High School Faculty included: George J. Mason, Superintendent; D. H. Raney, Miss May L. Cowles, Miss Agnes Edens, and Miss Fannie Ratchford.
Robert D. Foster was superintendent of the Hamilton Schools in 1919. Mr. Foster was principal of Hamilton High School for three years and superintendent for five years.
In 1924-25 Hamilton School Board members were John Mark Williams, Felix Cadmus Williams, Silas Randolph Allen, L. W. Koen, Joseph Samuel Miller Poston, Robert Moore, and Bernard Miller. The 1924-25 faculty included A. L. Bentley, G. E. Applewhite, Malcolm Stroup, Miss Kate Cameron, Miss Agnes White, Miss Allie Claunch, Mrs. A. L. Bentley, Miss Arzora Jones, Miss Mabel Eidson, Miss Lillian Netherton, Miss Margaret Rice, Mrs. R. F. Scoggin, Mrs. T. V. Curry, Miss Grace Secrest, Miss Nora Walton, Miss Lula Beck, and Mrs. R. E. Collier.
As Hamilton grew two elementary schools were opened--East Ward on North Bouldin on the site now occupied by the Hamilton General Hospital and West Ward on South College Street at the current school site.
In 1934 the Hamilton School District included these buildings:
In 1949 the Ann Whitney Elementary School opened on corner of South Railroad and East Baker Streets (south end of the football field) replacing both East Ward and West Ward. The first building occupied by Ann Whitney Elementary School was assembled from barracks moved from Fort Hood. Lester Roberts was the first principal of Ann Whitney Elementary School. Mr. Roberts continued in the position until he retired.
Hamilton High School teachers in 1953-53 were:
Click pictures to see larger view.
STANDING left to right: Miss Gwen Ramey, Homemaking; Mrs. Doris Hostad, Math; Mrs. Myrtle Bailey, Homemaking; Mrs. Pauline McPherson, English; Mrs. Nell Sullivan, English;
SEATED: left to right: Ted Jones, Football, Basketball, History; Leo F. Rendessy, Band; Robert Stites, Science, Math.
STANDING, left to right: Weldon Forren, Football, Business, Math, History; Earl Knebel, Vocational Agriculture, V. M. Santy, Science, Tennis; Mrs. Nina Dutton, Typing, Business, Shorthand.
SEATED, left to right: Miss Opal West, Librarian; Eloe Stringer, Principal, History; Mrs. V. M. Santy, English, Speech.
By April, 1953, construction was completed on a new high school building which utilized the first floor of West Ward School with two wings of classrooms added on the east side bringing the entrance to College Street. This school building has been remodeled and enlarged many times so that all grades are in one site. Ann Whitney Elementary School was moved from South Railroad to the main campus on South College Street.
WPA Gym --Completed by December 3, 1940
Rodney C. Love was principal of Hamilton High School from 1959 until 1972.
Pauline Etherton McPherson taught Junior English in Hamilton High School for 27 years (1951-1978).
TEACHERS EXTRAORDINAIRE: Virgil Martin and Alta Bertte (Tarrant) Santy
The benefits of Lyndon Baines Johnson’s "The Great Society" became evident in Hamilton County in 1966. While thousands have been helped, this was also the beginning of the federal control of healthcare and education. The Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Title I of Public Law 89-10 was implemented in January, 1966, to provide a remedial reading services to public school students with reading problems. School libraries were enhanced with new books purchased through ESEA.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids