is a small town in eastern North Carolina where the Harrell families settled very early. A post
office was established there in 1827 when the place was known as Bethel with John G. Wilson being
appointed Postmaster. In 1833 Abner Harrell became post master in the town and remained in that
post until 1861. Because there was another community in Pitt County named Bethel, the name of the
post office and town was changed to Harrellsville in honor of the postmaster, Abner Harrell, in
Abner Harrell was a Justice of The Peace in Hertford County by 1830.
He died May 10, 1865 and was buried in the family cemetery near the Harrell home place in
Photos and Information furnished by Ken Gates a descendent of Abner Harrell