FrontPage-L Resource Links
FrontPage 2003 will continue to be supported by Microsoft until 2013 under the Microsoft Life Cycle Support policy. See: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/gp/lifepolicy (FP is part of Office which is a business application, it was never intended as a home user web editor though many of course used it for such.)
If you are considering moving from FrontPage to Expression Web, then you may be interested in Migrating from FrontPage to Expression Web EBook.
NOTE: If you are using an older version of FrontPage, you may want to consider moving to Expression Web.
Microsoft has now made Expression Web available as a FREE download for anyone who would like to use the software. You can read Microsoft Expression Changes and download from:
- Microsoft Expression Web 4 (Free Version) - the download file indicates it is a trial version. It is NOT. It is a full version with the latest service pack and bug fixes.
- Microsoft Expression Design 4 (Free Version)
If you feel you MUST keep the outdated FrontPage bots which include Navigation View you might want to consider moving to Sharepoint Designer 2007 offered FREE by Microsoft. The program works like Expression Web version 1.0 yet allows to to continue using the FontPage bots. Many of the tutorials written for Expression Web will work with Sharepoint Designer 2007.
If you are interested in the history of FrontPage and a timeline of the various releases see FrontPage History - FP Version Releases and Vermeer FrontPage Timeline. The last release was FrontPage 2003 which was released in October 2003.
Using FrontPage With FreePages
- Freepages at RootsWeb Help Help Pages and FAQ's.
- FrontPage 2000 Web Techniques
- FTP Instructions FrontPage 2000
- Publishing with FrontPage to RootsWeb FrontPage 2000
- Publishing From FrontPage 2002/XP
- RootsWeb OnLine Editor About the Online Editor
- AccessFP FrontPage Resources
- ABC ~ All 'Bout Computers MS FrontPage articles by Tina Clarke
- AnyFrontPage Bytes Ezine Articles, Links, News and Tutorials
- Jan's Illustrated Computer Literacy 101 HTML Basics: FrontPage or FP Express?
- Thomas Brunt's OutFront FrontPage Templates, Themes, and Help
- Version Specific Resources - FrontPage Resources for Specific Version Numbers.
- FrontPage 2003 DWT Ebook - DWTs are just what you have been looking for to save you TIME and EFFORT when making your site. This Ebook Will take you through the stages of preparing a site that is already made in order to implement the creation and attachment of a DWT. It runs through any problems your likely to have in the troubleshooting section and outlines the DWtig guidelines if you wish to use them.....
- Folders in a FrontPage website - Description of the folders in a FrontPage website
Many of the add-ins that were originally released for FrontPage are no longer available. The ones listed have been created for Expression Web but will work with FrontPage.
- Webs Unlimited FrontPage Add-ins
- Ajatix Expression Web Add-ins - All of the Ajatix Add-ins work with Microsoft FrontPage 2003, 2002, 2000
- CSSMenuTools Add-ins while designed for Expression Web will also work with Microsoft FrontPage 2003
Web Building Tools
Web Page Design
- Help for the Beginning Web Author by Pat Asher
- Designing and Publishing Genealogy Web Pages Patricia Geary
- Rod Neep's Web Pages Design and Structure
- Web Developer Toolbars - If you are a developer of web pages, then one of the indispensible tools you can use is the web developer toolbar. There is one available for Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera. I also use the Web Accessibility Toolbar and the Link Checker for Firefox.
- RootsWeb Guestbook
- Creating and Validating RootsWeb Guestbook - The steps you need to follow to create and validate your guestbook for both HTML and XHTML.
- Basics of Mail Merge
- Elsi's Tutorials MailMerge w/ FreePages
- Elsi's Tutorials Using Forms for Feedback
- Mailmerge CGI Script, v1.2
- Mail-Merge - The Easy Way! by Barry Carlson
Server Side Includes (SSI):
While RootsWeb does not support FPSE, you can still use FrontPage Includes as they are an author time component. All pages that have the include inserted will need to be published when the include page changes.
- W3C Markup Validation Service
- WDG - Web Design Group
- CSE - HTML Validator
- The Web Developer Toolbar is an addon available for various browsers. It includes the tools to validate both HTML and CSS locally from your hard drive. You can download it from -
- RootsWeb Mailing Lists Index
- RootsWeb Mailing Lists What are they!
- RootsWeb Mailing Lists Subscriber Questions
- RootsWeb Message Boards Index
- Creating Accessible Tables - Creating accessible layout tables and data tables. You will probably hear some accessibility advocates say that layout tables are a bad idea, and that CSS layout techniques ought to be used instead. There is truth in what they say, but, to be honest, using tables for layout is not the worst thing that you could do in terms of accessibility. People with all kinds of disabilities can easily access tables, as long as the tables are designed with accessibility in mind. In order for a data table to be accessible, it must have the proper markup in the HTML. When the proper HTML markup is in place, users of screen readers can navigate through data tables one cell at a time, and they will hear the column and row headers spoken to them.