Joseph Baxendell (1758-1827)
Joseph was the oldest child of Joseph Baxendell
(1734-84) and Mary Beadle. He was christened at St. Georges,
Castle Street, Liverpool, 11th June 17871. He married Catherine
or Kitty Brindle (b.1768, Yorks) at Standish Parish Church, Lancashire
on 11 June 17872.
By 1782, when his first son Thomas was born, he was a Weaver
of Hollins, near Oldham3. In 1794 he was living at Park, in
the Parish of Ashton4, in 1797 a Banksman (in charge of a pithead
winding engine) of Littletown, nr. Oldham3, and in 1800 was
a Banksman of Oak, nr. Oldham3.
Between 1800 and his death in 1827 he moved into the London Road
district of Manchester, where he established the Coal Dealerís business
in Ducie Street5,6, which was continued by his son James.
Children of Joseph and Kitty Baxendell
Thomas christened 5th Feb. 1792, St Maryís Oldham, Lancs.3
James christened 14th Sept 1794, St Margarets, Hollinwood, Oldham, Lancs.4
Joseph, christened 12th Nov 1797, St. Maryís, Oldham, Lancs.3
William, christened 8th Jun 1800, St. Maryís, Oldham, Lancs.3
Betty, christened 7th Nov 1802, St. Margaretís, Chadderton, Hollinwood, 4
Jane birthdate unknown.5
1. International Genealogical Index: Extracted Parish registers for St George,
2. Bishops Transcripts, Parish Church of Standish, Lancashire.
3. Bishops Transcripts, Parish Registers of St Mary, Oldham, Lancs.
4. Bishops Transcripts, Parish Registers of the Chapelry of St. Margarets, Chadderton, Oldham.
5. Will of Joseph Baxendell
6. Pigots Directory of Manchester, 1830.