A Brief History of the Baxendell Family
David Barry Baxendell, Christchurch, New Zealand, August 1999
Hugh Backstondeineof Chorley,Lancashire, born abt 1558.
Children of Hughe Backstondeine
William Backstendine– chr. 23 Nov 1580 Chorley, Lancs. Married Alice Haughton abt.1600
Children of William(1580) and Alice Backstondine
William Backstendine or Bacstonden - b. abt.1600, Standish, Lancs. Married Jane (surname n.k.) 9 Jul 1625,Standish, Lancs.
Children of William(1600) & Jane Backstendine:
1. Brian Backstondeane:chr.7 Aug 1625, Standish, Lancs.
2. Roger Backstondeane chr.3 June 1627, Standish, Lancs. Married Margery
3. Thomas Backstondeane b.1630, Standish, Lancs.
4. Jane & Helen Backstondean b.1633, Standish, Lancs.
5. Nathaniell Backstondean b.1638, Standish, Lancs.
6. John Backstondean b.1639, Standish, Lancs.
7. Phoebe Backstondean b.1641, Standish, Lancs.
8. Josiah Backstondeane b. (?)
Children of Roger(1627) and MargeryBackstondeane:
1. Daniell Backstondeane. b. 1667, Standish. Lancs.
2. Allis Backstondeane. b. 1660, Standish, Lancs.
3. Thomas Backstondeane. b. 1664, Standish, Lancs. Married (?)
4. Rachell Backstondeane chr. 10 May 1668, Standish,Lancs.
Children of Thomas(1664) & ? Backstondeane:
1. Elizabeth Baxonden b.1692, Standish
2. Thomas Baxondenb. 1694, Standish
3. Roger Baxonden b. 4 Jan. 1699, Standish 4.
4.Josiah Baxonden or Baxendale b. 8 Mar. 1701, Standish. Married Elizabeth Smethurst, 6 Oct 1730, Aughton by Ormskirk, Died 1764 Liverpool.49 Josiah was a master Cabinet Maker in Liverpool.50
5. Henry Baxonden b.27may 1702, Standish
Children of Josiah(1701) & ? Baxonden or Baxondale:
1. Lloyd Baxendell c.1732 St. Nicholas, Liverpool, married 1756 (St. Peters, Liverpool) Ann Hartley. Common Law Marriage to Frances Bromley. Upholsterer with brother Joseph’s cabinet making-business. Children:
(1st Marriage)- Nanny(1759), Hartley(1760), Elizabeth(1761), Lloyd(1763)
(2nd Marriage)- Roger(1771), Gamaliel(1773)
(All children christened "Baxendale". All born in Liverpool.)
2. Joseph Baxendellch. 1734 St. Nicholas, Liverpool, married 1757 (St. Peters, Liverpool)
Mary Beadle Continued his father’s cabinet making in Oldhall St. Liverpool.51
3. Ann Baxendell chr. 1735, St Nicholas or St. George, Liverpool
4. Samuel Baxendale chr. 1736, St. George, Liverpool
5. Gamaliel Baxendale chr. 2 Dec 1740
Children of Joseph(1734) and Mary Baxendell:
1. Joseph Baxendell chr.1758 St.George, Liverpool.1 Married 1787 (Standish).1 Catherine,Kitty or Ketty Brindle(born Yorks. 1768, died Denton, Lancs. 1851)6
Joseph is recorded as being a Weaver in 1792 and a Banksman (in charge of a pithead winding engine) in subsequent entries.11,12,3
2. Josiah Baxendale chr.1761 St George, Liverpool. Married Mabella Salisbury, Child:
Lloyd Salisbury Baxendale b.1804
3. Thomas Beadle Baxendale ch.1780 St.Peter, Liverpool. Married 1808(St.Peter, L’pool)
Mary Bibby. Children- Jane(1813), Thomas(1816), James(1826),Ann(?)
Children of Joseph(1758) and Kitty:
1. -James Baxendell chr.14 Sep 1794, St. Margaret’s, Hollinwood, Oldham 1, 3, 11 married Sarah Anne Pirkin, Manchester Cathedral, 14 Jul 1831,14, previously married to Anne Hayes.1, 14 Children- (1) Ellen Baxendell b. 23 Jun 1834 (2) Sarah AnnBaxendell b. 13 Sep 1838,married Peter Lawton 1859.
James continued his father’s business as a dealer in coal, corn & flour at 5 Ducie St. Manchester,18, 14.Later a publican at the Stag and Pheasant, Ashton St., Manchester (where the London Rd. Station stands now) 22. He died there of "General Dropsy" 11 Jul 1844, attended by his nephew Joseph(1st child of Thomas and Mary B.)35
For a fuller profile of James Baxendell(1794-1844) click here.
2. -Joseph chr.12 Nov 1797,St.Mary’s, Oldham 1, 3, 12Died.31 Dec 1869,Denton. 42
Married Jane Rowbottom,(father-Samuel Rowbottom)29 Jan 1820,Manchester Cathedral 1,14and had a son, John, and possibly another, William. Jane died and he married Hannah Cooke,1518 Oct 1825, St. Mary’s, Manchester. In 1830 18Joseph had a business making waterproof hats in Openshaw and Hooley Hill. In 1851 he was employing 3 men in his hatting business in Denton, and his nephew Thomas was apprenticed to him.5He extended his business to include cotton spinning and prospered. Died 31 Dec 1869,Moorfield House, Denton.41In his will he made generous provision for his nephews, except Edward who is not mentioned. Neither are the descendants of his first wife Jane. Hannah died 2 Oct 1867. She had been in poor mental health for some time previously.
For a fuller profile of Joseph Baxendell(1797-1869) click here.
Children of Joseph(1797) & (1st Marriage)Jane:
3. Ellen- b.27 Apr 1847 Manchester, chr. 27 Jun 1847 Manchester Cathedral 14
Children of Joseph(1797) & (2nd Marriage)Hannah:children of Joseph and Kitty contd.:
1. Hannah Cooke -b.1833 Hooley Hill. Married - JamesWalker(one son, Joseph Baxendell Walker)42
2. Ellen Brindle b.abt. 1840. Married -William.Gould 1859,Ashton16
Married -Edward Theophilus O’Brien bef.186942
Thomas & Mary(Shepley) had at least 6 children
and fortunately his progeny are the best documented of the four brothers.
I have not found a record for the marriage of Thomas and
. Thomas was a Land Steward,39,
branching into being a Land and Building Agent 31,
He lived in the Cheetham Hill area, spent his last years in Sale, Cheshire,
and died at his son Joseph’s house in Birkdale.
For a fuller profile of Thomas Baxendell(1792-1874) - click here.
Children of Thomas(1792) and Mary:
Land Agent, Meteorologist, astronomer and physicist. Left school
at 15, went to sea. Returned to Manchester in 1835, and assisted his father
in Land Agency, while he privately studied astronomy and natural science.
Erected with Robert Worthington the Observatory at Crumpsall
Hall. Member of Manchester Literary and Philosophical Society 1858 until
death. FRAS in 1858. FRS in 1885. In Feb 1859 became Astronomer to Manchester
Corporation. Superintended erection of Fernley Astronomical Observatory
in Hesketh Park, Southport, and appointed meteorologist for Southport.
Pioneer in the fields of solar physics, terrestrial
magnetism, variable stars. Promoted the principle of storm signals and had a protracted controversy with the Board of Trade over their introduction. Predicted the long drought of 1868 enabling the Manchester Corporation to reduce its effects by regulating water use at an early date. Named after him is "Baxendell’s Unphotographable Nebula"(NGC 7088) which is situated 26’ North of M2.39, 40
Married Mary Anne Pogson, (1865-1902), daughter of the Royal Astronomer to Madras, 39, 9,lived mostly in Cheetham Hill area 6,39, 40.Last years spent in Birkdale, Southport. Died 7 Oct 1887 39, 40, 16
For a fuller profile of Joseph Baxendell (1815-1887), click here.
2. Edward- b. bef. 1825. Married Mary Zipporah Elder, St.Pancras, 12 Mar 1846.32 Architect and Surveyor, 20, 21Clerk of Works forCamberwell, 1851. With their children, they emigrated to Australia in 1862 aboard the "Young Australia".They had five sons:
3. Mary Shepley Baxendell - b.1818, did not marry. d. 18 Jun 1875,Sale, Lancs. 16, 41
Joseph Arthur -became a teacher at Toowoomba near Brisbane,Qld., then started his own school, The Downs School.
Frederick Charles -emigrated to New Zealand where he married and then moved to Brisbane.
All but one of the Australian Baxendells (and there are plenty of them) are descended from these brothers. Most still live in the Brisbane region. The odd one out is the widow of a descendant of Joseph (the hatter, of Denton).
4. Thomas -b.1822 or 23,
1909,Barton in Irwell, Lancs. 16
26 Jul 1829 Eliza Bridge(1829-1919).
At 28 Thomas was living with his uncle Joseph at 176 New Rd. Denton, and gave his occupation as Hatter, 5 and his marriage in the Manchester Cathedral Register, in 1852, 14 says the same, as does the birth certificate of Charles in 1856.27In 1869,he inherited from his Uncle Joseph, 2000 pounds and his telescope.42The Earl of Wilton persuaded him to introduce cotton spinning to Denton and donated land for the purpose. He established the Alpha Mill, the first cotton mill in Denton, which eventually was destroyed by fire in 1915. He was instrumental in the establishment of the United Free Methodist Church in Denton and built 47 houses opposite his mill, which he named Alpha Terrace.48 In 1891 Thomas and Eliza were living at Rose Hill, Denton, with James Bridge, Eliza’s widowed brother. 9
My father (Thomas Geoffrey) lived with his grandfather Charles during the last year of Eliza's life.
Children of Thomas(1822) & Eliza:
1. Charles -b.29 Nov 1856, Denton, 27married Charlotte Heginbotham(b.1856, Bredbury, Lancs.) 15 Mar.1881,Ashton under Lyne, Lancs. (Marriage Cert.) d. 28 Jul 1939 Prestwick41
2. Arthur -b. 1865, Denton,Lancs.16Married Annie Rothwell, 1891 Ashton under Lyne16 d. 3 May . 1929, Mddx. 41
5. James –c.15 May 1826, Cheetham Hill, Lancs. 1, 8, 9Married Anne Gould, b.1937 sister of John Gould (husband of Ellen Brindle Baxendell) 11 Jun 1857,St.Lawrence,Denton.44
Children of James(1826) & Anne:
1. Alice b.1866, Ashton-on-Mersey 16, 8 ,9
2.Edwin b.1870, Ashbourne, Derbs. 16, 8, 9Married (n.k.) 1902,Bucklow 16
6. Robert -b.1825, Manchester. 1.Married Eliza Hannah( HUGHES(b.1817Broughton,Lancs.8 3 Sep 1846, Manchester Cathedral. 31
Children of Robert(1825) & Eliza Hannah:
1. Ada -b.7 Nov 1847,Ardwick, Manchester.1,16
In 1881 she was staying at a seaside boarding house in Layton with Warbreck,Lancs., with her . . mother and aunt(Christiana Hughes).8 She did not marry. Died 5 Feb 1917,Endcliffe, Silverlands, Buxton,Yorks. 16, 41
2. Walter -b. 1854, Salford. 16, 8Married Annette(surn. n.k. b.1856,Salford)8 1876, Salford.16
. d. 24 . Apr 1924,Birkdale, Lancs. 41Children of Walter(1854) & Annette:
1.Eustace Milner- b.1877, Salford. 16d. 11 Dec 1918, 25 Westcliffe Rd, Birkdale, Lancs. 16, 41.. Married . Margaret Neill 1901,Ormskirk. 41, 16
1, 10Did not marry. In 1874- Living with Mary Shepley Baxendell at Dunham View, Brooklands, Sale, Cheshire. 41