New York Tombstone Transcription Project
DIRECTIONS: This cemetery is located just south of the Canadian Border, about 2 miles north of Cooks Mills, on a road running parallel to and east of the Chateaugay River. McLellan wrote: "Surrounded by iron fence -- overgrown -- about 100 feet in field (pasture). Not shown in topo map."
- I did not personally visit this cemetery nor have I verified any of the data.
- This cemetery was visited by W. McLellan July 16, 1949. This transcription was compared to a later one compiled by Elizabeth Menke & Eunice vanEss. Discrepencies are indicated in red.
- Thanks to Wayne Miller, Librarian at Special Collections, SUNY Plattsburgh, Plattsburgh, New York for access to McLellan's Cemetery Collection.
- When Mike & I attempted to photograph this cemetery, we were unable to gain access to the area. It is on posted property and there is a locked chain across the dirt road.
- Many thanks to Ken Fiebke for sending photographs of these stones!
John MITCHELL Sept. 5, 1785 - Nov. 3, 1848
Lydia SMITH His Wife Mar. 26, 1791- Oct. 7, 1880
Daniel MITCHELL Nov. 3, 1808 - Nov. 29, 1859
Alonson C. MITCHELL Sept. 5, 1819 - Mar. 3, 1851
James MITCHELL Aug. 24, 1822 - Feb. 27, 1897
On the right side:
James (Jane) E. BUSH Apr. 4, 1830 - Jan. 6, 1912
On the back:
1837 Daniel W. MITCHELL 1912
James, Mother, Father, Daniel, Daniel W.
John MITCHELL Died Nov. 3, 1848 Aged 63 years 3 mo. and 2 days
Alonson C. MITCHELL Died March 31, 1851 Aged 31 yr's & 6 mo's.
Alonson C. Son of A. C. & M. MITCHELL Died Mar. 15, 1851 Aged 4 mo's. (years)
Mary E. Daughter of A. C. & M. MITCHELL Died April 11 (1), 1850 Aged 1 year