James County, Tennessee: A Lost County
The early Friendship Community consisted of neighborhoods centered around small local schools: Deer Lick School, Raines and Priddy Schools, and Blue Spring School. The Raines School was located approximately two miles north of the Deer Lick School near Eldridge Road on the land of William F (1835-1915) and Sarah Jane (Webb) Raines (1840-1912) who had 14 children. In 1870, W C Thatcher (born 1829) and his wife Nancy (born 1829) had 7 children at the school. Other families living in the vicinity of the Raines School were: Talley, John and Mary McCormack and Eldridge. In the beginning years the earliest settlers attended Salem Baptist Church organized in 1835 or County Line Baptist Church at Georgetown also known as White Plains Baptist Church. The Rev Jonas P Moon decided to organize a church closer to home. in October, 1854, they met in the old Deer Lick School with Charles Taliaferro and W F McCormack acting as presbyters. Jonas Moon was the pastor until July, 1867. After this time, the Rev W F McCormack and other ministers acted intermittently as moderators. Lydia and John N McCormack attended this church.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids