Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL, 1941 WW2



This page belongs to greg krenzelok.


FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL, 1941 WW2

Series 700 Mobilization Building Type, Station Hospital


The Fort Ord Station Hospital Administration Building T-3010, the entrance into the hospital was right across from the Red Cross building and Post Chapel that are still there today. Heavy ground work is being done in this area as of March 2010 DLIFLC & POM Archives


MEDICAL UNITS AT FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL 1941
1st Medical Regiment – IV Army Troops
1st Veterinary Company - IV Army Troops
1st Station Hospital – General Headquarters Troops
7th Surgical Hospital - IV Army Troops
7th Medical Battalion – 7th Division
57th Medical Battalion – III Army Corps Troops
Corps Area Support Unit No. 1962 (Station Complement)
Medical Section – Corps Area Support Unit No. 1962
Veterinary Section - Corps Area Support Unit No. 1962
Army Nurse Corps - Corps Area Support Unit No. 1962
Dental Corps Section - Corps Area Support Unit No. 1962


THE FORT ORD HOSPITAL WAS LOCATED:
North: 12th Street
South: 9th Street
West: 3rd Avenue
East: 4th Avenue

Note: Most of the original Fort Ord hospital has been down for many years and was left mainly as open ground and as of 2011 the face of the area is really changing as development moves in.


FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL WW2

Activation date: March 21, 1941


1ST MEDICAL REGIMENT 1st Medical Regiment stationed at Fort Ord was under the command of Colonel Wilson C. Von Kessler, Medical Corps. 1st Medical Regiment dates back only to the First World War but its record of gallantry and service under fire in France is tradition enough for any military organization.

The 1st Medical Regiment (peace strength) as originally organized consisted of the following companies and sections:
Headquarters Detachment
Medical Supply Section
Medical Laboratory Section
Ambulance Company No 1
Ambulance Company No 2
Sanitary Company No 1
Hospital Company No 1
Veterinary Company No 1

On June, 15, 1940 the First Medical Regiment was ordered to proceed, by motor trucks, to its new home station: Fort Ord, California. Upon arrival the Regiment found 240 recruits awaiting it, who were assigned to various organizations, given a month of intensive training to fit them for duty with the Regiment in the maneuver in Washington State, from July 27 to August 25. The Regiment returned to Fort Ord from Washington, partly by motor, and partly by rail, both parties arriving around the first of September, at which time it once again settled down to routine.

The hospital was responsible for the Station Hospital care of Fort Ord, California, which included the 7th Division and those attached; Army Language School, Presidio Monterey; Coast Guard, Pacific Grove; and the Del Monte Naval School. In-patient and outpatient service is given to all dependents of militarized personnel in the above installations.

The hospital is located in the main garrison of Fort Ord. The altitude is 110 feet; climate conditions are uniformly ideal, with moderate temperature. The hospital was constructed to accommodate 1752 patients, has a bed capacity of 550 beds.

BUILDINGS
As of 1947-48 there are 129 buildings in the hospital area, occupying an area of approximately 55 acres, which includes the Veterinary Hospital.

17 wards
5 clinics
5 mess halls
6 administration buildings
1 Post Exchange
1 Red Cross building
1 library
1 chapel
1 physical Examination Center
1 male Officer’s barrack
3 Nurse’s barracks
7 Enlisted Men barracks
8 WAC barracks
1 morgue
1 heating plant
5 utility buildings
1 transportation building warehouses
6 Veterinary buildings - (Ft. Ord Station Veterinary Hospital)
4 Dispensaries (one of which is Out-Patient Clinic)
1 recreation building

COMMISSIONED OFFICERS 1947
Medical – 53
Dental – 26
Veterinary Corps – 2
Medical Corps – 5
Army Nurse Corps – 51
Women Medical Specialist Corps – 3

ENLISTED
Enlisted Medical Detachment – 179
Attached WAC’s - 63
Civilian Employee – 53
Detachment of Patients (not for duty) - 229

Source: Fort Ord, Station Hospital Annual Report 1947-48, Archives of the Surgeon General, Debbie Gerlock, Archivist


THE 1ST MEDICAL REGIMENT TRACES HISTORY WW1 TO 1940's
The 1st Medical Regiment, stationed at Fort Ord under the command of Colonel Wilson C. Von Kessler, Medical Corps, dates back only to the World War (WW1) buts its record of gallantry and service under fire in France is tradition enough for any military organization.

Actually, the Regiment was not organized as such until 1921 but it traces its “ancestry” to the 1st Sanitary Train of World War fame, which formed the basis for the regiment when it was officially designated February 10, 1921 at Camp Dix, New Jersey. At the time, all personnel of the Train were transferred to the Regiment and new companies were formed.

The 1st Medical Regiment (peace strength) as originally organized consisted of the following companies and sections: - Headquarters Detachment, Medical Supply Section, Medical Laboratory Section, Ambulance Company No. 1, Ambulance Company No. 2, Sanitary Company No. 1 and Veterinary Company No. 1.

Organized in 1917. The First Sanitary Train was brought together as a unit in France about September 1917. The first companies to arrive in France were Ambulance Company No. 6 and Field Hospital Company No. 6 (later changed to Ambulance Company No. 13 Field Hospital Company No. 13). Ambulance Company No. 6 was stationed at LaNeuville – St. Joire (Meuse) and Field Hospital Company No. 6 at Gondrecourt (Meuse).

These companies were followed Field Hospital Company No. 11 by Ambulance Company No. 11 and (later changed to Ambulance Company No. 2 and Field Hospital Company No. 2) stationed at Hevilliers (Meuse) and Ambulance Company No. 12, also stationed at Hevilliers (Meuse). Ambulance Company No. 3 and Field Hospital Company No. 3 arrived in December 1917, and took station at Hevilliers (Meuse). The Medical Supply Unit, 1st Division, and Headquarters Section of the Train were sent home at the end of the war where all but the Regular Army personnel were mustered out at Camp Meade, MD.

The Train left Camp Meade, October 4, 1919, for Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., arriving there October 5, 1919. The last unit of the First Sanitary Train left Camp Zachary Taylor, Ky., October 6, 1920, enroute to Camp Dix, N.J., and arrived at Camp Dix October 8, 1920. Upon distribution of the troops of the First Division, The First Medical Regiment was ordered to Carlisle Barracks, Pa., for station, and the last unit arrived at Carlisle Barracks, September 15, 1922.

On June 15, 1940 the First Medical Regiment was ordered to proceed, by motor trucks, to its new home station: Fort Ord, California.

Upon arriving the Regiment found 240 recruits awaiting it, who were assigned to various organizations, given a month of intensive training to fit them for duty with the Regiment in the maneuver in Washington State, from July 27 to August 25. The Regiment returned to Fort Ord from Washington, partly by motor, and partly by rail, both parties arriving around the first of September, at which time it once again settled down to routine.

END

Fort Ord Panorama Newspaper 1941, DLIFLC & POM Archives


THIRTY-ONE HUNDRED MILES WITH THE 1ST MEDICAL REGIMENT

By Captain J. B. Coates Jr., Medical Corps, U.S. Army

Source: The Military Surgeon – June 1941, Vol. 88, No. 6

On June 15, 1940, precisely at eight a.m., the 1st Medical Regiment left Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania – its permanent station for almost twenty years – by motor convoy, for its new home, Fort Ord, California. The regiment, under the command of Lt. Col. Robert P. Williams, M.C., left behind sufficient personnel to form the Provisional Medical Battalion at the First Field Service School, and then faced the prospects of a 3,100-mile trip across the continent. As the regiment departed from the Post, it passed by the wives, officers and enlisted personnel left behind, who lined the streets to wish last minute good-byes and God-speed to an organization which not only had won honors in the First World War as a unit of the 1st Division, but has repeatedly upheld the traditions of the Medical Corps in periods of floods, emergencies, and in the recent large Army Maneuvers. We all experienced a note of sadness in our hearts that morning, at leaving our friends and a Post we had grown to love.

Leaving Carlisle, the regiment traveled westward in approximately forty vehicles through the beautiful valleys and hills of Pennsylvania. As the foothills of the mountains were reached, the Regimental Commander released the civilian serial of private cars under the command of 1st Lt. J. B. Coates Jr., M.C., so that they would not be slowed down unnecessarily on the stiff grades of the Alleghenies. It was a glorious day and the countryside was beautiful and green. In the afternoon we crossed into West Virginia, just south of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and that evening camped at Oglebay Park, a picturesque estate, with a clubhouse, swimming pools, stables, etc., situated on the outskirts of Wheeling, West Virginia, and donated to that city by the late Mr. Oglebay, as a memorial park. This day was a hard day for our maintenance section, which trailed the entire convoy – for the mountains proved a tough grind for some of the heavily laden trucks. Some of them pulled into camp late that night, and the maintenance section, under 1st Lt. Glenn J. Collins, M.C., and Staff Sergeant Russell Hey, did not reach Oglebay Park until the early hours of the morning. However, the entire regiment left the next morning, Sunday, June 16, and following U.S. Route No. 40, came into Columbus, Ohio, shortly after noontime where we stopped long enough to refuel the vehicles at Ft. Hayes, and then continued westward to Ft. Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, where we camped for the night. All members of the command (except the maintenance crew) thoroughly enjoyed a good night’s sleep, and were “raring to go” Monday morning, the 17th, when we cleared the I. P. at 7:00 a.m. After skirting around the main section of the city of Indianapolis, we finally got back on Route 40, and followed this to Terre Haute, into Illinois, and by late afternoon finally saw the city of St. Louis loom into sight, surrounded as usual by the characteristic haze in the sky, which was so perfectly described in “Life magazine” some few months ago. One could not have mistaken its identity. The country by this time had become very flat and the ground very dark and fertile in appearance. The convoy crossed the Mississippi River and was met by a St. Louis motorcycle police patrol on the Municipal Bridge and very ably escorted through the city to Jefferson Barracks.

Here again we were very graciously made welcome – the men taking every advantage of the hot showers in the barracks, and, likewise the officers of those in the Station Hospital. It was here that 1st Lt. Rolland B. Sigafoos, M. C., was sent to the hospital to undergo an emergency operation. Captain Paul H. Martin, M.C., took over the duties of the Advance Agent, as well as those of the Bivouac Officer. The duties of the Advance Officer are of utmost importance to a regiment on the march by motor convoy. His day begins earlier than the rest of the regiment, for he must leave two or three hours ahead of the convoy so as to gain time enough to make arrangements for noontime halt, secure as good a location as possible for this halt, and, contact the local gasoline dealer so that the regiment will be able to “gas up” without any unnecessary delay. He then proceeds to the sight of that’s night’s intended bivouac area, inspects it, plans for parking of the vehicles, in general, he lays out the campsite, makes any last-minute arrangements with the owners of the grounds, and also completes details for the refueling of the trucks again that evening. Sometimes this latter is not as simple as it sounds, for more than once the gasoline trucks had to come from a distance of fifty to seventy-five miles with their load of “gas.” In addition to the duties mentioned above the Advance Agent and Bivouac Officer contacts army post commanders, representatives of the Chambers of Commerce, and Chiefs of Police and arranges for water, bathing and recreation for the men, and civilian police escorts through the larger cities.

Some of the men went into St. Louis that evening to see the sights of this famous river town, but most of us “hit the hay” quite soon after a rather late supper. By the time our motor transport was working more efficiently, no mountains to cross for some days, and the regimental motor maintenance section had ironed out the minor troubles, which had been occurring up to that time. We all rested better that night.

Tuesday, we were on our way bright and early with the St. Louis police leading us over the back roads out to our good old Highway 40 – of which we were to see plenty during the next few days. 1st Lt. Alfred P. Thom, M.C., Operation Officer, furnished the convoy with excellent traffic guide controls, not only this day, but throughout the entire trip across the country. As the name implies, the Operation Officer is responsible for the regiment “staying on the correct and intended route of march,” and also for the proper safety precautions and road-guide control during the entire march. The daily march-graph is made by, or, under the direction of the Operation Officer. This shows the rate of march, the distance to be traveled, the important towns, and the halts which are planned for the day’s march. Usually the plan found most satisfactory and adopted by the 1st Medical Regiment, is to have the Operation Officer leave the Bivouac Area about fifteen minutes ahead of the first serial of the convoy. Usually he has under his direct control a command car, and one or two trucks in which twenty-five to thirty men ride, and perhaps one or two motorcycles with or without the sidecars. These men should be especially trained as road guides and traffic control men. They should be chosen carefully for their intelligence, general reliability, neatness, and for their ability to be tactful and yet firm with civilian pedestrians and motorists. The Operation Officer posts these men at critical crossroads, road junctions, railroad crossings, and main intersections in towns and cities. They have the responsibility for the efficient and safe direction of the convoy past their respective critical points. If these men are not trustworthy, thoroughly reliable, and awake at their posts confusion and accidents may occur, and the orderly performance of the convoy will disappear on many occasions. At the tail of the entire column, just ahead of the maintenance section, a truck is detailed as the “pick-up truck.” This truck picks up the traffic control guides, and then at the next main halt delivers them to the Operation Officer once more. The Operation Officer, with the assistance of the Advance Agent, selects the site for the noonday halt.

The rolling hills of Missouri were thoroughly enjoyed that morning, and the atmosphere was cool and clear. We made excellent time, stopping for the noonday halt just about three miles east of Booneville, Missouri, historic spot of the Old Santa Fe Trail, and home of Kemper Military Academy, the oldest school of its kind in the West. The only accident of the entire trip occurred here. Staff Sergeant River, Company A, was hit by a speeding motorist and thrown from his motorcycle, but prompt first aid was administered to him and he continued with the column. In a few days he was fit as a fiddle. That afternoon as we rolled on toward Kansas City, the temperature began to soar and we easterners started to appreciate the heat of the Middle West. About 4:00 p.m. the convoy entered Kansas City, Missouri, and with motorcycle sirens sounding, it seemed as if the entire police force turned out to escort us through the city, which they did in a very commendable manner. We continued in the blazing to Lawrence, Kansas, where we remained overnight at the Haskell Indian Institute, as quest of that large U.S. Indian School. Here all the vehicles were serviced, and a complete change of oil and lubrication was accomplished. The authorities of the school were most generous in extending to us full use of their motor shops so that we could make several major repairs on the large two and one-half ton trucks. It would have been impossible to repair the transfer cases on these trucks without this very kind co-operation. Lawrence, once the scene of violent disputes over the slavery question, is now a peaceful center of education and culture, and many of the men took advantage of early “chow” to see the University of Kansas, and to inspect the Spooner-Thayer Museum of Art, and the Dyche Museum of Natural History, which are located there.

Early the next morning the regiment was again on the road with our destination for this run to be either Colyer or Wakeeney, Kansas, depending on which town offered the better campsite. It was the opinion of all concerned that this day was by far the hottest and the most tiring of the entire cross-country journey – the sun’s rays beat down on the convoy without mercy all day, forcing the regiment to halt quite frequently to change drivers. Soft drinks helped revive us from time to time – for the water in the canteens had become hot and almost unpalatable long before noontime. Unfortunately, soft drinks are not an article of issue in the Army. Some of us stopped off at Ft. Riley for a short visit with some friends in the Station Hospital, which helped a great deal, indeed, to break the monotony of that hot, unforgettable day’s ride. That night we stayed at the Fairgrounds in Wakeeney, Kansas, enjoyed a hot shower in the Municipal Building, and later that evening, a ball team, managed by Staff Sergeant John Mullarkey and composed of members of the regiment as a whole, played a soft ball game with a local team, and before a large crowd of fans, under the night lights, defeated the home team by a score of 8-6, in an exciting six-inning game.

The next day’s ride to Denver, Colorado, was uneventful and generally un-interesting until the beauty of the majestic Rockies came into view just east of the city. We went by Fitzsimons General Hospital on the outskirts of the town, the new hospital is in its last stage of being built, and finally arrived at Fort Logan, situated about ten miles southeast of Denver, at an elevation of about one mile, and seemingly at the base of the snow covered mountains. We bivouacked in the R.O.T.C. area, and enjoyed the hospitality of the 18th Engineers. The next morning all vehicles were re-gassed, the oil changed and completely lubricated by noontime, so that in the afternoon practically everyone was free to go on a sightseeing tour up to the last resting place of Buffalo Bill on top of Lookout Mountain, overlooking Denver and the surrounding country.

After that day of welcome rest, we started our trek westward again on the morning of the 22nd. Heading due north, we traveled on Highway 287, following the snow-capped mountains for about ninety miles or so, eating our lunch and re-gassing at Laramie, Wyoming. Although each vehicle carried an extra 10-gallon container of gasoline, we found from experience that it was necessary to refuel at noontime on any daily run of over 230 miles. Incidentally, the regiment made four daily marches of over 300 miles each.

Continuing throughout the day we traveled along at an altitude well over 6,500 feet. At first the scenery was interesting and new – the buttes, wide-open expanses, and the ever-present sagebrush – but after several hours, even the strangeness of these new sights wore off and once again we settled down to the business of “knocking off” those miles. Although this country is principally a cattle and sheep raising area, we saw very few of either, most of them being further north at this time of the year to escape the heat and drought. Mile after mile we went without seeing man, woman, or beast. The weather was perfect – not a cloud in the sky. On to Rawlins, Wyoming, we went, arriving at the Fairgrounds about 5.00 p.m. We had been scheduled to stop over at a CCC camp, but due to a recent outbreak of scarlet fever at the camp, our Advance Agent, Captain Martin, wisely decided that the Fairgrounds would be better. One strange note about Rawlins, that more than one of us noticed, was the fact that after 7:00 p.m., even on a Saturday night, it is practically impossible to obtain a haircut within a radius of several hundred miles. Even the barber shops in the hotels are shut tighter than a drum, while every other type of shop in the town is lit up brightly and doing a huge business.

Sunday, the 23rd was no day of rest for the 1st Medical Regiment, and we were on our way long before the town of Rawlins was awake. Twenty-six miles west of Rawlins, we passed over the Continental Divide (elevation 7,107 feet). As can be noted by looking carefully at the photograph, the climate had become decidedly colder.

Shortly after noontime, we came into old Fort Bridger, Wyoming, which was once a vital frontier army post, founded in 1843, by the famous frontiersman, Jim Bridger. Stopping long enough to stretch our legs and to eat our lunch, we also examined the ruins of the Fort, which included the stockade built in 1958, the old guard house, the stable of the Pony Express, museum, and officers’ quarters and barracks.

From Fort Bridger to Salt Lake City, the afternoon’s ride down through Echo and Parley’s Canyons was most interesting, following closely on the old trail used by Brigham Young and his followers many years before. Considering the roughness of the terrain, and steepness of the grades, it seemed a miracle how anyone without modern roads and conveniences could ever have made the trip that Brigham Young made on horseback and foot with his brave band of Mormons in the days when, in that country, roads were unknown.

We rested the next day, June 24, at Ft. Douglas, Utah (Salt Lake City), serviced the vehicles again, some of the men visiting the Post Barber, and in the afternoon many of us went out to Salt Air Beach, about twenty miles from Salt Lake City, and swam in the Great Salt Lake. Our stay in Salt Lake City and Ft. Douglas was most pleasant, especially for the writer, who received a letter from the War Department announcing his promotion to the rank of Captain, effective June 17. The beers were on him that evening.

Colonel Williams’ plan was to leave Ft. Douglas at 5:30 on the morning of June 25, so that we would cross the Great Salt Desert before the sun was very high in the skies, and while the desert was still cool. This was an excellent thought, and by so doing, we avoided the heat – in fact some of the regiment wore sweatshirts and mackinaws, and still were uncomfortably cold. By 10:00 a.m. we had reached Wendover, Utah, which is practically on the Utah-Nevada line. Here we had our first taste of Nevada, and the men quickly found that soft drinks and Cocoa Colas were ten cents, and beers were fifteen cents and upward. We continued over the mountains on excellent roads without difficulty and reached Battle Mountain, Nevada, about 4:00 p.m. We bivouacked on the ball park, and that evening the Officers’ Mess enjoyed the company of Lt. Col. Douglas II Mebane, M.C., for supper. Colonel Mebane, who had seen the convoy go through Elko, Nevada, in the afternoon, and who was on leave from the hospital at Fort Leavenworth, followed the convoy shortly thereafter to Battle Mountain. Soon after supper, the entire camp was attacked by hordes of the largest and most vicious mosquitoes we had ever seen. The inhabitants of the town seemed to be immune to their bites, and were rather amused at our feeble efforts with “oil of citronella”, etc. It was a lucky night for those of us who were fortunate enough to have mosquito bars – for it was our first experience with these pests since leaving Texas this past spring. Even the writer’s English setter sought relief and protection from them by crawling under a mosquito bar.

June 26 was an easy ride into the “Biggest Little Town in the World” – Reno. What an appropriate name for the town! Reno is truly that. We stayed at the Fair Grounds in the large clubhouse, which was soon to be the scene of the Reno Rodeo held in the first week of July. After supper, it can be truly said that the regiment “took over the town.” Most of us, including our hard working Mess and Post Exchange Officer, 1st Lt. Clifford Dangerfield, M.C., forgot our worries (goodness knows we all had them) for the evening and enjoyed the hospitality of some of the so called high-spots such as the Hotel Riverside, the Club 116, the Town House, and The Traverns.

Leaving Reno on June 27, we rode on into California and past the beautiful Donner Lake, then over the Sierra Nevada range, crossing by way of Donner Pass, and then finally down into the Sacramento Valley, arriving at the large Sacramento Valley, arriving at the large Sacramento Fair Grounds about 1:30 p.m., where we camped for the night. Coming down from an altitude of 8,500 feet to that of 30 feet in the course of a few hours made us feel as if we were coming into a burning furnace – but it was with satisfaction that we felt that our trip was fast coming to a close. With clean vehicles once more – the first real washing they had received since being on the Third Army Maneuvers – we rolled down from Sacramento on the 28th with a State Police escort the entire distance to Fort Ord, arriving at our new permanent station shortly after noontime – thus completing a 3,100 mile trip in fourteen days, of which two were rest days. The regiment may well be proud of its achievement in conducting the march without serious accident or injury to any of its personnel, and also for the rapidity of such a movement by motor convoy. Elaborate safety precautions were maintained continually during the entire trip. As soon as a roadside halt would be made, traffic control men were immediately posted at the head and tail of the column. These men, with red flags, were stationed about 75 yards ahead and on the opposite side of the highway, and to the rear of and on the same side of the road as the column. Their duty was to flag down oncoming motorist and to caution them to drive by the convoy slowly. It was found that large “Slow” signs were more satisfactory in accomplishing this than were the flags. All men dismounted from the right side of the vehicles, and the only men permitted alongside the left side of the vehicles were the drivers – and then only for the necessary motor vehicle inspections. Among those who complimented the regiment upon its splendid appearance and road discipline was Colonel Homer M. Groninger, Cavalry Commanding Officer of the Presidio of Monterey, and Post Commandant, Fort Ord, at the time Colonel Charles H. White, Infantry, former commander of the 29th Infantry at Fort Benning and now in charge of the R.O.T.C. at the University of California.

In conclusion, it is only fair to say that the morale and co-operation of the entire personnel, both officers and enlisted men, were superior during the entire trip, all of which aided materially in making this journey most pleasant. All of us will never forget the valuable experiences gained, both from the military standpoint, and otherwise, and I for one am most happy and feel most fortunate in being permitted to come to California overland with the 1st Medical Regiment.

END


Note: I would like to thank Dr Sanders Marble, Historian, Office of Medical History, Office of the Surgeon-General of the United States for sharing this article in 2009.


Note: Taken from an December 5, 1940, Oakland Tribune article: Another development at Fort Ord, Ca., was the announcement that the 1st Medical regiment will be among the corps troops of the Third Corps now being formed. The medical regiment has 500 officers and men in two battalions. It has extensive hospital and medical equipment and trucks to transport the equipment. Designed as the First Medical Train (First Sanitary Train), the regiment saw service overseas in 1917. During the last year of the war the outfit engaged in combat duty in France and has attached to its colors battle streamers from Mondidier – Noyon, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel Meuse Argonne, Lorraine and Pieardy. The regiment arrived at Fort Ord from Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania, in June of this year, and participated in maneuvers at Fort Lewis, Washington from July 27th to August 25th.


Note: A article in “The Fresno Bee” dated Sunday July 21, 1940 states in the article “50 Car Train Will Take Guardsmen to Annual Camp” that troops will go to the Fort Lewis, Maneuvers. Beside the Guardsmen Regular Army Troops will be there including the 11th Cavalry and 76th Field Artillery from the Monterey Presidio, 30th Infantry, San Francisco; 65th Coast Artillery, Fort Winfield Scott; 82nd Observation Squadron, Moffett Field; 19th Engineers and the 1st Medical Regiment, Fort Ord. So by July 21, 1940 the 1st Medical Regiment was at Fort Ord. The above article on the 1st Medical Regiment to Fort Ord was June 15, 1940 so it looks like right after they arrived at Fort Ord they went on the maneuvers to Fort Lewis.


CHRISTMAS 1941 FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL MENU AND ROSTER

C.A.S.C. UNIT NO. 1962

Note: C.A.S.C. (Corps Area Service Command) Unit No. 1962 (Station Complement) consisted of: DEML Hq. And Hq. Section, Q.M. Section, Medical Section, Veterinary Section, Chemical Warfare Section, Finance Section (attached), Det. 9th Ord., Service Company, Det. 8th Signal Service Company and 2nd branch of School for Bakers and Cooks. (1941 Panorama Newspaper, DLIFLC & POM Archives)

Note: DEML (Detached Enlisted Men's List) covered those MOS's not associated with any other branch of service. Enlisted men often were DEML, until they acquired military skills/MOSs. Dark Green piping on service cap.



1941 FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL CHRISTMAS MENU AND ROSTER

Season’s Greetings from:
The Commanding Officer, Officers, Nurses, Enlisted Men and Civilian Employees of the Station Hospital, Fort Ord, California.

MEDICAL SECTION
C.A.S.C. Unit No. 1962
Fort Ord, California

ROSTER

MESS OFFICER
Lt. Col. John R. Oswalt, M.C.

ASS’T MESS OFFICER
2nd Lt. John A. Miller, M.A.C. (Medical Administrative Corps)

HEAD DIETITIAN
Bernice Bowen

DIETITIANS
Marie Piekenbrock
Mary Ann McKee
Wordie Wood
Helen Vermeer

MESS STEWARDS
Mr. Sgt. Charles J. Shively
St. Sgt. John B. Beard

COMMANDING OFFICER
Colonel Henry L. Krafft, M.C.

DENTAL SURGEON
Colonel Raymond W. Pearson, D.C.

LIEUTENANT COLONELS
John R. Oswalt, M.C.
Earl V. Sheafe, M.C.
William S. Shuttleworth, D.C.
Ernest G. Nystrom, D.C.

MAJORS
John L. Gallagher, M.C.
Lawrence B. Hanson, M.C.
Paul E. Keller, M.C.
Hewett H. Robinson, M.C.
Arthur L. Streeter, M.C.
Ralph P. Chessall, M.C.
David J. Michaels, D.C.

CAPTAINS
Gerald F. Banks, M.C.
Charles B. Coggin, M.C.
William F. Coughlin, M.C.
Edwin H. Fink, D.C.
Burt Friedman, M.C.
San Gendel, M.C.
Jacob Grossblat, M.C.
Curtis M. Hanna, M.C.
Asher D. Havenhill, M.C.
Henry A. Hardt, SnC
Rolla B. Hess, M.C.
Jack C. Horner, M.C.
William Jesgar, M.C.
William D. Lane, D.C.
Elmer A. Lodmell, M.C.
Benjamin F. Miller, M.C.
George W. Morris, M.C.
Morten J. Murphy, M.C.
Merle W. Ogle, M.C.
John L. Pasmore, M.C.
David A. Pohlman, M.C.
William H. Riley, M.C.
Louis F. Saylor, M.C.
Louis B. Schoel, D.C.
Irving Schwartz, M.C.
Abraham B. Sirbu, M.C.
Oliver C. Stauffer, M.A.C. (Medical Administrative Corps)
Leon R. Walker, M.C.
Alfred S. White, M.C.
Harry A. Zide, M.C.
John T. Zigrang, D.C.

FIRST LIEUTENANTS
Arthur J. Abramson, M.C.
Leo E. Baisinger, M.C.
Harold H. Bergman, M.C.
George W. Brownridge, D.C.
Joseph S. Calcagno, M.C.
James H. Campbell, M.C.
Don S. Challed, M.C.
Keith W. Corp, M.C.
Lloyd M. Cox, D.C.
James W. Creed, M.C.
Raymond H. Curtner, D.C.
Benjamin Dienstein, D.C.
John R. Eggleston, M.C.
Sidney M. Falk, M.C.
Bernard R. Glass, M.C.
Justin J. Haberer, M.C.
Stuart D. King, M.C.
Charles L. Lecker, M.A.C. (Medical Administrative Corps)
Edward J. Maher, Jr., M.C.
William J. Mitchell, M.C.
Herbert L. Moore, M.C.
William M. Nethery, M.C.
Alfred M. Palmer, M.C.
Raymond E. Piner, SnC
Richard J. Ravizza, D.C.
Lucien A. Remy, D.C.
Richard C. Sherettz, M.C.
Ernest E. Simard, M.C.
Gordon D. Skeoch, M.C.
John F. Terstegge, M.A.C.
William H. Trimble, D.C.
Edward E. Wheeler, D.C.
Elmer F. Ziegler, M.C.

SECOND LIEUTENANTS
James B. Black, M.A.C. (Medical Administrative Corps) John A. Miller, M.A.C.

ARMY NURSE CORPS

CHIEF NURSE
Clara G. Washington

NURSES
Amanda Aadland
Ruth E. Allair
Gladys V. Allen
Dorothy R. Anzeline
Gladys P. Beek
Geraldine Been
Margie M. Beliveau
Hazel Belsit
Comfort A. Berry
Hannah M. Borgers
Evelyn B. Brown
Mary S. Browne
Phyllis N. Burns
Stella Clouse
Margaret M. Conerty
Donna A. Dallas
Naomi E. Danielson
Lois L. Dealy
Edith D. Dodson
Emma Dick
Lucille C. Divine
Virginia H. Echerd
Marion D. Edwards
Claire E. Fearn
Grace E. File
Ella L. Fleming
Ruth Alice Frost
Dorothy J. Fryer
Freda J. Galloway
Marcella H. Gattermeyer
Doris R. Goatley
Pauline Goodman
Eva L. Grandbois
Betty E. Hall
Florence P. Hall
Jeanne C. Harder
Carrol Harvey
Doris M. Harvey
Esther R. Hogarth
Kathryn L. Hoffman
Nora E. Homelvig
Leavon I. Hutchison
Margaret J. Kelly
Inga E. Kivela
Christine Kording
Angeline Landa
Unis A. Larson
Martha Leader
Annabelle G. Lee
Ethel E. Livesley
Leona P. Lohrenz
Margaret L. Lomen
Frances C. Mantor
Marian E. Martini
Viola I. Mayer
Floretta V. McKeeth
Hattie Meyer
Irene A. Mills
Mary H. Mixsell
Regina Mummert
Elisabeth A. Murphy
Eda M. Nielsen
Ruth H. Olivit
Edith Pavkov
Evelyn H. Rice
Vivian E. Robinson
Elsie M. Rogers
Gertrude M. Smith
Winifred M. Snell
Hazel M. Squibb
Betty Stark
Texana N. Stepp
Harriet E. Stich
Margaret E. Thomas
Neola A. Thurneau
Helen M. Townsend
Ina Gladys Tucci
Florence M. Vehmeier
Mona Ward
Eurath St. Ena Wenburg
Irma C. Wilson
Ina V. Whitcomb
Erena Witmer
Alice S. Yeager


ENLISTED MEN

MASTER SERGEANTS
Cox, Fletcher R.
Schmeller, Herbert C.
Shively, Charles J.
Smizer, Arthur L.

FIRST SERGEANTS
Johnson, Overton
Nichols, Claude R.

TECHNICAL SERGEANTS
Barker, Chester
Battenberg, George W.
Boyes, Alfred W.
Cooley, Eldon G.
Lewis, Charles R.
May, Sidney A.
Ruiczka, James
Russell, Hugh K.
Simmons, Richard W.

STAFF SERGEANTS
Beard, John B.
Bennett, Norman L.
Bible, Charles H.
Bradshaw, James D.
Button, John H.
Cody, Richard R.
Cullivan, Raymond P.
DiVittorio, Philip
Dixon, Preston R.
Edwards, Harry
Giltz, Milton G.
Goodrich, Alton F.
Goodwin, Kenneth E.
Jones, Jr., Grant G.
Kindred, Vance A.
Ksiazkiewicz, Martin S.
Lamb, Bernard J.
Moore, Henry K.
Paul, Otis B.
Simmons, Paul C.
Simpson, Thomas M.
Stentiford, Benjamin F., Jr.
Stoeckle, Edward T.
Stoughton, John S.
Tolagson, Clarence F., Jr.

SERGEANTS
Admire, Elmer E.
Archer, Robert P.
Atkinson, Jesse M.
Barnes, Frank A.
Beck, Stewart G.
Brolliar, Lester T.
Burgin, William R.
Byrtus, Joe G.
Daulton, Frank R.
Davidson, Freddie T.
Deere, William R.
Duggan, James V.
Dydynski, John A.
Eisner, Oscar
Ekstrom, Carl D.
Esque, Jess F.
Favara, Dominic Jr.
Fritzinger, Edward V.
Garrett, Arvel D.
Gregory, Frank E.
Hart, Wilbur L.
Helms, James W.
Hites, Jay E.
Holmes, Richard W.
Jakabosky, Raymond B.
Kimes, Ralph E.
Kuester, Francis R.
Landingham, Faye E.
Levine, Albert
Lumsden, Marshall E.
Magee, Harold O. Jr.
May, Lester N.
McAdam, Alexander D.
McCarty, John G.
Oaks, Ray L.
Payrow, Frank A.
Price, Von Santon N.
Quartararo, Louis A.
Ramey, Arthur R.
Sanders, Merritt S.
Short, LaVern
Standing Elk, Bernard
Stoddard, Floyd F.
Towle, Wayne J.
Tucker, Bill J.
Tucker, Harry L.
Vicary, Chester T.
Wallace, Guy A.
West, Luther K.
Williams, Mason L., Jr.
Wilson, Jack J.

CORPORALS
Alexander, George K.
Applestone, Leon J.
Beaudry, LeRoy S.
Beckner, Robert R.
Bomar, Carl
Boshears, Chester C.
Cederburg, Everett C.
Clayton, Laurence
Deburk, Charles W.
Dietemeyer, Ralph C.
Farmer, Melvin W.
Fawcett, William R., Jr.
Flanagan, Harold T.
Hain, Robert W.
Hall, Harry J.
Hart, Lorin S.
Hisel, Andrew E.
Hooper, Frank L.
Huntington, Dale R.
Jackson, Andrew E.
Kaus, Beecher E.
Knapp, Leonard R.
Legoski, Paul J.
Macsenti, William E.
Mangano, Joseph N.
Perry, Francis L.
Petrie, Thomas W.
Roeland, Clarence J.
Shafer, Jack D.
Shamphan, William A.
Simmons, Billy M.
Simmons, James T.
Skidmore, Romeo F.
Souza, Joaquin L.
Swarm, Robert L.
Taylor, Nuel L.
Tripp, Fred E.
Vaughn, Clifford L.
Vigo, Remo
Wright, Coy B.
Want, Patrick J.
Young, Howard L.

PRIVATES FIRST CLASS
Anderson, Raymond L.
Anthony, Eddie A.
Aragon, Joseph M.
Auchard, Lewis R.
Avant, Harold R.
Bechtold, Christian L.
Beideck, Rudolph R.
Belcastro, Mike A.
Belick, Jack W., Jr.
Biltz, Bernard O.
Bloberger, Vincent S.
Bobb, Martin L.
Brenden, Roy C.
Brewer, James B.
Briner, Charles E.
Brink, Norman
Brookman, Francis
Brouqua, Antonine J.
Brown, Robert
Bryant, Harris D.
Bulgrin, Alex P.
Carranza, Cruz R.
Chatfield, Norman R.
Christensen, Oscar L.
Christian, William P.
Clark, Robert E.
Clay, Stanley
Clouse, Mack J.
Coffee, Frank C.
Conley, Joseph A.
Corella, Joseph A.
Crow, Raymond G.
Dando, Robert L.
Dominick, Carmen J.
Driscoll, Walter E.
Ekwall, John M.
Emal, Philip B.
English, Mauirce C., Jr.
Evans, Wilfred N.
Farmer, Charles H.
Fields, Charles P.
Fletcher, John T., Jr.
Fosdick, Horace S.
Fowler, Daniel B.
Freitas, Leonard
Galer, Floyd E.
Gatewood, Moody Jr.
Gray, Robert W.
Guild, John F.
Gutierrez, Vidal G.
Hartman, Ludwig A.
Harvell, Virgil K.
Hendrix, John W.
Herbert, LeRoy
Hill, Roy C.
Hollenbeak, Leland A.
Hosinski, Anthony A.
Hughes, Leland W.
Huntington, Arvoid R.
Jackson, Raymond M.
James, Robert G.
Jefferson, Harold V.
Jenks, Willard C.
Jewell, Franklin C.
Johnson, Alvin D.
Jones, John A., Jr.
Jones, Jack J.
Judkins, Harold L.
Katona, Edward
Kawase, Kenjii
Keeling, Howard L.
Kissee, Walter L.
Kliessle, Irving C.
Krum, Alfred
Kruse, Everett L.
LeDoux, Oliver G.
Legoski, George
Lopez, Albert J.
Lopez, Louie M.
Lovejoy, Miles W.
Lystra, Clarence R.
Main, James S.
Manning, Grover A.
Marshall, Stuart B., Jr.
Martin, Thomas E.
Massie, Hubert S.
Mathews, Clayton R.
Mattis, Bill C.
Mazzoncini, James P.
McGee, Lee R.
McKitterick, John E., Jr.
Meth, Bernhart
Mickelson, Irvine A.
Moore, John E.
Moshier, Francis R.
Mumford, Harold D.
Muramoto, Dave H.
Nishimoto, Yorio R.
Nomura, Masachi
Olague, Daniel L.
Oswald, William J.
Parker, John D.
Parodi, Victor M.
Parrish, Norman E.
Partridge, Charles H.
Payne, Charles F.
Payne, G.C.
Pellegrini, Alfred P.
Peoples, Richard L.
Pera, George L.
Petty, Henry W.
Pfister, Alfred
Pratt, Harry B.
Przybyla, William
Puccetti, Nello A.
Pulliam, Henry F.
Pyle, Raymond P.
Rabesa, William
Remirez, Charles
Reedy, Rodney W.
Regnani, Paul S.
Riggle, George M.
Rivas, Fernando A.
Robertson, George J., Jr.
Robinson, Lewis J.
Rodgers, Stewart
Rodriguez, Marco M.
Rogers, Francis M.
Romero, Harold B.
Ruckman, George H.
Russell, William A.
Samuelson, Alfred H.
Sanchez, Richard A.
Sanda, Mike Y.
Scroggs, Clarence L.
Sexton, George A.
Shimizu, Jimmy T.
Silviera, Anthony A.
Simonsen, Victor L.
Smith, Roscoe C., Jr.
Sollazzi, Louis
Stigler, Roger C.
Strauss, Abe
Terry, Joseph C.
Teter, Herman F.
Thacker, Wilburn E.
Thomas Edward
Thompson, Gurnie T.
Thompson, William W.
Torres, Joaquin
Tucker, Frank R.
Vassos, James D.
Vaughn, Robert T.,Jr.
Vella, Carlo C.
Villarreal, Edward M.
Waldear, Gordon F.
Walker, Stewart G.
Warmboe, Terrance J.
Weaver, William G., Jr.
Wehman, Charles A.
Williams, William A.
Wilson, Jack E.
Winblad, Earl V.
Winn, Ralph C.
Wirth, Rolla F.
Wood, Leonard S.
Woods, Frank W.
Yamaguchi, Keiichi
Yearick, Charles W.
Young, Archie L.
Young, Walter
Zeug, Walter F.
Zielinski, John S.

PRIVATES
Abram, George L.
Alexander, Ralph S.
Atteridge, Arthur C.
Ault, Gordon
Baker, Ralph A.
Baker, Sherman H.
Binsse, Alfred L.
Boepple, Lester H.
Bohannon, James P.
Bongar, John
Bosley, Maurice J.
Braswell, Jack E.
Broussal, Leon F.
Brown, Travis C.
Brown Eyes, Lenart
Burgess, Charles R.
Capes, William J.
Cardoza, Manuel P.
Carreon, Walter S.
Chartier, George W.
Chase, John S.
Christ, John H.
Christopher, Thomas M.
Church, John A.
Cody, William A.
Cole, Gilbert
Coon, Richard J.
Craft, Ike L.
Croft, Robert L.
Easley, Elmo R.
Edwards, Victor H.
Felciano, LaVerne J.
Feltner, Harold L.
Frenna, Dewey J.
Goldstop, George
Goodman, Joe
Green, Arthur
Gugich, Peter J.
Guild, John M.
Hall, Raymond E.
Haskins, Lewis E.
Hinojos, Joe A.
Hitch, Eugene J.
Hodges, Samuel E.T.
Hoff, Joseph M.
Johnson, Arthur L.
Keilch, Ralph L.
Kilgus, John M.
Koby, Albert A.
Kujala, Alfred E.
Lakey, Thomas T.
Laughton, Ray A.
Lee, Jiles L.
Lewis, Ernest E.
Little, Frederick B.
Lloyd, Curtis A.
Loewen, Samuel
Macartney, Keith
Ma Lum, Joseph
Marchioli, Charles R.
Marshall, Gerald A.
Martin, Jack H.
Meadows, Vance W.
Mitchell, Robert W.
Myers, Carl T.
Neighman, Joseph A.
Nelson, Archie E.
Nichols, Ray D.
O’Dowd, Cash L.
Ortiz, Edward C.
Pankey, Ralph O.
Parrish, Osmer G.
Poulson, Joseph I.
Pressley, Bennie F.
Pribulsky, John
Rapacky, John D.
Ring, William F.
Rose, Bobbie L.
Roseth, Harold O.
Scafani, Pasquale S.
Scanlan, Roger J.
Seffens, Lawrence B.
Sept, Arnold J.
Sheafer, John T.
Shepherd, Felix T.
Silva, Frank A., Jr.
Sims, Clyde M.
Steele, Walter
Stokes, Harry L.
Sturla, Richard J.
Tarasoff, Mike N.
Tate, Clifford C., Jr.
Tate, Richard J.
Teatch, Jack T.
Tenney, George R.
Ticknor, William W.
Toy, Allan C.
Van Buren, Robert F.
Vaughn, Ace J.
Voss, William L.
Wallace, Leslie L.
Walsh, William J.
Wardlaw, John R.
Wayne, Gilbert G.
Wells, John W.
Mastrangelo, Elio


SEVENTH SURGICAL HOSPITAL
Fort Ord, California

COMMANDING OFFICER
Major Jonathan M. Rigdon, M.C.

CAPTAINS
Jacob S. Brody, M.A.C. (Medical Administrative Corps)
James I. Mason, M.C.

SECOND LIEUTENANT
Grove Bixby, M.A.C.

ENLISTED MEN

MASTER SERGEANT
William G. Yates

TECHNICAL SERGEANT
Charles H. Crain

FIRST SERGEANT
Fred E. Millikin

STAFF SERGEANTS
Charles R. Fursman
Willard J. Krout
Andrew T. Sutton

SERGEANTS
Thomas M. Klouda
Stanley K. Oleson
Gus Ormbrek
Raymond E. Peterson

CORPORALS
Herman S. Anderson
Steven J. Morin

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Alvie R. Branstetter
Frank E. Bryant
Loyal V. Fraker
Mitsusuke Fujimoto
Henry Y. Hayashida
Francis M. Kiely
Leo J. Knudson
Joseph P. McCarthy
Willard L. Moody
Glendal D. Nichols
Susumu Okamoto
Gordon M. Olson
Joseph Olson
Archie L. Randall
Robert L. Rowland
Fay E. Saman
Freddie A. Scharf
Herbert C. Tallman
William V. Townsend
Oscar H. Woodworth

PRIVATES
Roy Ashizawa
Eli A. Basta
Raphael J. Berger
Paul E. Biship
Albert B. Campbell
George T. Carlson
Kenneth D. Claus
Ernest J. Coviello
Jules T. Devoile
Arist G. Dioties
Stephen E. Dulude
Ralph T. Gellett
Russell D. Graham
Merle R. Herrill
Leslie H. Hobart
Loren E. Holmes
Gerald Jones
James Jones Jr.
Virgil E. Knight
Walter E. Kuball
Frank Lancaster
Myron J. Levy
Charles Luger
Owen S. Luoma
Michael J. Malo
Robert A. Markson
Irwin W. McCauly
Kenneth R. Norcutt
Morris V. Olson
Edmund J. O’Neil
Reynold R. Perkuhn
Ralph W. Richards
Raymond W. Richardson
Thomas Risley
Clifford L. Rollins
Lewis V. Roth
Morris Simmons
Dean W. Spille
Masao Tanamachi
Herbert D. Thorsen
Walter R. Torning
James A. Wicorek
Donald W. Young



FORT ORD STATION HOSPITAL BUILDINGS (MAIN GARRISON) 1940'S


Ward, capacity 33-beds, typical of buildings: T-3023 to T-3028 incl., T-3031 to T-3035 incl., T-3042 to T-3048 incl., T-3053, T-3054, T-3055, T-3062, T-3063, T-3023, T-3065 to T-3074 incl.


Ward, capacity 33-beds, typical of buildings: T-3023 to T-3028 incl., T-3031 to T-3035 incl., T-3042 to T-3048 incl., T-3053, T-3054, T-3055, T-3062, T-3063, T-3023, T-3065 to T-3074 incl.


Ward, capacity 26-beds, Fort Ord Hospital, Typical buildings: T-3020, T-3021, T-3022, T-3036, T-3037, T-3038, T-3040, T-3041, T-3056, T-3057, T-3058, T-3060, T-3061


Ward, capacity 26-beds, Fort Ord Hospital, Typical buildings: T-3020, T-3021, T-3022, T-3036, T-3037, T-3038, T-3040, T-3041, T-3056, T-3057, T-3058, T-3060, T-3061


Ward, capacity 25-beds, typical of buildings: T-3076, T-3077, T-3078.


Ward, capacity 25-beds, typical of buildings: T-3076, T-3077, T-3078.


Hospital Administration building T-3010, Fort Ord, California


Hospital Administration building T-3010, Fort Ord, California


Hospital Barracks, 54-men. Typical of buildings T-3081 to T-3090, Fort Ord, California


Hospital Barracks, 54-men. Typical of buildings T-3081 to T-3090, Fort Ord, California


Clinic G.U., building T-3002, Fort Ord, California


Clinic G.U., building T-3002, Fort Ord, California


Clinic Laboratory building T-3029, Fort Ord, California


Clinic Laboratory building T-3029, Fort Ord, California


Clinic building T-3030, Fort Ord, California


Clinic building T-3030, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (DC-2), T-1539, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (DC-2), building T-1539, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (DC-2), building T-1539, equipment installed, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (11 chairs) building T-3000, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (11 chairs), T-3000, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (25 chairs), T-2250, Fort Ord, California


Dental Clinic (25 chairs), T-2250, Fort Ord, California


Infirmary, typical of buildings: T-2380, T-2580, T-3001, (East Garrison buildings: T-6, T-21)


Infirmary, typical of buildings: T-2380, T-2580, T-3001, (East Garrison buildings: T-6, T-21)


Mess Hall , typical example of mess hall. building number T-3091


Mess Hall, typical example of mess hall. building number T-3006


Morgue, capacity 9 bodies, building T-3111, Fort Ord, California


Morgue, capacity 9 bodies, building T-3111, Fort Ord, California


Physiotherapy, building T-3049, Fort Ord, California


Physiotherapy, building T-3049, Fort Ord, California


Nurse’s quarters, 14 nurses, building T-3003, Fort Ord, California


Nurse’s quarters, 14 nurses, building T-3003, Fort Ord, California


Hospital quarters, 18-nurses, typical of buildings: T-3005, T-3007, T-3011, T-3017.


Hospital quarters, 18-nurses, typical of buildings: T-3005, T-3007, T-3011, T-3017.


Hospital quarters, capacity 24-nurses, typical of buildings: T-3008, T-3012, T-3013, T-3014, T-3015, T-3016, T-3018.


Hospital quarters, capacity 24-nurses, typical of buildings: T-3008, T-3012, T-3013, T-3014, T-3015, T-3016, T-3018.


Hospital recreation building (Type HR-4), building T-3051, Fort Ord, California


Hospital recreation building (Type HR-4), building T-3051, Fort Ord, California


Hospital recreation building (Type HR-4), building T-3051, equipment installed, Fort Ord, California


HOSPITAL RECREATION CENTER OPENS 1941
Fort Ord Panorama Newspaper, December 1941

The first Red Cross Hospital Recreation unit west of the Mississippi was opened Tuesday afternoon of this week.

The recreation building, which was constructed by the government and turned over to the Red Cross for administration contains a large room, where movies will be shown several times a week, a reading room with a library, and lounge rooms for the benefit of the convalescent patients in the hospital.

The dedication ceremony was in the nature of a transcription, which was played later in the week over station KDON, of Monterey, and by a San Francisco station.

The program M.C’d by Pvt. Wayne Anderson of the 1st Medical Regiment consisted of music by the 32nd Infantry Band, remarks by Colonel Mason, Post Commander, and A. L. Shafer, manager of the Pacific Area of the Red Cross, Mrs. Fawn Post Trowbridge, principal hostess of the 7th Division singing “Angels of Mercy” a new song by Irving Berlin dedicated to the Red Cross, an address by Colonel Henry L. Kraft, commander of the Station Hospital, solo by Sgt. Jim Tulson of the 32nd Infantry and interviews with six convalescent soldiers, who were among the 300 patients in attendance at the opening.



Boiler House, Hospital, capacity: 4-Boilers, building T-3110, completed January 31, 1941, Fort Ord, California.


Boiler House, Hospital, capacity: 4-Boilers, building T-3110, completed January 31, 1941, Fort Ord, California.


The red dot marks the Fort Ord Station Hospital being built in the November 1940. DLIFLC & POM Archives


Another view of Fort Ord Station Hospital being built in the November 1940. DLIFLC & POM Archives


In April 11, 1940 the Fort Ord Station Hospital is about completed as being shown on the left center of the picture. DLIFLC & POM Archives


Layout of the hospital and other area of Fort Ord. DLIFLC & POM Archives


The entrance to the hospital was roughly in the area where the old Red Cross Building and chapel is today.


Post Chapel (T-2661) and Red Cross Building (T-2662) at Fort Ord, California 1941 these buildings have been restored and are in use today. DLIFLC & POM Archives


September 1941 blue print of the Fort Ord Station Hospital. Red dots mark the hospital's headquarters and main entrance. And also the Red Cross buildings, Post Chapel and Station Veterinary Hospital. DLIFLC & POM Archives

THE FORT ORD HOSPITAL IS LOCATED:
North: 12th Street
South: 9th Street
West: 3rd Avenue
East: 4th Avenue


T-3107 and T-3106 (connected) are some of the few remaining hospital buildings still standing. According to the blue prints they are labeled HB-54 (Hospital Barracks 54 men) They are located on the eastside of 4th Avenue and owned by the Marina Water District. According to the Marina Water District they will torn down. The Station Veterinary Hospital is up on the hill.


Hospital quarters, 18-nurses, typical of buildings: T-3005, T-3007, T-3011, T-3017.


The third buildings from the left is T-3104 (white colored) and at the present time are Marina Water District offices.

UPDATED PICTURES OF HOSPITAL BARRACKS T-3107, T-3106 AND T-3104 MARCH 5, 2010


A view looking down 4th Avenue at T-3107, T-3106 (connected)and T-3104 (Water District Office) are some of the few remaining hospital buildings still standing. According to the blue prints they are labeled T-3107, T-3106 (connected) HB-54 (Hospital Barracks 54 men). On a trip to Fort Ord on March 5, 2010 I noticed the old buildings in this area have been fenced in.


Hospital Barracks T-3107, T-3106 (connected) (HB-54 Hospital Barracks 54 men) on 4th Avenue.


Hospital Barracks T-3107, T-3106 (connected) (HB-54 Hospital Barracks 54 men) on 4th Avenue.


Hospital Barracks T-3107, T-3106 (connected) (HB-54 Hospital Barracks 54 men) on 4th Avenue.


Hospital Barrack T-3104 (Water District Office)


View of Hospital Barrack T-3104 (Water District Office) on the left, in the back ground are is part of the WW2 Prisoner of War Camp buildings and on the hill is the Station Veterinary Hospital and barrack T-3132 (45 men barrack)


View of Hospital Barrack T-3106 on the left and what remains of the WW2 Prisoner of War Camp buildings in the back ground.

The building between 4th Avenue the Station Veterinary Hospital (5th Ave) is the location of the WW2 Prisoner of War Camp that housed German and Italy prisoners.


UPDATE ON THE OLD HOSPITAL GROUNDS ON THE CORNER OF 3RD AVENUE AND 12TH STREET


Looking down 3rd Avenue from the corner of 3rd Ave and 12th Street, Imjin Parkway is in the distance, beyond would have been the entrance to the Fort Ord Station Hospital on the left. Look at the above blue print for the location.

View of the old Fort Ord WW2 prison stockade and old Station Hospital location area, March 2009 taken from T-3132 (Station Veterinary Barrack) looking west. At the present time the Marina Water District occupies these buildings. 9th Street running east to west is on the left side of this picture and 4th Avenue is below running north to south. Look at the above blue print for the location.

View of the old Fort Ord Station Hospital location area, March 2010 looking south and west. Left to right: Station Veterinary Hospital (Marina Equestrian Center). The old WW2 German and Italian Prisoner Camp buildings (Marina Water District Offices) beyond this area would have been the station hospital. On the left beyond the water district office would have been the salvage yard area, which became the WAC barrack area between 8th St, 9th St. and 3rd Avenue. And beyond the last building on the right in the above picture is the Red Cross buildings and Post Chapel, which are still there today. To the right are the Corps area barracks (still standing on the hill) the old Post Headquarters with the red tile roof and Imjin Parkway is on the very right.


Fort Ord Station Hospital opens Feb 10 1941 but was not fully functional until March.


FORT ORD BUILDINGS, COMPLETION REPORT PICTURES 1941-1942

Click on the below link:

Fort Ord Buildings, Completion Report Pictures 1941-1942


Return to 7th Division Headquarters Building, Fort Ord, 1941 WW2, General Stilwel homepage:

7TH DIVISION HEADQUARTERS BUILDING, FORT ORD, 1941 WW2, GENERAL STILWELL
7th Division Headquarters Building, Fort Ord, 1941 WW2, General Stillwell



Click on the below Homepage links:

FORT ORD U.S. ARMY STATION VETERINARY HOSPITAL (HORSE) WW2
Click on the below link:
Fort Ord U.S. Army Station Veterinary Hospital (Horse) WW2


11TH CAVALRY PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1919 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
11th Cavalry Presidio of Monterey, 1919 to 1940


76TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1922 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
76th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Battalion


THE ARMY VETERINARY SERVICE DURING THE GREAT WAR, WW1
Click on the below link:
The Army Veterinary Service During the Great War, WW1


SERGEANT LEONARD MURPHY VETERINARY HOSPITAL NO. 18, A.E.F., WW1
Click on the below link:
Sergeant Leonard Murphy Veterinary Hospital No. 18, A.E.F., WW1


Sign Our Guestbook

Name:
Email:

If you would like to leave a comment about this Research Website please leave me a post. Please e-mail me with questions. If you do not want to leave your name or e-mail address in the guest book just make up one. A name and e-mail address must be filled in to leave any comments. We welcome your comments!




U.S. ARMY VETERINARY CORPS HISTORICAL PRESERVATION GROUP

Motto: “Illic est Vires in Numerus” There is Strength in Numbers

“Working Hard to Preserve Our Country’s History wherever it is being lost”

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group is a group of individuals that are concerned about the preservation of the History of the Veterinary Corps, Remount Service and Cavalry or wherever our country’s history is being lost in conjunction with our beloved “Horse and Mule”. There is no cost to join and membership is for life. We believe by uniting together in numbers we will be a more powerful force to be heard. Our membership list is private and only used to contact our members. Email us and become a member.

Greg Krenzelok
gregkrenzelok@msn.com

FACEBOOK: U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group

Click on the below link:

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group