Click Picture to see larger view.
Vernon Shaw was born nine miles northeast of Carlton in
Erath County and lived there until he was three years old. He is the
grandson of "Uncle" Lewes
Smith who is known to most of the old timers of that section. The Shaw
family then moved to Haskell county. Five years later they moved to San
Angelo and five years after that made their home in Wilbarger county,
where the family home is still located. There are six boys in he Shaw
family and one girl. Three of the boys are in he active ministry; our
subject; Aron, pastor of First Baptist Church of Lockney and Melvin who is
at Sterly where he is also attending Wayland College.
Vernon Shaw gained his schooling through perversity and
struggle. His early school days amounted to only a few months out of the
entire year. He graduated from Hico high school in 1920 and then went into
business; setting up a tailor shop in Vernon. In 1921 he married Miss
Marr. One month after their marriage Mrs. Shaw went into the country to
teach school, leaving Mr. Shaw in Vernon to attend to his shop. It was
their intention to save money enough to attend college and enter the
ministry but misfortune upon misfortune occurred in the form of several
illnesses. Finally the young couple decided to attend school no matter
what occurred and in the fall of 1922 entered Wayland Baptist College.
Again ill health interfered but determination and a little outside aid
from an interested friend saw them through their first year when they
received their certificates. They then taught school two years in order to
attend college another year. Vernon Shaw then became pastor of the Center
Plains church; pastor of the Athens church and taught school aside from
Finishing Wayland College he and Mrs. Shaw entered
Simmons College but ill health again interrupted his studies and he was
sent home to regain his health. He was then called to Olton to minister to
his people for four years.
In August 1930, the Shaws again entered college; this
time enrolling in Howard Payne College at Brownwood completing their
education. During that year he was pastor of Mullen, Jones Chapel, and
Indian Creek. When he completed his college education and received his
degree he was called to Hamilton to take the pastorate of the First
Baptist Church. This August he will have been in Hamilton three years.
During his twelve years of ministry he has witnessed
over 700 conversions; has received about 1200 people into his churches,
and has been instrumental in erecting many worthy buildings.
Mr. Shaw is quoted "Our stay in Hamilton has been a
great joy to us. We have received 250 into the church; one hundred by
baptism. Outside of a few ups and downs of illnesses we have had a great
deal of fun and have gotten along fine."
The Hamilton County News, Vol. IV, Number
Historical and Trading Expansion Issue
W. F. Billingslea, Editor-Publisher
Subscription Price ONE YEAR ..$1.00
June 29, 1934