Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   




The recorded history of the Garfat Family begins in the year 1700 with the birth of William Garfutt. William married Dorothy Wilson in STOKESLEY Yorkshire, England. Notice the spelling of the name. Throughout our research, the name has appeared as Garfutt. Garfet, Garfit, Garfitt, Garfatt and of course Garfat and now we have found a Yarfit. By comparing ages, dates of events and spousal and childrens names, connections have been made and later verified. The Family Tree, located elsewhere in the record, is true to the best of our knowledge.


THE BEGINNING AS WE KNOW IT


The family history begins with William Garfutt and Dorothy Wilson (b:1713 in Crayke, Yorkshire, England) Not much is known about William and Dorothy at this time, other than the fact that they resided in YORKSHIRE England. They gave birth to a son, William, in 1733, and again, other than the fact that this William had three wives, not much is known about them as well.The union between William and the first wife, Elizabeth Elvick (m:1756) produced 3 children.(see family tree) William and his second wife, Mary Rowland, (m: 1763) were apparently childless. The third wife, Sara Stockdale (m:1764) gave birth to 5 children including one son, John.


Inscription of
accompanying photo

In Memory of
William Garfat,
39 years
Clerk of the Parish,
Who died
Sept 8(?) 1816.




John was born in 1770, in GARFORTH, Yorkshire. He was raised in this Parish and moved on to STOKESLEY where he became prominent in the manufacturing of linen. (see here)). John married (wife unknown) and a son, William was produced in 1792. William met and on November 28th, 1816, married Margaret Taylor, in STAINTON IN CLEVELAND, and while William plied his trade as a tailor, (see here) Margaret gave birth to three sons, Francis 1818, John, 1819, and William James, 1823

William and Margaret settled in SEAMER IN CLEVELAND(also known as SEAMER NEAR STOKESLEY), and after a period of 10 years, the William Garfat Family decided to migrate to Canada and in 1833, boarding the ship ~Addison~ in Whitby, Yorkshire England. They disembarked in Quebec City and travelled west to East Whitby Township, Province of Ontario. The hub of this Township was the small Port of Oshawa. William, with his wife Margaret and their three sons, Francis, age 14 years, John, age 13 years, and William James, age 8 years, set up home. William Sr. was a master tailor and thus provided for his family. A daughter Hanna was born here in 1838.

The East Whitby Township Directory of 1866 indicate William and Margaret, owning property on Concession 2, Lot 13. This property would be located near the center of present day Oshawa. As William had passed away the previous year, it is assumed that Margaret was the resident at the time when the census for this directory was taken.


THE PIONEER MEMORIAL GARDEN

The Pioneer Memorial Gardens was the original Wesleyan Methodist Church and burial grounds located two blocks west and one block north of the centre of present day Oshawa.This cemetery is one of the links with the historical past of Oshawa. Many of the original settlers and their families were either originally buried in the Pioneer Memorial Cemetery or transferred here in 1949 from other sites.. In 1949, the church was removed and the grave markings were enshrined in 6 memorial walls. Here we find William and Margaret Garfat interred, and as you read the following inscription on the tombstone (see here for photo) you will note that William was a prominent figure within the church community :


In memory of
WILLIAM GARFAT
who died
March 6, 1865
aged 72 y rs & 7 mo s
His end was peace

MARGARET GARFAT
who died
Sept.27, 1866
aged
73 years

THIS STONE WAS ERECTED BY THE
MEMBERS OF HIS CLASS IN GRATEFUL
REMEMBRANCE OF HIS MANY VIRTUES
AND OF THE ANXIOUS SOLICITUDE WITH
WHICH HE WATCHED OVER THEIR SPIRITUAL
AND ETERNAL INTERESTS


There is a plaque mounted in the cemetery giving a brief history of its existence and reads as follows:


THE PIONEER MEMORIAL GARDEN


IN 1881 THIS PLOT OF LAND WAS CONVEYED TO
WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH AS THE SITE OF
A CHAPEL AND BURYING GROUND. HERE REST
MANY OF THE EARLY PIONEERS OF THIS DISTRICT.
THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED IN 1949 BY SIMCOE
STREET UNITED CHURCH, OSHAWA, IN MEMORY
OF THOSE WHOSE NAMES ARE INSCRIBED HEREON
AND OF OTHERS NOT SO RECORDED WHO ALSO
SLEEP HERE. .

Francis and William James became employed as labourers owning property at several locations in the township. John apparently resided in the Darlington Township area, raising a family, and providing for them through farming. Little, at this time, is known about Hanna.

Francis met and married Jane Woodwark, and together they raised 5 children, Jane Hanna, 1840, Ann, 1843, William, 1847, and Alice, 1849. The 1846-47 Whitby Directory indicate Francis owning property on Concession BF (broken frontage), lot 14. Sometime between then and 1850, the family moved to Concession BF, lot 22. The 1878 East Whitby Directory indicates another move and lists Francis, Jane and Alice residing at 8 Athol Street South. It is presumed that the rest of Francis's family had moved on by this time. Further research indicate that this property is Cons.2, lot 13, the home of William and Margaret, and it appears that Francis assumed ownership of the property as he is indicated as owner in the 1869-70 Directory of the Township.

The 1871 census indicate John, wife Elizabeth, sons James, age 22, Joseph, age 20, along with daughter Selina, age 17, living in the Township of Darlington, Ontario.In the book "A Place Called Solina", the John Garfat farm was noted as lot 28, Cons 7, about half a mile north of the centre of the community known as Solina,in the old Township of Darlington and is now known as the Township of Clarington. Although the area is now part of a sprawling Oshawa City, it is still rural in appearance, and roughly 10 to 12 miles north of the centre of the city. John Garfat was apparently the first owner of this property and is noted as one of the pioneers of the area, sharing the lands with dense brush and wild animals. In later years, this area of the 7th concession became known as 'Millionaires Row' owing to the prosperity of the property owners and the large brick dwellings. There where two houses on the property, the original pioneer home and the fine brick home that was built later.Sometime after 1947, the old farm house was torn down. John was a leader of his community and church, and well respected. When he passed away, not only did James inherit the farm, but also came to gain the respect and standing his father had within the same community. James apparently retired in 1926, and after selling the farm, moved to Brooklyn Ontario, a short distance to the west.


Canadian Statesman
Solina News: ( Jan 14th, 1926 )
Friends of Mr. & Mrs. James Garfat and Mr. James Abraham bid good-bye before they left for new home in Brooklin.
It was reported in the "Canadian Statesman", a local newspaper that still publishes to this day, that there was a farewell party for James and Henrietta prior to their leaving Solina. The Township Reeve, Mr. Thomas Baker was present and made a speach. Also speaking was Mr. Charles Shortridge and the Reeve's wife, Mrs Baker.  Mr. Norman Van-Nest entertained on the  piano during the party.

Joseph moved to western Ontario.(Important New information coming soon about Joseph) Margaret, the eldest, had married a Thomas Stainton in 1868. Margaret passed away two years after her marriage, having no children. Thomas remarried (Phylina Scott 1843 -1933 ) and fathered 4 children, Elmer (1891-1918), Maggie E (1875-1900),Walter Scott (1878-1882), and Gertrude (1889-1889). All are interred in a little cemetery behind the Zion United Church in Mitchell's Corners, approximately 6 km from the farm. Unfortunately, at time of writing, no further information is available on Selina.
See here for life on the farm in the 1800s

William James married Jane Kilpatrick in Darlington Ontario and apparently returned to East Whitby Township to raise their family, Barbara Anne, 1850, John Wesley 1852, William James Jr 1856, Margaret 1858, Emily 1861, Emma Isabel 1863..... Jane passed away on the 18th of November, 1864, when the children were very young and was interred in Oshawa Union Cemetery within her family plot. The family verbal history, as told to me, noted that William James Jr, who was eight at the time of his mother's passing, was raised by an uncle who had a son named William as well. It is presumed by the writer that this uncle was Francis. The verbal history also mentions a Joseph, but not the relationship with William James Jr. Again, presuming that the Francis was the uncle, it could be that Joseph was a cousin, son of John.

William remarried to Margaret Jane McDonald (1829-1870) and a son, George, was born in 1867. Margaret Jane passed away in October of 1870. William married again to Florence and this union produce Anne Belle who died in infancy. When William passed away, he was also interred in the Oshawa Union Cemetery across the roadway from the Kilpatrick Family site. Though the headstones are no longer on the plots of William or Jane, a map of the cemetery notes their locations. Florence and baby Anne Belle are noted on the map as being interred in the same plot as William.
(There are several members of the Kilpatrick family resting here as well.)

William James Jr., met and married Elizabeth Ann Davis of Wales. The Directory of East Whitby Township note them residing at 11 Merchant Street, Whitby in 1878. The 1881 census indicate William James Jr and his family, including 14 year old George, living in London Ontario where William James Jr., plied his trade as a machinist. Together they raised a family of 3 boys and 4 girls. The family homestead was located at 16 Arthur Street London Ontario and was in the family from about 1914 through to about 1960.




2001 REUNION

GARFAT FAMILY TREES AND INFORMATION

Francis

John

William James

Hanna

Constitution

Members Stories

Kinship

Newsletter






Copyright Ken Waugh 2001/2002 All rights reserved.


Permission is granted for all free personal and non-commercial uses. It is my intention to make all data contained herein freely available for all private, non-profit and non-commercial uses. Commercial use of any portion contained herein is expressly prohibited.

LAST UPDATE: Friday,March 2nd,2001