HAMILTON COUNTY COURTHOUSES
The town of Hamilton has always had a square, but the
first court house was not erected until 1878. Hamilton courthouses
1. Livery station--1858 to 1863-- destroyed by fire, September, 1863.
(Purchased from Levy Terry)
2. James Monroe Rice’s store--23 September, 1863--31 March, 1867
3. Jones Store House--1 April, 1867--4 April, 1869 - (Owned by G.
4. Hamilton School House--5 April, 1869--1871
5. Second floor of F. M. Graves & Company stone
building, 1871--17 March, 1877--destroyed by fire (The county
paid $300 per year to rent this space.)
6. South room of Crescent Saloon, owned by G. H. Goodson--5 April,
7. First Courthouse opened 11 March, 1878--destroyed by fire 2
Cost: $11,559. This courthouse was built with native stone in
eight months. This two- story courthouse had a foundation two and
one half feet deep, a fireproof vault, and four fireplaces on
the first floor with flues for stoves on the second floor.
In the Spring of 1883 a 190 feet square white fence was
erected around the court house at a cost of $989.50. Before the
end of the summer a chain was added around the fence to which
horses could be hitched.
Following the loss of this courthouse on 5 February, 1886, the
residents of southwestern Hamilton County petitioned for an election
to consider moving the courthouse nearer them. The
proposed town site of the new countyseat was eight miles south of
Hamilton near Shive on the John Dillard Hunt ranch.
This movement drew much support and an election to
consider relocating the county seat was called for 4 May, 1886. In
an effort to retain Hamilton as the countyseat, Hamilton County
Commissioners, Simpson Loyd, A. J. Forester, R. Stinnett, J.
P. Grundy, and County Judge C. W. Cotton negotiated an
agreement with the voters of the southern part of the county to allow
the future Mills County to have a strip of land along the
southern border of Hamilton County moving the county line from
Sims Creek, seven miles south of Center City to McGirk. In the
election Hamilton received 878 votes, "Pegtown" (near
Shive) received 689 votes, and Piggtown (Aleman) received 3 votes.
8. Space rented from F. M. Groves to hold court until courthouse
could be rebuilt. February, 1886--February 1887.
This was probably an upstairs room on the NW corner of the
square in a building occupied by J. M. Williams and Sons Hardware
which collapsed in December, 1976. The county judge, sheriff, and
a few other county officials moved their offices to the stone jail.
9. Second Courthouse, 22 February, 1887--