Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

AUXILIARY REMOUNT DEPOT NO 328 WW1


This page belongs to greg krenzelok.


AUXILIARY REMOUNT DEPOT NO 328 WW1


Note: I would like to thank Ben Guttery for posting this wonderful booklet on Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328 – Greg Krenzelok Veterinary Corps Website.

THE WORLD’S WAR

1917-1918-1919

AUXILIARY REMOUNT DEPOT NO. 328

Camp Bowie

Fort Worth, Texas 1919

Dedicated to:
The men who at the call of the President came forth from the city, the Country, and the plains of Texas and Oklahoma to do what they could to make the world safe for Democracy.

The Democracy creating the basis of our construction thereby establishing our cherished institutions making the melting pot of the alien possible, and the education of the World’s best Soldiers, a warning to all making war against women and children.

E.S. PHILLIPS

Photos by Jernigan Studio, Fort Worth, Texas


Major E.S. Phillips, Q.M. Corps
Commanding Officer

BRIEF HISTORY
Born in Aurora, Illinois, 1880. In National Guard 1896-1898 Sergeant Spanish American Wars 1898, Porto Rico Campaign. In National Guard, various capacities from 1900 to 1908

Qualified Captain of Infantry A.G.O. 42 February 1, 1916. Entered U.S. service June 20, 1917, as Captain Q.M.C. Promoted Major June 15, 1918 Stationed at Fort Sam Houston, Texas; Fort Bliss, Texas; Camp Pike and Ft. Logan H. Roots, Ark.; Camp Zackary Taylor, Louisville, Ky; Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla.; Camp McArthur, Waco, Texas; and Camp Bowie, Fort Worth, Texas.

Remount Service in France; Remount Depot No 1, Montiers Sur Saulx; Remount Depot No. 23, Sougy Nievre; Special Remount work at Verdun and St. Mihiel.


Captain Ernest Stecker, Q.M.C.

Enlisted at Baltimore, Md., June 14, 1882, at age of 17 years. Served in Troops G, H, K, and M, 7th U.S. Cavalry from enlistment until Sept. 23, 1898. Appointed Post Quartermaster Sergeant, Sept. 24, 1898. Promoted to Second Lieutenant Philippine Scouts, June 8, 1904. Retired from active service, Sept. 21, 1910. Assigned to active duty as Captain Q.M.C., Dec. 17, 1917. Served as Sergeant Major 1st U.S. Vol. Cavalry (Roosevelt Rough Riders) during the Spanish War. Served as U.S. Indian Agent January 1, 1908 to Dec. 31, 1017


HISTORY OF AUXILIARY REMOUNT DEPOT No. 328

From September 1, 1917 to March 1, 1919

By Captain Ernest Stecker

ESTABLISHNENT

The Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328 is located about two miles west of Fort Worth, Texas, and occupies about sixty-five acres southeast of and adjoining Camp Bowie.

The depot is not essentially a part of Camp Bowie, but under the jurisdiction of the camp headquarters only in matters of sanitation, discipline, and general court martial.

The function of the depot consists chiefly of receiving, issuing, shipping and care of animals of the army; and it the training of soldiers in the lines of work connected therewith, such as wagon and pack transportation, horseshoeing, duties of stable sergeants, farriers and saddles.

The barracks, mess halls, office buildings, officer’ quarters, warehouses, horseshoers’ school, etc., compose one group, the stables and corrals of the wagon company, the riding horses, the Veterinary Corps, and the pack train compose another group; while the veterinary hospital with their corrals and the large corrals comprise the third and largest group.

The actual life of the depot began on September 1, 1917, when Captain John S. Hunt, Q.M.R.C. took command with Mr. R.B. Wolf as chief clerk, and six officers of the Veterinary Corps as assistants. The first animals were received September 8, 1917, from Fort Worth. At this time the buildings and corrals were not completed, and much construction work has since been accomplished, both by the camp constructing quartermaster, and by the enlisted carpenter detail of the depot.


PERSONNEL

Officers – Since the establishment of the depot up to March 1, 1919, there have been five different officers in command, while there have been numerous changes among the subordinate officers. The following sketch shows the term of service at the depot of each Quartermaster Corps Officer;

STANLEY KOCH, Major Q.M. Corps – Assigned to duty at depot as Commanding Officer per instructions Q.M.G.O. Joined January 17, 1918; transferred to Hoboken, N.J., for overseas duty per telegram A.G.O. March 2, 1918; left station March 10, 1918.

ELMER S. PHILLIPS, Major Q.M. Corps – Assigned to duty as Commanding Officer of depot per telegram A.G.O., January 19, 1919. Joined January 25, 1919.

CHARLES L. SCOTT, Major Q.M. Corps – Assigned to duty as Commanding Officer of depot per telegram A.G.O. March 25, 1918. Joined April 1, 1918. Transferred to Fort Keogh, Mont., per telegram A.G.O., June 19, 1918. Left station June 21, 1918

JOHN STEWARD HUNT, Captain Q.M.C., U.S.R. – Assigned to duty per Special Orders 193, War Department, August 26, 1917. Ordered to Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., January 2, 1918, left station Jan. 14, 1918

OLIVER L. OVERMYER, Captain Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as Quartermaster and Adjutant per telegram A.G.O., November 19, 1917. Joined December 2, 1917. Transferred to Camp Logan, Houston, Texas, per telegram, A.G.O. December 4, 1917. Left station December 9, 1917

ERNEST STECKER, Captain Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as Quartermaster and Adjutant per telegram A.G.O., December 17, 1917. Commanded depot January 15-17, 1918, March 11-31, 1918, June 22, 1918, to January 25, 1919

GEORGE A. SCOTT, Captain Q.M.C., U.S.R. – Assigned to duty as Commanding Officer of Wagon Company, Special Order No. 278, War Department, Dec. 10, 1917. Joined December 22, 1917

LAWRENCE H. ARMOUR, First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. – Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer, Special Order No. 289, War Department. Joined December 27, 1917. Transferred to O.A.M.G., Washington D.C., per telegram, A.G.O., February 4, 1918. Left station February 5, 1918

PAT C. WINFREE, First Lieutenant Q.M.C. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., September 15, 1918. Joined September 17, 1918. Transferred to A.R.D. at Camp Pike, Arkansas, per telegram A.G.O., February 3, 1919. Left station February 10, 1919

CHARLES A. COTTON, First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. – Appointed First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A., from quartermaster sergeant, senior grade, Q, M.C., July 12, 1918, per telegram A.G.O. same date, and assigned to duty at depot as assistant to commander officer. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., September 21, 1918

RICHARD S. CLARK, First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer, Special Order No. 47, War Department, February 26, 1918. Joined March 2, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., June 14, 1918. Left station June 21, 1918

JAMES T. BURTIS, First Lieutenant Q.M.C. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., September 29, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., October 4, 1918. Left station October 8, 1918

WILLIAM E. DURHAM, First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A., First Lieutenant Q.M., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., June 19, 1918. Joined June 20, 1918

CLYDE E. HEBARD, First Lieutenant Q.M.C. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., September 24, 1918. Joined October 23, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., October 21, 1918. Left station October 23, 1918

SHERMAN B. TUPPER, First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A., from Quartermaster Sergeant per telegram A.G.O. July 16, 1918. Assigned to duty at the depot as assistant to the Commanding Officer. Transferred to A.R.D. No. 333 at Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O. July 23, 1918. Left station August 3, 1918

JOHN C. THROWBRIDGE, First Lieutenant Q.M.C.- Assigned to duty at the depot as assistant to the Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., September 24, 1918. Joined September 29, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O. October 4, 1918. Left station October 7, 1918

ROBERT L. FINLEY, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C. – Appointed Second Lieutenant Q.M.C from Sergeant 1st Class Q.M.C. and assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., October 26, 1918. Joined October 29, 1918. Transferred to A.R.D. at Camp Sheridan, Ala. Per telegram A.G.O., February 3, 1919. Left station February 10, 1919

HUGH GETSTON, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C.- Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., September 7, 1918. Joined September 26, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla., per telegram A.G.O., October 4, 1918. Left station October 8, 1918

WILLIAM R. INGRAM, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C.- Assigned to duty at depot per telegram A.G.O. August 15, 1918. Joined August 19, 1918. Transferred to Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Jacksonville, Fla. for duty with Field Remount Squadron, telegram A.G.O. Left station September 30, 1918

THURTON LONNING, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., April 23, 1918. Joined April 27, 1918. Promoted to First Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A., June 10, 1918, per telegram A.G.O. of same date

BENNETT NOOR, JR., Second Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram War Department, February 18, 1918. Joined February 25, 1918. Transferred to A.R.D. No. 306, Charlotte, N.C. Special Order No. 65, Headquarters 36th Division, March 7, 1918. Left station March 8, 1918

HAROLD M. ROBB, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram A.G.O., October 24, 1918. Joined October 29, 1918

JAMES S. WADSWORTH, Second Lieutenant Q.M.C., N.A. - Assigned to duty at depot as assistant to Commanding Officer per telegram War Department, January 5, 1918. Joined January 19, 1918. Transferred to Camp Wadsworth, Spartanburg, S.C. Special Order No. 26, Headquarters 36th Division, January 26, 1918. Left station January 28, 1918


ENLISTED MEN – The first group of enlisted men to come to the depot were transferred from Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in September 1917, with a few who enlisted directly into the Remount Service at this depot.

In October 1917, about 200 men were transferred to the Remount Depot from various organizations of the 36th Division at Camp Bowie. Practically all of these men were from Texas and Oklahoma National Guard, while a few more were from various states California to Massachusetts. By this time about 5,500 animals were being cared for in the depot, and the work was carried on with the assistance of a large detail of men from camp organizations.

An increase in enlisted personnel to 400 was authorized in the fall of 1918, and about 125 men of the “limited service” class were sent to the depot. These men were held until they were transferred for discharge in November and December 1918, and their places filled by men who entered the service in the fall of 1918.

Much praise is due the men who came to the depot in its first days; for the came expecting immediate overseas service, and most of them have remained faithfully through the long months of constant work, which furnished them little excitement and glory, in comparison to the men who went to France.


ORGANIZATION OF THE DEPOT The personnel of the depot consist of four detachments, as follows:

DEPOT DETACHMENT – Which supplies men for many details, such as feeding and cleaning, office force, issuing and receiving, plumbing, carpenters, warehouse assistants, etc.

WAGON COMPANY AND PACK TRAIN – Which handles the transportation of the depot, and under which the schools for teamsters, packers, and saddlers are connected.

VETERINARY CORPS DETACHMENT – Composed of men of the Medical Department which has charge of the Veterinary Hospitals, and work connected therewith, including the maintenance of sanitary conditions of the corrals.

MEDICAL DETACHMENT – Which has charge of the sick and injured soldiers, and the sanitation of the depot.

HORSESHOERS’ DETACHMENT – Was a temporary one composed of men detailed for the course in horseshoeing.

The authorized enlisted strength of the various organizations in indicated as follows:

Depot Detachment – 300
Wagon Company and Pack Train – 115
Veterinary Corps – 75
Medical Detachment, as needed, usually 4

Since September 1, 1917, a total of 944 enlisted men have been assigned for duty at this depot, of which 454 have been discharged, transferred or died. The depot has a splendid record of enlisted men that have been commissioned, and have gone to Officers Training Schools, and made good there. Three were commissioned first lieutenants, and fifteen were made second lieutenants in the Quartermaster Corps. Two were commissioned after finishing the course at the Officers Training School at Camp Bowie. Twenty-two were transferred to various schools for officers.

In the history of the depot no man stands out more prominently than Mr. Raymond B. Woof, the chief clerk. From the day of the depot’s establishment to date, he has been on the job always, and it is mainly through his efficiency and energy that the office end of the work has always been above reproach. If there is any man who has worked more faithfully and incessantly than Mr. Woolf, he is yet to be found.

As many as 7,777 animals have been on hand at one time, and up to February 25, 1919, a total of 24,367 head have issued and received, in other words, handled by the depot.

Most of these animals were purchased in Fort Worth and points in Texas and Oklahoma. The feeding and general care of the animals, and the cleaning of the corrals has been the chief duties at the depot. As a whole the animals have always been in good condition, and the death rate from diseases and injury has been exceptionally low.

In the fall and winter of 1918-1919 a few cases of glanders were found, which necessitated the killing of infected animals, and the quarantine of those exposed until the disease was eradicated.

After the Armistice was signed, orders were received to dispose of a large number of the less desirable horses and mules at public auctions in January and February 1919. At these sales 3012 head were sold, and a few more will be sold in March. Besides these, 343 have been sold at various auctions as “I.C.” animals.

SCHOOLS
Schools for the training of horseshoers, teamsters, and packers, saddlers, stable sergeants and farriers have been maintained at the depot.

The first class in horseshoeing began January 9, 1918. Six classes, each doing a four-month course, were held. The last one ending January 15, 1919. A total of 314 students were enrolled in the six classes, from which 182 graduated and received certificates.

The first Teamsters School began in December 1917, with over one hundred enrolled, and was discontinued upon request of the camp commander in January and no certificates were issued. Another course was given from May 1, 1918, to June 15, 1918, with 83 enrolled, of whom 79 were given Teamster Certificates. The third class of 85 enrolled June 17, 1918, and was continued until the latter part of June, when the 36th Division began preparations to leave for France. No certificates were issued to men of this class.

Two classes for packers were finished in which 100 were enrolled and of whom 83 were issued certificates.

Three classes for stable sergeant and farriers were graduated in which 195 men were enrolled, and of whom 153 were given certificates of proficiency. One class of men took the course of saddlers. Most of these men were from other camps and posts. A one-month’s course was given, with 31 students enrolled, all of whom were given certificates

DRILL
On account of the large amount of work connected with the caring for the animals on hand, but little time has ever been found for drill. In the spring and summer of 1918, an hour each morning and evening was given over to dismounted cavalry drill. One platoon of the Veterinary Corps drilled mounted.

OTHER ACTIVITIES
Although practically every man has always been required to do his share of work, there has been some time to devote to pleasure and sports. The depot opened an exchange in the fall of 1917, and under its efficient operation the men have been well cared for in this respect, having a tailor shop and barbershop in connection. A baseball team was organized in the summer of 1918. Bronco riding is a common every day sport, as well as driving “outlaw” horses and mules.

From the exchange dividends a recreation hall was built, in which two pool tables, a Victrola, and reading matter is kept for the enlisted men.

The messes are the models of the camp, and the physical condition of the men is the best indication of the class of food served.

Just when the depot will be finally abandoned is not known, but demobilization of the men has begun, there being a number already discharged. The enlisted personnel will be reduced to 250 in March 1919, and it is expected that a few men will be retained to care for the remaining stock until late in the summer, when it is thought that Camp Bowie will be abandoned.

With all the memories that crowd the minds of the men who have served at the Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328, there will be many pleasant ones of the good time, the useful things learned, the fine comradeship and pleasant associations, together with the feeling of confidence that each has done patiently, conscientiously, and efficiently his share toward winning the greatest war of all time.


OFFICERS AUXLIARY REMOUNT DEPOT No. 328
First row (seated, left to right) Capt. Geo. A.Scott, Capt. Ernest Stecker, Major E.S. Phillips, Capt. Harry F. Davidson, Capt. Edward J. O’Hara, Second Row (standing, left to right) 1st Lt. Arthur C.F. Brown, M.C., 1st Lt. Stephen A. Kamis, V.C., 2nd Lt. Augustus S. Martin, V.C., 1st Lt. John A. Rennie, V.C., 2nd Lt. Earl E. Watson, V.C., 2nd Lt. Harold M. Robb, Q.M.C., 1st Lt. Pat C. Winfree; 1st Lt. LaVerne C. Martin, Q.M.C., 1st Lt. Clarence N. Sonnenberg, M.C., 2nd Lt. William B. Johnson, Q.M.C., 2nd Lt. Fred Fuller, Q.M.C.

ROSTER OF HEADQUARTERS
Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328
Camp Bowie, Texas

Major E.S. Phillips, Q.M.C, Depot Commander

Captain Ernest Stecker, Q.M.C., Quartermaster and Adjutant

Captain Edward J. O’Hara, V.C., Senior Veterinarian

1st Lieutenant Arthur C.F. Brown, M.C., Post Surgeon

ASSISTANTS TO COMMANDING OFFICER
1st Lieutenant La Verne C. Martin, V.C., Corral Officer
Mr. R.R. Woolf, Chief Clerk
Miss Fannie Carter, Stenographer
Miss Vinnie Niccolls, Stenographer

CLERKS
Sears, Coral D., Quartermaster Sergeant Senior Grade, Personnel
Baldwin, Hollister C., Quartermaster Sergeant, Property
Goldstein, Joseph, Quartermaster Sergeant, Invoicing
Miller, Eugene H., Quartermaster Sergeant, Pay
Willingham, Samuel E., Quartermaster Sergeant, Finance
Koenig, Christian F., Sergeant, Assistant Personnel
Hoover, Linn J., Sergeant, File
Davis, Thomas E., Corporal, Assistant File
Groeg, Earl G., Private, Assistant Invoicing
Stelloh, Martin E., Private, Assistant Invoicing

BUGLERS, ORDERLIES AND CHAUFFEURS
Wein, Theodore W., Private First Class, Bugler
Hawkins, Thomas J., Private, Bugler
Davis, William F., Private, Orderly
Hunt, Orlan B., Private, Orderly
Rains, Lee, Private, Motorcycle
Ott, Jacob W., Private, Chauffeur
Stone, Stanley S., Private, Chauffeur


Major E.S. Phillips, Commanding Officer, at his desk


Headquarters Office Staff, Captain Ernest Stecker, Adjutant and M.R. Woof, Chief Clerk


Chief Clerk Woolf and Headquarters Non-Commissioned Officers


Non-Commissioned Officers of the Depot Detachment


Wagon Company and Pack Train

WAGON COMPANY AND PACK TRAIN


Captain G.A. Scott, Commanding Officer, Q.M., from Iowa. Commissioned Captain Q. M. Reserve Corps July 16, 1917. From August 1917, to December 15, 1917, had charge of a board purchasing horses and mules for the U.S. Army. Joined A.R.D. No. 328 December 20, 1917, as Commanding Officer of Wagon Company and Pack Train. November 1, 1918, was ordered overseas. At the signing of the Armistice was ordered back to the A.R.D. No. 328, and assigned as Adjutant November 25, 1918. Took command of Wagon Co. Jan. 26, 1919. Before being commissioned was with Bureau of Animal Industry, U.S. Department of Agriculture.

HISTORY OF THE ORGANIZATION
The Wagon Company and Pack Train handles the transportation of the Depot, and under this organization schools for teamsters, packers and saddlers were conducted. Members of the Wagon Company, many of whom had never before made the acquaintance of a mule, became expert teamsters, and any of them claim to be able to turn an escort wagon with a four-line team around on a dime. They take pleasure in hitching and driving or riding any of the species known as “outlaws”. The men of the Pack Train have likewise become expect packers, as their rapid work and hikes with the train have shown. The Pack Train was demobilized in the Fall of 1918. This organization had an enviable record, both in respect to the work it has accomplished, and in the number of its men who have been commissioned from the ranks, or transferred to training schools for officers.

ROSTER
Captain A. Scott, Quartermaster Corps, Commanding Officer

SERGEANTS, FIRST CLASS
Graham, George A., Packer Master
Still, Edgar C., Wagon Master
Green, Claude L., First Sergeant

SERGEANTS
Sullivan, John L., Assistant Wagon Master
Watson, Joe W., Assistant Wagon Master
Shepard, John J., Blacksmith
McClure, Thomas H., Saddler
Price, William O., Saddler
McCord, Clarence, Guard
Gray, Almus, Checker
Bennight, Huse, Horseshoer
Cornelius, Cyrus C. Horseshoer
McCullough, Earl, Horseshoer
Scott, Walter G., Horseshoer
Willis, David C., Farrier

CORPORALS
Smull, Orle, Jr.
Hopkins, Earl E.
Horton, Henry
Schussele, John D.

COOKS
Belew, Jesse E.
Combs, Joseph P.

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Alexander, M. Clay
Alston, George H.
Birch, George A.
Boatright, Lonnie L.
Bragg, Hubert J.
Bragg, Hubert J.
Brasher, Leo T.
Burris, Bryan
Butler, William C.
Cash. Patterson S.
Cates, James F.
Cherry, John H.
Crow, William W.
Darrow, James R.
Dixon, John W.
Dykes, George
Gahan, Patrick
Gray, Carey A.
Harkins, Walter
Harris, Earl
Hodges, Maurice
Imes, John
Jackson, John G.
Johnson, Dock
Kat, Irving E.
Knight, Ross E.
Knox, Frank J.
Laymance, Tom I.
Lincoln, Eli
Lindley, James F.
Lumley, William C.
McKee, Osee M.
Massengale, Roy
Melugin, Grover C.
Mills, William V.
Murphree, Charles Y.
Richards, Harley H.
Richardson, Albert W.
Rohde, Oscar R. Jr.
Rothman, Jacob
Satterfield, Ovlee
Sharp, Thomas
Shorter, Altis L.
Simons, Albert
Taylor, Morris M.
Thomas, Charles
Turner, Oscar
Walker, Walter E.
Watson, Muse
Whitehead, Henry
Wilkinson, William L.
Williamson, Thomas V.
Young, Leslie

PRIVATES
Anspach, Evert
Barry, Robert L.
Boatright, William F.
Bird, John S.
Borland, Preston J.
Craddock, John E.
Crieghton, Hobart P.
Darst, Orville E.
Davis, Leo
Defebaugh, Walter E.
Gargus, Tom J.
Gilmore, Louis A.
Guerrant, Charles L.
Hall, Elgin P.
Harris, Ernest
Hartung, Martin
Hastings, James J.
Heltebrake, David
Hill, John W.
Huskey, Harry P.
Jack, Emery J.
Kelley, John
Kiser, Walter S.
Luguette, B.L.
McBride, John J.
McCaslin, Fleet G.
Merriott, Manford L.
Miller, Albert L.
O’Laughlin, Lawrence J.
Reeves, John
Teter, Czar Y.
Walker, Wayne W.
Welge, Edward F.
Williams, Price
Willing, Walter F.


Veterinary Corps Detachment

VETERINARY CORPS


Captain Edward J. O’Hara, Commanding Officer, Entered the service of the United States Army March 3, 1911 and assigned to the 12th U.S. Cavalry stationed at Fort Robinson, Nebr. April 5, 1916 was assigned to the 5th Cavalry, Fort Meyer, Va. May 23, 1917, was assigned to the animal purchasing board, Front Royal, Va June 7, 1917, was assigned to the animal purchasing board Fort Keogh, Mont. December 3, 1917, was assigned to command of Veterinary Detachment, Remount Depot, Camp Dodge, Iowa. November 7, 1918, was assigned instructor of equitation Medical Officers Training Group, Camp Greenleaf, Ga. January 21, 1919, was assigned to command of Veterinary Detachment, Remount Depot, Camp Bowie, Texas.

HISTORY OF THE VETERINARY CORPS, A.R.D. No. 328 CAMP BOWIE The Veterinary Corps at this depot was organized August 1917, with Lieutenant T.O. Booth in command. The Veterinary Hospital is divided into four wards with a total capacity of 365 patients. Since its establishment 2909 horses and 2164 mules have entered the hospital as patients. During the month of September 1917, the following officers assigned to duty:

Lieutenant John A. Rannie
2nd Lieutenant Arden H. Douglas
2nd Lieutenant LaVerne C. Martin
2nd Lieutenant David C. Bostwick
2nd Lieutenant John J. Evans
2nd Lieutenant Lester J. Smith
2nd Lieutenant Arnim C. Trefzer
2nd Lieutenant James A. Weigen
2nd Lieutenant M. Claflin
2nd Lieutenant A.F. Shrear

December 1917, Captain Lewis E. Beckham
February 1918, Captain Nicholas E. Dutro
July 1918, Lieutenant Augustus S. Martin
September 1918, Lieutenant Earl E. Watson
November 1918, Lieutenant Edwin W. Pierce
January 1919, Captain Edward J. O’Hara

ROSTER

Edward J. O’Hara, Veterinary Corps, Commanding Officer

FIRST LIEUTENANTS
John A Rennie
LaVerne C. Martin

SECOND LIEUTENANTS
Augustus Martin
Earl E. Watson
Edwin W. Pierce

SERGEANT FIRST CLASS
Alvin, Louis B. First Sergeant

SERGEANTS
Barnes, Alfred, Mess Sergeant
Bryans, Joseph E.
Murphy, Clem T.

CORPORALS
Ball, Ashby T.
DeSpain, William E.
Locke, Frank H.

COOKS
Livingood, Ceil E.

HORSESHOERS
Short, Lee R.

SADDLER
Shadle, Alfred

FARRIERS
Clifford, Oren P.
Dawson, Ralph W.
Dunn, Archie E.
Heller, Frank J.
Leslie, J.
Long, Thomas
Nollkamper, Ernest G.
Prince, James E.
Rooney, Joseph S.
Schreffler, Bryan J.
Wilson, Julian E.
Woellner, Henry F.

PRIVATES FIRST CLASS
Allard, Roy C.
Allen, John
Bovie, John E.
Bryant, Albert
Duckworth, Wiley J.
Edwards, Henry W.
Kaufman, Abraham
Lagrange, Hobert R.
Logan, James
May, Julian H.
Miller, Clyde G.
Morrison, Nathan E.
O’Reilly, George F.
Phillips, Clide
Sorenson, Irvin
Tondre, William E.
Wiede, Adolph

PRIVATES
Akins, William P.
Balsley, Marion
Beach, Leslie W.
Beebe, Wayne O.
Biffle, Doyle G.
Blagg, Arthur P.
Blake, William L.
Boland, Charles E.
Brown, Fred L.
Burke, Sam H.
DeVeydte, Reginald
Egelton, Richard S.
Gan, Samuel P.
Gullian, Juan
Hite, Oren C.
Hohmann, Arthur A.
Ivey, James R.
Kinkland, John C.
McCullough, William J.
May, Perry H.
Mudd, Walter L.
Muller, John
Narans, William A.
Podvin, August N.
Ralls, James A.
Robison, Roy H.
Russell, Roy
Rutkowski, Peter
Schwegler, Paley B.
Stone, Upton C.
Taylor, Thomas W.
Wells, John F.


Depot Detachment

DEPOT DETACHMENT


Second Lieutenant Harold M. Robb, Commanding Officer – Entered service World’s War as Private October 3. 1917, Camp Funston, Kansas, Auxiliary Remount No. 323. Promoted to Corporal November 13, 1917. Promoted to Quartermaster Sergeant February 1, 1918. Promoted to 2nd Lieutenant October 14, 1918. Ordered to Fort Sill, Okla., with A.R.D. No. 327 as assistant to commanding officer and assigned as Detachment Commander and Personnel Officer. Ordered to Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328, Camp Bowie, Texas. October 29, 1918, as assistant to commanding officer. Assigned as Commanding Officer, Depot Detachment, February 6, 1919.

HISTORY OF ORGANIZATION The Depot Detachment furnishes the men for the maintenance of the depot, feeding, cleaning, office forces, issuing and receiving, and necessary mechanical work. The authorized strength of the detachment is 300 men and because of the size the detachment is a general utilities branch and a large percentage of the Headquarters enlisted personnel is drawn from this detachment. This also pertains to special duty.

ROSTER

SECOND LIEUTENANT HAROLD M. ROBB, Quartermaster Corps, Commanding Officer

QUARTERMASTER SERGEANTS
Franke, Emil P.
Reader, August L.
Erter, Orlie W.

SERGEANT FIRST CLASS
Casparis, James N.
Clark, Joseph L.
Jackson, Roy W., First Sergeant
Brown, Thomas A.

SERGEANTS
Lazeres, Paul
Everett, William E., Mess Sergeant
Goldman, Alfred
Ford, John W.
Hutto, Albert B.
Porter, Edmond G.
Abernathy, Carl W.
Carson, Harry L.
Underwood, Ray
Bolin, Veldon S.
Berry, Lee S.
Dickey, Tom H.
Hall, John W.
Akers, Francis A.
Pollack, Guy E.
Anderson, Charles E.

CORPORALS
Porter, William T.
Baker, John M.
Berry, Roscoe C.
Clark, Roy C.
Crain, Heberon F.
Crume, James M.
Dubroc, George L.
Millis, Eugene R.
Myers, Harvey M.L.

COOKS
Cowan, Charles H.
Elder, William A.

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS
Brinson, James R.
Cole, Lemuel L.
Cromeans, John B.
Culveyhouse, Elwood M.
England, Raymond
Knox, Gilbert
Lacour, Linus V.
McBride, W. Guy
Moore, Lilbon T.
Myers, Clifford
Roysden, Ward H.
Schenker, Oscar
Sevenman, Ernest C.
Thompson, John M.

PRIVATES
Adams, Herald C.
Allibritton, Hubert L.
Alter, Leo
Anderson, Ammon M.
Anderson, Perry
Atherton, George D.
Axtell, Toney L.
Awbery, Samuel I.
Bailey, David A.
Barnard, Jesse
Beard, Charles V.
Beardsley, Wallace B.
Beas, George H.
Beavers, Thomas F.
Bell, Clyde W.
Bell, James R.
Benisch, August W.
Bennight, Leo C.
Black, Charles M.
Blackmon, Charley L.
Blair, Elmer W.
Blake, Frederick
Blaue, Frit
Bonnette, Eimond K.
Bonn, Alva W.
Boswell, Homer M.
Brannon, Roy D.
Branstetter, Thomas R.
Breeze, Willie E.
Brennan, Joseph A.
Brock, Charles
Brown, Earl E.
Brummell, Clive E.
Burke, Jim
Charlisle, Arthur B.
Carlyle, Farris R.
Carroll, Mancie
Clawson, Vahl
Clingan, William L.
Coachman. Porter
Cochran, Ward B.
Connell, Clarence W.
Conoyer, James L.
Crabtree, Clyde F.
Crenshaw, Asa
Croll, Ernest L.
Culpepper, Awbrey
Davidson, Robert Q.
Davis, Virgil
Davis, Will A.
DeForrest, Walter L.
Dietmaring, John O.
Derrossett, Lawrence R.
Dietrich, Anthony W.
Dischinger, William
Dodson, Willard C.
Dorman, Alvin A.
Eberting, George W.
Eby, Eison R.
Edwards, Arthur B.L.
Edwards, Tim A.
Ehlmann, Martin L.
Elrod, James J.
Eutsler, Lonzo E.
Everett, Buford A.
Farrington, Thomas D.
Faucett, Arl C.
Fine, George O.
Flood, Leo F.
Flynn, John S.
Foglesong, Ray E.
Friedrichs, Albert
Gallagher, Thomas R.
Garoutte, James S.
Gates, Robert E.
Gau, John Elmer
Gehlken, Albert R.
George, Earl P.
Givens, Clay C.
Glenn, Murphy K.
Gold berg, David
Golike, George C.
Gordon, William B.
Goth, Andrew J.
Gundelfinger, Chauncey Jr.
Hale, Ora E.
Hall, Dallas L.
Hammer, Ray L.
Harrison, Jefferson S.
Harvey, James A.
Haynes, Thomas L.
Hayes, James N.
Haye, Watson
Hemphill, Archie V.
Herndon, William P.
Herrington, Burron
Hill, Hal H.
Hilton, Babe M.
Hinkle, John T.
Hodges, John D.
Hough, Edward M.
Howard, Joseph
Huddleston, Louis
Hudgins, William H.
Hudson, John W.
Humphrey, Jim
Jackson, Dan S.
Johnson, Garlen W.
Johnson, Lester S.
Johnson, Roger K.
Johnson, Willis E.
Johnston, Charles R.
Jones, Bryan P.
Jones, Edward O.
Jones, Ross
Kays, Keith M.
Keeble, Havery B.
Keith, Walter V.
Kennedy, Joseph P.
Killingsworth, Irvin C.
Kipp, Gustav A.
Klaiber, Jr., William A.
Knight, Almon B.
Koch, August
Kutscher, Paul G.
Kuykendall, Emmett
Kyser, Frederick
Langkop, Edward C
Larson, Stanley E.
Lawrence, Ivan D.
Lay, Eddie I.
Layton, Adolphus M.
Layton, Randa R.
LeBow, Isham
Lehnbeuter, Julius J.
LeMay, John R.
Leverenz, Herman
Lindsey, George W.
Lipscomb, William A.
Livingston, Arthur E.
Lohmann, Ernest
Loch, Julius L.
Loesing, George H.
Lohman, George H.
Lungstras, Karl
Luper, Charles W.
McClain, Samuel V.
McCune, William E.
McGann, John A.
McPheeters, William
McMahon, John F.
McMurtry, Lucian
McNaught, Forest M.
McNeely, Albert A.
Madsen, Lanius W.
Mahlstedt, Rudolph
Mahurin, Jesse E.
Mann, Wyatt E.S.
Martin, Harry D.
Mansel, David W.
Mansfield, Elmer P.
Mark, Edward G.
Mayeux, Henry J.
Myerrose, Henry E.
Miller, Edwin R.
Miller, John P.
Miller, Freddie M.
Mosher, Frank E.
Mundy, Oliver G.
Myers, Clarence E.
Neels, August E.
Newman, Willie M.
Noonan, David J.
Norman, Charles E.
Nowotny, Elbert O.
Oetting, Gustav H.
Overton, Forest G.
Page, Victor Hugo
Parham, James E.
Park, Orla
Parrott, William A.
Pearson, Harry L.
Pennington, Walter B.
Peoples, Forest C.
Phipps, Elva
Piatt, Joseph B.
Pirtle, Joseph W.
Pollard, Charles C.
Potter, Carl B.
Poweshiek, Jonas
Purcell, Eliah R.
Quinley, Charlie S.
Rains, Claude A.
Rimel, Faunie, O.
Rogers, Magnus L.
Rohman, William
Robnett, Elbert J.
Ryan, William F.
Saling, Fines G.
Samsel, Curtis L.
Sanford, Obed W.
Sanford, Orion
Sargent, Herbert R.
Savage, Joseph N.
Schapeler, Ruben A.
Schaum, Elmer H.
Schovane, Lawrence
Schmidt, Harry W.C.
Schmorrow, William H.
Scifers, Oscar, H.
Shaw, Archie J.
Shuman, Chester A.
Simon, Albert
Smith, Hershell L.
Smith, Frank L.
Solto, Robert H.
Soales, Cecil I.
Sparkman, John
Staley, Charles R.
Starr, Samuel C.
Sutton, George T.
Tate, Everette L.
Taylor, James C.
Thomas, Dempsey G.
Tiedemann, Percy
Todd, Bruce
Tomek, Adolph
Vlasaty, George
Vaughn, Thomas J.
Walde, Emil
Wehner, Bernard J.
Wessendorf, William H.
Wieck, Henry H.
Wieters, Charles A.
Wilcoxin, Harold W.
Wild, Henry J.
Williams, Argus L.
Williams, Louis J.
Wilmoth, Tony F.
Wonderly, Robert E.
Wright, Claude A.
Wyatt, Arter D.M.
Yerkes, Walter L.

MEDICAL CORPS


First Lieutenant Arthur C.P. Brown, Medical Corps, C.O. Medical Detachment and Post Surgeon. Enlisted Co. B., 65th Regiment N.G., New York, July 22, 1890; transferred to Hospital Corps, 65th Infantry, N.G.N.Y.; mustered into Federal Service with Co. B., 65th N.G. Vol. Infantry May 1, 1898, and served during Spanish-American War; honorable discharged Dec. 1, 1898; enlisted Hospital Corps, 65th Reg. N.G.N.Y., Jan. 1899; held various grades until 1903; honorably discharged from service by reason of removed from city at the outbreak of the War. Was commissioned as First Lieutenant Medical Corps U.S.A. June 30, 1917.

HISTORY OF ORGANIZATON
The following officers in duty at this detachment from time of organization: Lt. Alfred N. Earnest, Muskogee, Okla.; Captain Waldemar Ude, St Louis, Mo.; Lt. Daniel E. Egan, Chicago, Ill.; Lt. Arthur C.F. Brown, Kansas City, Mo., at present in command. The detachment consists of one Medical officer and four enlisted men, one Dental surgeon and one enlisted man. The health of the command has been exceptionally good; sanitary conditions excellent. Credit for this is due to the hearty cooperation from the Commanding Officer and detachment Commanders.


First Lieutenant Waldo H. Thompson, Dental Corps

ROSTER

FIRST LIEUTENANTS
Arthur C.F. Brown, Medical Corps, Surgeon and Commanding Officer
Waldo H. Thompson, Dental Corps, Surgeon

PRIVATES
Deruyter, Gantiel A.
Etheridge, William
Small, Kenneth W.
Story, Harry E.
Williams, Lee


Medical Detachment


Field Remount Squadron No. 352

FIELD REMOUNT SQUADRON No. 352


Captain Harry F. Davidson, Remount Squadron No. 352 Commanding Officer is from the State of Illinois. He has seen service in the Spanish-American War as a cavalryman, and was in the Philippine Islands from August 1903, to October 1905. He was commissioned from civil life as 2nd Lieutenant, Q.M.C., November 10, 1917. Commissioned 1st Lieutenant, Q.M.C., June 10, 1918; commissioned Captain, Q.M.C. September 30, 1918.

HISTORY OF ORGANIZATION (COLORED) Field Remount Squadron No. 352, Captain Harry F. Davidson, Q.M.C. in command, was organized November 2, 1918, at Camp Joseph E. Johnston, Florida, and arrived at Camp Bowie, Texas, for duty with Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328 on January 23, 1919. This Squadron is one of the few “Colored” Squadrons, organized by the Remount Division for service overseas. The duty of Field Remount Squadrons was intended for additional help for handling animals under the various remounts. On account of the Armistice being signed, Field Remount Squadron No. 352, with five other Squadrons, was ordered detained in the United States, for service at different Remount Depots.

ROSTER

HARRY F. DAVIDSON, Captain, Q.M.C, Commanding Officer

1ST LIEUTENANT, Medical Corps
Clarence N. Sonnenburg

1ST LIEUTENANT, Veterinary Corps
Stephan A. Kamis

2ND LIEUTENANTS, Q.M.C.
William B. Johnson
V.E. Hubbell

QUARTERMASTER SERGEANTS, Q,M.C.
Meehan, Roger J.
Stephan, Oscar T.

SERGEANTS
Bales, William D.
Cameron, Everett L.
Cook, Albert E.
Davis, Gilbert
Gilmore, Willis S.
Howard, Walter B.
Jansen, Richard A.
Marcus, Alvin L.
McClintock, William
McGill, Ernest T.
Seay, William A.
Steppick, William O.
Thompson, Henry J.
Wallace, Walter

COOKS (COLORED)
Andrew, Charlie
Jordan, Jay
Leighton, John Jr.

PRIVATES FIRST CLASS
Bates, Prince
Davis, Hulet
Fordham, Benjamin
James, Edward C.
Johnson, John P.
Whitlock, John
Wylie, Ed
Young, Wardell

PRIVATES
Agurs, Thomas
Allen, Dan
Anderson, James
Anderson, Willie
Ashton, Ernest
Avant, Archie
Bevens, Allen
Bonds, Andrew
Bookman, Silas
Brown, James P.
Brown, Will
Brown, William P.
Brownlee, Charles
Buford, Lawrence
Bundy, John E.
Burgan, Marcus E.
Burton, Cleveland
Byrd, Norman
Caple, Thomas
Carter, Anderson
Coe, John W.
Crown, Melvin C.
Davis, Ben No. 1
Davis, Ben No. 2
Davis, Eddie
Davis, Hoyle
Davis, Mack
Dickerson, Joe H.
Dixon, Walter
Donaldson, Charlie
Downs, John
Duncan, Ollie
Edmunds, Isaac
Evins, Henry
Fisher, Robert W.
Freeman, Daniel
Fryer, John
Glass, Eddie L.
Glenn, Eugene H.
Gray, Richard
Grayson, Charlie
Green, Elzie
Hall, David
Halloman, Edward
Hamilton, David
Hampton, Lawyer
Hankerson, Coleman
Harden, Eugene
Harrington, Edgar
Harris, Wiley
Harris, Willie
Hicks, Fredrick
Hicks, Marion
Hicks, Richard
Holcomb, Cleve
Howell, Sims
Jackson, Samuel
Jetter, Charlie
Johnson, Henry
Johnson, William T.
Jones, Charlie
Jones, Eddie
Jones, Emanuel
Jones, Ollie
Jones, Robert
Kirby, Thomas
Lagroom, Robert
Martin, Buster
McCloud, Robert
Mcllwaine, Edward
Mikell, Fredrick
Middleton, Penfield
Miller, John
Miller, Tilman
Moore, Charleton
Moten, Charles R.
Nelson, Tom
Nowlin, Less
Odoms, Roy
Owens, Jesse
Paisley, George
Parker, Alex
Parker, Paul
Parks, Merritt
Parrotte, John
Pearson, Willie
Peterson, Melvin
Pooleat, John
Reed, Elmore
Redden, Howard
Robinson, Clarence
Robinson, Frank
Robinson, James
Robinson, Major
Rogers, Otis
Salisbury, James
Simons, John
Smith, Earle A.
Smith, John
Steele, John H.
Steele, James
Stephan, Cleveland
Stephenson, Jesse
Sullivan, Charlie
Taylor, John
Taylor, Sylvester
Thomas, Lee
Valentine, Donald
Walker, Leon
Washington, George
West, John H.
White, Clash
White, James
White, Realus
Wilhoite, George
Wilson, James
Young, Arthur
Young, Frank
Young, Will

SEAGEANT MEDICAL CORPS
Lingerfield, Harry E.

PRIVATES MEDICAL CORPS
Green, George
Malloy, George
Miller, John

PRIVATES VETERINARY CORPS
Henry, Joe
Leslie, Arthur
McDuffee, William


Non-Commissioned Officers, Field Remount


Horseshoeing School


Quartermaster Sergeants and Sergeant First Class, A.R.O. No. 321


Headquarters Office


Chauffeurs and Orderlies


Lieutenant Martin, Post Exchange Officer (at right) and Clerks


Post Exchange Men and Cooks


Remount Exchange


Recreation Room


Barbershop


Remount Infirmary


Company Streets and Barracks


Officers Quarters


Corral for Officers’ Mounts


Loading Chutes


Wagon Corral


Hay Shed, Buyers Inspecting Animals, Sales of Animals at Remount Depot and Buyer’s Corral.


Auxiliary Remount Warehouse


Wagon Company and Pack Train Corrals


Some Glimpses of the Remount Depot


Horses and Jumpers Shown at the Fort Worth Stock and Horse Show, 1918, Trained at the Remount Depot


Interior of the Barracks and Lockers at Exterior of Barracks


Aeroplane View of Remount Depot


Note: Again, I would like to thank Ben Guttery for posting this wonderful booklet on Auxiliary Remount Depot No. 328


Return to The Army Veterinary Service During the Great War, WW1 homepage:

THE ARMY VETERINARY SERVICE DURING THE GREAT WAR, WW1
Click on the below link:
The Army Veterinary Service During the Great War, WW1



Click on the below Homepage links:

SERGEANT LEONARD MURPHY VETERINARY HOSPITAL NO. 18, A.E.F., WW1
Click on the below link:
Leonard Murphy in WW1


POLK COUNTY WISCONSIN THOSE THAT SERVED IN WW1
Click on the below link:
Polk County Wisconsin in WW1


FORT ORD U.S. ARMY STATION VETERINARY HOSPITAL (HORSE) WW2
Click on the below link:
Fort Ord U.S. Army Station Veterinary Hospital (Horse) WW2


11TH CAVALRY PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1919 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
11th Cavalry Presidio of Monterey, 1919 to 1940


76TH FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, 1922 TO 1940
Click on the below link:
76th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Battalion



U.S. ARMY VETERINARY CORPS HISTORICAL PRESERVATION GROUP

Motto: “Illic est Vires in Numerus” There is Strength in Numbers

“Working Hard to Preserve Our Country’s History wherever it is being lost”

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group is a group of individuals that are concerned about the preservation of the History of the Veterinary Corps, Remount Service and Cavalry or wherever our country’s history is being lost in conjunction with our beloved “Horse and Mule”. There is no cost to join and membership is for life. We believe by uniting together in numbers we will be a more powerful force to be heard. Our membership list is private and only used to contact our members. Email us and become a member.

Greg Krenzelok
gregkrenzelok@msn.com

FACEBOOK: U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group

Click on the below link:

U.S. Army Veterinary Corps Historical Preservation Group