Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

St. Mark's Episcopal Church
315 E. Pecan St.
Architect: Upjohn, Richard; et.al.

Marker Number: 4463
Year Marker Erected: 1992
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Size: 27" x 42" Subject
Marker Text: Established on what was a part of the Alamo lands, Saint Mark's Espicopal Church traces its history to Trinity Church, a mission established in 1850 and disbanded in 1858. Saint Mark's church was organized in 1858 with the Rev. Lucius H. Jones as first rector. Church construction began in December 1859. Col. Robert E. Lee, stationed in San Antonio at that time, was a leader in parish activities. The Civil War interrupted construction, and work did not resume until 1873. The building was completed in 1875 under the leadership of the Rev. Walter R. Richardson. Saint Mark's was the Cathedral of the Missionary District of Western Texas from 1876 to 1888. Designed by noted New York architect Richard Upjohn, Saint Mark's is an excellent example of a Gothic Revival style church. It exhibits such hallmark features as buttresses, window tracery, and a castellated tower. Designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, it received the official Texas Historical Buildng Medallion in 1962. Active in missionary and community outreach endeavors throughout its history, Saint Mark's continues to offer a variety of programs. Many of Saint Mark's rectors have become bishops of the Episcopal church. (1992)