Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   



 Hampton, Connecticut Gen Web 


         The town of Hampton is located in northeast Connecticut on lands originally shared by
         Pomfret and Windham. It was incorporated from the towns of Pomfret, Brooklyn,
         Canterbury, Mansfield, and Windham in 1786. Hampton is a small rural farming
         community that has managed to preserve its past. The Congregational Church is
         the second oldest building in the state, with portions of the structure dating from 1754.
         Also preserved is "The House the Women Built", a two story building raised in 1776 by
         the Sally Bowers and other young women of the town while the men fought in the
         Continental Army. At Clark's Corner there is also a liberty pole dating from 1849.
         Erected by a resident named Jonathan Clark, it records the distance to Hartford and
         intervening towns via the stagecoach of the time.





Cover of "Discovering Hampton" by Janice Trecker
Main Street, Hampton by local artist Andy Jones



Vital Records Marriages 1790 census Surnames Cemeteries
Resources Book Links Queries Lookups
LDS Films Tidbits


Visit Hampton's neighboring towns
Chaplin      Scotland      Canterbury    Brooklyn


This site is maintained by Deb Inman

 with questions or contributions


Back to Windham County Gen Web