ROCK HOUSE MASONIC LODGE, 1873-1875
ROCK HOUSE SCHOOL, CHURCH,
ROCK HOUSE, a
school, church, and Masonic Lodge combined, was built about 1873 by
Dr. Stout, who deeded the land to the school. William
"Bill" Snell and William T. Claunch oversaw the
construction of the two story rock building 6 ½ miles northeast of Hamilton
. The Masonic Lodge used the upper story for their meetings for
about two years, and the ground floor was used for school and church
services. This was the first Lodge hall the Masons had in the
This historic building was torched for fun by some local juveniles in the
Uel Livingston, who was a Sargeant in
the 30th Cav, CSA, from Hamilton, settled in the Rock House community.
--Charlene Livingston Rose.