COKER FAMILY OF ALABAMA
This website is maintained by Jerry and Sue Appleton
Jerry Appleton passed away on February 2, 2012. The work on his family continues in his memory.
A special thank you to Thomas Jones Huey, Jr. whose family research in 1979-1980 was the foundation for the current research on this family.
A special thank you to Steve Coker for all his research and willingness to share!
Updated 21 July 2010
The ancestry of this Coker family begins in England with the birth of WILLIAM COKER in 1756 who married a WILSON (first name unknown) also born in England. William Coker came to America prior to 1780 and settled in York County, SC where he died about 1831. His wife died sometime between 1820 and 1830 in York County, SC.
They had 2 sons: Robert Barr Coker, who was born 1780 and died 1804 in York County, SC and William Wilson Coker (1790-1839). See below.
They also seemingly had 3 daughters born in the 1790's. Two of these daughters also moved to Cherokee County, AL and never married.
Deborah Coker was born 1789-1795 in South Carolina according to the 1850 census when she lived in Cherokee County, AL and 1870 census when she lived in Rome, Floyd County, GA.
Mary Johnston Coker was born 1793-1799 in South Carolina according to the 1850 census for Cherokee County, AL when she lived with her sister, Deborah and Letticia Coker, age 19, born in SC. Both Deborah and Mary died after 1870 in Rome, Floyd County, GA when they lived with Letitia Mathis, age 39, and her husband, James L. Mathis, age 45 and their 4 daughters.
This family history follows the descendants of William Wilson Coker.
WILLIAM WILSON COKER (1790-1839)
William Wilson Coker was born 1790 in SC (most likely York County, SC) and died 11 Oct 1839 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL.
William Wilson Coker served in the War of 1812 and led a prominent life in Chester County, SC where, among other things he served as Sheriff. He and his wife and family moved to Fayetteville, GA (about 1834) and then onto Alabama (in 1836). About two years after the Cherokee were removed from north Georgia and Alabama in the "Trail of Tears, William bought land in Cherokee County, Alabama on Little River and settled there. He would live out his short life in that area. About 1837, William opened and for the last 3 years of his life, operated a hotel in Cedar Bluff.
William married Sarah Ann POWELL, daughter of James Powell and Sarah Meek, in July 1817 in Chester County, SC. At the time of their marriage, Sarah was a widow of Nathan WILLIAMS and had a daughter, Louisa M. Williams, who later married Aaron R. WEBB and lived in Cherokee County, AL.
Sarah was born about 1800 in York Co., SC and died between 1870 and 1880 in Cherokee County, AL. They had 8 children according to census data of which we know information on 6. The first 7 children were born in Chester Co., SC and the last child was born in Fayette Co., GA. They had the following children: a daughter born bet. 1818-1820 (this may be Louisa Williams); James Powell Coker (abt 1823); a daughter born 1821-1824, John Wilson Coker (1825-1918), Jane L. Coker (1828-1870's), Mary Elizabeth Coker born about 1829; Martha A. Coker (1834) and William Harbin Coker (1835-1869).
I. JAMES POWELL COKER (ABT 1823)
James Powell Coker (Sr) was born about 1823 in Chester County, SC and died between 1885 and 1900 in Jackson County, Florida. He moved with the family from SC to GA and then to Cherokee County, AL before moving to Jackson County, Florida prior to 1850. James was a merchant. He married 3 times.
James P. Coker fought during the Civil War with the Florida Cavalry from Jackson Co., FL as a private.
James' first wife was Fatima (maiden name unknown) who was born 10 November 1830 in Alabama and died 16 October 1865 in Jackson Co., FL. She was buried in Greenwood Methodist Cemetery in Jackson Co., FL. They had one child:
A. WILLIAM W. COKER was born about 1849 in Jackson Co., FL and died sometime after 1900. He married E.E. (full name and maiden name unknown) who was born about 1854 in Alabama. They had a child: Fatima E. Coker who was born about 1874 in Florida or Georgia.
James Powell Coker's second wife was Mattie H. ROBINSON who he married 8 July 1871 in Jackson Co., FL. Mattie died between 1871-1880 in Jackson County, Florida. No children.
James Powell Coker's third wife was Ella F. HOLLIDAY who he married on 15 May 1881 in Jackson Co., Florida. Ella was born Oct 1852 in Florida and died sometime after 1910. James and Ella had two sons:
B. JAMES POWELL COKER (Jr.) was born 15 June 1882 in Jackson Co., FL and died 30 May 1933 in Floyd County, GA. He first married Sadie C. CLANTON on 22 Jan 1903 in Jackson Co., FL. She died between 1903 and 1907. No children.
James Powell Coker (Jr.)then married Lilly May (maiden name unknown) about 1907. Lilly was born about 1889 in Georgia and died sometime after 1930. James and Lilly had two sons:
1. Agnew R. Coker who was born 23 March 1908 in Georgia and died 12 July 1975 in Fulton Co., GA.
2. Carter W. Coker was born about 1912 in Florida and died 5 March 1937 in Floyd County, GA.
C. CLEVELAND COKER was born July 1884 in Jackson County, FL and died there between 1900- and 1910. In one census, he was listed as Clifton Coker
II. JOHN WILSON COKER (SR) (1825-1918)
John Wilson Coker was born 26 April 1825 in Chester Co., SC and died 26 April 1918 in Cherokee County, AL. He married 3 times but had children only with his first wife. John married Mary Jane McGEE, daughter of Levin McGee and Mary Nancy Wells, in 1844. Mary was born 23 Jan 1825 in Georgia and died 22 June 1869 in Cherokee County, AL. They are buried in Harris Cemetery (aka Antioch), Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL. John and Mary Jane had 8 children:
A. JAMES MONROE POWELL COKER was born 15 Oct 1845 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there on 26 April 1874. He is buried in Harris Cemetery, Cedar Bluff, Cherokee Co., AL.
James Monroe Powell Coker served in the Civil War as a private in Company E, 4th Regiment, Alabama Infantry. He enlisted in Cedar Bluff, Alabama on April 30, 1862. He was promoted to Sargent Major on May 31, 1864 and was transferred to the 48th Alabama Infantry in 1864. He was wounded at the 2nd Battle of Manasses on August 30, 1862 but returned to fight on December 13, 1862 at Fredericksburg. He fought in numerous battles from Chickamauga to Gettysburg to Virginia for a total of 17 battles.
He married Ophelia WARREN, daughter of Edward T. Warren and Mary Jane Morgan on 12 Dec 1866. Ophelia was born 23 July 1852 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 9 Oct 1888 in Cherokee Co., AL. Edward T. Warren died during the Civil War and Mary J. Morgan Warren remarried to Richard "Baxter" Small about 1867.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE WARREN FAMILY AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
James M.P. Coker and Ophelia Warren had 4 children:
1. Mary "Edna"Coker was born 10 Nov 1869 in Gaylesville, Cherokee Co., Alabma and died 11 Nov 1947 in Wartrace, Bedford Co., TN. She married Augustus Forrest APPLETON, son of Thomas Newton Appleton and Matilda Pyram High, on 30 Dec 1891 in Cherokee County, AL. Gus was born 5 May 1869 in Collinsville, DeKalb County, AL and died 5 May 1941 in Nashville, Davidson Co., TN. They are buried in Harris Cemetery, Cedar Bluff, Cherokee Co., AL. They had 11 children: Ray Quitman Appleton (1892-20 Feb 1973), Roy Augustus Appleton (1894-1965), Ophelia Matilda Appleton (1895-1989), Mary Lucille Appleton (1897-1954), Jimmie Sue Appleton (1899-1936), Sally Beatrice Appleton (1901-1974), Vera Katherine Appleton (1903-1974), Carrie Ella Appleton (1904-1977), Tommie Ann Appleton (1907-1996), Jerre Thorton (J.T.) Appleton (1910-1982), Harriet Elizabeth Appleton (1914-1923).
2. John Edward Coker was born 27 Feb 1871 in Gaylesville, Cherokee County, AL and died 7 April 1933 in Floyd Co., GA. He married Annie HACKNEY in 1896. Annie was born July 1873 in Georgia and died 17 Feb 1968 in Fulton County, GA. They had two daughters: Harriet Coker (Dec 1897 GA) who married Dr. Blake Armstrong and Mary A. Coker (abt 1914 GA).
3. Emma Ophelia Coker was born 18 July 1872 in Gaylesvile, Cherokee County, AL and died 16 July 1951 in Collinsville, De Kalb County, AL. She married Thomas Hayne APPLETON, M.D., son of Rev. John Bulow Appleton and Martha Francis Ellis on 14 Nov 1893. Thomas is a first cousin of Gus Appleton who was married to Emma's sister, Edna (see above). Thomas Appleton was born 28 May 1865 in Collinsville, De Kalb Co., AL and died there on 25 April 1946. This couple is buried in Collinsville Cemetery, De Kalb Co., AL. They had 8 children: Hayne Coker Appleton (1894-1964), James Lamar Appleton (1896-1973), John Edward Appleton (1898-1899), Wesley Howard Appleton (1900-1993), Shelton Appleton, DDS (1902-1988), Mary Varner Appleton (1904-1989), Martha Eliza Appleton (1908-1910) and Bulow Wilson Appleton (1912-1976).
To learn more about the APPLETON family, go to
4. Jimmie Coker was born 15 Sept 1874 in Gaylesville, Cherokee County, AL and died 1955 in Cherokee County, AL. She married Thomas Covington McELRATH, son of Thomas Payne McElrath and Susan Covington 29 Nov 1893 in Cherokee County, AL. Thomas was born June 1873 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there in 1936. This couple is buried in Harris Cemetery. They had four children: daughter (1910-1910), Mary Sue McElrath (31 Jan 1912 in Cherokee Co., AL -12 Jan 1918 in Cherokee Co., AL), son (1914-1914) and William C. McElrath (7 Oct 1915 in Cherokee County AL-May 1988 in Jefferson Co., AL), who maried Mildred J. Wilson.
Upon the death of James M.P. Coker, Ophelia Warren Coker married his brother , John Wesley Coker (see below).
B. SARAH JANE COKER was born 28 Dec 1847 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 1 Nov 1885 there. She married Andrew "Taylor" CHISOLM , son of Andrew Jackson Chisolm and Minerva Jane McGlothlin, about 1870. Taylor was born about 1844 in AL and died 1880. They are buried in Harris Cemetery. They had six children:
1. Mary Estelle Chisolm was born 28 Aug 1871 in Cherokee Co, AL and died 17 June 1873 there. Buried Harris Cemetery.
2. Mattie Ophelia Chisolm was born 19 Jan 1873 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 27 April 1897 in Rome, Floyd County, GA. She married John Welsey CLINTON, son of James M. Clinton and Jane L. Coker about 1892. They were first cousins, 1 time removed. John was born 4 May 1866 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 3 Aug 1944 in Tarrant County, TX. Mattie and John had one daughter: Viva Ophelia Clinton (19 June 1893-1970 in Maricopa Co., AZ) who married Earl James PEDEN (21 March 1894 TX - Nov 1963 Maricopa Co., AZ).
3. Chrissie Angelie Chisolm was born 19 Jan 1873 in Cherokee Co., AL
4. Coker Chisolm was born 26 Oct 1874 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 29 Nov 1951 in Cherokee County, AL. He married Martha (known as Mattie) Ellis ODEM about 1893. Mattie was born 26 Sept 1870 in Georgia and died 17 Nov 1951 in Cherokee County, AL. They had 8 children: Carl Wesley Chisolm (29 April 1895-October 1979); Samuel Taylor Chisolm (Jan 1897-21 Jan 1950) who married Minnie Odem (1899-1974); Johnnie G. Chisolm (13 Feb 1899-3 April 1899); Sally E. Chisolm (Feb 1900) who married Charlie Wood; Ellis Chisolm (19 Nov 1902-23 Nov 1902); E. Pattillo Chisolm (abt 1906) who married Nettie A.; Aldridge P. Chisolm (22 Jan 1910-23 April 1986 GA); Fred T. Chisolm (2 Feb 1904-11 March 1904)
5. Edward Chisolm was born 18 Sept 1876 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 18 Sept 1876. He is buried in Harris Cemetery.
6. Charlie Chisolm was born about 1879 in Etowah County, AL.
C. JOHN WESLEY COKER was born 8 Dec 1849 in Cherokee County, AL and died there 10 Dec 1917.
He married Ophelia WARREN Coker (widow of his brother James/see above) on 31 Jan 1877.
They are buried in Harris Cemetery near Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, Alabama. John Wesley Coker and Ophelia had 6 children:
1. Malinda Elizabeth Coker (aka Liz or Lizzie) was born 10 June 1877 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 9 May 1956 in Etowah County, AL. She married Henry N. STOUT, son of John T. Stout. Henry was born January 1880 in Cherokee County, AL and died 8 May 1909 in Cherokee Co., AL. Lizzie had no children and did not remarry.
2. Josephine Warren Coker was born 18 March 1880 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 10 May 1959. She married Thomas Franklin STANFORD (known as Frank). Frank was born 30 Nov 1877 in Ringgold, GA and died 21 Oct 1960. They are buried in Tenn-GA Cemetery in Rossville, GA. They had 10 children: Thomas Coker Stanford (8 Oct 1902-18 Oct 1936); John Sidney Stanford (1 Nov 1903-15 March 1957); Cora Helen Stanford (4 Jan 1906-10 April 1966); George Wesley Stanford (14 Nov 1907-16 Oct 1995); Emmett Franklin Stanford (26 March 1909-26 Dec 1953); Edna Inez Stanford (3 July 1911); Mary Katherine Stanford (13 Dec 1915); Robert Henry Stanford (22 Jan 1917-8 Aug 1978); Paul Raymond Stanford (15 April 1919); Dorothy Sue Stanford (15 March 1922).
3. Alga Harbin Coker (known as Harb) was born 14 April 1882 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 25 Nov 1969 in Rockmart, Polk County, Georgia. He married Cora Kate KENNEDY, daughter of John Alexander Kennedy and Mattie Hamilton, on 30 December 1902. Cora was born June 1884 in Cherokee County, AL and died 24 April 1954. They had 8 children: Mattie Ophelia Coker (4 Nov 1903-20 Nov 2000) who married Dwight Cassius chesnut (17 July 1894-19 Sept 1959); Edith "Louise"Coker (28 May 1906-10 July 1981) who married Duke Pearce; Charles Frederick "Fred" Henry Coker (1908) who married Sarah Malone (27 Sept 1908-9 Jan 1987) ; John Wallace "Kennedy" Coker (9 Feb 1911-24 Aug 1987) who married Ophelia (26 Feb 1921-30 Aug 1984); Mary Jamie "Kathryn" Coker (11 Feb 1914-18 Nov 2003) who married Hershal John Black Payne (6 Jan 1915-11 June 1994); Frances "Pauline" Coker (22 July 1917-28 June 1982) who married Jack Hix (died 1 May 1951) ; William Harbin Coker (1920)who married Marguerite Kathryn Mann (4 July 1922-22 June 2008) and Bessie Irene Coker (1923) who married William Edsel Allen.
4. Samuel Wilson Coker was born 3 April 1884 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there on 12 March 1971. He married Alma E. TIMMERMAN, daughter of William Franklin Timmerman and Ellen Louis Brown on 27 Nov 1904. Alma was born 2 May 1885 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there on 9 April 1924. They are buried in Harris Cemetery. Sam and Alma had 4 children: Alta Audrey Coker (31 July 1905-23 Sept 1992); John Wesley Coker (7 Jan 1907-17 Sept 1968), Ella Marguerite Coker (26 May 1910-Nov 1995) and Alma E. Coker (abt 1923).
Samuel Wilson Coker remarried Cammie Jane BENEFIELD about 1925. She was born 15 August 1908 in Alabama and died 25 March 1991 in Etowah County, AL. They had 15 children: Jerry W. Coker (5 Sept 1925-28 April 1996); Glenn Coker (abt 1926), Travis Don Coker (1928); Martha Jane Coker (30 Dec 1929-31 July 1932); Bobby Wilson Coker;Mildred Elizabeth Coker; Sam Wallace Coker; Charles Coker; Georgia Blanch Coker; Mary Emma Coker; Kenneth Lloyd Coker; Cammie Pauline Coker; Joann Coker, Richard Henry Coker and Larry Wayne Coker.
5. Charles Wesley Coker was born Sept 1885 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 25 June 1887.
6. Henry Benjamin Coker was born 19 Nov 1887 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 21 Dec 1944 in Etowah Co., AL. He married Willie Leona TIMMERMAN (sister of Alma Timmerman above), daughter of William Franklin Timmerman and Ellen Louise Brown, on 7 Oct 1908. Willie was born 28 March 1884 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 8 Sept 1971. They had 3 children: Evelyn Sue Coker (14 April 1909); Edith Louise Coker (21 Jan 1911-26 Feb 1989) and Henry Benjamin Coker (20 May 1917-27 May 1993).
Upon the death of Ophelia Warren Coker 9 Oct 1888, John Wesley Coker married Mary Ella WARREN COKER, sister of his wife, Ophelia, and widow of William M. COKER, first cousin of John Wesley Coker. They had been next door neighbors.
John Wesley Coker married Mary "Ella" Warren (widow Coker), daughter of Edward T. Warren and Mary J. Morgan on 4 Nov 1889 in Cherokee County, AL. Ella was born 18 Aug 1858/1860 (both dates have been given) in Cherokee Co., AL and died 23 Dec 1907 in Cherokee County, AL. She is also buried at Harris Cemetery with Ophelia and John Wesley Coker. John and Ella had no children. However, Ella had a son, Wallace Coker, with her first husband. (see below).
D. MARY ELIZABETH COKER (known as Lizzie) was born 13 Nov 1851 in Cherokee County, AL and died there 5 June 1923. She married George "Pierce" SMITH, son of William B. Smith and Ava Emma Patty, on 18 Sept 1873. (note: Ava Emma Patty Smith later married John Wilson Coker, Sr., the father of Mary Elizabeth Coker). Pierce Smith was born 15 May 1851 in DeKalb County, GAand died 17 Feb 1919 Cherokee County, AL. G.P. Smith became President of the Cherokee County, Bank. This couple is buried in Centre Cemetery, Cherokee Co., AL. Pierce and Lizzie had 9 children:
1. William "Lamar" Smith was born 7 August 1874 in Centre, Cherokee Co., AL and died 13 October 1932 in Etowah Co., AL. He married Charlsie (sometimes spelled Charlye) CARDON, daughter of H.W. Cardon, 12 Dec 1899 in Cherokee County, AL. Charlye or Charlsie was born 26 June 1879 in Alabama and died 10 Nov 1902 in Etowah County, AL. They had one daughter: Mildred Rowena Smith who was born 6 Oct 1900 in Etowah County, AL and died 9 Nov 1963 in Hidalgo County, TX. She married Judson Carnell Friday who was born 13 July 1896 in AL and died 24 May 1977 in Kerr County, Texas.
William "Lamar" Smith then married Iva Lucille COX on 26 Oct 1904. Iva was born 7 Dec 1884 in AL and died 9 May 1970 in Etowah County, AL. They had 3 children: William Lamar Smith, Jr. (3 Jan 1907-6 June 1907), Iva Lucilla Smith (7 March 1911-3 Oct 1912) and George Allen Smith born 12 July 1913 in Etowah County, AL and died 17 May 1976.
2. Carrie "Ada" Smith was born 27 Aug 1876 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there on 19 Sept 1898. She is buried in Centre Cemetery.
3. Melton Coker Smith was born 5 January 1879 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 20 Feb 1916 in Cherokee Co., AL. He maried Mary Cardon VANN on 10 June 1900 in Cherokee County, AL. Mary was born 8 June 1879 in Portersville, AL and died 10 Oct 1959. She was the daughter of Dr. A.J. Vann. They had three children: Albert Vann Smith (5 Feb 1902-27 Feb 1971), Evelyn Hope Smith (17 July 1903- 25 Deb 1964) and Roy Smith (3 Aug 1908). They are buried in Garrett's Cemetery, Centre, Cherokee County, AL.
4. Mary Emma Smith was born 28 Dec 1880 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 13 Dec 1911. She is buried in Centre Cemetery.
5. Beverly P. Smith (male) was born 4 May 1883 in Cherokee County, AL and died there 7 Aug 1907. He is buried in Centre Cemetery.
6. Georgia "Inez" Smith was born 7 Dec 1886 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 27 July 1915. She is buried in Centre Cemetery.
7. Clara Estelle Smith was born 12 July 1889 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 3 December 1893 in Cherokee County, AL. She is buried in Centre Cemetery.
8. Roscoe Smith was born 1 April 1892 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there 11 Oct 1939 in Jefferson Co., AL. He married Tevis SAVAGE, daughter of John P. Savage and Lucy Walden. She was born 1 August 1894 and died Jan 1982 in Cherokee County, AL. No children to this union. Tevis remarried in 1950 to Thomas R. Burke.
9. Louise Elizabeth Smith was born 13 Aug 1895 in Cherokee Co., AL and died Aug 1984 in Cherokee County, AL. She married James Oleus JORDAN, son of Jefferson Davis Jordan and Josephine Newberry on 17 Nov 1917. James was born 2 April 1894 and died 1 Jan 1957 in Cherokee County, AL. They had a daughter, Mary George Jordan (8 Aug 1918-21 April 1990) who maried Dan W. Waite, Jr. (9 Jan 1915-19 Feb 2002).
E. MARTHA L. COKER (known as Mattie) was born 24 May 1853 in Cherokee County, AL and died 12 June 1869 there. She is buried in Harris Cemetery near Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL.
F. MALINDA CRISSIE COKER was born 28 Aug 1855 in Cherokee County, AL and died there 25 Jan 1863. She is buried in Harris Cemetery.
G. WILLIAM L. COKER was born 19 Aug 1858 in Cherokee Co., AL and died there on 11 July 1890. He is buried in Harris Cemetery.
H. WALTER HARBIN COKER was born 18 Aug 1860 in Cherokee County, AL and died 26 July 1938 in Floyd County, GA. He married Sara "Georgia" SMITH, daughter of William B. Smith and Ava Emma Patty on 20 June 1889. (See below where Ava Emma Patty Smith, widow, married John Wilson Coker, Sr., as his second wife). Georgia was born 7 April 1862 in Alabama and died 20 Dec 1926 in Orlando, Orange County, FL. Walter and Georgia are buried in Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Rome, Georgia. They had 7 children:
1. Mary Coker was born 1 April 1890 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 12 April 1961 in Cincinnati, Ohio. She is buried in Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Rome, GA. She married John Moore LEWIS, son of Benjamin and Elizabeth Lewis, on 2 Sept 1919 in Rome, Georgia. John was born 15 April 1883 in Clearfield County, PA and died 28 July 1958 in Cincinnati, Hamilton Co., Ohio. They had no children but raised her sister's child, Georgia Blanche Phyllis Wilby. Georgia was the daughter of Ava Elizabeth Coker and Phil Wilby (see below).
2. Walter George Coker, Sr. was born 25 Aug 1891 in Rome, Floyd Co.,GA and died 25 Jan 1955 in Greenville, Greenville County, SC. He married Mary Jane West, daughter of John S. and mamie West, on 30 Nov 1921 in Knoxville, TN. Mary was born 25 Nov 1901 in Blount County, TN and died 19 May 1951 in Spartanburg County, SC. Walter and Mary are buried in Rosemont Cemetery, Laurens County, SC. They had two sons:
a. Walter George Coker, Jr. born 24 March 1923 in Knox County, TN and died 25 October 2000 Spartanburg County, SC. His first marriage was to Estelle Benfield (born 1924 in NC) in 1946. He later married Carrie Linda Reynolds (19 Sept 1934-3 June 2000) in 1963.
b. John West Coker born 25 May 1927 in Knox County, TN and died 13 June 2001 in Tampa, Florida. He first married Jane Evans Frazier Rolandi in 1959. This marriage ended in divorce. He later married Dorothy Traina in 1991.
Walter George Coker Sr. married Caroline JOHNSON. Caroline was born 11 Jan 1910 and died 17 March 1992 in Greenville, Greenville County, SC.
3. Ross Wilson Coker was born 13 Feb 1894 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 2 March 1973 in Monterey County, California. He married Edith Alderman, daughter of Spencer L. Alderman and Alice M. Pough. Edith was born 24 Nov 1893 in Riverside Co., California and died 14 June 1990 in Monterey Co., California.
4. Millard Bays Coker was born 31 Aug 1895 in Rome, Floyd Co.,GA and died there on 25 July 1941. He married Bertha Elizabeth OSMAN, daughter of John "Peter"Osman and Josephine Miller, on 1 October 1914 in Clark County, Indiana. Bertha was born 17 May 1894 in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky and died 21 June 1969 in Atlanta, GA. They are both buried in Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Rome, GA. They had six children:
a. Millard Bays Coker Jr. was born 10 Nov 1915 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 27 Nov 1982 in Port Jervis, Orange Co., NY. He married Sarah "Frances" BECK, daughter of Wililam Spencer Beck and Essie Beck, on 25 Feb 1939 in Rome, GA. Frances was born 2 July 1917 in Rome, GA and died 2 Sept 1997 in Orange County, New York.
b. Marion Leah Coker was born 27 July 1917 and died 24 June 1918 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA.
c. George Belk Coker was born 30 Jan 1919 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 28 April 1989 in Chatham County, GA. He first married Sally Barton in 1941. This marriage ended in divorce. He then married Rose Ann Smith who was born 2 Aug 1930 and died 27 Jan 1997 in DeKalb County, AL.
d. Walter Osman Coker was born 3 Feb 1921 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 18 June 2002 in Atlanta, Georgia.
e. Ross Miller Coker was born 17 July 1922 in Gainesville, Hall County, GA and died 22 Oct 1993 in Pasco County, Florida. He married Charlotte MILLICAN who was born 21 Aug 1923 and died 30 march 1998 in Seminole County, Florida.
f. Jo Moore Coker (a son) was born 2 Nov 1924 in Louisville, Jefferson Co., KY and died 1 April 1997 in Savannah, Chatham County, GA. He married Mary Elinor TUTTLE in 1950.
5. Ava Elizabeth Coker was born 31 March 1897 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 26 May 1921 in Rome, Floyd County, GA. She married Philip Sheridan WILBY on 8 Nov 1915 in Atlanta, Fulton Co., GA. Philip was born 16 July 1887 in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia and died 19 Oct 1918 in Ramsey County, Minnesota. They are both buried in Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Rome, GA. They had one child:
a. Georgia Blanche "Phyllis" Wilby, who was raised by her aunt, Mary Coker Lewis, after the death of her mother. Phyllis was born 29 Aug 1916 in Rome, Floyd Co., Georgia and died 29 Nov 1965 in Ashland, Kentucky. She married George Washington YANCY in 1939 in West Virginia. George was born 9 May 1917 in Newport, KY and died 1 March 1992 in Ashland, KY.
After the death of her first husband, Ava Elizabeth Coker married Edwin Lorene Werkmeister, son of John and Marie Wekmeister. Edwin was born 30 Oct 1892 in Chicago, Cook Co., IL and died 15 Oct 1967 in Broward County, Florida. They had a son:
b. John Walter Werkmeister born 4 Jan 1921 West Virginia and died 18 June 1993 in Orange County, Florida. He was only 4 months old at the time of his mother's death and was raised by his widowed father.
6. Battey Belk Coker (male) was born 1 Nov 1898 in Rome, Floyd Co., GA and died 25 June 1992 in Dallas, Texas. He was a physician. Battey married Margaret Dryer McCOY, daughter of Rev. James Henry McCoy and Annie Bradley, on 6 Sept 1924 in Nashville, ,Davidson County, TN. Margaret was born 14 Sept 1901 in Huntsville, Madison Co., AL and died 23 Nov 1996 in Texas. They had two daughters:
a. Georgia Ann Coker (1925) who was born in California. She married James Dayton Stinson in 1947.
b. Jean Coker was born 25 Feb 1930 in Bryan County, OK and died 9 July 1994 in Denton County, Texas. She married Fred B. Hutchinson.
7. Sarah "Ruth" Coker was born 4 November 1900 in Rome, Floyd Co.,GA and died 6 Jan 1900 in Orange County, California. She married Edward Lee REID who was born 4 August 1895 in Alabama and died 1949 in Orange County, Florida. They had one daughter:
a. Sarah Ruth Reid was born 23 May 1924 in Rome, Floyd County, GA and died 22 July 2004 in Orange County, California. She married Michael BURLINGHAM, son of Dr. Robert Burlingham, Sr. and Dorothy Trimble Tiffany in 1946 in Orange County, FL. The marriage ended in divorce. Michael was born 16 March 1921 in New York City, NY and died 12 July 2003 in Los Angeles County, California..
After Mary Jane McGee Coker died in 1869, John Wilson Coker remarried to Ava "Emma" Paty Smith, widow of William B. Smith. She was the mother-in-law to two of John's children. Emma was the daughter of John Pat(t)ty and Nancy DREW. John and Emma married September 1870. Emma was born 9 March 1830 in Georgia and died 19 Dec 1899 in Cherokee Co., AL. She ws buried with her first husband on the Smith farm between Centre and Cedar Bluff. No children to this union.
Ava "Emma" Paty married her first husband, William B. SMITH, son of Robert Hiram Smith and Elizabeth Hawkins on 24 jan 1850 in Atlanta, GA. William was born 27 Nov 1828 in Rutherford County, NC and died 28 April 1869 in Cherokee County, AL. He was buried on the George Allen Smith farm between Centre and Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL. They had five children: George Pierce Smith (1851-1919) who married Mary Elizabeth Coker (see above); William R. Smith (June 1851) who married Lizzie and lived in Knoxville, TN; Missouri E. Smith (Jan 1858-12 Oct 1909) who married Luther M. Chisolm on 24 Oct 1878; Mary E. "Lizzie" Smith (abt 1860-28 June 1949) who never married; and Sarah "Georgia" Smith (7 pril 1862-20 Dec 1926) who married Walter Harbin Coker (see above).
After Emma's death in 1899, John Wilson Coker remarried to Mable GAY (aka as Maybelle), daughter of Julian P. and Mary GAY, on 11 Oct 1906 in De Kalb Co., AL. Mable was born 1877 in Louisiana and died 29 July 1959 in Alabama. She was buried in Sand Rock Cemetery, Cherokee Co., AL.
III. JANE L. COKER (1828-1870'S)
JANE L. COKER was born about 1818 in Chester County, SC and died in the 1870's in Cherokee County, AL. She married James M. CLINTON on 12 May 1844 in Cherokee Co., AL. James was born about 1816 in South Carolina and died 1865-1870 in Alabama. After the death of James Clinton, Jane Coker Clinton moved back to Cherokee County, AL with her daughters and lived next door to her widowed mother in Cedar Bluff. They had 7 children:
A. William W. Clinton was born about 1846 in Alabama and died 1887-1900 in Yell County, Arkansas. He married Elizabeth F. (maiden name unknown) who was born Oct 1849 in Alabama and died 1920 in Arkansas. They had 10 children:
1. M.L. Clinton (son) born May 1870 in Calhoun County, AL
2. Rose L. Clinton born Aug 1872 in Alabama.
3. J.A. Clinton (daughter) born about 1874 in Yell Co., Arkansas
4. Carrie M. Clinton born Aug 1874 in Yell County, Arkansas
5. Walter W. Clinton born Nov 1877 in Yell County, Arkansas
6. Barton Clinton born about 1879 in Yell Co., Arkansas
7. Allen W. Clinton (aka Allie) born Aug 1880 in Yell County, Arkansas
8. Frank Clinton born Aug 1882 in Yell Co., Arkansas
9. Ruby R. Clinton born April 1885 in Yell Co., Arkansas and died 1972.
10. Robert Lesley Clinton born 8 Oct 1886 in Yell Co., Arkansas
B. Martha Clinton born about 1849 in Alabama.
C. James Clinton was born about 1852 in Calhoun County, Alabama. He married Nancy WOOD on 14 Feb 1878 in Cherokee Co., AL. Nancy was born about 1853 in AL. They had a daughter
1. Carra H. Clinton born about 1879 in Cherokee County, AL
D. Sarah Clinton was born about 1854 in Calhoun County, AL
E. Mary Clinton was born about 1856 in Calhoun County, AL
F. Louisa F. Clinton was born about 1860 in Calhoun County, AL
G. John Wesley Clinton was born 4 May 1866 in Cherokee County, AL and died 3 Aug 1844 in Ft. Worth, Tarrant Co., Texas. He first married Mattie Ophelia CHISOLM, daughter of Andrew Taylor Chisolm and Sarah Jane Coker about 1892 (see above). Mattie was born 19 Jan 1873 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 27 April 1897 in Georgia or Texas. They had a daughter
1. Viva Ophelia Clinton was born 19 June 1893 in Texas and died 1970 in Mesa, Maricopa Co., Arizona. She married Earl James PEDEN who was born 21 March 1894 in Wichita County, Texas and died Nov 1963 in Maricopa County, Arizona. He was the son of G. Irvin and Nettie Peden. Viva and Earl had 6 children: Pauline Peden, Lorene Peden, Vira Peden, Earl James Peden, Jr., Irvin Peden and Evert Peden.
John Welsey Clinton married a second time (name unknown at this time) about 1897. She died about 1907 in Texas. They had 5 children:
2. John Fletcher Clinton was born 12 Sept 1898 in Georgia.
3. Sarah J. Clinton was born about 1901 in Texas.
4. Annie L. Clinton was born about 1902 in Texas.
5. Mary E. Clinton was born about 1904 in Texas.
6. Mattie Lou Clinton was born about 1906 in Texas.
John Wesley Clinton married a third time to Katie F. (maiden name unknown) about 1909. Katie was born about 1878 in Georgia. They had five children:
7. Margie Ruby Clinton was born about 1910 in Wise County, Texas.
8. Albert T. Clinton was born about 1913 in Texas
9. James W. Clinton was born about 1914 in Texas.
10. Ruth K. Clinton was born about 1916 in Texas.
11. William E. Clinton was born 1920 in Tarrant County, Texas.
IV: MARY ELIZABETH COKER (Abt 1829)
Mary Elizabeth Coker was born about 1829 in Chester County, SC and died sometime after 1870 possibly in Arkansas (more research needs to be done). She married Alexander DERRICK of Marshall County, AL on 26 Feb 1846 in Cherokee County, AL. In the 1850 census, they were living next door to Mary's widowed mother, Sarah, and two siblings, Martha and and William. This family moved to Arkansas about 1865. They were living in Spring Creek, Phillips County, Arkansas in the 1870 census. They had 8 children:
1. Floyd Houston Derrick was born 27 Nov 1846 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL. He married Vienna Regina Wooten 18 Dec 1867. Vienna was born 1848 in Carroll County, MS.
2. Susan Louise Derrick born 2 Aug 1848 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
3. Sarah Florence Derrick born 10 Dec 1849 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
4. William Coker Derrick born 18 Jan 1853 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
5. John Powell Derrick born 28 Dec 1856 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
6. Jane Fantama Josephine Derrick born 26 April 1859 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
7. Hugh Lee Derrick born 19 Oct 1864 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL
8. James Sidney Derrick born 9 Oct 1866 in Arkansas.
V. MARTHA A. COKER (abt 1834)
Martha A. Coker was born about 1834 in Chester County, SC and most likely died in Alabama.
The 1850 census for District 26, Cherokee Co., AL lists Sarah N. Coker as 49 years of age, born in SC with real estate valued at $1000 with a daughter, Martha A., age 15, born SC and William H., age 14, born GA.
VI. WILLIAM HARBIN COKER (1835-1869)
William Harbin Coker was born about 1835 in Fayette County, GA and died 28 Jan 1869 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee Co., AL. He is buried in Harris Cemetery. William married Josephine CUNNINGHAM, daughter of John Cunningham and Lucinda Smawley about 1855. Josephine was born in 1829 in Alabama and died in 1862 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL. They had 3 children:
A. William M. Coker was born about 1857 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee Co., AL and died there in 1889. William married Mary "Ella" WARREN, daughter of Edward T. Warren and Mary J. Morgan about 1878. Ella was born 18 Aug 1858 or 1860 in Cherokee County, AL and died 23 Dec 1907 in Cherokee Co., AL. She is buried in Harris Cemetery. They had one son:
1. Wallace Edward Coker was born 20 June 1880 in Cherokee County, AL and died 3 Oct 1948 in Dallas County, TX. He married Caroline L. HOPKINS about 1918. Caroline was born about 1882 in Indiana. They had no children.
After the death of William M. Coker, Ella Warren Coker remarried to John Wesley Coker, first cousin to William. John Wesley Coker was the widower of Ophelia Warren Coker, Ella's sister (see above).
B. John Buford Meek Coker was born 15 Aug 1859 in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL and died 24 April 1955 in Hunt County, Texas. He was buried in Forest Park Cemetery, Hunt Co., Texas. He married Louisa Elizabeth HARRIS, daughter of Hiram Wesley Harris and Sarah Amanda, on 13 Dec 1880 in Cherokee Co., AL. Louisa was born 17 April 1864 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 12 Oct 1892 in Hunt Co., Texas. They had 6 children:
1. Maudie Ola Coker born 1882 in Etowah Co., AL
2. William Meeks Coker born 15 April 1884 in Etowah County, AL. He married Geneva A. (maiden name unknown) about 1902. Geneva was born about 1885 in Texas. They had two children: Gaston Young Coker born 15 Aug 1909 in Hunt County, Texas and died 25 Nov 1989 in Collin County, Texas. Gaston married Alta Marie POWELL, daughter of Oscar Powell and Alfa Mitchell on 28 June 1931 in Durant, OK. Alta was born 6 March 1909 in Texas and died 10 Oct 2001 in Hunt County, Texas. William and Geneva also had a daughter, Bula M. Coker born about 1912 in Hunt County, Texas.
3. Oran Coker born 1886 in Cherokee Co., AL and died 1899 in Hunt Co., Texas
4. Ida Lee Coker was born 1888 in Collin Co., Texas and died 1894 in Hunt Co., Texas
5. Charles Grady Coker was born 5 April 1890 in Hunt Co., Texas and died 13 May 1972 in Hunt County, Texas. He married Mattie Alma GRAYy, daughter of William Seaborn Gray and Josie E. Barnes. Mattie was born 29 Jan 1894 in Hunt County, TX and died there on 3 Feb 1958. They had 3 children: Daphna Lula Coker (25 Dec 1910), Charles Grady Coker, Jr. (1914) and Harold Coker (3 Aug 1928-18 Sept 1994).
6. Buford W. Coker was born 1891 in Hunt County, Texas and died there Nov 1892.
After the death of Louisa, John Buford Coker remarried to Rosa Etta MARTIN, daughter of Alex and Sarah Martin on 18 March 1895. Rosa was born 18 Sept 1873 in Alabama and died 20 Jan 1946 in Hunt County, Texas. They had six children:
7. Harb Martin Coker was born Jan 1899 in Hunt Co., Texas
8. Buford Coker was born 1900 in Hunt County, Texas and died 1903 there.
9. Clyde Walter Coker was born 21 Oct 1902 in Hunt Co., Texas and died Nov 1966 in Hunt Co., Texas. He married Catherine MOORE who was born 1908. They had 3 children: Jerry Clyde Coker, Gaylon Reeves Coker (1942-1989) and Phyllis Kaye Coker.
10. R.G. Coker (daughter) was born 1908 in Hunt County, Texas
11. Lotus Ology Coker (known as Jim) was born 2 March 1911 in Hunt Co., Texas and died there 5 Dec 1997. He married Martha Meeks WICKER.
12. Alton Lynton Coker was born 15 March 1913 in Hunt County, Texas and died there May 1982.
C. Ida Coker was born 1862 in Cherokee County, AL and died about 1869 there. She is buried in Harris Cemetery in Cedar Bluff, Cherokee County, AL.
After Josephine Cunningham Coker died in 1862, WILLIAM HARBIN COKER remarried to Rosa LOGAN on 4 Nov 1862 in Cherokee County, AL. Rosa was born about 1839 in South Carolina. They had a child:
D. Lula B. Coker was born in 1863 in Cherokee County, AL. Lula married John Samuel STEWART about 1879. John was born about 1856 in Alabama.
WARREN FAMILY OF ALABAMA
Generation 1: The Warren Family arrived in America to the colony of Maryland between 1655 and 1671 with the arrival of HUMPHREY WARREN, Sr. who was born 1632 in London, England and died 1671 in Charles County, Maryland. He was married to Eleanor Smoot.
Generation 2: THOMAS WARREN, son of Humprey Warren, was born about 1655 in Westminster, Longdon, England and died 1710 in Frailty, Port Tobacco Hundred, Charles Co., MD. He married Mary BARTON.
Generation 3: BARTON WARREN, son of Thomas Warren, was born 1696 in Charles County, MD and died February 1757. He married Elizabeth Martha GRIEVE.
Generation 4: ROBERT WARREN, son of Barton Warren, was born 6 Sept 1742 in Frailty, Charles Co., MD and died 26 Oct 1826 in Blount Co., TN. He married Pamela LOVE who was born 14 July 1751 in Charles Co., MD. Pamela was the daughter of Charles Love and Mary Harris.
Generation 5: SAMUEL DOBSON WARREN, son of Robert Warren, was born 19 March 1786 in Virginia and died 10 Aug 1870 in De Kalb Co., AL. He married Rebecca EARNEST on 27 Jan 1808. Rebecca was born 25 May 1785 in Greene County, TN and died 10 Nov 1880 in De Kalb County, AL. She was the daughter of Henry Earnest and Mary Stephens.
Samuel Dobson Warren and Rebecca Earnest had 9 children: Hannah Earnest Warren (19 April 1809 TN - 26 Oct 1888) who married William Ryan; Henry Patterson Warren (23 Aug 1811-TN-12 may 1891 DeKalb Co., AL) who married Miriam Caroline Garner on 5 March 1840; Washington Warren (1813-18 July 1831 TN); Mara L. Warren (abt 1818-1903) who married Isaac N. Ryan on 25 May 1852; Samuel Douthet Warren (3 June 1819 TN-27 Feb 1907 DeKalb County, AL) who married Willie Enna Lucy on 8 Aug 1877; Permelia E. Warren (14 June 1821 TN -17 Dec 1886 TX) who married Charles K. Buster on 9 Dec 1841; John F. Warren (20 Sept 1823 TN - 29 June 1874 DeKalb Co., AL) who married Emily M. Sims on 23 Dec 1867; Sarah Jane Warren (Nov 1825 TN-after 1900) who maried Samuel K. Rayburn on 22 May 1880; and Edward T. Warren (1828-1865)
Generation 6: EDWARD T. WARREN, son of Samuel Dobson Warren, was born 1828 in Blount County, Tennessee and died 9 January 1863 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He married Mary Jane Morgan who was born 1832 in South Carolina and died 1889-1900 in Dade County, Georgia or DeKalb County, Alabama. She was the daughter of John and Mary Morgan. They had two daughters, Ophelia and Mary Ella (see below).
EDWARD T. WARREN fought with Company H, 19th Alabama Infantry. Edward was severely wounded at Stones River (Murfreesboro, TN) on 31 Dec 1862 and died of his wounds on 9 January 1863 as a prisoner in Murfreesboro, TN. His remains were re-interred in Confederate Circle of Evergreen Cemetery in Murfreesboro, TN in 1898. He is one of 2,000 Confederate soliders buried there as unknown. Payment due to to his widow was paid to Mary J. Warren and signed by 1st Lt. J.B. High (brother of Matilda Pyram High who was married to Thomas Newton Appleton).
After the death of Edward, Mary Jane (nee Morgan) Warren remarried to Richard Baxter Small (born about 1831 in TN and died between 1900-1910 in Delta County, Texas) and had two sons: James Small (abt 1868) and Charles E. Small (born 1870 in De Kalb Co., AL). In 1889 they were living in Dade County, Georgia.
Generation 7: Edward Warren and Mary Jane Morgan Warren had two daughters: OPHELIA WARREN born 23 July 1852 in Cherokee County, AL and died there on 9 October 1888. She first married James Monroe Powell Coker (1845-1874) and then married his brother, John Wesley Coker (1849-1917) The other daughter was MARY "ELLA" WARREN born 18 Aug 1858 in Cherokee County, AL and died there 23 Dec 1907. She first married William M. Coker (1857-1889), and then his 1st cousin and her sister's widow, John Wesley Coker (1849-1917).
A special thank you to Jenifer Huey for her on-going assistance in family genealogy related to Civil War ancestors
Contact Jerry and Sue Appleton at email@example.com
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids