"JUDGE HARVEY HARRISON, was born March 7, 1806, in Blount County, east Tennessee. His parents, Joseph and Nancy Harrison, removed to Huntsville, Alabama, when Harvey was six months old, where they remained until he was about nineteen years of age. He married Zilpha, daughter of Hugh and Margaret Bell, of Tennessee. They have had twelve children, ten sons and two daughters. His son, Alfred B., was killed by the falling of a brick store on Holden street, June 19, 1877. His father lived to see his fifth generation, and was eighty-nine years old at the time of his death. Mr. Harrison is one of the old and prominent settlers of this county. He has been county judge, justice of the peace, and in other ways stood before the people. Both himself and wife are members of the C. P. [probably Cumberland Presbyterian] church, having united with the organization fifty-five years ago.
JNO. W. HARRISON, son of Judge Harrison, is a native of this county, and was born February 28, 1838. He spent his youth on his father's farm, receiving a liberal education. When about twenty years of age he spent four or five years traveling over Colorado, Montana and many other western states and territories in search of the shining metal. In 1860 he returned to his old home and engaged in farming, which he followed for four years, after which he conducted a livery stable until May 1880, when he sold out. Mr. H. married in 1860 Miss Eliza C. Ovens, of this county, and native of Tennessee. They have had four children, two of whom are dead. Mr. Harrison is a plain, unassuming gentleman.
"The Huntsman Favorite apple originated here on the old Huntsman farm about one mile west of Fayetteville in 1835. The following incident is related in regard to getting the scions: "At that time the old settlers often went to Lexington to the mill, and would stop at nurseries and orchards in Lafayette county and dig up seedling sprouts to plant. The following old settlers went to the Sni country, on Sni creek, to get young apple trees: Richard Huntsman, Joseph Hobson, Wm. Trapp, Robt. Graham, James Borthick, George McMahan, and Wm. McMahan. The distance was about forty-five miles away. They returned with a large lot of scions and from the bunch of sprouts put out by Richard Huntsman came the huntsman Favorite apple, so highly prized in our orchards of today. Uncle Joe Harrison, as he was called, said he was too old to plant trees, when invited to go to John Ingram's nursery, in the Sni Hills, for trees. Many of these men lived to enjoy the "fruit" of their labors, and Uncle Joe Harrison outlived the grater part of them and to eat apples from Judge Wm. McMahan's orchard, which grew from the scions of the "old famous Hunstman tree" in Richard Huntsman's orchard."
"HAZEL HILL settlement was made about 1830. Judge Harvey Harrison came here March 21, 1831, and settled on the head of Walnut creek. The place is now owned by Mr. Powers; the old brick building is still standing and was the second in the county. N. Houx, of Columbus settlement put up first. Judge Harrison was one of the leading men of his neighborhood. He was born March 7, 1806 in Tennessee, of Dutch-Irish ancestry. He emigrated to Alabama, near Huntsville, before the town was laid out. There he married Zilpha Bell, of Irish-Scotch extraction, November 28, 1824, and came to Missouri. He was justice of the peace in his settlement twelve years, and served four years as county judge. Among the old settlers worthy of notice are, Wm. McMahan, George McMahan, Richard Huntsman, Joshua Adams, James M. Smith, Joel Walker, Greenell Brown, James Borthick, George Hoffman, Thomas Bradford, Wm. Trapp, Joseph Harrison, Robert Graham and William Stockton.
"The cemeteries of the township will be briefly noticed here. The pioneers often buried their relatives on their own farms and this accounts for the scattering of graveyards. Liberty cemetery is in section 24, on the Warrensburg and Fayetteville road and has been a burying place for many years. The Liberty school house stands close by on the south. Harrison cemetery is in section 21. Thos. B. Harrison was the first one buried here. It was about 1844. The land is owned by J. W. Stayer of Kansas City. Hobson cemetery is the southeast corner of section 15. Mrs. Elizabeth Brooks was the first person interred. Now there are upwards of one hundred graves......"