Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

                    
Search Engine for the Gazetteer

   Search this site      powered by FreeFind
 
 

                     

FAIRY

 

GAP

MARTINíS GAP

Feature Name:

Fairy

Feature Type: populated place
State: Texas
County: Hamilton
USGS 7.5' x 7.5' Map: Fairy
315045N
0975856W

 

FAIRY, originally called Gap, was a sparsely settled pioneer community located in a gap between the mountains thirteen miles northeast of Hamilton and ten miles southeast of Hico. James Martin, an Indian fighter, was an early settler who drove cattle through the gap in the mountains. In the mid 1860's James "Jim" Martin was killed by the Indians and buried at the foot of the mountain. The name of the community was changed to Martinís Gap in his memory. A state historical marker denotes his burial spot with the following words:

 

Martinís Gap

Mountain burial site for frontiersman Jim Martin, killed here by Indians in the 1860's when the county had fewer than 500 people. Gap bore his name for 20 years.

 

Fairy Street Scene shared by George Porterfield

 

"FAIRY, TX." The Handbook of Texas Online

 

 
Home ] Up ] EARLY SETTLERS AT FAIRY ] ITEMS OF FAIRY ] FAIRY POST OFFICE ] FAIRY BAPTIST CHURCH ] FAIRY CHURCH OF CHURCH ] FAIRY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH ] FAIRY PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH ] FAIRY SCHOOL ] FAIRY REGISTERED VOTERS, 1937 ] FAIRY CEMETERY ]


People and Places: Gazetteer of Hamilton County, TX
Search this site powered by FreeFind

Copyright © March, 1998
by Elreeta Crain Weathers, B.A., M.Ed.,  
(also Mrs.,  Mom, and Ph. T.)

A Work In Progress