uine friendship and kindliness. He was married in Ireland in 1835 to Miss Isabelle Brown, who was also born in County Tyrone and who died in 1865. Of their family of two children John died at the age of twelve years, while George became a prominent farmer of Pike county. In 1870 Joseph McFarland wedded Maria Kindrick, also a native of Ireland. His death occurred in 1893.
George McFarland, father of our subject, was born in Ireland but spent the greater part of his life in Pike county, where he was long closely connected with agricultural interests. The work of substantial improvement and development which was begun by his father he continued and for many years he was a prosperous and progressive agriculturist of Pleasant Vale township, having extensive landed interests near New Canton. He married Miss Irene Gage, a native of Maine, and continued to make his home near New Canton up to the time of his death in 1894.
In the public schools Joseph McFarland acquired his education and, entering business life, he has so directed his efforts along well-established lines of activity and enterprise that he is today reaping a gratifying measure of success. He is justly regarded as a successful and enterprising farmer and useful citizen. His farm lies just outside the corporation limits of New Canton and is a most productive tract of land, upon which he has a beautiful country home and all modern equipments and accessories. In fact he is one of the leading representatives of agricultural interests in Pike county as were his father and grandfather before him. He is also manager of the large elevator of Shaw, Garner & Company and is thoroughly familiar with the grain trade and in this connection makes extensive shipments.
On the 21st of May, 1890, was celebrated the marriage of Joseph McFarland and Miss Cora Willis. Two children, a bright and interesting boy and girl, have been born unto them. The parents occupy an enviable position in the social circles in which they move and Mr. McFarland is an exemplary Mason. He has held several township offices and at the present time is a member of the school board. His aid and co-operation may always be counted upon to further any progressive public movement and he is classed with the representative men whose life record, well known to his fellow citizens has won for him their regard and friendship.
GEORGE W. SHRIGLEY
George W. SHRIGLEY, living in New Salem township, is the owner of one hundred and ten acres of productive and valuable land, on which he is now carrying on general farming and stockraising, making each year quite extensive shipments of stock, whereby his annual income is materially increased. He was born on Christmas day of 1847, in Edgar county, Illinois, and is a son of Andrew and Sarah (Shiveley) Shrigley, both of whom were natives of Loudoun county, Virginia, being born east of the Blue Ridge. The father's birth occurred July 29, 1812, and in Ohio he was married to Miss Sarah Shiveley, who was born August 16, 1815. They removed from the Buckeye state to Edgar county, Illinois, where they resided for eleven years and then went to Iowa, where they remained for two years, returning thence to Pike county, Illinois, where the father's death occurred December 21, 1888, while his wife passed away November 22, 1893. They were respected by all who knew them as devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal church and people of genuine worth who in all life's relations manifested the traits of character that ever command good will and trust. His political allegiance was given to the republican party. In their family were seven children, of whom six are yet living namely: Harriet J., now the wife of John Peckham; Ann E., the wife of Charles Bickerdike; George W., of this review; James M.; Caroline, the wife of Riley Griffith; and Emily, the wife of Henry Shinn.
George W. SHRIGLEY spent the first nine years of his life in his native county and in 1856 went with his parents to Iowa, whence they returned to Pike county in 1858. Later, in connection with his father, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, which together they improved