Compiled by Glenn Gohr
For many years it was accepted by Dodson researchers that through intermarriage this family descended from Governer Richard Hunt of Bermuda. That supposed connection may be found in Ancestors of Robert Dodson and His Descendants by Mrs. C. T. Dodson [1964?], Dodson Family of Warren County, Tennessee and Allied Families by Catherine Gaffin Lynn (1974), and The Dodson (Dotson) Family of North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, Virginia by Mrs. Sherman Williams and Rev. S. E. Lucas, Jr. (1988).
The Hunt family connection reportedly comes through the Dodson and Durham lines. But the early Hunt ancestry has been a point of some discussion on the Dodson E-mail List through Rootsweb, and the new evidence points to there not being any Hunt relatives in my family. So the lineage given here is only shown as a point of reference until the true Durham lineage can be determined.
Anyway, the earliest Hunt listed here is Richard Hunt, Governor of Bermuda. Someone needs to check the early records of Bermuda to find out more about this line. There is new evidence that Henry Durham was not the father of Thomas Durham. Thanks to Gene B. Rooks for discovering the truth of this matter. Thus the Hunt connection in my family is nonexistent. See my Durham family listing for more information regarding the Durham connection.
Here is my unsubstantiated HUNT lineage as I learned it from other sources. The first two generations no longer belong to me, but I include them for the benefit of others researching this Hunt line:
- Gov. Richard HUNT (arrived in Bermuda in 1647), b. ca. 1620 Bromley, Kent, d. aft. 20 Feb. 1687, Southampton Tribe, Bermuda; md. Sarah ______, b. ca. 1620 Bromley, Kent, d. Bermuda
- Judith HUNT, b. ca. 1640 Bromley, Kent, d. prob. in Bermuda; md. 14 Feb. 1660 Bermuda to Henry DURHAM, b. ca. 1640 ?, d. prob. in Bermuda
--**Note**New evidence says that Henry Durham is NOT the father of the Thomas Durham who married Dorothy, as that Thomas Durham (son of Henry) died young and left a will in Bermuda.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- Thomas DURHAM, b. ca. 1661 Bermuda, d. 1715 Richmond Co., VA; md. ca. 1680 Richmond Co., VA to Dorothy SMOOT? or GILBERT?, b. ca. 1660,d. aft. 1715 Richmond Co., VA
- Mary DURHAM, b. 5 June 1686 Richmond Co., VA, d. aft. 1740 Richmond Co., VA; md. ca. 1701 Richmond Co., VA to Thomas DODSON, b. 15 May 1681 Rappahannock Co., VA, d. 21 Nov. 1740 Richmond Co., VA
- Rev. Thomas DODSON, b. ca. 1709 Richmond Co., VA, d. bef. 21 Oct. 1783 Pittsylvania Co., VA; md. 3 April 1726 Richmond Co., VA to Elizabeth ROSE, b. ca. 1706 VA, d. aft. 1766 Fauquier Co., VA
- Thomas DODSON (Second Fork), b. 3 Oct. 1728 Richmond Co., VA, d. 1811 Hawkins Co., TN; md. ca. 1747 VA to Mary NEVILLE, b. ca. 1730 VA, d. aft. 1790 TN
- Agatha DODSON, b. Dec. 1749 VA, d. Nov. (aft. 1830) Maury Co., TN; md. bef. 1769 to Moses HANKS, b. 15 July 1746 Richmond Co., VA, d. 19 Aug. 1831 Maury Co., TN
- Elizabeth HANKS, b. 9 Sept. 1782 Pittsylvania Co., VA, d. 1833 Maury Co., TN; md. 1 June 1799 Lincoln Co., KY to Robert WILLIAMS, b. 1776 VA, d. 1837 Maury Co., TN
- Agatha WILLIAMS, b. 2 June 1802 Maury Co., TN, d. 13 July 1874 McNairy Co., TN; md. 22 Sept. 1817 Columbia, Maury Co., TN to James Matthew WOOLVERTON, b. 12 May 1797 Somerset, Pulaski Co., KY, d. 24 July 1878 McNairy Co., TN
- Nancy Artemisia WOOLVERTON, b. 28 Aug. 1829 Maury Co., TN, d. 24 Jan. 1926 Adamsville, McNairy Co., TN; md. 28 Dec. 1848 Jonesborough, Tippah Co., MS to Luther Rice LITTLEFIELD, b. 25 Dec. 1826 Spartanburg, Spartanburg Co., SC, d. 25 Mar. 1903 Adamsville, McNairy Co., TN
- Sarah Agatha LITTLEFIELD, b. 28 Oct. 1849 Jonesborough, Tippah Co., MS, d. 7 Feb. 1940 Leapwood, McNairy Co., TN; md. 18 Oct. 1868 McNairy Co., TN to William Ashley HARRIS, b. 19 May 1849 Hardin Co., TN, d. 12 Mar. 1916 McNairy Co., TN (both buried in the Mars Hill Cemetery, McNairy Co., TN)
- James David HARRIS, b. 9 Jan. 1871 McNairy Co., TN, d. 22 Sept. 1938 Marlow, Stephens Co., OK; md. 28 Oct. 1894 McNairy Co., TN to Docia Bell PYRON, b. 5 Oct. 1872 McNairy Co., TN, d. 1 Sept. 1944 Lyford, Willacy Co., TX
- William Earl HARRIS, b. 8 Aug. 1895 McNairy Co., TN, d. 5 Jan. 1967 Cortez, Montezuma Co., CO; md. 12 Dec. 1915 Parker Co., TX to Orpha Antonia Hazel GARVIN, b. 11 Nov. 1895 Jack Co., TX, d. 21 Dec. 1979 Cortez, Montezuma Co., CO *These are my grandparents.
HUNT E-MAIL LIST
If you have queries concerning the HUNT surname, you may post these at the Hunt Family Genealogy List which is a part of the Rootsweb e-mail discussion lists. It offers free queries and discussion on the Hunt surname and variant spellings.
To subscribe, send an e-mail to: HUNT-Lemail@example.com
Leave subject line blank (This will be ignored).
In the body of the message type: subscribe
Then a welcome message will be sent telling how to post messages. Once you are subscribed, you may send a query to everyone on the list by sending e-mail to: HUNT-L@rootsweb.com
Archived postings to the Hunt e-mail list can be found on the WEB at:
When prompted, type in HUNT for the name of the list. A second screen will appear where you can choose a year and type in a search word(s). If you type in HUNT you would probably get all the previous postings to the list. You can also type in a person's name instead or a locality to narrow your search. If you wish to do a search by date, try entering it in quotation marks with the day and then the month as "01 Mar" using single digit dates preceded by a zero and only the first three letters of the month.
ROOTSWEB HUNT MESSAGE BOARDS
There are several Message Boards on Rootsweb
which are set up for the HUNT surname. These boards are for posting information in the following categories: BIBLE, BIOGRAPHY, BIRTH, CEMETERY, CENSUS, DEATH, DEED, IMMIGRATION, LOOKUP, MARRIAGE, MILITARY, OBITUARY, PENSION, QUERIES, and WILLS
. The search perameters and drop down screen on the main page allow you to do a key word search or to view all postings according to one of the above categories. Click on the icon below to access the Hunt Message Boards.
Post a query (or information from any one of the above categories) on any HUNT name or related family. Please give dates, and locations they lived. Try to give as much information as possible.
An online genealogy forum for posting queries has also been set up specifically for the HUNT family on GenForum. It can be found at the following address:
***Note***During the Fall of 1998, GenForum combined with Family Tree Maker, which means that all queries and information posted to that site becomes the property of Family Tree Maker. This is still a good site to look up information and get contact names for the HUNT lines you are searching, but be advised that if you now post a new query or a response to something on that site, chances are that sometime in the future Family Tree Maker will include that information on a CD-ROM which they will sell for profit to anyone who is interested. I do not like the idea of someone else using my hard researched information and ideas and selling them for a profit without my knowledge. This same practice is evident on all of the Family Tree Maker pages which are found on the internet, if you will read the disclaimer notices on those pages. I recommend the Family Tree Maker pages as good look up pages, but I don't recommend posting information there. Similar things can be said for Ancestry.com and MyFamily.com which are connected to each other and seek to make a profit from genealogical materials on the internet.
Copyright (c) 1998-2003.
Last updated June 1, 2003.
Back to Glenn Gohr's Genealogy Page