ST. MARY’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church
began in 1868 in the home of Mrs. E. D. Bell. Among the first
itinerant Episcopal Clergymen who came to Hamilton was Bishop
Gregg in 1873. In 1874 The Right Reverend Alexander C. Garrett of
the Missionary District of North Texas scheduled regular visits to Hamilton
several times each year. Services were later held in the Presbyterian
Church--the first church in Hamilton to build a church
In 1888 a Ladies Guild was formed. The first project of the
guild was to raise money to build a church. Major C. W. Cotton gave
the land on which the church was built in 1891 using the Carpenter Gothic
style of architecture. E. R. Williams, John L. Spurlin, and S.
D. Felt comprised the building committee. By 1896 the finishing
touches on the building were completed and Bishop Garrett came from
Dallas to consecrate the building. In 1950 an Austin stone Parish
House with an auditorium, kitchenette, Sunday School rooms, and pastor’s
study was added at the east end of the original church building. St.
Mary’s is the oldest church to remain on its original location in
Hamilton. Rev. Father Ronald Baker, Vicar, rebuilt and installed an
antique Estey pipe organ and presented the organ as a gift to the
church at his ordination service about 1985.
Ernest Robert Williams was
Sunday School superintendent for more than twenty years. Mrs. S. D.
Felt was organist and choir director for twenty-seven years. Mrs.
J. T. James was president of the Ladies Guild for twenty-four years.
Some other members have been Cecil B. James, Dr. Charles C. Baker, Jr.,
M. Brents Witty, Mrs. Katherine (Baker) Witty, Mrs. Nora Katherine
(Henderson) Teague, Robert Miller, Malcolm G. James, John C.
Latham, Calvin Thomas, and Mrs. Flora Emma
CHURCH HISTORY AS
REPORTED IN A JUNE, 1934 HAMILTON COUNTY NEWS
MARY’S PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH