Is the third son of Richard S. Humphrey, and was born in the state of Kentucky, in 1824. In 1836 he came to Illinois, and settled in Madison county, and remained there until 1842. He then went to Green county, Illinois, and remained two years, after which he resided in various places in Illinois and Iowa, until 1847, when he married Mrs. Elenor D. Camerer, the widow of Wm. B. Camerer, deceased. In 1847 Mr. Humphrey bought land and settled on section 33, in Pearl township, Illinois, where he still resides. Mrs. Humphrey came with her first husband to Pike county, in 1836, when he died, leaving her with four children — three daughters, and one son.
Mr. Humphrey was quite successful in farming and stock-raising, until 1862, when, in answer to his country's call, he enlisted in company G., 137th regiment Illinois infantry. After serving his time, he was honorably discharged, and returned home in good health, and has since been engaged in farming and stock-raising, as before. Mr. Humphrey has had two children born to him, but both are now dead. He has held some of the local offices of his township, and frequently refused to accept other offices, preferring the quite and more honorable life of a farmer.