This page is a list of all information on my site relating to Taddington and Priestcliffe so far there is the following:-
Taddington - chapel in parish of Bakewell
1801 85 houses, 85 families, 248 people
1811 88 houses, 89 families, 515 people
"TADDINGTON and PRIESTCLIFFE form a joint township and chapelry, to which Blackwell is annexed, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of High Peak, union, parish, county court district of Bakewell, rural deanery of Buxton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield, on the Bakewell and Buxton road, being 6 miles from either place, 4 ½ miles south from Tideswell and 2 miles from Miller's Dale railway station. The church of St Michael consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, and a western tower with broach spire, containing 3 bells, rehung 1876; two of these bear inscriptions dedicatory to St Michael, the remaining bell being dated 1669: no part of the existing edifice seems older than the fourteenth century, and it is probable that the church was entirely rebuilt about 1350; the east window of the chancel is a good specimen of this style, and has 5 lights; four arches separate the nave from the aisles on either side and are supported on slender and somewhat lofty octagon piers; the clerestory windows were an addition in the Perpendicular period, but the south doorway is Decorated, and has a later porch: in the chancel, affixed to the north wall, is a stone reading slab, projecting 9 inched at a height of 3 feet from the ground; similar slabs being found at Crich and Spondon; on the south side is a small piscina, as well as an ogee sepulchral arch, divided into 3 panels: In the south aisle is a second and more elaborate piscina, and brasses to Richard and Agnes Blackwall, of Blackwall, in this parish, and their family, the former attired as a civilian, with a gypciere, or pouch, and the latter in a conventional dress, she having, after her husband's death, taken a vow of perpetual widowhood: the inscription, in black, is dated 1505: near these is a mutilated alabaster slab, with the rudely incised, but headless figure of a man; the inscription is obliterated, or nearly so, but it belonged to the same family: the font is a plain octagon, of Perpendicular date; the original font seems to have found its way into an adjacent public house, and is now fitted with a lid, and used for ordinary culinary purposes: in the churchyard is an ancient cross, consisting of a pedestal 2 feet square, from which arises an incomplete shaft, 6 feet in height, incised with chevrons and other markings; it is probably Celtic, and may have been erected by Celtic missionaries of the seventh century. The register dates from about 1640. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £145 nett, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Bakewell and held by the Rev. John Bateson B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. There are other charities, of about £10 12s yearly, for distribution. Here is a Wesleyan chapel . One of the best examples now existing of the burying-place of the ancient Britons is situated on the summitt of Five Wells Hill, about 1½ miles west-by-south from the village; it was opened in 1846, when quantities of bones of both sexes and various ages were found. The Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Colonel Leslie. The soil is light, on limestone. The chief crops are hay and oats, but the land is mainly pasture for dairy purposes, a large quantity of milk being sent from here to Liverpool. The area is 3,972 acres (inclusive of Blackwell); rateable value, £4,049; the population in 1881 was 455 in the parish, and 408 in the township.
BLACKWELL township contains 1,075 acres, rateable
value, £ 1,752; and had 47 inhabitants in 1881. The manor of
Blackwell belonged to William Peverel in the reign of Henry I; the
whole now belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.
SCHOOLS:- Charity, endowed with £70 yearly arising from land; William B. Hardy, master
Endowed, for 12 poor children with an income of £15 per annum, arising from land; Miss Elizabeth Siddall, mistress"
TADDINGTON and PRIESTCLIFFE form a joint township and chapelry, with Blackwell township annexed, together contain 2855 acres of land, principally limestone, and in 1851 had 117 houses and 488 inhabitants, of whom 248 were males and 240 females; rateable value £1890.
TADDINGTON is a considerable and ancient village on the Bakewell and Buxton road, 4 miles S from Tideswell. The church, St. Michael's, a perpetual curacy, certified value £10 10s, now £90, has been augmented with £800 Queen Anne's bonnty and £800 parliamentary grant, and is in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. It is a small neat structure with a spire, situated in a field on the northside of the village. The vicar of Bakewell, patron, and Rev. Wm. Hy. Hugall incumbent, who resides in the parsonage, a neat residence near the church, erected by the late Rev John Henry Coke, in 1840. William de Hamilton died seized a third part of the manor of Taddington in 1286. It is now considered as parcel of the Queen's manor of High Peak , on lease to the Duke of Devonshire. The following are scattered farms:- Taddington Field is a large farm, residence and property of Mr Wm. Bagshaw. Five Wells, 1½ miles W. Wheel, Upper and Nether 1 mile S.E. from Taddington. Col. Leslie is the principal owner and lord of the manor. Lord Denman, Mr Wm. Clay, Mr Wm. Bagshaw, Messrs. Wm. and Geo. Wilkinson, James Beech Esq., Mr James Redfern and Tideswell school are considerable owners. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, erected 1833.
PRIESTCLIFFE or PRESTLEY, is a small village, 1 mile N. from Taddington, consisting principally of farm-houses, and Priestcliffe Ditch, a farm 1 mile W. Here are many small freeholders. On the western side of the lofty conical hill of Priestcliffe, in a dark coloured ferruginous soil, are found a few quartz crystals similar to Buxton diamonds.
return to top
William Higginbottom and Ellen his wife, as stated on a benefaction table in the chapel, gave 10s a year to the poor of the liberty of Taddington, to be paid out of the lands called Tym's crofts. We are informed that Ellen only had a lifetime interest in the land and was incapable of of creating any permanent change thereon; and that 5s is now distributed amongst the poor of the township.
Charles Hayward, in 1773, left 5s to the poor of Taddington to be distributed in bread, on the 4th January, for ever; to be paid out of certain housing and lands in Taddington; 5s is distributed yearly on account of this charity.
Rev. Francis Gisborne's Charity - The annual sum of £5 10s received by the incumbent, for this charity, is laid out in purchasing coarse woolen cloth and flannel, and distributed to the poor about Christmas.
Rev Roger Wilkson of Wormhill, in 1714, gave all his lands at Biggin, in the parish of Hartington, for the benefit of a free school, for maintaining a schoolmaster to teach gratis all the family of Wilkson that shall reside at Taddington, or in the parishes of Bakewell and Tideswell; and for 10 more poor children in Priestcliffe, Taddington, Blackwell, and Brushfield; to trustees on trust, after the death of his wife, and after all his legacies were discharged, to raise so much money as would make his land at Biggin worth £20 a year for ever, for the use of the above, provided the curate be not schoolmaster; and further, "it is my will, that if there be any of the Wilksons qualified for masters they may be chosen before any other; I also bequeath £3 a year for the schoolmaster at Wormhill, that shall be elected by the said trustees of Priestcliffe school." By indentures dated May 1715, John Buxton, in consideration of £445 paid by Elizabeth Wilkson, widow of the donor, conveyed a messuage and outbuildings in Chelmorton, containing 37A 3R 24P , which , together with copyhold premises in Biggin, containing 6 acres, were surrendered by the donor to the uses of his will at a court in Hartington, 19th Oct 1691. Mr George Wilkson, the late schoolmaster, was at a court holden 19th Oct 1820, admitted to the lands at Biggin, in trust for the school, being 7A 2R 2P, an allotment on Alsop Moor having been added was let for £1 a year. The freehold estate at Chelmorton comprises a house and outbuildings in the village with 65A 0R 25P of land of which 27A 1R 4P was an allotment made under the Chelmorton enclosure act, about 1821, exclusive of 7A 2P sold for the payment of expenses. These premises, now let on lease for 21 years, by the schoolmaster for £60 per annum, now said to be worth £70. The annual value thereof is about £80 per annum. Mr Geo. Wilkson, the late schoolmaster, received the rents, against whom an information was filed in the court of Chancery, in 1804. This suit was settled in 1846 against the late Mr Geo. Wilkson, and in 1847 a handsome school with a house for the master was erected of limestone; it is now taught on the National plan. there are 30 free scholars.
Rev Roger Wilkson also by his will, gave his two nephews Jno. and Wm. Wilkson, and their heirs certain lands, and he charged the land he had given to John with 8d every Lord's-day, and the land given to William 4d, every Lord's-day, when the land shall come into their hands, to be laid out in twelve-penny worth of white bread every Sunday. The weekly sums of 8d and 4d are respectively paid in respect of the above lands. Four three-penny loaves are sent every Sunday to Taddington chapel and given to four poor persons attending divine service.
BLACKWELL is a small scattered village and township, in Taddington chapelry, 4 miles S.W. from Tideswell, 7 miles W.N.W. from Bakewell, forms a romantic district on limestone, contains about 1000 acres of land, and in 1851 had 10 houses and 28 inhabitants, of whom 11 were males and 17 females; rateable value £715. Duke of Devonshire is lord of the manor and owner of nearly all the township. The manor was given by William Peverel to the Priory of Lenton in Nottinghamshire, in the reign of Henry I. It appears by Pope Nicholas's Valor, that the manor consisted of four oxgangs of land, then valued at £1 5s per annum. This manor was granted in 1522, to Sir William Cavendish. In 1641 it was included in the Earl of Newcastle's estates, and then valued at £306 0s 4d. There was another manor in Blackwell, which was the property and residence for several generations of the ancient family of Blackwall, the last of whom having become greatly involved in debt, an extent was issued at the suit of the crown, in the reign of Charles II, for the enormous sum of £130,632 7s 10d. The manor was seized and granted to the family of Hope. Lady Margaret Hope, daughter of the earl of Haddington, was possessed of it in 1702 - now both belong to his Grace, the Duke of Devonshire.
Directory -- Arthur H. Heathcote, gent., The Cottage, Miss Grace Wright, and the Farmers are Thos. Frost, John Heathcote, Hall Green, John Smith, and John Webster.
return to top
Post Office, at Mrs. Elizabeth Hibbert's; letters arrive from Bakewell at 1.30p.m., and are despatched at 4.30p.m.
Those marked 1 reside at Priestcliffe; 2, Priestcliffe Ditch; the rest at Taddington, or, where specified.
click on a photo to enlarge
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids