Where Born : Coryton England
Occupation : Blacksmith / Farmer
Died : 9/6/1934 . . Robert Walter's
Death Certificate . N.S.W. cert # 8537/22
Where Died/Buried : Brunswick Heads / C of E Cemetery
Brunswick Heads This Cemetery is no longer in existance
Parents Names :H . John
. . Reddacliff . . (b.1804...d..
) & .H
. . (b.1808.....d.)
Spouse's Name :H .
. McAuley. (b.1/12/1854..d.4/8/1936)
Date Married : 1872
Where Married : unknown
Spouse's Parents William
. McAuley . (b....d.)&
Helen (Ellen ) McGowan #(b....d.)
to Start page
- To follow
Descendent line click on Surname only but
- If this symbol is
H . click on their christian
name to go to their own history page.
- 1 . H . Robert .
Walter . Reddacliff . (b.12/2/1873..d.14/4/1960
m H .Mary A
- 2 . H
. Reddacliff . .
(b.2/11/1875..d.1947). mH . Ethel M .
. (b. ..d3/10/ 1926)
- 3 . H
. John . Reddacliff . (b.23/11/1877..d.27/5/1960.)
& H .
. J . McDonald .
- 4 . H
. Ellen . Reddacliff . ( b.1879 -
Samuel . Henry . Johnson .
- 5 . H
. . Reddacliff . (b1881..d1942.)**H .
. Lucy Jane . Johnson . (1b.878..d.1950..)
- 6 .
H .. Grace .
Edith . Reddacliff . (b.24/10/1883..d.7/5/1941)
m H .
. Henry . Walsh .
- 7 . H
. Elizabeth . Reddacliff .
(b.30/8/1885..d.12/7/1948) m 12/12/1911 m. H .
. Strange . Pillidge
.( b. 14/6/1883..d19/9/.1949)
- 8 . H
. E . Reddacliff . (b.1/12/1892....b.)
- 9 .
H . Arthur
. Reddacliff . (26/1/1894..d.1976
) & ..H
. Gladys . McCloy.
- 9 .
. Reddacliff . (b.26/1/1894...b.1976)*
. Paterson .
- 10 .
H . .Matilda
. J (Till or Tillie). Reddacliff . (b.19/3/1896..d..)
. .(Dick) . Norman
- 11 .H
Levinia . Mabel . Reddacliff . (b .
13/8/1898..d.18/4/.1957.) m 1925 .H .
. Herbert . Sherar
- 12 . Frederick James. Reddacliff
- 13 . Susanah . Reddacliff
. ( b.1890..d.1891)
& Achievements :
Items below are in our possetion and can be if wished sent by
- Robert Walter Reddacliff and two of his brothers
John Reddacliff and James Reddacliff came to Australia
together. Robert was one of the earliest settlers Of
- This Interview Appeared in a newspaper
- We believe it was
written about 1949-1950 The interview refered to Walter Robert Reddaclif
. One could say with reasonable certainity that most of
the buildings mentioned are no longer standing . This
item was typed 12/7/1999 some of the wording makes no
sense and is spelt wrong but it is as is.
- By Bullock Track
- Old Resident
Recalls the 80's
- Some interesting facts about
the early days of the district were brought to light in
an interview by a staff reporter with one of the
districts oldest inhabitants, Mr. W. R. Reddacliff, last
week. Mr. Reddacliff, who is 77 years old, came here in
1882 with his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. R. W.
- To get to
Mullumbimby it was necessary to travel from Byron Bay to
Brunswick Heads along the beach and thence to Mullumbimby
by boat or bullock track
- Mr. Reddacliff
recalled that they left Byron Bay at 2 o'clock in the
morning to get along the beach while the tide was out.
After being bogged in quicksand at the Belongil they
arrived at Brunswick in time for breakfast.
- The next stage of
the journey was made by boat and the party landed behind
where the bowling green now is and walked to Myocum.
- Mullumbimby, when
they arrived, consisted of two houses built on the river
bank near where Mr. W. R. Squires now lives.
- The original Post
Office at Brunswick Heads was on North Beach, as also
were the store and most of the residents. The Post Office
was run by Captain Simpson. A few years after Mr. O'Mally
was appointed Post Master and about 1890 a Post Office
was built were Wakely's store now stands.
- Brunswick was
realy going ahead by 1890 boasted four stores. Mr.Jacklun
combined store keeping with butchering between the school
and the river, Mr. Stone had a store on the North Beach
and Mr. Haines was situated where Wraight's Bus terminal
is now. Another store stood on what is Mallam's vacant
- The first hotel
was owned by Mr. Marshal, who later built a hotel in
Mullumbimby where the Court House Hotel now stands, and
another was later built by Mr. Harry Stone on the corner
where Mallam's store is.
- The Police Station
at Brunswick Heads was established in 1890and was
complete with lock-up.
- About every six
weeks a boat called at Brunswick with provisions and
loaded cadar. A short time after a steamer from Brisbane
also began to call for pine.
- The old wreck on
the North side of the river was there before Mr.
Reddacliff came to the distrirct.
- All provisions and
mail came through Bruswick Heads and if you wanted to
post a letter you had to take
- it to the Heads.
- After the railway
went through Mullumbimby the Post Office was shifted and
the complete Police
transported.The first hotel at Mullumbimby was built by
Mr. McGowan and was near the present Council Chambers.
- A store was built
along side it by Mr. Livingstone. Mr. Reddacliff's father
was the first blacksmith in the district and also owned
the first cow.
- To Mr.
Reddacliff's knowledge there have only been two riots in
- Mr. Alex Brown,
who died recently at Coraki aged 90, was another old
resident and helped to build the Police Station at
Brunswick. Another man who helped build the barracks was
the first to be locked up in them.
- To quote Mr.
Reddacliff "after the line went through Mullumbimby
the Heads went Bung" The first
- school in
Mullumbimby was built where the race course is. END
- Early Postal
- Postal records
held in the Historical Section of Australia Post indicate
that a non-official Recieving Office was established at
Mullumbimbyon the 1st, of April 1889. The first recieving
office keeper was R .W. Reddacliff, who was recommended
by the local residents, and he recieved an allowance of 5
pound per annum . Recieving Officers were the lowest
grade of non-official officers, and provided only the
most basic postal facilities. They were issued with a
small advance of postage stamps and postal notes for
sale, and residents wishing to transact any other type of
postal buisness, such as money orders or telegrams, were
obliged to travel to a larger office , which in this case
of Mullumbimby was Brunswick, were a non-official post
office had been established in 1882. Brunswick became a
Telegraph office on the 3rd of June, 1884
- Status Raised
- On the 16th of
April, 1891 the status of the office was raised from
Recieving Office to non-official Post Office and the
Postmaster Reddacliff's allowance was increased to 10
pound per annum. he was assisted in the post office by
James Reddacliff, who did not recieve any official
renumination. For the yera 1891,the office had 1,122
letters posted. and earned a total postal revenue of 24
- Family Links :
- Back to surnames
- © Copyright B & M Chapman
- Last revised: November 28, 2000.