Combined Picture of Audrey's photos
The Reformed Dutch Churchyard Cemetery
Courtesy of: Stephen Newell
7 December 2003
The Port Richmond Reformed Dutch Church
54 Richmond Avenue
Port Richmond, Staten Island, Richmond County, New York 10302-1334
This site is NOT associated with the REFORMED DUTCH CHURCH at Port Richmond, NY, but designed to be a genealogical collection site for information, photos of gravestones that will be lost in time, historical data, websites or histories of families who attended the early Dutch Church, etc..
I am interested in collecting photos of old gravestones located at this cemetery in an effort to preserve the history of the lives of those laid to rest there. You are welcome to send scanned photos to Audrey for inclusion on this site. HOWEVER, please contact Audrey before sending. If you can attach some genealogical history or lineage to the person that would be even better.
Dave Shields of Long Island gave Dave & Audrey (Shields) Hancock from Michigan a tour of Port Richmond.
Dave and Audrey have common ROLL (Dutch), VAN WOGGELUM (Dutch),
& DUNHAM (aka SINGLETARY) (English) ancestors.
However, a common SHIELDS (Irish/Scotch) ancestry is not known.
Plaque attached to front of the Reformed Dutch Church.
DIAGRAM OF THE SECOND EDIFICE OF THE REFORMED DUTCH CHURCH
Landmark of New York
REFORMED PROTESTANT DUTCH CHURCH
Built in 1845 in Greek Revival Style, this is
the third church on the site.
The first a hexagon wooden building
erected in 1714 was destroyed
by the British during the Revolution.
The original license to the
Dutch Congregation signed by
Governor Hunter in 1714 is preserved.
STATEN ISLAND, PORT RICHMOND, NY.
Built about 1714.
Destroyed during the Revolutionary War.
A - Predikestoel (pulpit)
B - Ouderlingen (Elders)
C - Diakenen (Deacons)
- 1. Boumeester's Plaats on Kerkmeester's Plaats
(the master-builders place and the church warden's place.)
- 2. Plaats voor den Ovarheidt.
(Place for the Magistrate)
- 3. Nicholas Backer
(Believed by ASH to be s/o Jacobus BACKER & Margaret STUYVESANT, and half-nephew of Gov. Pieter Stuyvesant)
- 4. Douwe Van Wogelom
- 34. Jon Roll, Junr.
- 40. Jan Roll
- 43. Johanne Vanwagena
- 44. Wilhelmus Vreelandt
- 62. Elizabeth Baker
- 75. Jannetje Van Woggelom
- 80. Lena Van Wagene
The Roll Family Windmill, The Genealogy of the Roll Family
for a more complete history, information,
another diagram of the 2nd ediface,
and a complete listing of names
of those holding seats in the church in 1751.
The tall grayish-white building in the background of some of the photos (below) is now located on the site of the original hexagonal Dutch Reformed Church was located.
Courtesy of: Audrey (Shields) Hancock
Left Side of Reformed Dutch Church
Shows the burial ground to the left behind the fence.
Facing the left side of the church with burial ground
Shows the burial ground to the left of the main church behind the fence.
Courtesy of: Audrey (Shields) Hancock
Right Side of Reformed Dutch Church
Shows the burial ground to the right behind the wrought iron fence.
This sign on the right side of the church beyond the wrought iron fence marks the area where many of the early Dutch settlers were buried. A locked gate blocked admittance.
Behind the church to the left side lies a deteriorating graveyard of weathered, broken, and mostly nameless gravestones. The names of individuals once embedded upon stone have vanished in the passing of time. The individuals buried beneath will be forever lost to their descendants. So, if anyone is aware of the names of those who are perhaps buried within the confines of this churchyard, I would be happy to post them on this site.
These 3 stones were readable.
Gravestone of Paul Latourette
Paul Latourette standing and Mary Latourette lying flat
Paul LA TOURETTE (1790-1872) and his wife Mary ZELUFF.
Mary Elizabeth LA TOURETTE (1788-1880) married Nicholas Garrison VAN CLIEF
Information courtesy of: Noelle Van Pulis
Gravestone of Mary Latourette
Daughter of Paul and Mary
OTHER SURNAMES FOUND ON GRAVESTONES
In 1665, a small group of
the first Dutch settlers to
come to the shores of this
island banded together for the
worship of Almighty God. Through
three centuries faithful men
and women have continued this
ministry to the community, the
nation, and the world.
Therefore on this 2nd day
of May 1965 we do humbly and
gratefully commemorate the
tercentenary of the founding
of this congregation.
The Olive Tree Genealogy: New Netherland/New York Genealogy
Staten Island, Richmond County, NY, Genealogy Resources
Staten Island, NY Church Records, 1749-1828
Reformed Dutch Church Records
Webpage by: Audrey (Shields) Hancock of Portage, Michigan
Created: 27 October 2002
Revised: 07 December 2003