The lineages of the people mentioned here are on our RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project Site
Justus Munn has been an enigma in that we cannot find out who his parents were and know little about him.
He apparently was born about 1750 in Connecticut but we have been unable to find birth or baptism / christening records to support this.
We have a collection of bits of informaton including three marriages for a Justus Munn -- but it is possible there were three different people of that name.
There are also a lot of conflicting genealogies for him. We have chosen to assume there was only one man with three wives as the dates work out.
We invite anyone who may have supporting or dissenting information to contact us.
- October 17, 1771, married Mercy Dunham in Sharon, Litchfield, Connecticut
- April 15, 1777 or 1778, enlisted in 2nd Regiment, Light Dragoons, Continental Troops under Colonel Elisha Sheldon.
- Copied from Rolls: Justus Mun, Date of enlistment April, 1777, Corporal Dec. 1, 1778, reduced Oct. 22, 1781
- Copied from Size Roll (undated): Justice Munn, Private, 3rd Troop, time of enlistment April 15, 1778, Pronoted Corporal Oct. 1778, Term of service D. W. [duration of war], State: Connecticut, Town Sharon, Trade Weaver, Stature 5 feet, 8 inches, complexion light, eyes dark, hair dark, reduced to the ranks.
- From a return of recruits in Captain Stoddard's troup, undated, Justus Munn, state Connecticut, Town Sharon, term of enlistment: during the war.
- Justus Munn, Pvt., appears on a roll of 3rd Troop, Capt. Jeronemus Hoogland, 2nd Regiment Light Dragoons
- On a list of orders received for 1782 and 1783, Justus Munn to Tallmadge & Co -- the whole [Benjamin Tallmadge was a Major, 2nd Regiment, Light Dragoons]
- On a list of orders received for 1782 and 1783, Charles Buzzet (sp.?) to Justus Munn to be paid to Lewis Hart (sp.?) 2 years pay
- Jan. 8, 1783, Justis Munn appears on a Return of the number of men belonging to 3rd Troop, 2nd Regiment, Light Dragoons for shirts and stockings
- Justus Munn was mentioned in Jared Tozer's Declaration for Pension, which is available in its entirety at http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=surnames.tozer&m=148 in a message by Sharon McMahon, Date: 12 Feb 1999.
The relevant excerpt: "That on the 1st day of February and (AD?)1781 he again entered the service of the United States, that he was enlisted in that part of the town of Simsbury now called Granby by Justus Munn a Corporal in the company of troop commanded by Captain Hoogland, and that he enlisted during the war and joined the company at Hadley, Massachusetts, that there were four companies of horse and two of foot that belonged to the regiment to in which he served and was commanded by Col. Elisha Sheldon of Simsbury, Conn. and one Jimmason from Virginia was Lieutenant Colonel and Benjamin Talmage then of Smithtown, Long Island but recently of Litchfield, Connecticut was Major. Jedediah Rogers of New Haven, Ct. who was a Lieutenant of one of the companies and also acted as adjutant of the Regt. and Thomas Coney was Sergeant Major of the Regt. that at Hadley, Massachusetts he was transferred to a company of foot belonging to the Same regiment and commanded by Capt David Edgar of Woodbridge, New Jersey and Gideon Holley of New Haven, Connecticut was Lieutenant in said company."
- About 1781, married Esther Merriman in East Granby, Hartford County, Connecticut (we think -- at least they had two children)
- December 2, 1781, Catherine Munn was born in Granby Township, Hartford County, Connecticut. She died 1842 in Stockdale, Ontario, Canada
- March 29, 1785, John G. Munn was born in Granby Township, Hartford County, Connecticut.
- March 4, 1793: Justus Munn, Private, began receiving pension payments of $30.00 per year. This is from the 1835 list of Commecticut Pensioners. This list notes that he received a total of $414.50 and died January 27, 1807.
- Jan 28, 1790, Bounty Land Warrant Record Card #6225 for Munn, Justice (Justus), Private from Sheldon's Dragoons (Connecticut)
- March 13, 1800, married Dorcas Allen, Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut
- October 2, 1803, Justus Allen Munn was christened in Windsor, Hardford, Connecticut. He married Martha Wortendyke April 3, 1828 at the Madison Avenue Dutch Reformed Church, New York, New York.
|Don and Jeanne Ross