Patrick Glynn was born in "Galway, Ireland" in the year
1828. While he was growing up, the whole country was suffering great hardship
as a result of the infamous Potato Blight. Many mark 1845 as the beginning
of the period referred to as "The Great Hunger". Around
1850, Patrick emigrated to Canada. It is thought that the family he left
behind in Galway included a number of younger siblings. When and where he
landed in Canada is not known. Since he was a "citizen" of the
British Empire, he could enter Canada routinely without any "papers"
(not until 1947 was there Canadian "Citizenship"). At this early
date also, there were no governmental requirements for ship Captains to
file passenger manifests. As a result, the name of the ship and the port
of entry remain a mystery.There is in our family"tradition" much
information which, at the moment, cannot be authenticated. It has been reported
that most/all of Patrick's siblings "later" emigrated to the US
(probably through the Port of Boston.) It is a possiblity which might be
tracked down with greater ease if Patrick's birthplace/Parish/Townland and
his parents names were known.
Patrick shows up in the Province of Ontario. He is listed in the Census
of 1871 as "head of household" and his occupation as "laborer"
(his name is spelled "Glyn"). At some time around 1855, he married,
Bridget Kelly. Bridget was born in "Ireland" (according to burial
information). The couple settled in the area of the Niagara Peninsula. It
appears that they lived in Welland, Thorold and Niagara. Their eldest son,
Michael Joseph, was born in 1856. In 1860, Bridget was born in "Thorold"(according
to IBVM records). Patrick J. was born in 1861 in Niagara , as were the rest
of their children: Ellen, 1863; Mary, 1870; Simon, 1867; Kathyrn, 1871.
Information about the family is found in the records of Our Lady of Peace
Church and St.Patrick's (Carmelite) Church in Niagara Falls, Canada, the
Cathedral of St.Catherine of Alexandria in St.Catharines, and in the Archives
of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, North America in Toronto. Of
the seven children of Patrick and Bridget, only three married: Patrick J.;
Ellen; and, Simon. The eldest, Michael Joseph, and the youngest, "Katie",
never married. Both Bridget and Mary entered the "Sisters of Loretto"
(Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary). Bridget took the name: Sister M.Dominica;
and Mary, Sister M.Martha. When Patrick died on 17 August 1904, his occupation/profession
is listed as "gentleman". Bridget died on 7 April 1907. Both are
buried in Fairview Cemetery on Stanley Avenue, in Niagara Falls, Canada.
Buried with them in the same Section/Plots are all of their children (except
Simon, who is buried in Niagara Falls, NY) and the children's spouses and
most of their grandchildren (except Simon's family) and their spouses.
Patrick J. married "Jennie" Williamson of St.Catharines
in June 1893 in the Cathedral of St.Catherine of Alexandria in St.Catharines.
Simon Glynn, his youngest brother, was his "Best Man". Patrick
and Jennie settled in the Niagara area. Their children were: Joseph Patrick
(1894); Bernard James (1897); Raymond A. (1900); Clarence Leo (1902); Mary
Carmelita (1904); Florence Claudia (1905); twins -Michael Ignatius and Basil
Aloysius (1907); and, Marguerite Genevieve (1911).
Bernard James Glynn perished on Tuesday 29 May 1917 in the Somme,
France. He was a 2Lt in the 34th Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps and
was only 20 when he was killed. He is buried in the Villars-Bretonneaux
Military Cemetery, Somme, France. Bernard is listed in the "Books
of Remembrance" in Ottawa. Michael Ignatius (Basil Aloysius' twin)
died at age 8 months in 1908. Mary Carmelita (m.William KEYS) died in 1959;
Raymond in 1972; Clarence in 1976; Joseph Patrick in 1977; Marguerite Genevieve
(m. Norman WORAM) in 1985; Basil Aloysius in 1991; Florence Claudia (m.
Thomas J.B. BERRIGAN) in 1993 .
Ellen Glynn married Farley Edward Kelley of Cobourg, Ontario. They
had three children: William Joseph Kelley (b.1894 d.1948) m. Stella Murtagh;
Loretto Kelley(b.1895 d.1970) Sister M.St.Denis, IBVM; Francis Joseph Kelley
(b.1897 d.1958) m. Nora Sullivan. Farley died at a young age in 1898, he
was only 34. Ellen died in 1928, she was 64. Ellen, Farley, William J. and
Stella Murtagh Kelly, Francis J. and Nora Sullivan Kelley and St.M.St.Denis,
IBVM are all buried in Fairview Cemetery, Stanley Avenue, Niagara Falls,
Raphael S. Glynn, Rev.Leo J. Glynn,
Mary Glynn, James F. Glynn, Vincent E.Glynn
Simon J. Glynn and Katherine Madigan
James F. Glynn, Ray Glynn, Mary McRae,
Olga Runnels Connell
Clipping from the Niagara Falls Gazette June 10, 1934
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at 9 o'clock on Saturday morning
in Sacred Heart Church, when Miss Mary W. McRae, only daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. George D. McRae, of 59th Street, and Raphael S. Glynn, son of Mr. and
Mrs. S.J.Glynn, of Michigan Avenue, were united in marriage at a solemn
high nuptial Mass. The Rev.Father Leo J.Glynn, brother of the groom, assisted
by Father John Ryan, Father J.P.Foley, and Father Bernard Magee, performed
The bride was lovely in a white crepe gown, made princess style with
a deep ruffle at the hem and a short train. Her sleeves were long and tight
and her short veil fell from a turban cap, caught with orange blossoms.
She carried a bouquet of white roses. Mrs.Edward Connell, her matron of
honor, was attired in pale blue mousseline de soie, with which she wore
a pink picture hat and pink lace gloves and carried pink roses, larkspur
James F.Glynn, brother of the groom, was best man and the ushers were
William A.McRae and Edward F.Connell. Mrs.McRae, mother of the bride, was
gowned in a Navy blue ensemble with white accessories and the groom's mother,
Mrs.Glynn, wore a blue and white- printed chiffon and a blue hat.
Following the wedding ceremony, a wedding breakfast was served the immediate
families at the Hotel Niagara. Covers were laid for 25 guests at the brides
table, which was centered with a wedding cake. An informal reception was
held at the home of the bride's parents from 2 to 4 o'clock. The house was
beautifully decorated for the occasion with seasonable flowers. Assisting
Mrs.McRae were Mrs.J.B.Wile, and Mrs.Helen Allen. Out-of-town guests included
Mrs.Martha Wilcox of Williamsport, Pa.
Mrs. and Mrs. Glynn left Saturday on a trip to Detroit, Michigan, and
will be a home after June 23 in Stephenson Avenue.
Parties given for Mrs.Glynn before her marriage included a linen shower
by Mrs.Edward Connell, variety showers by Mrs.Leonard Allen, Mrs.J.K.Borneman,
Mrs.William Wayland and Mrs.Herbert Michel, the girls of the Gilman Fanfold
office, a china shower given by Miss Beth Hooper, a personal shower given
by the Misses Emme Johnson and Barbara Parker, parties given by the Fidella
class and choir of the Bacon Memorial Church.
Ray Glynn having been employed by the Gilman-Fanfold Company in Niagara
Falls, relocated to New Jersey in 1935. The Regional office for the Company
was in Newark (Broad Street). The company later merged with American Salesbook
Company to form Moore Corporation Ltd. He became District Manager in Newark,
later Ray took over for Moore in New York City as first a District and later
a Regional Sales manager. When he retired from Moore, he had served for
about forty years. During his years with Moore he was often recognized for
his sales and managerial accomplishments.
Ray and Mary lived in East Orange, Warren, Fanwood and finally, Westfield.
From 1940 until 1982, Westfield was their home.Ray commuted daily to Newark
and New York City on the then Central Railroad of New Jersey (the old "Jersey
Central"). For many years they were members of the Holy Trinity Church
(Westfield Avenue). In later years they became members of the new parish
of Immaculate Heart of Mary in Scotch Plains. Both Ray and Mary took up
golf later in life and it became a passion for both of them. They joined
the Echo Lake Country Club in 1944 and participated fully in all the Club's
activities. Ray later served on the Board of Governors for the Club. Mary
was inimately invovled with the Girls Scouts of America, Watchung Council
for years. In the 1950's Ray got involved with "Barbershoppers"
(S.P.E.B.S.Q.S.A., Inc.). Later he became the recognized "expert"
on the category of "Stage Presence" and authored the guidelines
for that category used throughout the worldwide chapters of the Society.
He was selected as a "Category Speclialist" and International
Judge. He traveled widely (especially after his retirement from Moore) to
serve on Judging panels - Coast to Coast (and Canada). Postumously, he was
elected to the Mid-Atlantic Dictrict "Hall of Fame" for his contributions
to the Society.
Ray and Mary finally moved from their Arrowwood Drive residence in late
1982. They found a retirement community "Roosmoor" which suited
them. They quickly became involved in the activities of that community.
They continued with their golf and bowling at Echo Lake and they joined
a morning bowling league (bowling was another activity which they both enjoyed).
Sadly, on February 23, 1983, Ray collapsed right after completion of his
bowling. He suffered a massive coronary - he was 76. Mary came to live with
her children - first in Westfield and later, in Pleasantville. As her condition
worsened she was admitted to a Nursing facility - Our Lady's Residence,
Pleasantville. She died peacefully on December 12, 1997 while at the home
of her daughter, Mrs.Sheila Andes. She would have been 93 her next birthday
Cemetery, Canada - other info