Compiled by Glenn Gohr
I first became aware of my Ballinger lineage in 1980 after a distant cousin, Charlotte Bond, of Danielsville, GA sent me a book called NOTES ON CHARLES BOND, SR. AND HIS DESCENDANTS FROM 1733 by Catherine Sams Bond Gheesling, 1975. This book contains a wealth of information and source documentation on the BOND family which came from Goochland County, VA and settled in Elbert, Franklin, Madison, and other counties in Georgia. One of the lines they intermarried with was the BALLINGER family. Many times this surname is also spelled BALLENGER.
Another cousin who has helped me on this line is Imogene Bennett who lives in my same town of Springfield, MO and also is very active in the Ozarks Genealogical Society here. Her husband, Rex Bennett, is descended from the WADE family on two different lines and connects back to Joseph Ballinger who married Charity Wade. Also during 1998 I began sharing information with Nancy Guest who is also an excellent source of information on the Ballinger Family of Virginia and Georgia. Nancy is a descendant of Mary Walker Bond Hilley, daughter of Nathan Bond & Elizabeth Ballinger.
The best source of information on the BALLINGER surname is the THREE CENTURIES OF BALLINGERS IN AMERICA by Emma Barrett Reeves. It is available through Blair's Book Service, 2503 Springpark Way, Richardson, TX 75082 for $35.00 plus $4.00 shipping and handling. The book is more than 600 pages long.
The order information is listed as: THREE CENTURIES OF BALLINGERS IN AMERICA by Emma Barrett Reeves- - 620 pages, offset, hard bound, full name index, illustrated with maps, charts, pictures, descendants of English Quaker emigrants, Henry and Mary (Harding) Ballinger who married in West Jersey in 1689. The migration leads through Virginia, both Carolinas, Georgia, Ohio, Indiana, and other states north and west. New colored coat of arms added. $35.00. Order number is: XS3543
The website for information is:
Another good book on the BALLENGERS of South Carolina is BALLENGERS OF TRYON ANDA A BALLENGER GENEALOGY
by Bruce Ballenger
His book is for sale for $42. You may send the check to:
Because of my research on the Ballinger family, in November of 1997 I started a Ballinger E-Mail List through Rootsweb. This list really took off with lots of Ballinger researchers coming together to share ideas and information. Some of the Ballingers also spell the name as BALLENGER. And the early generations back in England and France spell the name as BALLENGEE.
6605 Gaywind Drive
Charlotte, NC 28226
Here is my BALLINGER lineage as far as can be proven:
- Henry BALLINGER, b. ca. 1660 Benninghamshire (??), England, d. 1733 Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ; md. 9 Apr. 1684 in NJ to Mary HARDING, b. ca. 1660 NJ, d. aft. 1733 NJ
- Joseph BALLENGER, b. ca. 1691 Burlington, NJ, d. 1744 Goochland Co., VA; md. ca. 1720 NJ to Charity WADE, b. ca. 1694 NJ, d. aft. 1744 Goochland Co., VA
- Elizabeth BALLENGER, b. ca. 1729 MD, d. Dec. 1823 Franklin Co., GA; md. ca. 1755 Amherst Co., VA to Nathan BOND, Sr., b. ca. 1734 Goochland Co., VA, d. April 1815 Elbert Co., GA
- Richard Cox BOND, Sr., b. ca. 1760 Amherst Co., VA, d. 31 Jan. 1837 Franklin Co., GA; md. 15 May 1783 Amherst Co., VA to Susannah MAYS, b. ca. 1763 Amherst Co., VA, d. 6 Nov. 1843 Cobb Co., GA
- Nelly BOND, b. 27 Mar. 1798, d. ca. 1847 Lafayette Co., MS; md. 20 Dec. 1821 Franklin Co., GA to John SARTAIN, Sr., b. ca. 1800 Madison Co., GA, d. Aug. 1869 Yalobusha Co., MS
- Russell SARTAIN (brother of Elizabeth Ann Sartain below), b. 24 Aug. 1828 Madison Co., GA, d. 24 April 1909 Jack Co., TX; md. 3rd ca. 1869 Danielsville, GA to Martha Auntny BEARD, b. 23 Oct. 1833 Madison Co., GA, d. 23 Mar. 1913 Jack Co., TX;
Elizabeth Ann SARTAIN (sister of Russell Sartain above), b. 30 July 1837 Madison Co., GA, d. 29 Oct. 1921 Katie, OK; md. 16 May 1851 Lafayette Co., MS to Henry Washington GARVIN, b. 28 June 1833 Madison Co., GA, d. 21 Feb. 1909 GARVIN Co., OK
- Maizie Elmira Catherine SARTAIN (daughter of Russell SARTAIN and Martha BEARD above), b. 7 Dec. 1871 Water Valley, Yalobusha Co., MS, d. 15 March 1954 Morton, TX (Buried at Morton Cemetery); md. 12 Dec. 1888 Jack Co., TX to McCager Martin GARVIN (son of Elizabeth Ann SARTAIN and Henry Washington GARVIN above), b. 19 Oct. 1856 Newton Co., MS, d. 17 Dec. 1920 Frederick, Tillman Co., OK (Buried at Hackberry Cemetery) (first cousins on the Sartain side)
- Orpha Antonia Hazel GARVIN, b. 11 November 1895 Jack Co., TX, d. 21 Dec. 1979 Cortez, CO; md. 12 Dec. 1915 Parker Co., TX to William Earl HARRIS, b. 8 Aug. 1895 McNairy Co., TN, d. 5 Jan. 1967 Cortez, CO (Both buried at Dove Creek Cemetery, Dove Creek, CO) *These are my grandparents.
Through the Ballinger E-mail list, I have discovered that I am a distant cousin of President George Walker Bush through his mother, Barbara (Pierce) Bush. Here is the lineage:
Sources for this connection can be found at these web sites:
- Henry Ballinger (ca. 1660-ca. 1733) = Mary Harding, (ca. 1663-1739)
- Thomas Ballinger (1685-1739) = Elizabeth/Mary Elkington (b. 1696)
- Samuel Ballinger (1733-1822) = Elizabeth Groff (1740-1786)
- Joshua Ballinger (1762-1814) = Sarah Jones (1762-1817)
- Sarah Ballinger (1800-1856) = ????? Sprague
- Mary Jane Sprague (ca. 1823-1857) = Jonathan Haines (b. ca. 1819)
- Sarah Haines (1855-1888) = Jacob Marion Flickinger (1849-1917)
- Lula Dell Flickinger (b. 1875) = James Edgar Robinson (1868-1931)
- Pauline Robinson (1896-1949) = Marvin Pierce (1893-1969)
- Barbara Pierce (b. 1925) = George Herbert Walker Bush, President of the U.S.A. (b. 1924)
- George Walker Bush, President of the U.S.A. (b. July 6, 1946)
Nicholas James Bridgewater’s George W. Bush page
William Addams Reitwiesner’s George W. Bush page
Ancestry of George W. Bush
Cousins of George W. Bush
George W. Bush is a 9th cousin of Democratic candidate John Edwards who ran for vice president in the 2004 election. Here is John Edwards' kinship back to Henry and Mary (Harding) Ballinger: :
A sources for this connection can be found at this web site:
- Henry Ballinger (ca. 1660-ca. 1733) = Mary Harding, (ca. 1663-1739)
- Joseph Ballinger (ca. 1691-1744) = Charity Wade (1694-aft. 1744)
- Elizabeth Ballinger (ca. 1729-1823) = Nathan Bond (ca. 1734-1815)
- Mary Walker Bond (b. ca. 1757) = Thomas Hilley (ca. 1765-1838)
- Emilia Mildred Hilley (1783-1868) = Rev. John Wade (1789-ca. 1873)
- James Adrian Clive Wade (b. 1823) = Vina Acre (b. 1850)
- Rev. Thomas Wade (1852-1942) = Matilda
- Wesley Wade (1887-1928) = Katie Sams (b. ca. 1890)
- Hershel Thomas Wade (1908-1972) = Myrtle Duncan (1909-1997)
- Catharine Wade (b. 1933) = Wallace Edwards (b. 1932)
- John Edwards. (b. June 10, 1952)
Cousins of George W. Bush
BALLINGER E-MAIL LIST
If you have queries concerning the BALLINGER surname, you may post these at the Ballinger Family Genealogy List which I started in November 1997.
Ballinger Genealogy List is a part of the Rootsweb e-mail discussion lists. It offers free queries and discussion on the Ballinger surname and variant spellings.
To subscribe, send an e-mail to: BALLINGER-Lemail@example.com
Leave subject line blank (This will be ignored).
In the body of the message type: subscribe
Then a welcome message will be sent telling how to post messages. Once you are subscribed, you may send a query to everyone on the list by sending e-mail to: BALLINGER-L@rootsweb.com
Archived postings to the Ballinger e-mail list can be found on the WEB at:
When prompted, type in BALLINGER for the name of the list. A second screen will appear where you can choose a year and type in a search word(s). If you type in BALLINGER you would probably get all the previous postings to the list. You can also type in a person's name instead or a locality to narrow your search. If you wish to do a search by date, try entering it in quotation marks with the day and then the month as "01 Mar" using single digit dates preceded by a zero and only the first three letter of the month.
ROOTSWEB BALLINGER MESSAGE BOARDS
There are several Message Boards on Rootsweb which are set up for the BALLINGER surname. These boards are for posting information in the following categories: BIBLE, BIOGRAPHY, BIRTH, CEMETERY, CENSUS, DEATH, DEED, IMMIGRATION, LOOKUP, MARRIAGE, MILITARY, OBITUARY, PENSION, QUERIES, and WILLS. The search perameters and drop down screen on the main page allow you to do a key word search or to view all postings according to one of the above categories. Click on the icon below to access the Ballinger Message Boards.
Post a query (or information from any one of the above categories) on any BALLINGER name or related family. Please give dates, and locations they lived. Try to give as much information as possible.
ROOTSWEB BALLENGER MESSAGE BOARDS
There are several Message Boards on Rootsweb which are set up for the BALLENGER surname. These boards are for posting information in the following categories: BIBLE, BIOGRAPHY, BIRTH, CEMETERY, CENSUS, DEATH, DEED, IMMIGRATION, LOOKUP, MARRIAGE, MILITARY, OBITUARY, PENSION, QUERIES, and WILLS. The search perameters and drop down screen on the main page allow you to do a key word search or to view all postings according to one of the above categories. Click on the icon below to access the Ballenger Message Boards.
Post a query (or information from any one of the above categories) on any BALLENGER name or related family. Please give dates, and locations they lived. Try to give as much information as possible.
An online genealogy forum for posting queries has also been setup specifically for the BALLINGER family. It can be found at the following address:
For those who are interested, there is also an online genealogy forum for posting queries has also been set up specifically for the BALLENGER family. It can be found at the following address:
For those who are interested, there is also an online genealogy forum for posting queries has also been set up specifically for the BOLLINGER family. It can be found at the following address:
***Note***During the Fall of 1998, GenForum combined with Family Tree Maker, which means that all queries and information posted to that site becomes the property of Family Tree Maker. This is still a good site to look up information and get contact names for the BALLINGER/BALLENGER/BOLLINGER lines you are searching, but be advised that if you now post a new query or a response to something on that site, chances are that sometime in the future Family Tree Maker will include that information on a CD-ROM which they will sell for profit to anyone who is interested. I do not like the idea of someone else using my hard researched information and ideas and selling them for a profit without my knowledge. This same practice is evident on all of the Family Tree Maker pages which are found on the internet, if you will read the disclaimer notices on those pages. I recommend the Family Tree Maker pages as good look up pages, but I don't recommend posting information there. Similar things can be said for Ancestry.com and MyFamily.com which are connected to each other and seek to make a profit from genealogical materials on the internet.
BALLINGER WEB PAGES
Some other Ballinger researchers and web sites include:
Personal Web Sites at RootsWeb - BALLINGER
Ballinger links at My CinnamonToast® Genealogy
Francis Ballinger Family maintained by Elroy Christenson
Tex Dick's Web Page, (has much info. on the descendants of Joseph Ballenger and Charity Wade of New Jersey whose descendants settled in Georgia and Mississippi and families they intermarried with such as Bond, Redwine, Sartain, and Wade) maintained by Tex Dick.
The Ballinger/Ballenger Families maintained by Pauline Phelps and included with her Kemper family records.
Copyright © 1998-2004.
Last updated November 22, 2004.
Back to Glenn Gohr's Genealogy Page