DEAD MANíS BRANCH "heads two miles south of the Owens
crossing on the Cowhouse, runs down the old
Hamilton and Evant
road, empties into the Cowhouse below the Owens bridge. In
the early seventies (1870's) a young man that was going from West Texas
to his home in South Texas was murdered by a young man he was
traveling with and buried on the branch a half mile south of the bridge.
Later the young manís father put up a marble slab at the grave. It
stands there yet but the body has been moved to his fatherís
home."--Doris LaRue Stapleton and Capt. C. E. Horton.