Search billions of records on

DAIRYVILLE by Annette Goodwin December 20, 2000

My husband, Clarence, has fond memories of Dairyville. Sunday dinners with all the family gathered round. The smell of Grandma Grissom’s yeasty dinner rolls cooked in her wood stove. Handcranked ice cream that he sometimes helped to make. Sometimes Grandpa Grissom would taking him fishing. He remembers Grandma selling chicken eggs. She had lots of chickens. He’s told stories of helping out at harvest time. They had a large variety of fruit trees, such as quince, apple, peach, plums. They also grew almonds. The Grissoms sold some of the products they raised to have enough money to buy what they couldn’t raise or make. Grandma made her own soap and the laundry was done in a kettle over an open fire. They didn’t have indoor plumbing when Clarence was a youngster. Great Grandma Curtis had her own bedroom. Most of the Grissoms slept on the sleeping porch.

The Dairyville highway sign on Highway 99 in 1996 said that 190 people lived here.

The following is a transcription of a copy of a term paper that I found in the Tehama Public Library in Red Bluff, CA. Only portions of Nancy Long's term paper are included in this transcription. The following families are included: Grissom, Ruby, Eckels, Gridley, and Langston. Bibliography, Pictures, Map Legend, Maps and School bus newspaper clipping are not included in this document. Footnotes (*) are listed after “The River Rambler”.

by Nancy Long
for Mr. Andrew Osborne, United States History, Period 3
Red Bluff Union High School
May 26, 1978

I. Table of Contents
II. Introduction
III. Individual Family Reports
A. George Spanfelner Family
B. John Hofhenke Family
C. Ulysses Grissom Family
D. Walter Lee Family
E. Willis Ruby Family
F. William Hopkins Family
G. Joseph Eaton Family
H. Henry Kuse Family
I. Ernest Eckels Family
J. Gilbert Jack Family
K. Richard Morehouse Family
L. Arlet Gridley Family
M. Bernard Micke Family
N. Ray Maxey Family
O. Walter Barton Family
P. Galen Harmon Family
Q. Robert Langston Family
R. Jim Richelieu Family
S. William Stewart Family
T. Charles Tolley Family
U. Ollie Arrowsmith Family
V. Fay Barstow Family
W. Earl Lindauer, Sr. Family
X. Albert Allmendinger Family
Y. Herman Koepp Family
Z. Jay Bunting Family
IV. Conclusions
V. Bibliography
VI. Pictures
VII. Map Legend
VIII. Maps
IX. School bus newspaper clipping
X. "I Say...." by Dave Minch
XI. "River Rambler" newspaper clipping
XII. Footnotes


Driving southeast on Highway 99E one comes to New Creek, the northern boundary of "The Colony". It extended from there to Los Molinos and basically from the foothills to the Sacramento River.

The Colony, which includes the townsite of Dairyville, was just getting settled during the period of 1910 and 1926. The Los Molinos Land Company had published a brochure, which is included in this report, and was advertising this area in all parts of the country.

Many settlers came and purchased property and remained in The Colony for their entire lifetime. Their children were raised here. Some remained and raised their family here in the same location and, of course, some moved elsewhere.

The Lassen View School District has had many children many children of three generations of the same families. In the 1977 graduating class six of the graduates had parents who graduated from a school in this district. Likewise, some had grandparents who attended one of the Cone schools. Some of the children now attending Lassen View live in their great-grandparent's house. In one case the great-great grandmother also lived in the house.

In this report many of those "old timers" are described including the reasons they settled here, what they did for their livelihood and where they lived.

Three big events stand out in this period of time. The eruption of Mount Lassen in 1914; the flood of 1915; and the school bus tragedy in 1921. I have included a newspaper clipping for more detail on it.

A group of Mennonites who wanted to settle in The Colony caused the townsite of Dairyville to be divided into streets and lots. I have included a map showing the location of the townsite and another map showing the actual division of the townsite.

The Cheese Factory, which existed for a short time beginning in 1914 and the hope that the Northern Electric Railroad would go through, caused considerable optimism for a real community of Dairyville. When the railroad failed to materialize, the Cheese Factory folded. Thus Dairyville never really became a town like the maps show. In the meantime houses had been built facing designated streets that to this day have never been put in.

As is true of almost all communities there are the “old timers”. To qualify for this title in The Colony one had to come around the period of time discussed in this report. Old-timers and some newcomers still refer to many of the places by their original names.

Included in the report are some of the many families from all over the United States who chose to settle in The Colony in hopes that they might really succeed in farming in California.

In my conclusion which follows the individual family reports, I will compare life in The Colony then and now.

Now let me introduce you to some of the families of' The Colony between 1909 and 1926.


Sherman, Texas, was the home of Ulysses and Margaret Grissom. There Cora, Maren, Jesse, and Lee were born between 1903 and 1909. Ulysses, known as Uly, was in the dairy business at that time. Relatives in Crow's landing, California, invited them to come to California. They packed up everything and headed west and settled at Crow's Landing. While they lived there, Lucy, Glenn and Benny (Transcriber’s note: Glenn and Benny are Glenn whose middle name is Bennet and his aka is Benny.) were born.(21)

Uly's employer at Crow's Landing was going to take a trip to northern California and asked if Uly would like to join him. Uly visited the Dairyville area on his tour and fell in love with it. He bought twenty-five acres on the south side of Butler Slough. When Benny was only two weeks old, the family of eight moved to Dairyville in 1912.(22)

The first house they lived in is still near the highway on Kansas Avenue. The area was grassy fields spotted with oaks. Mrs. Grissom recalls the first few months of living in Dairyville when all she saw was an occasional sheepherder herding his flock. With twenty-five milking cows, Cora and her brother, Marvin (Transcriber’s Note: This must be Maren.), and her father, Uly, stayed in the dairy business another year and a half. Then Uly went to work for the newly started Los Molinos Water Company. They sold all but a few cows and built another house up the road under a big oak tree.(23)

In 1913 Grandma and Grandpa Grissom moved to Dairyville in a house just north of Butler Slough. That Christmas was one not forgotten by any of the family. Margie was a baby and the rest of the family went to the grandparents for dinner. The meal was over and Lucy at age four was leaving the table and taking a few steps to the door when she fell to the floor and it became evident that she had polio. It was the last time that she ever walked. They took her to Red Bluff to see the doctor and he said that he didn't know how to treat her and all the family could do was to keep her bathed.(24)

On the other end of Kansas Avenue a family by the name of Jones moved in. By this time Grissoms had put up a mail box and it said “U. B. Grissom”. The Jones’ mailbox read “I. B. Jones”. Still today the Grissoms get a kick out of the mailboxes together. “U. B. Grissom, I. B. Jones.”(25)

Not long after Margie in 1913 came Marvin. On Sundays the family would ride by wagon or walk two miles or so to the Cone School located on Sixty-fifth Avenue and 99E. When they walked, Lucy was pulled in a little wagon. She had quite a time with people. Her polio had crippled her legs and for about two or three years Mrs. Grissom was the only one able to touch her. If anyone else would come near, she would start screaming.(26)

Cora, Maren, Jesse and Lee all graduated from Cone II School back on Kaufman Avenue. Lucy, Benny, Margie, Marvin, and Mervin graduated from the Los Robles Elementary School. All went to high school but the four older ones didn't graduate.(27)

Uly had worked himself up to the position of Ditch Boss and with his good pay the family moved again. By this time Cora was married to Sam Goodwin from two miles up the road in a house on the corner of Bray and 99E. The Grissom family moved to a fifteen acre place north of Oklahoma Avenue and planted prunes. Their barn which is back off the highway is still standing.(28)

Mrs. Grissom remembers coming home with Jesse from the store and Topsy, the mule, got scared by a loose hog and took off with Marvin, who was a baby at the time, and her. What a trip! Topsy was a mule bought for Lucy and her wagon to get to school. In 1915 a family by the name of Gridleys bought the store and moved in two doors down. Around 1922 Mrs. Gridley's mother-in-law did a lot for Lucy who was thirteen by now. She worked with Lucy rubbing her legs with oils and warm water. She also taught her to play the organ. Another family on Perry Avenue named Carnpbells also had a girl who had polio. They sent her to New York and other cities for operations but after some time, she died. Today Lucy lives on Monroe Street in Red Bluff and has feeling in one leg. Grandma Gridley also taught Lucy to walk on crutches.(29)

Mrs. Grissom never really learned to drive but the three times she had to get to town, she made it there and back safely They bought a car in 1921.(30)

Cora belonged to the “Anti-Can't” Sunday School class taught by Mattie Bishop at Cone Methodist Church and lost three classmates in the tragic bus accident in 1921.(31)

Uly died in 1960. Today Margaret, 94 years old, lives at 935 Johnson Street by herself. Cora Goodwin, Lee Grissom, Lucy Pittman, Margie Eckels and Benny Grissom all live in the Red Bluff area. Marvin (Transcriber’s note: This should be Lee.) Grissom became a famous pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds and has also retired in the Red Bluff area. Maren Grissom was killed in Alaska and Mervin was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1939 on the way to the Sacramento State Fair and died in Willows. Jesse Davis died in May, 1970.(32)

Margie has a granddaughter, Sarah Stillwell, who goes to Lassen View School, another family of three generations in this school district.


Willis Tilford Ruby worked with his father in Iowa selling furniture and caskets. W. T. married Ella Miller and homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres in Oklahoma. There they raised cotton but insects were so bad that they gave up. W. T. ran for senator for Oklahoma and won.(39)

The family was comprised of five children including Mable, Cecil, Lottie, Harold and Mark. Mable married a man by the name of Black and moved to Gridley, California. She lived there for two years and liked it so much that she suggested that the whole family move out to California .(40)

W. T. didn’t finish his term. Instead he came to Dairyville in 1913 and bought a home on Oklahoma Avenue and also the Dairyville store. He ran the store for two years and then he retired. Cecil, Lottie, Mark and Harold spent some time in Dairyville.(41)

Ella died in 1935 and W. T. in 1941. Today Mable, 90, Cecil Huston, 86, and Harold, 78, live in Sacramento. Lottie Grissom, 8l, lives in Citrus Heights. Mark died when he was only twenty-seven from food poisoning when he lived in Oroville.(42)

The house in which they lived in Dairyville faces a street that was never put in; thus almost everyone enters through the back door that faces a driveway that goes to Oklahoma Avenue. W. T. put a very unusual octagonal shaped porch on the front of the house. It was made entirely of cement and had spokes going out on the ceiling. However, he had little or no footing under the porch and the heavy weight of the porch began tugging at the house. In 1970 my parents removed the porch and added a living room. As you can tell this is the house in which I live.


Dave and Hazel Jones talked Ernest and Pearl Eckels in to moving from Mott, North Dakota, to Dairyville. The land they bought was twenty acres on Schafer Avenue.

The Eckel's children were Fern, Alvera, Wilson and Paul. With help from his Uncle Wilbur, Ernest planted peaches. This was in 1914, the same year that they saw Mount Lassen erupt.(56)

"Grandma was at the slough praying when she came running to the house scared to death. She thought the world had come to an end," according to Fern Harmon. Fern described the day as a queer one. It was hot but something was different and Mount Lassen proved to make it different.(57)

Fern was the only Eckels’ child who went to school at Cone II which is now the Grange Hall on Sixty-eighth Avenue. The Citrus Farm headquarters were at the end of Sixty-eighth Avenue.(58)

Fern remembers another day when her kitten saved her life. Earlier in the day her Grandma killed a rattlesnake. As Fern was playing with her sister on the merry-go-round, she Jumped over her kitten. In a few minutes she heard it crying not too far away and saw it fighting another large rattlesnake which was headed for the playing area.(59)

The family lived here only one year and returned to Illinois. In 1925 they returned to California and in 1932 moved back to Dairyville.(60)

Fern married Ruben Harmon from Dairyville and lives in Red Bluff. Alvera Walker also resides in Red Bluff. Wilson is a teacher in Alaska and Paul is Curriculum Coordinator in the Mount Diablo District of Walnut Creek. Both Ernest and Pearl are still alive and live in a rest home in Red Bluff. Ernest is 92 and Pearl is 89. She had the honor of being invited to President Carter's inauguration in 1976 after having written a note to him.(61)


The Dairyville Store was owned and operated by the Ruby family until 1915 when Arlet Clone Gridley bought it. Coming from Siskiyou County with Arlet and Beulah were Arlet's parents. The family took over the business and in that same year their eldest boy, Carroll Gridley, was born in the store.(81)

In addition to the store in Dairyville, was a cheese factory operated by the Parozzi family and a blacksmith shop operated by Gilbert Jack.(82)

In 1918 the community decided to build a church and Mr. Gridley tried to be influential on locating it by the store. He said he would donate two thousand dollars for the building if it were to be built in the Dairyville section and one thousand dollars if it were built on the south of the store. Cone Church was built and Mr. Gridley paid only the thousand.(83)

The store at that time was a big two-story building in which the bottom half was where all the selling took place. The top half was an open room where dances were held, voting took place and later the first movies were shown. The store had a phone for which they paid one and a half dollars a month.(84)

The Gridleys sold the store and started the first prune orchard in The Colony. Grandpa Gridley also started the first apiary.(85)

Two more children were born, a daughter, Zesta and another daughter, Arla. All three children attended Los Robles School for eight years.(86)

Mr. Henry Kuse, a prominent man of the community and board member of the Los Robles School let the older grades over to his house to hear Hoover's Inauguration Speech over Kuse's radio.(87)

Zesta loved to read and was delighted when Hartleys built a small library close to the store.(88)

Arlet died in 1922 and left his wife with three children. They lived in a house on Jersey Avenue. In 1927 Beulah broke her back in three places and was an invalid for the rest of her life. They attended the Cone Church and were assisted by the church women after their Mother became an invalid.(89)

Beulah died in 1955. Carroll and his sister, Zesta, and her husband, Nelson Butler operate a heating and cooling business in Red Bluff and Arla Farmer works for the
ambulance service in Red Bluff and also for her husband, Zack Farmer, a local real estate man.(90)


San Antonio, Texas, was the home of Robert and Cynthia Langston. In 1920 the family including Robert, Cynthia and their children Cecil, Lenora and Marvin moved to Grants Pass, Oregon. They traveled on the plank roads across the desert in a nine passenger car. They lived in Grants Pass for one year and decided to return to San Antonio. On the way back to Texas they stopped by Dairyville to visit some friends.(112)

Mrs. Langston had never seen a more beautiful place. She called Dairyville the "Garden Spot”. As the family started once again across the plank roads at Palm Springs, Mrs. Langston started crying and asked to be taken back to Dairyville, her “garden spot”.(113)

They came to Dairyville and bought forty acres along Highway 99E and Oklahoma Avenue on the east side. The acreage was filled with oaks and open fields so they planted alfalfa. The first house they built was a distance behind the present Lassen View Fire Department building. The family then bought a building from the town of Kenit, which was located at what is now the bottom of Shasta Lake. Using the lumber from this building they built a house on the corner of 99E and Oklahoma Avenue.(114) (See Plate VI.)

Robert was not that interested in farming so he joined the Red Bluff Oil Company and worked there until he was seventy-five. Cynthia got started with a few chickens and in no time at all, she had about one thousand chickens. Besides raising her family she was kept extremely busy with her poultry.(115)

School brought lots of surprises. Los Robles was the school Cecil, Lenora and Marvin attended. It was in about the fifth grade when Marvin Langston and Marvin Grissom could not stand hearing their name called so much so the boys had a coin toss and Marvin Langston lost. Thus, he was given the name of Dick.(116)

Sundays were great days for the Langstons. Many times they'd go for a picnic on Antelope Creek on Hogsback or watch an amateur boxing match at Courtland Park near the present Lassen View School. Ellis Smith is one who is remembered for fighting all the time. The boxing ring was also used for an open air dance floor.(117)

Robert died in 1969 and Cynthia in March, l978. She had remained in the same house all these years and lived alone since her husband died. Today Dick Langston lives next door to his Mother’s house in Dairyville after having retired. His sister, Lenora Locke, resides in Santa Rosa and their older brother, Cecil, changed his name to Eddie and lives in Winchester Bay, Oregon.(118)


Having interviewed many descendants of early settlers, I have come to some conclusions about life in the early years of The Colony.

The reasons why people came here were many. Some were looking for new land to farm, some just couldn't go anywhere else, some loved the area for its beautiful abundance and others were escaping bad health situations. All in all, these folks came from all over, settled, and began a new life here.

The main source of income was from farming alfalfa and a few dairy cows which later turned into farming prunes, almonds and peaches around l9l8. Everyone farmed with a few exceptions of those who provided community business. The average size of a parcel of land was twenty acres and most people spend many years paying off their land.

Spare time for children was spent reading, swimming, working or in school. As the children got older added things to do included dances held upstairs above the Dairy-
ville Store, down at Courtland Park or at Idylwild Dance Hall.

Schooling was a secondary thing to farming the land. A few children didn't attend school past the eighth grade because they were needed at home to help with the farms. Since The Colony was such a large area, schools were located every three or four miles in central locations. No distinct boundary existed between Red Bluff High School and Los Molinos High school so many students were "up for grabs".

The church was the center of most family social activities. It was a place to come together and enjoy each other's company in addition to worshipping God. Mrs. Mattie Bishop was a woman mentioned by a lot of people as a person who helped start the church and also helped to shape the lives of many of the young people.

Today The Colony is still very much in agriculture but only a few farm all the productive orchards. A few farm very small acreage, some medium sized ranches and finally a few large acreage which are comprised of combining many of the small parcels that existed thirty or forty years ago.

One type of farmer is the small five-acre farmer or "hobby farmer". These men have their orchards as a second occupation. Examples of this type of farming are Jerry Kvarda, a highway patrolman who raises almonds, and Harmon Wright, a retired government employee who raises walnuts. They and a few others hire people to spray and harvest their crops; otherwise, they do all the other work that needs to be done.

Some farm because they have inherited the land and are able to farm smaller acreage ranging from thirty to forty acres because they do not have land payments or high interest to pay. The Hofhenke brothers are a good example of this category of farmer.

Larry Thompson is one of a handful who bought small adjoining parcels to make larger ones. He bought three small parcels making sixty acres in one acreage and another forty acres down the road. He has relied on his own family and a few employees to help to do the work, especially during harvest. Original houses on these properties are now rentals and provide additional income.(158)

Last we have the agribusinessman who farms his own land, leases land or manages additional land. In addition, some do custom or commercial work with their machines to supplement their income. Today’s equipment has made it possible to cover several miles and to farm parcels here and there. Most acreage is farmed this way.

Ken Lindauer manages five parcels totaling three hundred and seven acres for a partnership from Texas and three hundred and fifty on the west side of the river which belongs to his family.(159)

Frank Spanfelner, Jr., owns two hundred and fifty acres, leases one hundred and eighty acres and manages one hundred and sixty acres.(160)

Dudley Long has bought nine parcels, leases two in The Colony and bought one parcel on the west side of the river for a total of two hundred and forty-five owned and forty leased. A big percentage of his gross income is derived from commercial work, primarily harvesting, hulling and drying walnuts.(161)

One acre parcels are quite common in The Colony at the present time. Many people reside on these and work in town. Some occupations include teachers, ranch-hands, probation officers, Red Bluff businessmen, contractors, highway patrolmen, accountants, county employees, office workers, medical persons and a multitude of others.

The other kind of people who make up the Colony area are retired persons mainly from Southern California or the Bay Area. These people are willing to pay unusually high prices to be able to live in the area where the soil is tremendous for gardening and the weather is warm and pleasant.

In the area from Patterson Avenue on the north; Muller Avenue on the west; Craig Avenue on the east; and Oklahoma Avenue on the south, approximately one hundred and fifty-one families reside. This excludes the Bucher Rentals on Oklahoma Avenue, the Sanford Court rentals on 99E, the Hillditch Rentals on 99E and Bow River Trailer Park on Parey Avenue. Of those one hundred and fifty-one families approximately twelve farm; forty-five are retired and ninety-four have jobs outside the area.(162)

Social life in The Colony now includes swimming in the Boy Scout Hall pool and in own private pools. Some good holes in the sloughs remain, like the one on the Lester Scott property in Butler Slough, but few people use them. Most people turn to activities that Red Bluff offers such as athletic teams, movies, etc.

In the Dairyville area the Dairyville Community Club provides a varied number of activities for people of all ages. The club was reorganized around l968. The clubhouse had been donated in the forties by the Bill French family and put on land donated by the Conways with the stipulation that the taxes must always be kept up. Since the reorganization, many improvements have been made to the building. The clubhouse is where bridge and pinochle parties are held and various other community activities such as TOPS, Young Homemakers, etc. The club also organizes many other activities such as membership potlucks, pie socials, a flea market, fashion shows, Christmas parties, and the traditional Pancake Breakfast served outdoors in the yard around the clubhouse.

The church is not as much the focal place for people anymore. The Cone Church still has church every Sunday conducted by the minister of the Red Bluff Methodist Church. About twenty local families make up the church membership. the biggest percentage of people go to church in Red Bluff. Transportation has changed for the better of man, making it easy for him to attend events some distance away, but it is also worse for our environment.

Communication throughout The Colony has improved from the first few phones to families having one or more phones in each house. There are also a variety of newspapers offered to the people which are delivered by carrier including the Sacramento Bee, the San Francisco Chronicle and the Red Bluff Daily News. Other papers and magazines are received by mail.

The Lassen View Volunteer Fire Department, a branch of the California State Forestry, helps provide fire protection and emergency medical treatment until additional aid arrives from the county facilities. The small department is made of a chief, Dudley Long at the present time, and ten volunteers.

Today The Colony has one elementary school with grades kindergarten through the eighth grade. Lassen View offers the study of the basic skills in reading, writing, and arithmetic plus extra classes in music and after school involvement in sports. According to Jim Curry, Sr., at the Red Bluff High School, “Lassen View is one of the top feeder schools into Red Bluff High."

Time has come and gone but life still goes on in the community of Dairyville and in all of “The Colony”. Good times and bad times have come their way but with the involvement of each person and the neighborly attitude which still exists, life is just a bit easier for those who choose to live in "The Colony”.

I SAY. . .

by Dave Minch
Red Bluff Daily News
Tuesday, December 9, l958

The morning of November 30, 1921, in the Dairyville (Los Robles) community started uneventfully as the children waited by the roadside for the school bus to arrive from Red Bluff and transport them to its high school by way of Los Molinos, Tehama, and Proberta.

The community was made up of farmers who had arrived & few years before, built their modest homes and started developing their rich ground. Most of these pioneers were 30 to 40 years old and had school age children who helped their parents on these small farms and orchards.

On this particular morning the old dilapidated school bus, No. 17, with a 16 yr. old boy as a driver, began picking up children at the regular time. Fate had decided that disaster was to overtake this bus but peculiarly some of the children were to be spared. No Bible story tells us of a more unusual way that certain ones were spared than the following. As the bus approached Los Molinos one of the boys named Elmer Deschamps became sick for no apparent reason and was taken off the bus and sent home. The bus was not running very well and the driver phoned the High School and told them about it. As a result another bus was sent out to overtake the first one and transfer the children.

A few miles further the bus stopped completely and while the driver was repairing it so it would run again the Boggs brothers and the Glaspey boy got out of the bus and watched the driver working on the timing. At that exact moment a car came along this seldom traveled road and the boys climbed into it and went on to school, thus saving their lives. As the bus started up, the relief school bus from Red Bluff overtook the crippled bus and offered to transfer the remaining 15 children to their bus. The decision that sealed the children’s fate was that they would stay in the bus in which they had started.

The morning had become foggy and with headlights turned on had lost considerable time. As they approached the railroad crossing at Proberta, the children were chatting, singing and studying their lessons. Their bus had detachable side curtains instead of windows in the front of it. They were almost impossible to see through as there was very little glass in them. The relief bus passed over the tracks and just as it reached the highway a hundred feet away they heard a crash. Southbound S. P. Train No. 15 was rushing toward
Gerber at about 50 miles per hour. The bus got just far enough on the track for the fast moving engine to crush it longways between the engine and a huge cement semaphore which stood 5 feet away. The bus was now only a five foot high pile of kindling wood. The driver of the other bus saw a scene that could only be imagined while experiencing a terrible nightmare. Fifteen children were scattered along 300 feet of the railroad right of way. A phone call was made to Dairyville telling the parents to come quickly as the children they had bid goodbye a short time before had been in a terrible accident.

In the meantime five children were found who were still breathing and these were rushed to the hospital in Red Bluff by private car and by special train. No one knew who were taken to the hospital only that some were still alive. The most terrible part of the ordeal was the frantic parents searching for clothing that they could identify on arms, legs and pieces of children hoping against hope that they would not find any and that it had been their child who had been sent to the hospital. Blanche Jack of our County Library had both a brother and a sister among those who did go to the hospital.

One mother after searching could not find her boy and started for the hospital sure he must be there. A few moments after she left, what was left of the boy was found
under the engine. One boy’s parents found him and as he was to be transferred to a stretcher he asked to be allowed to pray and not be moved. As he finished his prayer, he died.

The five families who had children in the hospital were due for more suffering. Some children lingered for a few hours; one girl lived 36 hours without regaining consciousness. Marion Day came through the accident unscarred except for a little splinter of wood protruding through her blond hair. The doctors told her parents she could not recover with the splinter in her head and almost surely she would not survive an operation. The next day they operated and added another one to the increasing number of fatalities. The second day there was only one girl, Opal McNaughton, still surviving and she had a compound fracture of both legs and pelvis.

The whole countryside was stunned; business in Red Bluff practically stopped; people talked on the streets in hushed tones; school was dismissed for the remainder of the week.

The funeral of the fourteen children was held from the High School Auditorium; the burial at Oak Hill Cemetery where twelve were laid side by side and the other two close by.

Opal McNaughton recovered after several operations and over a year in different hospitals, married and as Mrs. Jamison raised a son and daughter near Los Molinos.

The whole tragedy depended on so many occurrences that had to happen at exact times. The bus breaking down and losing the exact time so that it would arrive to meet the train at the exact second that would cause the wreck. The deliverance of four boys and one girl who had started out in the ill fated bus Seemed miraculous.

However, they did not die in vain, as a result of the news of the accident being printed all over the world State Legislatures passed many Safety Laws for school busses. Among them only adults can drive vehicles transporting school children. School buses must be maintained in good condition. They must completely stop before crossing all railroad tracks. All traffic must stop when buses are loading or unloading children. Until as a result of these fourteen children losing their lives possibly thousands of children's lives have been saved. It is possible that today there is no safer transportation than the yellow school buses.

from “The River Rambler"
June 21, 1913

The first intimation that a town was to be built where Dairyville now stands was a year and a half ago, when a Mennonite Colony proposed to locate there and asked that a townsite of forty acres be platted.

The first name given this little hamlet was Dairy, but it was soon discovered that there already was an established town in California called Dairy, so the name was changed to Dairyville

If this whole country were new again and you were to select a practical location for a thrifty little city, you probably would not go far from the Sacramento River, and you would find that Nature has done all that you could ask to make the region around Dairyville uncommonly attractive.

The next lucky fact is, that the right kind of men had begun the development. Begun is the right word, for, as much as has been accomplished, the work has hardly started.

There are many trips in the county that have their moments of pleasure but a trip along the Sacramento River has no moments that are not filled with the beauty and novelty. With all the development of recent years, there still is the wide, wild freedom of the West; and it must ever remain so. Every town along the banks of the Sacramento River seems to have been located with an eye to the scenic beauty.

In the recent history of the Los Molinos Colony, one fact stands out vividly; the day of speculation and experiment has passed away, substantial business progress based on plans of permanency has succeeded it. New generations are coming upon the state, new enterprises are being opened up through adaptation of new farming methods to the existing conditions. It is an unending procession of home-seeking and home-building.

In this colony one finds a curious arrangement of classes. the towns and the ten and twenty acre farms are settled by men from nearly every State in the Union. Besides the old frontier characters are found the mildest of tenderfoots, the most polished college graduate and the shrewdest business man.

It would be difficult to secure a correct impression of this hamlet without driving out to some of the prosperous farms and dairy herds. One soon forms the impression that their chief industry is the growing of alfalfa, and marketing it in the form of butter-fat at the nearest creamery. It is quite plain that a large share of the farmers income comes
from this source.

The up-to-date and scientific farmer finds that the capital necessary and the knowledge required to properly care for and breed fine animals, to grow products and look after them is too much for one individual. As a consequence, he specializes and limits his activities, and endeavors to get his neighbors to do the same. His supreme object is to grow a few articles well. The modern farmer has come to realize that specialization is the foundation of industrial development, and that organization is the means by which it is carried forward. The old farmer may oppose the idea of organization if he sees fit, but the knowledge, use, economics and united efforts are such that if he would attain financial success he will be compelled to adopt the principles worked out and used by special industries.

The village of Dairyville is well located. Travel out in any direction and you will find a fertile country well settled with intelligent, progressive people. The large general store owned and operated by LaSalle and Peaslee is the center of attraction. Their building is 24 x 64 feet, two story. This company carried a full line of groceries, flour, feed; also shoes, hardware and John Deere agricultural machinery.

P. R. Ball, who operates a blacksmith shop at Dairyville is employing three men and doing a general repair business; is putting in a Fairbanks platform scales for the accommodation of the farmers and hay dealers.

The school building is mission in style, and has two rooms, being one of the best country school buildings in the county. As a social and religious center Dairyville stands well to the front.

The morals of this community are on a level with its intelligence. All in all, there is no better place to live and as the advantages of this little village rest upon a permanent basis, the future of Dairyville is bright with promise.

21 Margaret Grissom, Interview, April 22, l978.
22 Ibid.
23 Margaret Grissom, loc. cit.
24 Cora Goodwin, Interview, April 22, l978.
25 Ibid.
26 Margaret Grissom, loc. cit.
27 Cora Goodwin, loc. cit.
28 Margaret Grissom, loc. cit.
29 Cora Goodwin, loc. cit.
30 Margaret Grissom, loc.. cit.
31 Cora Goodwin, loc. cit.
32 Cora Grissom, loc. cit.
33-38 not included
39 Lottie Grissom, Interview, May 6, l978.
40 Mable Black, Interview, May 10, l978.
41 Lottie Grissom, loc. cit.
42 Lottie Grissom, loc. cit.
43-55 not included
56 Fern Harmon, Interview, May 2, l978.
57 Ibid.
58 Ibid.
59 Fern Harmon, loc. cit.
60 Ibid.
61 Ibid.
62-80 not included
81 Zesta Butler, Interview, April 19, l978. Ibid.
82 Ibid.
83 Ibid.
84 Carroll Gridley, Interview, April 19, l978.
86 Arla Farmer, Interview, April 21, l978.
87 Ibid.
88 Zesta Butler, loc. cit.
89 Zesta Butler, loc. cit.
90 Ibid.
91-111 not included
112 Zesta Gridley Butler, Interview, April 19, l978.
113 Ibid.
114 Marvin (Dick) Langston, Interview, April 19, l978.
115 Ibid.
116 Ibid.
1l7 Marvin (Dick) Langston, loc. cit.
118 Ibid.
119-157 not included
158 Terry Thompson, Interview, May 10, l978.
159 Ken Lindauer, Interview, May 12, l978.
160 Frank Spanfelner, Jr., Interview, May 12, l978.
161 Dudley Long, Interview, May 12, l978.
162 Marilyn Long, Interview, May 12, l978.

File Cabinet