Murphree Cemetery is about a
mile north of Evant and fourteen miles south of Hamilton on
the west side of US 281. Murphree Cemetery, the final
earthly resting place for many people, was opened as a public cemetery
about 1878. The Sardis Primitive Baptist Church was formed 10 June,
1876, in the home of Samuel Minet and Phebe Matilda (Nations) Murphree. Samuel
and Phebe Murphree moved to Texas in 1875 with their orphaned Coker
grandchildren and lived near where the Murphree Cemetery is now
located. [Samuel M. Murphree was born 4 Oct
1813 in Washington, Rhea Co., TN. He died 17 Jan 1884 in Garden Valley,
Van Zandt Co., TX and was buried in Jamestown Cem., Jamestown, Smith Co.,
In May, 1899, Joseph Hardy Dixon, W. R. Singleton,
and Isaac W. Seale, the first trustees of Murphree Cemetery
purchased three acres of land from James Polk Murphree for the sum of
one dollar. On 17 October, 1923, G. W. Singleton, and Samuel
Quitman Seale purchased additional land for Murphree Cemetery
from W. C. Brooks for eighty dollars. In 1950 trustees J. Y.
Hamilton, Edward Perkins, and Charlie Longmire purchased two
more acres of land from Elmer and Velma Brooks for Murphree Cemetery.
See USGS Maps
list of those interred therein.
Additions and corrections are welcome and
may be sent
to Elreeta Weathers.