Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Your IP address is

Passing of Leo Doubler of Atkinson, Illinois

PASSING OF LEO DOUBLER.

Early Day Resident Here  - But One House in Atkinson When He Arrived Here in 1857.

Leo Doubler, a respected resident of Atkinson and vicinity since 1857, passed away in the fullness of years Saturday evening, July 31, at 9:30 o'clock.
 
Mr Doubler came to Atkinson from his native home in Belgium in 1857 and there was but one house on the present site of Atkinson Village. Continually residing here, Mr Doubler has led an industrious life, reared a large family and has been a useful and upright citizen of the community. Because of his industry and right living he was blessed not only with long extended years but a handsome competency. Mr. Doubler was held in high esteem in the community so long his home.

Owner of the NE 1/4 of section 1 and the S 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of section 1 in Cornwall containing 238, 89 acres = 96, 67 HA
I-80 runs east-west across this area today
His son John bought between 1895-1910 the N 1/2 of the NW 1/4 of section 1 in Cornwall containing 74,83 acres=30,30 Ha

1900 census

Leo Doubler was born in Caprika, Belgium, August 17, 1824. He came to Atkinson in the year 1857 and has lived continuously in this community. He farmed some years, north of Atkinson, then for eight years he operated the Burrall farm, when he purchased the 240 acres which continued his home for thirty years until his removal to Atkinson village about eleven years ago.

Mr Doubler was married in Rock Island in the year 1865 to Miss Coletta DeBaene, who survives with ten children after a happy wedded career of fifty years The children are Mrs Cerena Billiet, of Graceville, Minnesota, Henry Doubler of Walnut Grove, Minn., Charles, Frank, Edward and William Doubler and Mrs Emma Van Hyfte, of Annawan, John Doubler, of Atkinson, and Ida Doubler at home.

The funeral services for Mr. Doubler were held in St Anthony's church tuesday morning at 9 o'clock. The Rev. father M F Foley, of Geneseo and Rev. Father Van der Bank of Annawan, assisted in the solemn rites. The solemn Requiem Mass, was sung by the pastor of St. Anthony s curch, Rev. Conrads. The pall bearers were August and Jacob Hoogerwerf, Fred Huys, Jacob De Grove, Peter Goldberg and Alphonse Phillips. The following relatives and friends out town were present at the funeral. Henry Doubler, of Wall Grove, Minn, Mrs. Anthony Billiett,
of Graceville, Minn.; Mr and Mrs; David Minck, Frank Styvaert, John Meersman of Moline, Mr and Mrs Vandemore,

source: The Geneso Republic august 6th 1915

His original name was "De Dobbelaere Leonard" and he was born in Watervliet, not Kaprijke.