Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

The Harrison Family Discussion List

RE: The online database dilema?

I suppose you could post information stating that no genealogy information
is valid except authenticated source material, but that's something that is
(or should be) pounded into every genealogist every day.

I would rather see even a questionable database kept on-line because it can
provide so many clues. And after all, that's what even census information
is: a clue based on the database information taken by someone with
questionable spelling, questionable handwriting, even a questionable
interest in certain races, religions, etc. It's a CLUE toward source
information ... a part of the journey, not the destination. As an example,
my grandfather is shown as being 10 years old in the 1900 Wisconsin census,
even though I have several documents showing that he was born in 1899. The
census taker clearly added a zero for some mysterious reason. Another
example, my great-grandmother was a bit vain. She fudged her age by five
years and even changed the spelling of her middle name because she thought
it was prettier.

Actually, now that I think of it, even source documents are suspect. My
mother, who was adopted by her grandmother (it's a long story) finally
received her birth certificate from Washington State after 25 years of
requests. Her grandmother is shown as the birth mother!

In short, it's a business of clues. If you withdraw yours from the Internet
you will be doing all of us a great disservice, and will also be cheating
yourself out of clues from other researchers. My suggestion: keep it posted
and do your best.

Kim Day
Boise

The Harrison Genealogy Repository http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~harrisonrep

Back to Becky Bonner\'s Harrison Home Page
© 1996 Josephine Bass and Becky Bonner. All rights reserved.
ListMail Owner Becky Bass Bonner: bbbonner@cox.net