Wirt County, West Virginia
Two miles up Tucker's Creek from Elizabeth, on Shears Farm.
Latitude 39°03'27.4"N / Longitude 81°25'56.1"W
Compiled December 2002
If you have any questions or information please contact Molly.
Note, text in red represents data not found on the gravestones.
- Alfred B. (Beauchamp) Ball, b. 8 October 1833, d. 8 March 1870 (or 18 October 1859), w/o Martha M. Smith, m. 25 March 1855, s/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball.
- Ann W. (Anna Wiley) Ball, b. 20 April 1775, d. 26 April 1850, w/o Alan Ball, m. 31 December 1801, d/o George & Mary Wiley.
- Anna L. (Louisa) Ball, b. 26 September 1868, d. 1952, d/o Barnet Foley & Rebecca Good Ball.
- Barnet F. (Foley) Ball, b. 30 (25) May 1831, d. 9 May 1917, h/o Rebecca F. Guthrie Good Ball, m. 25 December 1861, s/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball.
- David O.C. (Otis Columbus) "Doc" Ball, b. 18 September 1866, d. 29 November 1946, s/o Barnet Foley & Rebecca Guthrie Good Ball.
- E. (Evander) D. Squire "Eva" Ball, b. 14 October 1862, d. 1959, h/o Zona Rogers Ball, m. 1900, s/o Barnet Foley & Rebecca Good Ball.
- Isabella R. (Rebecca) "Belle" Ball, b. 17 July 1864, d. 1950, d/o Barnet Foley & Rebecca Guthrie Good Ball.
- Jefferson D. (Dillon) Ball, b. 26 January 1846, d. 27 January 1856, s/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball.
- Mary A. (Artemicia) Ball, b. 14 June 1838, d. 15 March 1853, d/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball.
- Mary B. (Bennett) Ball, b. 19 March 1806, d. 22 July 1865, w/o William Samuel Ball, m. 30 January 1823, d/o John & Jane Wilson Bennett.
- Rebecca F. (T.) (Guthrie Good) Ball, b. 1 March 1838, d. 2 April 1900, w/o Barnet Foley Ball, m. 25 December 1861.
- Selina E. (Ethel) Ball, b. 1877, d. 1958, d/o Barnet Foley & Rebecca Guthrie Good Ball.
- William (Samuel) Ball, b. 1801, d. 1846 (17 April 1848, proven by Will), h/o Mary Bennett Ball, m. 30 January 1823, s/o Alan & Anna Wiley Ball.
- Zona R. (Rogers) Ball, b. 1870, d. 1948, w/o Evander D. Ball, m. 1900.
- Ball Twins, could be James Peyton and Mary Etta b. & d. 5 July 1868 or Lucy and Thomas b. & d. 20 June 1869, (or both sets of twins) children of James Posey and Mahetable Butcher Ball.
- Israel Barnes, b. 12 August 1813, h/o Geney (Jane) Ann Ball Barnes, m. 13 February 1838.
- Geney (Jane) Ann (Ball) Barnes, b. 27 May 1823, d. 1901, w/o Israel Barnes, m. 13 February 1838, d/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball. It seems unlikely that Jane Ann is actually buried here. Jane Ann died in Republic County, Kansas at the home of her brother, J. P. Ball. Jane Ann Ball Barnes seems to be buried in the Elizabethtown Cemetery in Hartford City, Indiana. A son, William Newton Barnes and family lived there. There is also a stone in that cemetery for Israel Barnes.
- Jane W. (Wilson) Bennett, pioneer, b. 1774, w/o John Bennett.
- John Bennett, pioneer settler on Tucker's Creek, b. 1772, h/o Jane Wilson Bennett, s/o Jacob & Martha Hughes Bennett.
- Cora Bell Berry, d. 5 November 1868, aged 2 months 11 days, d/o M. (Madison) H. & M. E. J. (Mary Emma Jane Barnes) Berry.
- Berry Infant daughter of M. (Madison) H. & M. E. J. (Mary Emma Jane Barnes) Berry, b & d. 29 August 1874.
- Jennie B. Berry, b. 8 March 1865, d. 19 November 1872, age 7 years 8 months 11 days, d/o M. (Madison) H. & M. E. J. (Mary Emma Jane Barnes) Berry.
- M. (Madison) H. Berry, b. 20 March 1842, d. 3 January 1882 (1884), Lieutenant, Company E, 11th West Virginia Infantry.
- Mary (Elizabeth) "Mamie" Ball Boone, b. 24 March 1873, d. 22 August 1918, nurse in World War I. Mamie was cleared to go overseas but suddenly became ill and had to have an operation from which she did not recover.
- Deem, Infant d. 15 September 1870, daughter of Washington & Fannie (Sarah Frances Barnes) Deem. (Sarah Frances Barnes Deem is d/o Israel and Geney (Jane) Ann Ball Barnes).
- Eaton, Infant of Emery & Ida Eaton, b. & d. 14 February 1899.
- James D. Gates, b. 1819-1821, d. 11 July 1875 near Rockport, s/o Thompson & Sarah Gold Gates, h/o Abigail E. Matheny. Weekly State Journal, Thursday July 22, 1875, page 2, col. 9, "Killed By Lighting - on Saturday evening last. Mr. James Gates of Wirt Co. left home to visit Rockport. On the way a storm came up and he took refuse under an oak tree for shelter, where both himself and horse were instantly killed by lighting. He was interred the following day. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his life." - Inquirer.
- Thompson Gates, pioneer, s/o David Gates (previously given here as s/o Samuel & Martha Wiley Gates), h/o both Sarah Gold and Sarah McClain.
- Louisa F. (Louisa Frances Ball) "Fanny" Hayes, b. 4 November 1843, d. 22 March 1900, w/o C. P. Hayes, m. 17 February 1867, d/o William Samuel & Mary Bennett Ball.
- William P. Mercer, b. 19 December 1845, d. 19 January 1890, s/o J. J. & R. Mercer, h/o Martha Mercer.
- Lottie W. Milstead, d. 17 June 1899, aged 11 years 9 months 14 days, adopted d/o C. P. and Louisa F. Hayes.
- Emory W. Roberts, d. 18 February 1870, aged 11 months 21 days, s/o Isaac and Margaret Elizabeth Ball Roberts, (Margaret Elizabeth Ball was the d/o William Samuel and Mary Bennett Ball).
This page last modified 12 August 2006.