Search billions of records on
Reuben Vaughan's Handwritten Story
Christian, Palo Pinto Co., TX
Dec 14, 1891
Note: since I have a typed copy of the hand written story I do not know if the spelling has remained the same as in the original writing. I would assume that since there is some mis-spelling that some of this is original spellings.

 Having been requested by relatives, also being desirous myself to do so, I will preceded to give a historical sketch of the ancestry of the Vaughan family as best I can with some interesting incidents that have occured during their lives. I have but little knowledge of my great grand father Vaughan, only that his name was John. My grandfathers name was William, my grandmother's name before she married was Mary Upton. Their first son was named James, the next one Stephen which was my father then Edmond, then Reuben, then John, then Sam, then Johnathan, then Upton. Their daughters were Sarah and Mary. Tha had two children to die in childhood, the boys name was William and the girl Elizabeth.

 Uncle James marred a Weeks, father married a Nail and Edmond a Bobbet and Reuben a Nail and John a Spencer and Sam a McGonagill and Upton a Dixson. Sarah married a Armstrong and Mary a Lowe.

 My father and mother had twelve children. The first was named James, the next Nicholas, the next William, then Reuben then Washington then Elizabeth then Jonathan then Jackson then Sarah then Martha then Mary then Loucinda. Brother James married a Gage, Nicholas a Keenum, William a Tapley, myself a Trulove. Washington and Jonathan - Ables. Jackson a Pulum, Sarah a Duncan, Martha a Houton, the other two sisters husbands names I don't remember having never seen them.

 My father was born in 1788 and lived to be 67 years old. My mother was born in 1792 and lived to be 83 years old. Tha both died in Marion County, Alabama.

My grandfather Nail was named Matthew. My grandmother Nails name before she was married was Katy Swagaty. She was what we call Pennsylvania Dutch. Grandfather Nail was pure English. I can trace his nativity no futher back than Ray County, Tennessee where he raised his family. The fruit of their marriage was eleven children, six boys and five girls. The oldest boys name was James, then Nicholas, then King then Jefferson then Washington, then Matthew. The oldest girls name was Lucinda, then Mary which was my mother, then Elizabeth, then Patcy, then Luvina. I never saw any of my mothers people but her and her youngest sister. I don't now who tha all married but James marriad a Hopkins, King's second wife was a Glass and I think Matthew marriad a Glass. Lucinda marriad a Haynes and Patcy a Cantaberry. Luvina, Uncle Reuben Vaughan, grandfather Nail and part of his family moved to Madison Co., Ala. Tha both died there when vary old. The furtherist back that I know anything about my grandfather and grandmother Vaughan was when tha lived in North Carolina when there oldist children were small, my father eight years old tha moved to Knox County, Tenn where some of there children were born and all grew up to manhood and womanhood except the youngest. Tha all moved to Saint Clear Co., Ala before William or I were born. Brother William, myself and Washington were all born in said county. My father went to Blunt Co., and lived there one year, thence to Marion Co., where he lived the rest of his time. My father always said he was a cross of Scotch and English.

My father and mother embreased the Christian religion when I was very small but can remember it. Tha were convected of sin under the preaching of a Methodist circuit rider whose name was Thomas Abernathy, my father and mother use to pray for the salvation of all there children. Father lived to see them all converted but two to wit: Washington and Jonathan and tha was converted afterward. My mother lived to see all but Jonathan and he was converted after wards.

 William, Washington and myself used to when boys slip off in the night build us up a little fire, get down on our knees and pray - we kept that up for a conciderable time - finely Wash and I quit trying - William kept on until he was converted. He was the first of all the children that found peace in believing his convertion was at a Prisbitearian camp meeting in the north part of Fayette County, Ala. I was at the same alter of prayer when he was converted. He had always been a timid boy but on that occaision he went all over the alter on his knees exhorting like a preacher. People all around said that boy will make a preacher. Two or three years afterward James and Nicholas was converted at a Methodist camp meeting in Marion County called the gold mine camp ground. Some years afterward I embrased religion at a camp meeting on Beaver Creek, Marion Co., Ala. The rest of the children were converted at different times and different places. Little sister Mary got killed by a fall from the top of a stable - a log fell on her and mashed her skull. Washington in time of the late war was killed by homegards. Jackson was killed in Palo Pinto Co., Texas when he was unarmed. Sarah died in Young Co., Texas in 1861. I was present at the time. She was so happy on her death bed she said that it overcame all her suffering. William visits father on his death bed and while talking to him about his future state when father said there was not a cloud in view. He appeared to be ready for the change - about 1855-1856. The last word mother said to me when I was about to leave for Texas was that she put her trust in her Saviour. It was with such deep tone that it appears like I can almost hear those words today.

My grandfather Vaughan's family nearly all Baptist, my father and all of his family Methodist. Uncle Upton Vaughan a Methodist preacher. Grandfather and grandmother Nail were Methodist. I don't know whether any of there children were church members or not except Aunt Luvina was Baptist and mother Methodist. Uncle James Nail had a daughter born without any arms. I learned that she was beautiful and smart and could use her toes in writing and sewing almost as well as others could with there fingers.

My grandfather Nail was a soldier under Washington in the Revolution and fought the whole seven years through. He was at one time taken prisoner and put on a vessel out at ancher after a while he was taken sick and became vary weak - it appears he was lying on the floor of the ship - there was a Tory on borde by the name of Philpo - he came along where grandfather was lying and ordered him to get out of his way - grandpa made an effort to obay but he was so weak that his movement was slow - while on his hands and knees - the Tory struck him on the back with the back of his sword - grandpa fell as though he was shot - he lay in that condition a conciderable time at last tha concluded to throw him over borde in the sea. He beged the to take him to land for he wanted his bones to be on American soil.  There was some on borde that had pitty on him and taken him to the shore and lade him down. He had not lay there vary long until he began to feel better at last he gained strength enough to crawl to where a lady keeped a bakery. She took him in - fedd and nurished him until he got able to travel. He and two other escaped prisoners started for Washington's army all knowing that if tha were caught tha would be killed. Tha came to a creek that tha had to swim - on man plunged the stream, grandpa next, when the both got up the bank tha heard a cry behind them for help. The hindmost man had nearly reached the bank when he taken the cramp and was sinking. The other man paid no attention to it but started on his run for life. Grandpa caught a bush let himself down to the waters edge caught him by the hair and pulled him on the bank then started to rum. The man soon recovered and was up with them. . Tha all got to Washingtons army safely.

Some of grandfather Nail's troubles with Indians after the war he married and lived on some frontier tha had then but five children and tha small. A chief Indian by the name of Doublehead - he and his band was a terror to the frontier settlers. one night tha heard him and his band coming up to the house to kill them and noone there but he and his little family he screamed out to the Indians to come on he was ready for them and made as much fuss as if he had fifty men with him. The Indians too a fright and left. At another time he heard of Indians in the country - went over to a neighbors to give them warning - while he was sitting on his horse telling them to look out for Indians the Indians opened fire on them - his only chance of escape was to charge his horse over a fence and through a corn field - the balls cuting the corn all around him. He got away unhurt but that family was all killed. In those days grandpa always rode a fine horse. On an other occasion he was passing through the country and heard the screams of a family being killed by Indians. the cryes of the dying family so arozed his sympathy that he would be in full speed toward the scene of the tragedy - then would think again that his own family would be killed if he did not go there aid but those pittous cries turned him there direction two or three times. At last he concluded he must take care of his own family. WEnt home took his family down to the river put them in a canoe went down the river to a projecting bluff and tied up there all night until he supposed that the Indians were gon the taken all to a fort of block house in safety.

My grandfather Nail was a man of strong passion quick to resent an insult and was brave yet had a sympathetic hart for humane suffering. Grandfather Vaughan was a man of mild temperment scercley ever known to get mad. Spent his life a quiet and peacible citizen. I can see some of the dispotion of those two men running down through there postarity up the the present time. Grandfather Vaughan was never in any war that I know of.

The Swagaty family supposed to be early imagrants from Germany to America.

My father, two of his brothers and one of mother's brothers in the last war with great Brittian. All but Uncle James served the whole term - he was taken sick and died but little active service. More than twenty years after the war the U. S. give father a land certificate for his service but no land in the country where he lived worth locating - he sold it for a small sum of money.

Most of the Vaughan family moved from Alabama to Mississippi in 1829 or 1830. Uncle James and Reuben went there at an earlyer date. Tha settled in Homes and Yazzo County. Uncle Edmond left St. Clar Co and I think tha never knew where he went to. Name of my cousins so fear as known and remembered. Uncle James Vaughan raised two children - both boys - the eldist named William - the other Charles. Tha had two to die in infancy. Uncle Jonathan never married. He, Uncle James and family started from Miss. to Arkansas. Charles died on the way - tha all died in Ark. but Cousin William. Uncle Edmond had but one child - a boy named James. I don't know the names of but two of Uncle Reubens children - the first a girl named Elizabeth - then boy named William. He became welthy - that is Uncle Reuben - he left Miss went to California and died there. Uncle John moved to Texas - when I was a child. I have seen some of his children in Texas. He had one boy named Andrew, another  James - both dead now. He had other children I don't remember there names. Two girls that lived and died in Palo Pinto Co., Texas. He also had a son by his second wife living in said county the last I knew of him. Uncle Sam had several children. I don't remember the names of any but one a boy named William. I don't know anything about Uncle Upton and Aunt Marys children. Aunt Sallie Armstrongs eldist named Mary, then Lucinda - then William, then Lizzi.

Names of my brothers and sisters children so fear as known and remembered. Brother James three oldest were girls - the first Partheny, then Mary, then Nancy then next a boy named William, then Reuben. He had another boy named Matthew and another named Ephraim. If there were others I don't know there names. Brother Nicholas two first girls named Mary and Marthy - the next two boys the eldist named William and the next one Nail - he had another named Asberry and other girl named Margaret. There may be one or two more that I don't know there names. Brother William sons will give there own history.

Then comes my own - my first girl named Alpha who died when a babe. Then Clarissa, then Lemuel, then Shaeffer, then Mary, then Emma then William, then John, then Ollie who died from the affect of a burn, then Allie, then Arthur and Loren - twins. Clarissa married a Patterson, Lemuel a Taylor, Shaeffer a Lane, Mary a Fryar. Emma a Robinson - she is now a widow. William a Ingham and John a Birdwell. The three youngest not married.

I think Washington had for children all boys one named Levi and the other Reuben - then Gorge, the forth one I don't know. I learn that Gorge is a doctor.

Brother Jonathan has no children - I think.

Brother Jackson had about fourteen the first a girl named Drewcilla- then Elizabeth, then Martha, then Wilmurth, then Mary, then Nelly, then Margaret, then Francis, then Harriet. He had fore boys named James, John Reuben and Watson. I don't know the other ones. Milam a Methodist minister.

Sarah's first was a boy named Thomas, then two girls the eldist named Margaret the other Ann, then a boy named Isaac, then an infant that died when but a few days old.

I don't think my eldist sister had any children. She was married twice and was a widow. the second time when I heard from her last which has been about 20 years ago - she was then in Ark - Union Co., Lisbon was her PO. I have found an old letter that shows her second husbands name - it was Chism I think. Her first husbands name was Fulton. She thinks her second husband was killed for his money.

Lucinda married I think - his name was Cotton - tha separated and she has been with Jonathan ever since. I care nothing about his name.

There was one of fathers cousins an early setler in Parker Co., Tex, His name is Monroe Upton. He was but a few years older than myself - he was highly respected citizen - he and a nephew of his named James Hogan were selling goods in Weatherford when the late war came up and a little while after the war commenced - all of the old citizens of Weatherford will remember him. I have heard that he is dead. He had a son named James - a little boy when I saw them last. I have learned of late that he is now a welthy cow man either in West Texas or New Mexico.

Monroe Upton has a brother named James living in Parker Co. at the same time that he did - and older man than myself. I was acquainted with Monroe in Alabama but never saw James until I met him in Parker Co. Texas. Tha also had a sister in said county her name was Lizzie - her husbands name was John Right. Tha had three daughters - the eldist maried Lafayett Herd - a younger one married Milton Herd. I think the Herds all lived in Clay County, Texas.

Names of my grandchildren:
Clara's three oldest boys, the first Reuben L., then John M., then Sidany W., then a girl named Margaret C. then a boy named Olivee C then a girl named Laoula B.

Lemuels first boy named Osker, then three girls named Lelia, Millie and Addie.

Shaeffer has two girls named Ina and Rela and two boys named Dee and Guy and a young boy not named.

Mollie's first a girl named Annie M. then a boy named Albin M. then a girl named Ellen, then two boys named Jacob and William - twins and another boy named Tod.

William and his wife had no children.

Emma's two oldest girls named Lizzie and Annie. Two boys named Osker and Hary V.

John has twins a boy and girl the boy named Frederick B. the girl Susie E.

I will now give a sketch of my own history. I left Alabama for Texas October 27, 1852. Landed in Denton County, Texas. Stayed there nearly two years - the State give me 320 acres of land under the premtion law. I sold it for $500. dollars. Then moved to Keechi Valley in Sept 1854. There was then no counties west of Cook Denton and Tarant. My object for locating in a wild country was to raise stock. My nearest neighbors  then was 25 miles east. There was plenty of Indians then roaming over the country but friendly - mostly located on reservations which is now in Young Co and for the safty of myself and family I found it necessary to cultivate there friendship. When tha came around my place I would treat them friendly - gave them something to eat and trade with them. Some times I would lone them my gun and let them have amunition. Tha never failed to bring my gun home at the time appointed. Some times when I would be out from home cow hunting I would meet up with bands of them I would camp with them and when tha formed a circle I would goe into it and smoke the pipe of peace with them. In those days I had many warm friends among those Indians. Mollie Fryar was then our baby - there was one old Indian woman when she would be at our house she would watch the baby keep flies off of it. She appeared to love the child. After being absent for some time she returned with a pair of Moccasins all beded off in Indian stile and took up the child and put them on her. There was ne Indian that we hired to cowhunt with me and to learn me the lay of the country gaps through the mountains and crossings on the river.  A fe years later some Indians supposed to be Connachees connenced deredations on the frontier killing and scalping the white people - killing cattle and driving off herd of horses. After a while a number of white people got suspicous of the friendly indians and got up a war with them. The name of the friendly tribes was Caddos., Jroneyes and Anadarcos, also Tankaways. The U. S. then moved them out of Texas. I think that Indian war lasted between 18and 20 years. When the friendly Indians were driven out of Texas tha all became hostile. The Indian wars at different periods in Texas have gone down into history or so much of it that I hardly know what to write as I don't wish to repeat that which is already extant but will give a few circumstances that I am acquainted with and personal trouble that I have had with them. It was estimated in those early days that more people were killed by Indians than died from all other causes. I can now remember 63 men that was killed by them and a great many women and children - but while tha were doing there work of carnage and devastation many of them fell a prey to the rifles and six shooters of brave Texans.

Please use your "back" button to return to previous page

©1998-2002 All Rights Reserved Cindy Lee Gettle