, but not forgotten.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, November 24, 1894

Cairns, November 14
David WALTERS, aged 38, a blacksmith, who was well known at Gympie, died in the Cairns Hospital to-day of heart disease.

Bowen, November 16
H.W. JACOBS, a solicitors clerk, in the employ of Mr. E.H. BLEAS, was charged at the Police Court to-day with obtaining a sum of three guineas from Mr. E.G. SMITH under false pretences, and was committed for trial, bail being allowed.

November 17
H.W. JACOBS, who was committed for trial yesterday charged with obtaining money by false pretences, and was released on bail, was arrested this morning on a charge of embezzlement.

Mackay, November 21
At the Criminal Sittings of the Supreme Court to-day, before Mr. Justice CHUBB, Johnny, a Kanaka, was charged with the murder of Mrs. BAUMGARTEN, at Double Peak about two months ago. The prisoner was found guilty, and sentenced to death.

Rockhampton, November 15
In the district Court this morning the Crown Prosecutor { Mr. KING } announced that he found no true bill in the case of Richard SPENCER, 70 years of age, who was committed for trial on a charge of shooting a boy named Richard HALL, 7 years of age, with intent to do grievous bodily harm. SPENCER was rearrested later in the day and charged with shooting with intent to maim. He was committed for trial at the Supreme Court, to be held on the 23rd April next, bail being granted, himself in £80, and one surety of £80.

November 24
The body of an elderly woman named PEARSE was found in a creek at Wycarbah, on the Central Railway, yesterday morning. It is supposed to be a case of suicide. Mrs PEARSE only arrived here a few months ago from England after the death of her husband and son, and went to live with her son-in-law, named RANGER, a selector at Wycarbah. Latterly she has complained of the heat and of the rough life in Australia, and expressed a desire to return to the old country. In the early hours of Tuesday morning one of her daughters heard her moving about, and spoke, when the deceased said she was just going to sleep. Next morning Mrs. PEARSE was missing, and her tracks were followed right down to the waterhole where he body was found.

Bundaberg, November 19
Mr. James Angel GRIGG, head of the firm GRIGG and Co., grocers, died this morning from consumption.

Maryborough, November 16
A man named John ROSSITER was drowned to-day while bathing in the Burrum River.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, June 15, 1895
{ these are shortened versions }
Statutory Notice to Creditors
Archibald HUGHES, late of Bundamba, in the Colony of Queensland, Grazier, deceased, who died on the Twenty-eighth day of January, 1895, of whose Will Probate was granted by the Supreme Court on the Twenty-fifth day of April, 1895, to Charles Christopher CAMERON, of Ipswich, Auctioneer, and Richard BURRELL, of same place, Accountant, as the Executors, anyone with claims etc. are required to lodge them on or before the Thirteenth day of July, 1895 etc.etc. Dated the Eleventh day of June, 1895
{ Full entry }
Thomas Brewis LETTS, late of St. Albans, in the County of Herts. England. Whereas application has been made to the High Court of Justice in England, Chancery Division, in re Richard Claridge LETTS, deceased, COLES v LETTS, 1895, L., No 549, to determine whether, under the trusts of the Will of the said Richard Claridge BETTS { that's what it says, should be LETTS, Bev }, the defendants, Frank LETTS and Frederick LETTS, the children of Edward LETTS, in the said Will named are entitled to a Freehold House in Spencer-street, St. Albans aforesaid, and to the accumulated rents thereof. And whereas said Thomas Brewis LETTS, and, if dead, such of his children as should be living at his decease, and the issue of those dead are interested in the said house and rents. The said Thomas Brewis LETTS, if living, or, if dead, any persons claiming under his as aforesaid to be interested in the said Hereditaments are, on or before the 24th day of October, 1895, to come in and prove their claim at the Chambers of Mr. Justice STIRLING, at the Royal Courts of Justice, Strand, London, England, or in default thereof they will be peremptorily excluded from the benefit of any Order to be made on the said application.
Tuesday, the 5th day of November, 1895, at 12 o'clock at noon, at the said Chambers, is the time fixed for hearing and adjudicating on the said claims {if any }.
The said Thomas Brewis LETTS is said to have left England about 1873, and was last heard of by his family in the year 1882, as being in Georgetown, in the Colony of Queensland, when he then expressed his intention of going to the Gold Diggings in South Africa.
Dated this 26th day of April, 1895
H.F. CHURCH, Chief Clerk
POTTER, SANDFORD, & KILVINGTON, 36 King-street, Cheapside, London, agent for George ANNESLEY, St. Albans, Plaintiff's Solicitor.

{ shortened version }
re John DRAKE, deceased.
Pursuant to the Trustees and Incapacitated Persons Act of 1867, notice is hereby given that all Persons having any claim or demands upon or against the estate of John DRAKE, late of South Brisbane, in the Colony of Queensland, Freeholder, deceased, who died on the First day of March, 1895, and whose Estate and Effects etc. etc. Claims to be sent on or before Saturday, the Thirteenth day of July next. Dated this Sixth day of June, 1895.
WINTER & M'NAB, Queen-street, Brisbane.

In the matter of the Trustee Act, 1889, and in the Matter of the Trusts of the Will of Johann Gottfried WAGNER, late of Brisbane, in the Colony of Queensland, Freeholder, deceased. Notice is hereby given that the Accounts of Andrew WAGNER, the Trustee of the above named Estate, from the Twenty-first day of November, 1893, to the Eleventh day of February, 1895, were filed in my office on the Twentieth day of February, 1895, etc. etc. dated this Sixth day of June, 1895. W.A. DOUGLAS, Deputy registrar, MACPHERSON & FEEZ, Trustee's Solicitors, Lutwyche Chambers, Adelaide-street, Brisbane.

Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, June 15, 1895

A married woman named MITCHELL, 67 years of age, was killed at Crow's Nest by a limb of a falling tree.

A boy named Fred. POMEROY was accidentally shot dead by another at Cobar.

Ezra ABRAHAMS, who shot a young woman named GOODACRE at Camperdown, Sydney, and immediately afterwards shot himself, has since died in the hospital, but Miss GOODACRE is reported to be recovering.

Brisbane Society
The marriage of Mr. J. WATTS to Miss Georgina M'CARTHY, second daughter of Captain M'CARTHY, Kangaroo Point, is arranged to take place during the first week of August.

The marriage between Mr. James STUART, Rockwood, North Queensland, and Miss SALISBURY will take place on Wednesday, the 10th July, at St. Peter's Church, Southport.

New South Wales
Sydney, June 5
A young man named David WILLIAMS died to-day at Berrigan from the result of injuries received in a fight with a selector named Patrick CORBETT. A dispute between the two men arose over preference shown to CORBETT by the waitress at a local hotel, and the two fought in the moonlight, with the result that WILLIAMS was rendered insensible, and never recovered. June 7

In giving judgement to-day in the claim of Mrs. PIERCY { nee Miss Augusta DARGON } for £3366, the amount of the first prize in Tattersall's sweep, which she had drawn under the name of E. DRAKE, and which amount the official assignee demanded on behalf of the creditors in her husband's insolvent estate, Mr. Justice MANNING stated that he was bound to believe the evidence of Mrs. PIERCY and her husband , Dr. PIERCY, and as he was satisfied that Mrs. PIERCY had bought the ticket which won the sweep, he would make an order that she should receive the money.

A boy named Fred. POMEROY was shot at Cobar to-day under unusual circumstances. He met another lad named Willie CROW, who had been out shooting, and dancing in front of him, he declared that he could not shoot him. CROW thereupon took aim and shot him below the right shoulder blade, death being instantaneous. At the inquest to-day a verdict of accidental death was returned.

On Saturday afternoon an attempt was made to murder a young woman named Mary Adelaide GOODACRE in Thomas-street, Camperdown, and immediately afterwards her assailant Ezra ABRAHAM, attempted to commit suicide. Jealousy is the only motive that can be assigned for the crime. { Ezra later died in the Prince Alfred Hospital, June 10 }

Melbourne, June 7
A woman named JOHNSON, has been discovered burnt to death in a house which caught fire near Llanelly and Tamagulla. It is supposed that she knocked over a lamp and was too weak to put out the flames.

June 11
Harry AUSTIN, a middle-aged man, received 15 lashes at the Pentridge Stockade to-day for indecency. The prisoner wept bitterly throughout the punishment.

Thought that this may interest readers,
Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, June 15, 1895

Some Quaint Burial and Wedding Customs
A recently published book, by Mr. William ANDREWS. F.R.H.S., on Curious Church Customs," mentions, among curious burial customs, the kindly Swedish practice of placing a small looking glass in the coffin of an unmarried woman. Matrons wore their hair braided and bound, but maids carried it loose, and it was thought that they would be glad of their looking glass to help them " put it tidy " when they awoke at the sound of their last trump.

In the seventeenth century banns of marriage were forbidden in church on slighter grounds than would justify such interference now. The banns of Edward MORTON and Jane GODWIN at Frampton, in Lincolnshire, were forbidden, on the grounds first, that MORTON was a stranger, ant that, therefore, there was no knowing if he was married or single; and secondly, because he was a poor man, and it was desirable " to secure the town from any charge of him or his."

Perhaps, however, this excess of caution is better than the recklessness of the HERRNHUTTERS, whose method of selecting husbands and wives is as follows:-- " The men and women of marriageable age are collected in a house with a suite of rooms, each opening into the other, the young men in one end room and the young women in the other; then the doors from these two rooms are thrown open into the middle room, which is perfectly darkened. After this follows a sort of general scramble, or ' catch who can,' and whichever girl the man catches becomes his wife." Of a different kind of interest is the ceremony of reuniting man and wife after years of estrangement, recorded by the register of St. Mary's Church, Bermondsey, 1604, with a form of solemn words appointed for the renewal of vows.

These pages contains transcripts of newspapers, a postal directory and a register that have been typed up from the original. 
I have no further information than what is on these pages.  You may find microfische of the originals at your local or state library

Home ] Up ] Page 1 ] Page 2 ] Page 3 ] [ Page 4 ] Page 5 ] Page 6 ] Page 7 ] Page 8 ] Page 9 ] Page 10 ] Page 11 ] Page 12 ] Page 13 ] Page 14 ]