Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

ROYAL CANADIAN ARMY VETERINARY CORPS (RCAVC)



This page belongs to greg krenzelok.



POST ROYAL CANADIAN ARMY VETERINARY CORPS (RCAVC)

In 1910 the Canadian Army Veterinary Service, under the Quartermaster-General of the Canadian Military, came into existence and had three branches: the Canadian Permanent Army Veterinary Corps (CPAVC), the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps (CAVC) and the Regimental Veterinary Service, which was being phased out. The history of the Corps is quite complicated as two separate components existed until 1936, the militia component, the Canadian Army Veterinary Corps and the Permanent Canadian Army Veterinary Corps. (This being redesignated as the Royal Canadian Army Veterinary Corps in 1919.) In 1936 the militia element was also granted the prefix Royal and until the Corps was disbanded in 1940, both components then wore the same RCAVC badges. Prior to this each branch wore their own distinctive patterns of badges. By the outbreak of war in 1914, the Regimental Veterinary Service had ceased to exist, the CPAVC was still incomplete, so the majority of veterinarians and other ranks were found in the CAVC.

WITLEY CAMP VETERINARY HOSPITAL WW1


Source: http://www.tudorrow.com/202battalion/witley.html


Witley Camp was in UK & the Canadians used that site. Source: Jim Felton


Source: Jim Felton

WITLEY CAMP VETERINARY HOSPITAL WW1
Often simplified to Camp Witley, was a temporary army camp set up on Witley Common, Surrey, England. The camp was about 7 miles from Bramshott and appears to have been set up in the early part of the First World War. Camp Witley was one of three facilities in the Aldershot Command area and possibly established by the Canadian Army; the others being Bordon and Bramshott near Liphook.

Source: http://www.tudorrow.com/202battalion/witley.html

There is a description of the camp recorded in a book "The 60th C.F.A. Battery" by the 60th Battery of Canadian Field Artillery.

Source:
http://archive.org/stream/60thcfabatterybo00canauoft/60thcfabatterybo00canauoft_djvu.txt

WITLEY Camp, of which Milford Camp - the Artillery quarters - forms a part, had for some time been used as a Canadian training centre. On the high ground the infantry and other units occupied a camp which readily lent itself to efficient training; while on the slope of Rodhill ample there was accommodation for the Artillery, Army Service Corps and Engineers.

Witley is in an ideal situation for the training of artillery. It is surrounded by large areas of roll- ing common land covered with gorse and heather, giving opportunities for the most extensive maneuvers. The soil is principally sand, easy to excavate when practicing the construction of gun pits, and adequate cover is available for the purpose of concealment. In addition, the camp is in one of the most attractive districts of England.

Beautiful old-world villages and spots of historical and artistic interest lie within easy distance; good roads run in every direction; and on each side sweeps of rich agricultural land, picturesquely dotted with the quaintest of farm buildings, please the eye. Witley and environs, after a sleepy, dreary winter, presents a spring setting of unsurpassed beauty and richness.


NOTE: I am looking for Canadian Veterinary Corps material to post, history and images. - Greg Krenzelok



Return to: The Army Veterinary Service During the Great War, WW1

THE ARMY VETERINARY SERVICE DURING THE GREAT WAR, WW1
Click on the below link:
The Army Veterinary Service During the Great War, WW1


image description


Click on the below Homepage links:

SERGEANT LEONARD MURPHY VETERINARY HOSPITAL NO. 18, A.E.F., WW1
Click on the below link:
Sergeant Leonard Murphy Veterinary Hospital No. 18, A.E.F., WW1


11TH CAVALRY PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1919 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
11th Cavalry Presidio of Monterey, 1919 to 1940


76TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1922 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
76th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Battalion


FORT ORD U.S. ARMY STATION VETERINARY HOSPITAL (HORSE) WW2
Click on the below link:
Fort Ord U.S. Army Station Veterinary Hospital (Horse) WW2






U.S. ARMY VETERINARY CORPS HISTORICAL PRESERVATION GROUP

Motto: “Illic est Vires in Numerus” There is Strength in Numbers

“Working Hard to Preserve Our Country’s History wherever it is being lost”

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group is a group of individuals that are concerned about the preservation of the History of the Veterinary Corps, Remount Service and Cavalry or wherever our country’s history is being lost in conjunction with our beloved “Horse and Mule”. There is no cost to join and membership is for life. We believe by uniting together in numbers we will be a more powerful force to be heard. Our membership list is private and only used to contact our members. Email us and become a member.

Greg Krenzelok
gregkrenzelok@msn.com

FACEBOOK: U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group

Click on the below link:

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group