Was born in Indiana, in 1837. In 1854 he emigrated to Pike county, Ill., and located in the town of Barry, where he carried on blacksmithing. He remained in Barry for four years, and then went to the town of Eldara, where he continued blacksmithing for about three years. He then sold out, and purchased of Fisher & Davis their stock of dry goods, to which he added a general assortment of merchandise, consisting of dry goods, groceries, &c., and has been successfully engaged in merchandising ever since.
In 1862, Mr. Burke was married to Miss E. A. Davis, of Eldara. They have had born to them three children, one of whom died in infancy; the other two — James Alonzo, and Ada — are yet living. Mr. Burke is a man of good business ability, and with his integrity and energy is sure to succeed.